Royalty Thread#12 Tiaras, Palaces & Gilded Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Sorry if this has already been posted, but apparently Peter Phillips (Princess Anne's son) recently did a Japanese TV ad for some kind of coffee creamer. He sat in a country field and talked about how the cows at Windsor gave the best milk. The caption identified him as "Member of the British Royal Family".

So I guess there are ways to cash in on being royal without having a title or an HRH...

Yep, already posted with links in the previous thread, page 34, post #1,013:

This post details the commercial escapades of the York clan as well! ;)

Oh-ho, and here's a bit of shade from the Sussexes' announcement:

"While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place."

Exactly, Harry and Meghan! You said it, and I'm glad you're pointing that out!

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
still no clarification as to who will be paying for their security.

Come on. There isn't ever going to be detailed clarification provided regarding security plans for the Sussexes. As far as security protection, the royals being protected never have much say over how the protective services do their jobs, nor any input regarding the allocation of funding for those services. In a recent panel discussion about the Sussexes on a British talk show, a security official point blank said they never discuss details about any aspect of security protection for the royals, because the very act of doing so compromises the security of the royals they are funded to protect.

In H&M's case, since they are residing outside of the U.K. and because they are such 'special puppies,' who everyone and their brother want to dissect, scrutinize and criticize on a daily basis, they may need to play a more prominent role in ensuring their own protection and perhaps covering some of the costs. But no one is going to be revealing precise details, so you can stop obsessing. As it stands, from the generally available information, individual British taxpayers supposedly pay less than a pound each annually for the protection of all the royals who receive police protection. Again, Scotland Yard is in charge of making security protection assignments and deciding how to do their jobs.

ETA:
This part of the Sussexes' statement should sufficiently cover your and anyone else's curiosity:

"It is agreed that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to require effective security to protect them and their son. This is based on The Duke’s public profile by virtue of being born into The Royal Family, his military service, the Duchess’ own independent profile, and the shared threat and risk level documented specifically over the last few years. No further details can be shared as this is classified information for safety reasons."

Last edited:

Judy

Come on. There isn't ever going to be detailed clarification provided regarding security plans for the Sussexes. As far as security protection, the royals being protected never have much say over how the protective services do their jobs, nor any input regarding the allocation of funding for those services. In a recent panel discussion about the Sussexes on a British talk show, a security official point blank said they never discuss details about any aspect of security protection for the royals, because the very act of doing so compromises the security of the royals they are funded to protect.

In H&M's case, since they are residing outside of the U.K. and because they are such 'special puppies,' who everyone and their brother want to dissect, scrutinize and criticize on a daily basis, they may need to play a more prominent role in ensuring their own protection and perhaps covering some of the costs. But no one is going to be revealing precise details, so you can stop obsessing. As it stands, from the generally available information, individual British taxpayers supposedly pay less than a pound each annually for the protection of all the royals who receive police protection. Again, Scotland Yard is in charge of making security protection assignments and deciding how to do their jobs.

Well in all honesty I doubt very much that the Royal family would ever want them to be unprotected.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well in all honesty I doubt very much that the Royal family would ever want them to be unprotected.

I'm simply responding to Lorac's post, not engaging in speculation about the royal family's views on security protection for the Sussexes.

It's plain as day that security protection for the Sussexes is of utmost importance. As stated on their website, "shared threats and risk levels [have been] documented specifically over the last few years."

I would certainly hope that no one wants a repeat of what happened to Diana PoW. That should go without saying.

Judy

OMG, if Prince Andrew could use his title to lure underage girls to have sex with him I should think it's alright for Harry to use Royal (which he is) or Duke, which if the Queen took it away would be a disgrace. Are we living in medieval times? The Queen is granting more favor to Andrew than to H&M who have done nothing more than wanting to live life out of the racial fishbowl & on their terms. I don't understand why the RF doesn't want them to do senior royal duties part of the year. They didn't cut the ties, the Queen & Charles have or maybe just the Queen. The "terms" as I read them are punitive which IMO is petty.

