RIP Alex Trebek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
If he'd just stayed quietly behind the scenes and not pulled the "And the new host is ... ME!" stunt, he'd probably still have a job.

hoptoad

I'm hoping that their re-airing of Buzzy hosting the TOC is indicating that he's one of the frontrunners for host. He really was quite fantastic.
I'd never seen Buzzy before he guest hosted, but he was my favorite one. He just seemed to enjoy interacting with the contestants and to really love the game.

screech

I'd never seen Buzzy before he guest hosted, but he was my favorite one. He just seemed to enjoy interacting with the contestants and to really love the game.
Buddy was hilarious at times when he was a contestant and loved joking around with Alex. He even quoted from the SNL Jeopardy skits in his final jeopardy answers sometimes.

screech

Apparently after Mike Richards' episodes air, they are going back to a series of guest hosts, starting with Mayim Bialik, though nobody else has been announced. Mayim will be hosting 3 weeks of episodes.

From things I've been reading online, people are speculating it will (and should) be Buzzy. I hope he gets another turn as guest host. Along with Aaron Rodgers. And Levar Burton. I didn't enjoy him the first time round, but since his fans seem to think he was treated unfairly (despite having the same filming parameters as everyone else), maybe a second go-round will confirm his Jeopardy hosting abilities one way or another.

screech

So while it's absolutely right that Mike Richards is no longer the host of Jeopardy, I must say that while I didn't like him during his first stint, I am enjoying his hosting this time round.
Also, Matt Amodio, as polarizing as he is, is seriously fantastic.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So while it's absolutely right that Mike Richards is no longer the host of Jeopardy, I must say that while I didn't like him during his first stint, I am enjoying his hosting this time round.
That's interesting because I feel the opposite. Last night was SO low energy and boring.

screech

That's interesting because I feel the opposite. Last night was SO low energy and boring.
His first run I found he came across as smarmy, for lack of a better word. Ironically, I don't feel that this time round.

I know Mayim will be hosting next, and is the host for the specials, but a lot of people online are speaking out against her hiring as well, due to comments she's made in the recent past. I thought she did great during her initial run, but I wonder if the controversy around her will affect her role.

hoptoad

Also, Matt Amodio, as polarizing as he is, is seriously fantastic.
I haven't been watching while my sweetie is out of town and am going to wait another two weeks to catch up, but what is polarizing about Amodio? Did he say something outrageous?

Susan1

I haven't been watching while my sweetie is out of town and am going to wait another two weeks to catch up, but what is polarizing about Amodio? Did he say something outrageous?
He always answers with "what's........", never "what is a....." or "what is the......." or "who is......." if it's a person. It's extremely irritating.

smurfy

I read an article where he asked before he began if that was allowed. He did it so that he would not have to remember to have the beginning words be the same and not what is, or who is etc.
It is odd- - but his strategy is working so good for him.

Susan1

I read an article where he asked before he began if that was allowed. He did it so that he would not have to remember to have the beginning words be the same and not what is, or who is etc.
It is odd- - but his strategy is working so good for him.
Everybody else has been able to do that for decades now. He can't remember "a" or "the"? As smart as he is and as much as he knows, "What's Statue of Liberty?" sounds stupid compared to "What is the Statue of Liberty?" All of the hosts have seemed to hesitate after he answers, like they aren't hearing the right thing without words like "the" that come so naturally to everybody else on the planet. It's very distracting. I don't know how that could be a strategy. He hits the buzzer fast and knows most of the answers. I practically cheer when someone else buzzes in and says "What is the ....." He doesn't have the personality of James or Buzzy or Ken.

Sorry, I'm not arguing with you, just venting (over a game show?). I DVR it every day and watch it later. I didn't even watch the last three I had from last season because he is so irritating. I And I like Mike Richards as host. It's too bad he was a douche (can I say that here?).

