RIP Angela Lansbury

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
RIP Angela Lansbury 😢

I've watched every episode of Murder, She Wrote probably a good 5-10 times through and I have all of the novels that have been written as an addition to the show. I even have a pillow with a collage of Jessica Fletcher moments. Sigh :( I grew up loving Bedknobs & Broomsticks, and matched with my love for murder mysteries from a young age, my grandparents got me into MSW when it was in its original run as they knew I'd love it.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
She also played a hard-talking saloon entertainer named Em (much older than her actual age of not quite 20 when it was filmed in 1945) in "The Harvey Girls" (released in 1946), opposite Judy Garland and Cyd Charisse.

I remember her being quoted as being hissed at in public or something like that because her character was mean to Judy's sweet but feisty ingenue.

What an amazing career for a wonderful and accomplished performer. RIP Jessica/Mrs. Potts/Mame Dennis.

VGThuy

As amazing as she was in Murder, She Wrote and in her films, she was really in her element on stage. In her prime, she was legendary. There’s a reason why she’s a five-time Tony winner:

IMO, the above clip shows you her incredible stage presence and her power as a leading lady of the stage. It gets really going starting in the 4 min, 43 sec. Part.

This above clip shows not only could she do the classic Broadway showtune, but she could do some of the most challenging Sondheim works. Her performance as Mrs. Lovett is unmatched, IMO.

emason

I read how she used to put certain older actors into Murder She Wrote to make sure they qualified for union health insurance. RIP
Madlyn Rhue was one of these actors; Rhue suffered from MS and was eventually confined to a wheelchair. Angela Lansbury created a recurring role for Rhue so that she had enough working hours to keep her union health insurance.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
I am very sad to hear of her passing. I loved Murder She Wrote. I'm a huge murder mystery fan and that show was one of my absolute favorites. Rest in Peace, thanks for the entertainment and memories.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Legit teared up at my desk when I heard about this. Was raised on Bedknobs and Broomsticks and then Murder, She Wrote.

Pure class, from her amazing talent and range to the way she treated others and handled fame.

The other Queen of England has died.

If you've never seen the original Manchurian Candidate, she's a revelation in that role.

Cachoo

I just saw “All Fall Down” for the first time recently. John Frankenheimer cast her as Warren Beatty’s fawning mother. She was a different character from her role in Frankenheimer’s “Manchurian Candidate” but in some ways just as damaged. She was excellent in both films.
“Mame” is a wonderful musical and the powers that be chose Lucille Ball for the film role even though Lansbury received rave reviews and her first of six Tony awards. The movie bombed with Lucy. It should have been Angela.
I also thought she was perfectly cast as the voice of Mrs. Potts in “Beauty and the Beast.”
And finally a little known role but I enjoyed her in a Christmas movie called “The Gift of Love” from 1983. It is dated in some ways but aren’t we all? It is on Tubi.
RIP dear lady.

emason

Another role in which Angela Lansbury was terrific was as Anna Leonowens in The King and I. Yul Brynner had been starring on Broadway opposite Constance Towers as Anna and Brynner had a contract-mandated vacation coming up. What could the producers do? There was no star of Brynner’s magnitude to cast as the king so the producers sent Constance Towers on vacation also and hired Lansbury for the duration and focused the show on Anna instead of the king. For whatever reason I had no interest in seeing Brynner but I sure hustled my buns to get a ticket to see Lansbury and she was great. I had seen Lansbury’s turn as Mama Rose in Gypsy a few years earlier and was thrilled to see her onstage again.

Last edited:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
She was the first actress who's name I could remember as a kid. Watching Murder, She Wrote on Sunday nights with my mom was a huge thing in our house and her voicing Mrs. Potts was definitely a contributing factor to why I loved Beauty and the Beast so much (the other reason was because Belle is the heroine who reads). Angela Lansbury was a huge part of my childhood. She lived a good long life and she will be missed. Her last role is a cameo in Rian Johnson's Glass Onion, the sequel to Knives Out.
If you've never seen the original Manchurian Candidate, she's a revelation in that role.
She's absolutely phenomenal in that role. It completely changed how I saw her as an actress.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Jessica Fletcher might have been her ultimate signature role, but I'm so glad many are remembering so many of her great performances. I thought immediately of Gaslight and the Harvey Girls, and thank you @A.H.Black for the reminder that she also played a pivotal role in the World of Henry Orient, one of my all-time favourite movies since I was a young girl.

MLIS

NYT tribute:
This article is a lovely tribute, but I particularly want to highlight the video interview that is embedded in it. She gave this interview years ago with the understanding that it wouldn't be released until after her death. Definitely worth a listen. She was remarkable.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Saw the news onTV. I got to know her through Murder she wrote. Loved her. I may have seen her in a moviebut haven't been able to get her two best - The Manchurian Candidate and Gaslight.
RIP

Asli

It’s a testament to Lansbury’s skills as an actor that she made even the preposterous plots of Murder She Wrote compelling.

My thoughts exactly! Flimsy plots and often mediocre and annoying guest actors, yet Angela Lansbury was able hold you in the palm of her hand throughout a zillion episodes. She took nothing for granted and filled every second with nuance, with depth, with imagination.

She was so warm and full of life, a comforting presence. I love her forever and I'm happy she lived a long life and was so beloved. :)

Here's a genius performance that I've watched over and over:

Olivier Awards Sondheim Tribute Part 1: Angela Lansbury sings "Liaisons"

And here she's accepting her first Olivier Award, aged nearly 90, for Blithe. :encore:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information