They can Use Duke and Duchess. This was clearly H&M’s to step down so doing it part time was never an option. You are either in or out. That doesn’t mean they couldn’t change their minds but I think it is unlikely.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The tone of H&M’s statement definitely made me say yikes a couple of times. They didn’t get what they wanted, and they’re not happy about it. It still blows my mind that they launched that fancy website with all those details and apparently hadn’t discussed any of it with the Queen or Prince Charles. I bet if they had discussed it privately first they might have gotten more of what they wanted, or more negotiating at least, but doing it the way they did pretty much torpedoed any chance of that. As it is, they presented a list of demands, the Queen said LOL...nope!, and here we are. I don’t blame Meghan, really, but Harry should have known better. He’s been part of the highest levels of the “Firm” since he was born. He knows how these things work. And the Queen, loving granny though she may be, was never going to respond well to having her hand forced and being expected to negotiate all this in public.

Seriously? It was confirmed by the Queen herself in her statement in mid-January that discussions had been ongoing with the Sussexes for several months. It's also been confirmed in a variety of subsequent reporting in the media. None of this was sprung on Harry's family. The fact is that Harry was told by Charles' people to put everything in writing, and Harry cautioned that by putting it in writing, he feared it might be leaked. Harry was instructed to put their plans in writing anyway, and he did. Unsurprisingly, details were leaked to Dan Wooten, who is known to have an affiliation with the Cambridge's communications official, Christian Jones.

After being made aware of the leak and planned publication by The Sun, Harry and Meghan made the decision to go viral with their website, so they could retain a measure of control over their plans. The truth of the matter is that the courtiers and certain royals were playing games with the Sussexes and humoring them along and putting up roadblocks, with the expectation that H&M would not have the gall to really leave. They didn't anticipate H&M having the guts and the courage to put an end to being used and abused inside the British monarchy's gilded cage. The Queen may not have been directly involved in the stonewalling strategy, but Harry had spoken to her directly about his desires. Neither the Queen nor Prince Charles were in the dark about any of the Sussexes' wishes.

Clearly, there was an effort afoot by royal courtiers and others to try and drag, blame, and scorched-earth finger-point H&M for everything. The very first response by the palaces to reporters was that, "The Sussexes will be punished for this... The Duke of Cambridge is incandescent with rage..." And so on. And then those reactions were later backtracked after Tom Bradby, a journalist friend of Harry's spoke out on the Sussexes' behalf to counter the hardball. The courtiers and the Queen realized they were in an ugly stalemate and something needed to happen quickly. All of these details are widely available in the public domain as to what happened among the royal family from January 8 going forward. To be honest, Harry & Meghan have actually responded with as much grace as they possibly could under some very distressful circumstances, the ugly details of which they personally have not revealed. Even without the Sussexes going into detail, it's obvious that someone in the palaces gave the go ahead on a number of occasions to leak information about the Sussexes and to pass false information or bits and pieces of disconnected information to certain reporters about Meghan that the tabloids then used to construct lies and to disparage her character throughout her pregnancy.

No one in the royal family bothered to step up and defend Meghan against the press bullying, nor even to present a united front against the death threats and the vile caricature of Meghan that the BBC had the temerity to broadcast. Let alone the fact no one in the royal family made a peep about the radio host who tweeted a picture inferring that newborn Archie is a baby chimpanzee. George Clooney was brave enough to be the first to speak out on behalf of Meghan when the bullying and targeting relentlessly escalated in the fall of 2018. The dragging continued apace to the point where Meghan's close friends were adamant about setting the record straight and speaking out to People in early 2019, and they were given the okay to do so anonymously.

Meghan's fans from around the world also reacted by launching a number of podcasts to support the Sussexes in a positive way. Efforts on Twitter also led to the very successful #GlobalSussexBabyShower fundraising effort during the spring of 2019, which raised a lot of money for a number of Sussex charities. The most recent project was the Sussex tree-planting initiative which I've mentioned previously. The point is that all the hate and OTT vilification has only served to give the Sussexes a higher profile and a more devoted fan following.

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully, one day in the distant future more details of the real, sad inside story of what the Sussexes have had to endure will be revealed.

