RISE documentary will air Feb 11, 2021 on NBCSN

Barbara Manatee

To honor 60-year anniversary of the 1961 World Team tragedy, RISE will air on NBCSN on Feb. 11 at 10 p.m. ET.

Narrated by skating’s greats, RISE conveys personal accounts filled with lessons passed down, highlighting the connections within the sport that span more than half a century of its history. Case in point: Maribel Vinson Owen, who lost her life in the crash, coached Frank Carroll, who coached Kwan, who stars in the film.

“We got to figure out the connections between then and now,” Stern Winters said. “That’s definitely unique to skating. It’s the idea that Frank’s coach was Maribel, who passed her knowledge to Frank, who taught Michelle and so many other greats — even the skaters we’re watching today, who will pass on their knowledge to the next skaters after that.

“Skating is a very tight-knit family. All of these people are connected, and the lessons they’ve learned are passed down from generation to generation. Everyone shares a connection to the greats and to those lost in the crash.”

Have tissues handy.

barbk

I remember watching this 10 years ago when it came out in honor of the 50th anniversary. It's definitely worth the re-watch!
I was pretty disappointed in how little skating they showed. It felt like a documentary assembled by a committee with storytelling wasn't very compelling. :slinkaway

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I was pretty disappointed in how little skating they showed. It felt like a documentary assembled by a committee with storytelling wasn't very compelling. :slinkaway
That's a shame.

At least full coverage of the medal winners' individual performances from the 1961 US Championships is available out there on YouTube.

A.H.Black

NBCSN is also showing skating before and after Rise -

RISE will be shown at 10 p.m. ET. (check local listings), following a re-airing of the U.S. Figure Skating: 100th Anniversary Special at 8 p.m. ET and preceding an encore presentation of the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships: Best Of at 11:30 p.m. ET. (check local listings).
My local listings indicate US championships are before and the 100th Anniversary is after. I guess I will know when I see it.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
That’s why the DVD was issued as a set: the documentary + bonus DVD of the entire 1961 Nationals telecast, with Dick Button commentating. It was interesting how one of the Men’s competitors (who didn’t make the team) jumped off the ice into the entry/exit gate, then didn’t wait for his score!

Scott512

I just saw a preview of Rise on YouTube. I would love to see the movie. I'm a pretty good historian with sports and history but for some reason I don't remember hearing this tragic story before and would love to see the movie would and learn all about those that tragically perished in the plane crash going to worlds in Prague.

Sylvia

TBD
This GSD thread in February 2021 has links to retrospective articles :

ETA that I'll bump up the thread by linking to another article I just found with Peggy Fleming's memories.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information