Royalty Thread#12 Tiaras, Palaces & Gilded Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Sure, but sterile gloves came later. The biggest thing of importance is to sterilize the instruments and thoroughly wash hands. Even with sterile gloves, doctors and nurses thoroughly scrub their hands. What this has to do with gilded cages is a mystery. :D

I was making a joke. Thus the :lol:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I was making a joke. Thus the :lol:

I know. Thus the :D And I also laughed at your joke, I think. ;)

Oh, and @Coco, thanks for the heads-up regarding The Spanish Princess. I missed that series since I don't watch tv or subscribe to cable channels. Even though I ran :scream: at the description of 'tossing,' my destination was my local library website to request a copy of the DVD. :lol:

Judy

A new update on Meghan and Harry .. it’s a bit long.

Lorac

It's now official - the Sussex Royal brand will be dropped by Harry and Meghan. Not really surprised but they will have to rebrand everything they have been setting up. I always thought it was rather presumptive of them to release the webpage on the day Harry made the announcement that they were stepping back as making money from a royal title was always going to be in a grey area regardless of what the current webpage of the pair said about other royals already doing what they wanted to do!!

Harry and Meghan to end use of 'SussexRoyal' brand

taf2002

Poor grammar at times - sentences ending in prepositions.

Lorac

Quite an essay and still no clarification as to who will be paying for their security. And a definite swipe at the Monarchy for their having to drop the SussexRoyal brand.

Sorry guys but the Sussex title is an ancient royal Dukedom that is awarded to sons or grandsons of monarchs and there is an expectation of the recipients based on the Dukedom being awarded. In this case it was being valued and working members representing the Monarchy. Step down by all means as senior royals - and i wish them well going forwards - but don't expect to be able to use a senior royal title to make money.

If - as the Sussex fans state on social media - the Sussexes really are bigger than the BRF then they won't need a royal tag to help them move forwards will they 😉🤔

Last edited:

Judy

Quite an essay and still no clarification as to who will be paying for their security. And a definite swipe at the Monarchy for their having to drop the SussexRoyal brand.

Sorry guys but the Sussex title is an ancient royal Dukedom that is awarded to sons or grandsons of monarchs and there is an expectation of the recipients based on the Dukedom being awarded. In this case it was being valued and working members representing the Monarchy. Step down by all means as senior royals - and i wish them well going forwards - but don't expect to be able to use a senior royal title to make money.

If - as the Sussex fans state on social media - the Sussexes really are bigger than the BRF then they won't need a royal tag to help them move forwards will they 😉🤔

Where do you think the, swipe is?

mag

IMO there are a few swipes. When they talk about trademarks they bring up W&K, why do that? The comments about how they would have liked to go on doing some royal duties (the ones they liked) but were told no. Of course they were told no. Who has a job where they only do the parts they like? There are lots of boring Royal duties to do and when you do as many as Anne, then we might care, sheesh.

I found the tone fairly passive aggressive. It was their choice to put up a website without consulting with the Queen. Shockingly (not) she didn’t approve. It would have been much more impressive if they owned that. Meghan said in that ITV interview that they are happy to admit their mistakes. I haven’t seen any evidence that that is true.

ETA: I also find the part where they stress their website is the place for factual information. Yes, some of it is and some is opinion. There has also been lots of factual reporting. Just because they don’t like the reporting, doesn’t make it not factual.

Last edited:

MLIS

The tone of H&M’s statement definitely made me say yikes a couple of times. They didn’t get what they wanted, and they’re not happy about it. It still blows my mind that they launched that fancy website with all those details and apparently hadn’t discussed any of it with the Queen or Prince Charles. I bet if they had discussed it privately first they might have gotten more of what they wanted, or more negotiating at least, but doing it the way they did pretty much torpedoed any chance of that. As it is, they presented a list of demands, the Queen said LOL...nope!, and here we are. I don’t blame Meghan, really, but Harry should have known better. He’s been part of the highest levels of the “Firm” since he was born. He knows how these things work. And the Queen, loving granny though she may be, was never going to respond well to having her hand forced and being expected to negotiate all this in public.

mag

One more thing about that statement. Yes, other HRH’s make money. Beatrice works for a living, but she is not making money off her HRH. She is working at an actual job (which I would guess has parts she likes and parts she doesn’t like) which she works at because she does not have $30 million or so in inheritance while also being fully supported by the Duchy of Cornwall. That is quite different than getting speaking gigs because you are an HRH. Harry, while I am sure very interesting, if he were not a Prince, therapy or no, would not be getting speaking engagements. So to once again make the statement that others are doing it and we aren’t allowed is a bit much.

Lorac

As @mag said there were several little digs on the page but the one I was referring to was the one where in one breath they said:

While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word ‘Royal’, it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation will not utilise the name ‘Sussex Royal’ or any other iteration of ‘Royal.’

And a paragraph later they say:

While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.

So they acknowledge there are rules but claim there is no jurisdiction overseas to stop them using 'Royal'. Maybe but it is the 'Sussex Royal' moniker that was under scrutiny here - not 'Royal' alone - though that is a word protected in the UK against commercial usage and that is recognised internationally. As I said Harry was awarded the Royal Dukedom of Sussex in the expectation he would continue as a senior royal. He has now stepped back from that role so to be honest the title should itself be removed. The Queen hasn't done that but after consulting with lawyers and the Privy Council it was deemed the usage of 'Sussex Royal' in the manner Harry and Meghan wanted to use it was against the rules. I suspect Harry was well aware of that when he allowed the webpage to be released. He was clearly hoping the fact it was in the public domain would forced the hand of the Monarchy and Privy Council. Well it didn't work - and all it has done is stoked the SussexSquad uber stans on social media to post even more vile comments as they attack everyone who doesn't have Harry and Meghan up on a pedestal.