Meanwhile the tabloid headlines demonstrate the vile culpability of the media. Here's one compilation:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Actually there are lots of skeletons in the royal family's closet, just as there generally tends to be in most families. It's just that the royal family is so ancient, so visibly high profile, so wealthy and privileged, and such fodder for media outlets.

I came across this tidbit due to the Snowdens recently being in the news. I hadn't read about this back in 2005, so although I recall something about this general story, the actual identity of the royal involved was kept quiet for the most part, especially in the U.K. It was written about in Australia, and by TMZ in the U.S. But David Linley, now the 2nd Earl Snowden, is not a senior royal and few people worldwide know who he is, so the story eventually died down.

The reason Linley's identity was initially safeguarded in the U.K. is because it is against the law in the U.K. to reveal the identity of a blackmailing victim in a prosecuted case. Also, Linley was not on the videotape in question as initially reported. An employee of his was targeted and was videotaped while drunk during which the employee made specific revelations about Linley of a sexual nature. Linley was subsequently contacted by the perpetrators and money reportedly was demanded in exchange for the tape. Linley contacted the police. Talk about fanfiction! Nope, it really happened:

Some details leaked out in the U.K., which led to attempts to deny the validity of the revelations made by the employee on the tape:
https://www.towleroad.com/2007/10/viscount-david/

Who knows how or whether this affected the marriage of Linley (now 2nd Earl Snowden) and his wife, Serena. Perhaps they decided to stay together while their two children were still young and reconsidered their relationship once the children were fully grown.

Speaking of Australian news coverage, the recent ITV documentary broadcast in the U.K. about the Sussexes stepping down was picked up by Australian 60 minutes. Unsurprisingly, the depiction of the ITV report was even more heavily slanted toward negativity in the Australian coverage. So for now, the negative narrative against the Sussexes continues to be implanted in the public consciousness. And some members of the public apparently enjoy lapping up the views that blame and attempt to disparage the Sussexes, especially Meghan:

:eek: In the opening monologue by the Australian bottom-feeder host, how on earth can M&H stepping down from royal duties be "more gobsmacking" than Prince Andrew's association with Jeffrey Epstein? :rolleyes:

But lest we forget, the British royal family has often over the years faced questioning regarding their relevance, and endured unpopularity. Sometime after Prince Charles married Camilla (circa 2005-2006), the monarchy's future was being questioned. And here's a revealing documentary made during that time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1oq8r8i_Ls

Notice at 26:22, where William's former lack of enthusiasm about becoming king is discussed. Notice the section where they honestly state that in his youth, Prince William got into similar trouble frequenting bars as Harry did, but that the "palace p.r. strong-armed the press to cover-up" William's transgressions. Still, William generally tends to be portrayed somewhat more favorably than Harry in this documentary. Around 18:52, writer Judy Wade observes: "The newspaper editors do deals saying, 'You give me another story and I won't write that bad one about William.' William has to be shielded, he has to be protected. He has to be whiter than white. All sorts of Machiavellian things go on in the palace. These people are fighting for survival." The narrator continues, "So Harry, the spare is typecast as the black sheep, and he only occasionally complains about the coverage he gets."

Nothing much has changed since then in terms of the relationship between the press and the monarchy. IOW, there continues to be similar deals wherein information is leaked to news editors, e.g., about Meghan or Meghan & Harry, in exchange for not writing about someone else, wink, wink: Andrew, et al.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Royal's "work" is showing up at public occasions where people want to rub elbows with them. TBH it's their only work. Minor royals just don't have the draw that the immediate family does. I think Harry esp is a tremendous draw, Meghan almost as much. One of the criticism of this split is that it puts a burden on the rest of the working family. So when in the UK I really just don't understand the RF not using them to share that burden. This is what I especially consider punitive & petty & maybe jealousy. It doesn't matter whether he uses his title or not, he will always be the same draw.