Cachoo

I think the show should continue guest hosts as long as it takes to find the right fit. Why hurry? Alex was so wonderful and maybe time is needed to get everyone used to the idea of a new permanent host.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Everybody else has been able to do that for decades now. He can't remember "a" or "the"? As smart as he is and as much as he knows, "What's Statue of Liberty?" sounds stupid compared to "What is the Statue of Liberty?"
I suspect he has issues. I hesitate to diagnosis people just from watching him on TV but he reminds me of a lot of guys I work with who are either slightly neurotypical or have poor social skills (and sometimes both).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Mayim's views on attachment parenting, kids' vaccinations, and all the other things that were mentioned in the linked article have been known for some time. It's not like they suddenly were revealed after she was chosen to host. And while personally I don't agree with most of them, at least she owns them and has apologized and tried to explain her perspectives. Unlike Mike Richards, whose reaction to his racist and sexist remarks being revealed was to try to remove them from the Internet.

screech

The LeVar fanatics are going crazy again on Twitter, insisting that he's perfect for the show, and stating that if he's not named host they'll never watch again and that not picking him is clearly a sign of racism. It comes across as they're people who already do not regularly watch and just want to get their way. They also do not seem too fond of people who point out that LeVar did not do a great job as host, and keep insisting that he was treated unfairly.
While I agree that his hosting of Reading Rainbow in theory makes him a fantastic fit, nostalgia and a fondness for a person does not mean they're best for the job.

I'm really surprised that Jeopardy didn't choose Buzzy as a guest host at some point in the next couple of months. Online, people have been raving about his hosting after the re-airing of his stint, and he's emerged as a frontrunner among jeopardy fans. People are also saying that Aaron Rodgers is apparently retiring from football after this year, and that there's speculation Jeopardy is just using guest hosts until his NFL season is over so that he can be named host when it's done.

screech

LeVar has revealed that since he didn't get the job, he no longer wants to be considered for the host. He's interested in hosting other game shows, though.

Some quotes:

You know, we did a Kickstarter several years ago," Burton explained. "I discovered then that the generation of adults now, who grew up on Reading Rainbow, they were down with whatever it is I wanted to do, and the same was true with this Jeopardy! thing. I made it public that I wanted it for myself, that it made sense to me, and they were all about it. It made as much sense to them as it did to me. And, so, they wanted it for me as much as I wanted it

The crazy thing is that when you set your sights on something, you know, they say be careful of what you wish for, because what I found out is that it wasn't the thing that I wanted after all," revealed Burton. "What I wanted was to compete. I mean, I wanted the job, right, but then, when I didn't get it, it was, like, well, okay, what's next? And, so, the opportunities that have come my way as a result of not getting that gig, I couldn't have dreamt it up. If you had given me a pen and paper and said, well, so what do you want this to really look like? If it doesn't include Jeopardy! I wouldn't have been this generous to myself.

Susan1

I forgot that I noticed one day this week that "what's" Matt wrote "Who is......." (I forget who it was) in Final Jeopardy!

screech

I forgot that I noticed one day this week that "what's" Matt wrote "Who is......." (I forget who it was) in Final Jeopardy!
I noticed that too. I'm wondering if its because in Final Jeopardy they actually have time to think. I wonder if he's been using the right one of the 5W's for his past Finals as well (I don't care enough to check, though).

screech

More hosting info - Mayim Bialik wants to be the regular host, despite how busy she is.

So it’s safe to say you want the Jeopardy! job permanently going forward, yes?

I think it's very clear. There's no other job I would rather have. I love my sitcom work, I do. I love all the other things I do. I love the podcast. But I absolutely have never had a better job.

There is some controversy around some of her past comments (the anti-vax comments are addressed in the article, but not the Harvey Weinstein victim blaming), but I do think she does a decent job as host.

Susan1

More hosting info - Mayim Bialik wants to be the regular host, despite how busy she is.

There is some controversy around some of her past comments (the anti-vax comments are addressed in the article, but not the Harvey Weinstein victim blaming), but I do think she does a decent job as host.
Find somebody in t.v., Hollywood or the sports world who has never said anything objectionable about anybody or anything?

Last edited:

screech

Tom Hanks.

(And that's just for starters.)
A few years ago, didn't Andy Samberg and Sandra Oh joke that they were hosting the Golden Globes because they were the only people left in Hollywood that hadn't done anything offensive?

Also, if someone does or says something offensive, but acknowledges and legitimately works to improve themselves, that's something different than those who just say 'I'm sorry if anyone felt offended by what I did, but that's not who I am anymore."

Winnipeg

Have been watching Bialik and despite my past comments, she is doing okay IMHO. Don't mind her at all and prefer her to Richards. Still, would have preferred Cooper or Rodgers

Susan1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information