As to their webpage being the only place for 'factual' info - it is a mix of fact from their perspective and opinion that is coloured by their point of view. As @mag said just because you don't like the reporting elsewhere doesn't make it non-factual.

Last edited:

kittyjake5

No surprise about their website. If they are not working Royals they cannot use the term for potential profit. I don’t know who was advising them at the time but for me it was a no brainer. It should only be a small bump in the road for them. After March 31st their association with the firm will basically be over and they can move forward and do what they want. Seems like security will stay in place until review in 12 months. Best of luck to them!

Judy

To me it sounds largely like the legal agreement wording between the palace and them. As for the clarity/media thing I believe that this was stated so that the media wouldn’t put their own twist on things. It doesn’t bother me.

Tesla

Whippet Good

Am I missing something or did they change their statement? Because I see nothing wrong with what they wrote. I also don’t see any swipes. Just a matter-of-fact reporting of what they’re doing. 🤷‍♀️

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Sorry if this has already been posted, but apparently Peter Phillips (Princess Anne's son) recently did a Japanese TV ad for some kind of coffee creamer. He sat in a country field and talked about how the cows at Windsor gave the best milk. The caption identified him as "Member of the British Royal Family".

So I guess there are ways to cash in on being royal without having a title or an HRH...

Judy

Sorry if this has already been posted, but apparently Peter Phillips (Princess Anne's son) recently did a Japanese TV ad for some kind of coffee creamer. He sat in a country field and talked about how the cows at Windsor gave the best milk. The caption identified him as "Member of the British Royal Family".

So I guess there are ways to cash in on being royal without having a title or an HRH...

Lol that’s hilarious.

taf2002

OMG, if Prince Andrew could use his title to lure underage girls to have sex with him I should think it's alright for Harry to use Royal (which he is) or Duke, which if the Queen took it away would be a disgrace. Are we living in medieval times? The Queen is granting more favor to Andrew than to H&M who have done nothing more than wanting to live life out of the racial fishbowl & on their terms. I don't understand why the RF doesn't want them to do senior royal duties part of the year. They didn't cut the ties, the Queen & Charles have or maybe just the Queen. The "terms" as I read them are punitive which IMO is petty.

Lacey

I hope things can just carry on as if each team is living their sides of the story, royal or not--they are all still humans.

What is making me laugh is that People and US Magazines, both of which are United States centered, seem to be carrying on a competition--who can get more coverage, who will sell more magazines, who is the bigger cover story-- Meghan or Kate?

And so, perhaps it is not the royals or former royals who are stirring the pot, it is the press--perhaps giving us the two sides of the story or perhaps making things up or inflating them to sell mags and et cetera on-line clips. The parties involved and the "insiders" are probably all too busy to write books right now, but those are coming. Ridiculous!

Is it naive of me to want someone to start being honest. This Harry thinks...and the Queen feels...is nothing but nonsense.

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

I don't understand why the RF doesn't want them to do senior royal duties part of the year.
To avoid confusion and conflicts of interest. Meghan and Harry are going to be asking for money, for jobs. You can't have them representing the royals and the country one day and themselves the next, or people might feel pressured to give or think they can influence the government by donating. It also gives Meghan and Harry the freedom to take up causes that are too controversial or political for working royals, or even in opposition to government positions.

canbelto

I hope things can just carry on as if each team is living their sides of the story, royal or not--they are all still humans.

What is making me laugh is that People and US Magazines, both of which are United States centered, seem to be carrying on a competition--who can get more coverage, who will sell more magazines, who is the bigger cover story-- Meghan or Kate?

And so, perhaps it is not the royals or former royals who are stirring the pot, it is the press--perhaps giving us the two sides of the story or perhaps making things up or inflating them to sell mags and et cetera on-line clips. The parties involved and the "insiders" are probably all too busy to write books right now, but those are coming. Ridiculous!

Is it naive of me to want someone to start being honest. This Harry thinks...and the Queen feels...is nothing but nonsense.

In Touch and People are pretty well known as being unofficial spokepeople for the stars. They've been around for years and are very good at what they do, which is gain the trust of A list Hollywood stars who will selectively leak info to them. So if a story shows up on In Touch or People, you can bet that it had the tacit approval of the subject of the story. If I can make a comparison to figure skating In Touch or People are a bit like Christine Brennan, who draws from her relationship with figure skaters to get the inside scoop on many figure skating stories AND uses that inside track to break some truly shocking stories (like the John Coughlin and Morgan Cipres cases).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
To avoid confusion and conflicts of interest. Meghan and Harry are going to be asking for money, for jobs. You can't have them representing the royals and the country one day and themselves the next, or people might feel pressured to give or think they can influence the government by donating. It also gives Meghan and Harry the freedom to take up causes that are too controversial or political for working royals, or even in opposition to government positions.

Exactly. Like when Prince Charles tries to kill architectural projects he doesn't like, or when Fergie was busted for selling access to Prince Andrew for $$$$. You can be a royal and use "the right to be consulted, the right to encourage, the right to warn" to oversee Parliament and its lawmaking, or you can be an activist/businessperson. You can't be both.

smurfy

Couldn't someone just fake the sheet thing? I mean get a small cut etc etc etc??

I saw in some period piece movie ages ago, can not recall the name, but a maid gave a bride that was not a virgin a small vial of blood for her wedding night.

canbelto

With pharaonic circumcision the groom actually has to cut the woman open with a knife on her wedding night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information