MsZem

I see the sea
Happy birthday to Princess Estelle! The future queen in 8 years old today and looks to have raided her mother's closet for the birthday portrait :)

Her cousin Princess Leonore turned 6 last week:

canbelto

@aftershocks the reason I asked you about Tumblr fanfic is that you're determined to write this narrative, based on nothing in particular, that there's this nefarious plan by Evil William to use his brother as a punching bag in order to cover up for his own Evil Misdeeds. There is absolutely no evidence for this. The evidence points towards something much more mundane -- that a brother gets married and the wife doesn't really get on with the in-laws. It happens every day, everywhere. It doesn't make anyone a bad person. People often just don't get on with their in-laws.

You also seem willing to ignore something that actually was a narrative -- the fact that while the Royal Rota and reliable news sources were covering Prince Andrew's misdeeds, the tabloids were inundating us with nonsense about feuds between Kate and Meghan. So MAYBE you could make the case that the royal family used Meghan as a shield to cover up much more embarrassing behavior from Andrew. But even as I said the royal rota was covering Andrew consistently. So much so that Andrew decided to take matters into his own hands with the disastrous BBC interview.

mag

Absolutely the Queen. and the rest of the family knew about H&M’s intention to step down for months.

Yes, but the website was clearly a surprise. If the Queen has been consulted about it, it would not have had so many errors.

Royal's "work" is showing up at public occasions where people want to rub elbows with them. TBH it's their only work. Minor royals just don't have the draw that the immediate family does. I think Harry esp is a tremendous draw, Meghan almost as much. One of the criticism of this split is that it puts a burden on the rest of the working family. So when in the UK I really just don't understand the RF not using them to share that burden. This is what I especially consider punitive & petty & maybe jealousy. It doesn't matter whether he uses his title or not, he will always be the same draw.

This is not the only Royal work. Harry’s work with Inviticus, Meghan’s work on the cookbook, Kate’s work on the Early Years and the Big 5 Questions, William’s work with mental health and footballers, Prince Charles and The Prince’s Trust, the list goes on. They do far more than just show up and shake hands. Yes, some engagements are just that, but many are not.

Why then, is the Firm acting so insulted, and surprised by this; when they knew it was coming?
PR. Making themselves be the victim & the Sussexes be the villain.

We have no idea what “the firm” is thinking. We only know what has been reported. It wouldn’t shock me that they were insulted by the launch of the website, but then I think Royal reporters often do get stuff right - even when it is denied. They got the William / Harry rift right even though that was denied. They got the Sussexes feeling isolated even though that was denied.

As for additional work now that the Sussexes have moved on, the vast majority of their engagements were associated with their tours and causes specific to them. Meghan was on maternity leave for most of last year. What they would have taken on in the future, yes. What they have done since their wedding the majority is not ongoing in the sense that someone will have to replace them.

Judy

Yes, but the website was clearly a surprise. If the Queen has been consulted about it, it would not have had so many errors.

This is not the only Royal work. Harry’s work with Inviticus, Meghan’s work on the cookbook, Kate’s work on the Early Years and the Big 5 Questions, William’s work with mental health and footballers, Prince Charles and The Prince’s Trust, the list goes on. They do far more than just show up and shake hands. Yes, some engagements are just that, but many are not.

We have no idea what “the firm” is thinking. We only know what has been reported. It wouldn’t shock me that they were insulted by the launch of the website, but then I think Royal reporters often do get stuff right - even when it is denied. They got the William / Harry rift right even though that was denied. They got the Sussexes feeling isolated even though that was denied.

As for additional work now that the Sussexes have moved on, the vast majority of their engagements were associated with their tours and causes specific to them. Meghan was on maternity leave for most of last year. What they would have taken on in the future, yes. What they have done since their wedding the majority is not ongoing in the sense that someone will have to replace them.

yes but the Queen being “surprised” still only comes from media.

mag

yes but the Queen being “surprised” still only comes from media.

First, the media has been correct about most of what was going on, and second, why would they have released a website they have to walk back so substantially if they knew in advance they would have to walk it back? I don’t think either Harry or Meghan are that foolish.

I have no idea why they released the website in its original form, but I think it is pretty clear they thought they could do what they said they wanted to do on the website - or at least pretty close to that.

Judy

First, the media has been correct about most of what was going on, and second, why would they have released a website they have to walk back so substantially if they knew in advance they would have to walk it back? I don’t think either Harry or Meghan are that foolish.

