Really, part deux

Gerry

Hi Everybody... sorry I've been away from the board.

Thanks so much for the cards, flowers, and thoughts... Lee is once again coming along, although she is awfully tired and slow to improve. Sleep right now must be a good thing for her, because she is certainly doing her part to catch up. Today is Day 778. Wow.

Her nurses and care staff are wonderful, and do a great job of helping her through every day... they chat with her, rub her feet, and really do wonderful work... I just am amazed at how hard they all work to help my wife get back to her old self.

Overall, Lee's health is continuing to improve; she is still very weak, but the improvements from that point have been slow all through this process. One of her caregivers told us that you need to BE well, to GET well... and that the better you get, the faster you get better. I probably didn't understand that the first time, but I've seen it myself a few times, and I get it now... the goal here is patience and small gains, to get ready for larger gains later.

Patience sucks. I gots none of that stuff..But every day is another day, and that's something, anyway.

I'm away working again now, and the next few months will be ugly, with me on the road and her in her room... I hope she can get back to the point where she phones me every night (and 5 times a day when I'm working!), just to talk.

Anyway, better go. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes. Lee has nice friends, and I'm glad to know you.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Many thanks for the update, @Gerry

As many have said along the way during this long journey, sleep can be healing. The body knows what it needs and if sleep is needed and Lee is getting it, that's good.

Here's to your work time away going as quickly as possible and to the slow and steady positive progress continuing (y)

Spun Silver

Ah Gerry. So much waiting and hoping. It must be very good for your mental health to be spending time outside hospital rooms even if the separation is difficult. Thank heavens for Lee's wonderful medical team(s).

May Lee keep gaining the strength to "GET better." May your homecomings during the "ugly" months of travel be rewarded with Lee's beautiful improvements. May you both "bud again" this year, and soon!

"How fresh, oh Lord, how sweet and clean
Are thy returns! even as the flowers in spring;
To which, besides their own demean,
The late-past frosts tributes of pleasure bring.
Grief melts away
Like snow in May,
As if there were no such cold thing.

Who would have thought my shriveled heart
Could have recovered greenness? It was gone
Quite underground; as flowers depart
To see their mother-root, when they have blown,
Where they together
All the hard weather,
Dead to the world, keep house unknown...

And now in age I bud again,
After so many deaths I live and write;
I once more smell the dew and rain,
And relish versing. Oh, my only light,
It cannot be
That I am he
On whom thy tempests fell all night."

--George Herbert (from "The Flower")

Last edited:

skatesindreams

Thank you for the update, Gerry!
I'm grateful for the positive news; and hope that steady progress continues.

Her supportive caregivers are very special, indeed.

barbarafan

Hi Everybody... sorry I've been away from the board.

Thanks so much for the cards, flowers, and thoughts... Lee is once again coming along, although she is awfully tired and slow to improve. Sleep right now must be a good thing for her, because she is certainly doing her part to catch up. Today is Day 778. Wow.

Her nurses and care staff are wonderful, and do a great job of helping her through every day... they chat with her, rub her feet, and really do wonderful work... I just am amazed at how hard they all work to help my wife get back to her old self.

Overall, Lee's health is continuing to improve; she is still very weak, but the improvements from that point have been slow all through this process. One of her caregivers told us that you need to BE well, to GET well... and that the better you get, the faster you get better. I probably didn't understand that the first time, but I've seen it myself a few times, and I get it now... the goal here is patience and small gains, to get ready for larger gains later.

Patience sucks. I gots none of that stuff..But every day is another day, and that's something, anyway.

I'm away working again now, and the next few months will be ugly, with me on the road and her in her room... I hope she can get back to the point where she phones me every night (and 5 times a day when I'm working!), just to talk.

Anyway, better go. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes. Lee has nice friends, and I'm glad to know you.

Thanks for the update Gerry. So glad you know she is getting the best of care and kindness in your absence.Sleep is the best medicine and with that thought and seeing as you are on the road get some good rest yourself. You never know how tired you are until stop. So travel,sleep,work,sleep and you will feel like the more you sleep the more tired you are. That is because you have been too busy to allow it to hit you. You do need to schedule a day here and there where all you do is eat and sleep. You need it and you so deserve it. Lee needs you in top form.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Lots of competitive skating happening this weekend - some of it actually on NBC TV & accessible in Canada! [The Gala from Canadians is on TSN several times but not everyone gets that :( ]

Thinking of @Really & hoping that your slow progress is continuing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information