I have no idea why they released the website in its original form, but I think it is pretty clear they thought they could do what they said they wanted to do on the website - or at least pretty close to that.

There’s always more to the story that we will never know that is not just the media’s spin about it. I’ve seen that myself seeing my Canadian press report on stories where I’ve know the real details. There’s only so much that the one side can say though so I always factor that in.

Lacey

Seriously? It was confirmed by the Queen herself in her statement in mid-January that discussions had been ongoing with the Sussexes for several months.

WHOLE POST STARTING ABOVE AND ENDING BELOW:

Meanwhile the tabloid headlines demonstrate the vile culpability of the media. Here's one compilation:

Aftershocks, surely you must be aware that your posts on this board on just about any subject are not always taken lightly or nicely, but I have to say that you are spot on here, congratulations, I agree with it all!!!

Judy

Aftershocks, surely you must be aware that your posts on this board on just about any subject are not always taken lightly or nicely, but I have to say that you are spot on here, congratulations, I agree with it all!!!

The only thing I don’t agree with is that William was using staff to undermine Harry. i don’t buy that.

Lacey

@Judy, I can see what you mean on that one detail, but could it have been the staffs fighting more than the royals (or former royals).

Judy

@aftershocks the reason I asked you about Tumblr fanfic is that you're determined to write this narrative, based on nothing in particular, that there's this nefarious plan by Evil William to use his brother as a punching bag in order to cover up for his own Evil Misdeeds. There is absolutely no evidence for this. The evidence points towards something much more mundane -- that a brother gets married and the wife doesn't really get on with the in-laws. It happens every day, everywhere. It doesn't make anyone a bad person. People often just don't get on with their in-laws.

You also seem willing to ignore something that actually was a narrative -- the fact that while the Royal Rota and reliable news sources were covering Prince Andrew's misdeeds, the tabloids were inundating us with nonsense about feuds between Kate and Meghan. So MAYBE you could make the case that the royal family used Meghan as a shield to cover up much more embarrassing behavior from Andrew. But even as I said the royal rota was covering Andrew consistently. So much so that Andrew decided to take matters into his own hands with the disastrous BBC interview.

Oh there can be no doubt that the British press takes on frivolous issues with the Royals (aside from Andrew).

aftershocks

Banned Member

The Royal Rota was not and is not covering Andrew consistently. They aided and abetted in the sweeping of Andrew's Epstein-related transgressions under the rug over a number of years. Of course Andrew's people were part of leaking stories to the press about Meghan. I suspect Andrew's people were behind the week-late dredging up of the faux, non-story about Meghan's visit to Wimbledon last year because it was around the time that Epstein resurfaced in the news in the U.S.

Of course the Kate vs Meghan faux feud stories and the dragging of Meghan which began after the Sussexes' returned from their successful South Pacific tour were used to 'shield and cover-up more embarrassing' scuttlebutt about William's gossiped affair with Rose Hanbury and about Andrew's more serious Epstein problems. As well, the Kate vs. Meghan nonsense served to shield attention away from the real feuding between Harry & William, and the breakdown of their relationship. The fact that the brothers were sibling rivals since childhood and always got into arguments with each other and with their father was rarely talked about publicly because Camilla was formerly the tabloid media's go-to target in a bunch of questionable stories about how she dislikes Kate and they are always at loggerheads -- not true. The actual truth is that Kate and the York sisters have been frosty. That's why Bea and Eugenie wore those OTT hats to W&K's 2011 wedding, and because they were miffed about their mother not having been invited.

It is also true (as confirmed in part by the earlier documentary I linked) that the age-old portrayal of Harry as the wild, 'mentally unstable' spare & third wheel vs calm, supportive, level-headed William heir to the throne, is always used as the go-to fictional narrative. In reality, behind-the-scenes, everyone knows how difficult both brothers can be and have been. Neither one of them are angels. But at least Harry had to learn from his mistakes the hard way, and he finally grew up while serving in the military, and he began to come to some grips with his grief over his mother's death through creating Sentebale in Botswana with Prince Seeiso, and later founding the Invictus Games. And then voila! Harry had the good fortune to meet and fall in love with Meghan Markle. But life in the British royal family is not a fairy tale and once again, we are seeing that reality being played out. At least those of us who aren't drinking the kool-aid or being bamboozled by the tabloids and the 'gray men,' may have a better bead on what's been happening inside the gilded cage/ behind palace walls.

As opposed to Harry, William has never learned from his mistakes because he's never had to. That's the blessing and the curse of being heir to the British throne. A lot of the public surely find it difficult to believe ill of William and I can sympathize with that. I had a hard time believing ill of William too, until it became all too clear. OTOH, I wonder why it's easier for some people to think ill of Meghan, and by extension, of Harry? I always try to do my homework and read between the lines, and take my time before jumping to conclusions. At first, I didn't believe some of the stories about William. By now, it's obvious to me what has been happening, albeit still difficult for most people to believe, especially since it's crucial for the monarchy that the golden boy heir to the throne not have too much light shed on his shortcomings.

I read widely, and I've been closely following the royals since 2016. Before that I was a Diana fan, and a British royal aficionado dating back to the 1970s. I've read a number of biographies, watched documentaries, interviews, read books about British culture and the history of the British monarchy. I don't think I know everything, but I am able to put a lot of things into perspective, and also use common sense and navigate the mountain of crap and misdirected narratives.

Of course the dynamic changes when someone new marries into the family. But why is Meghan being so heavily scapegoated? The simple reality is that Meghan and Harry fell deeply in love and it's a rare love that incites jealousy. Plus, Meghan is unexpected and different, and thereby not fully accepted by some people. M&H nurtured their love and their bond grew, and Harry was determined to marry her and he was optimistic about them both being able to weather the serious problems that he knew existed behind palace walls. Harry's first-hand knowledge of the difficulties of being a Windsor is one reason why he wanted to step down from being a senior royal while in his 20s. He only remained back then out of love and respect for his grandmother. Marrying and having a son and being blessed to have the family he's always wanted has understandably shifted his priorities. But the scorched-earth slamming of his wife and the triggered memories of what happened to his mother, and especially the birth of Archie gave Harry the resolve to protect his marriage and his young family.

Initially, I don't think Harry fully anticipated his brother's and his sister-in-law's reactions to the over-attention he and Meghan have received in the media. Much less did Harry probably expect his wife to be targeted in the way she was from inside the palace. That's partly the reason they moved away from KP to Frogmore: it was the leaks which gave the press carte blanche against Meghan while she was pregnant! You don't have to believe why this happened against Meghan or even accept that it did happen (which is patently obvious if you read the British tabloid headlines from the fall of 2018 through to the present). Even going back to the fall of 2016, the tabloid media's attitude toward Meghan is obvious. Instead of the interest in M&H waning after their marriage, it only increased, which made them even more hot commodities and useful targets for the press and palace insiders.

There's a lot of jealousy, insecurity, and p.r. wrangling with the media going on as usual among the British royals. But way beyond the M&H saga is the simple fact that the British monarchy is going through a huge transition, which was happening well before Harry met Meghan. M&H coming together has only been the added spark that has brought enormous attention to the British royals, which has even further complicated the already complex relationship between the royals and the media. Bottom line: The Queen will not live forever, and the gray men and other palace staffers are fighting for their survival, just as the Windsors have been infighting, and just as the monarchy is always fighting for its continuation and popularity in the public imagination. A lot of courtiers and palace staffers will be without a job when the Queen dies, so the transitional infighting has been ensuing for awhile (e.g., between Charles & Andrew and their staffs, which culminated in the Queen's private secretary, Sir Christopher Geidt, stepping down in 2017, the same year that Prince Philip* retired from public duties). Meghan & Harry have simply served as convenient scapegoats amidst this current dramatic soap opera the royal family is experiencing.

*Another thing to keep in mind is that the Queen always left the family squabbles and family infighting to Prince Philip to sort out. Of course, Philip can't serve QE-II in sorting out family issues anymore. Obviously, Philip hasn't been the strong arm enforcer in the family arena for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information