Radiation Therapy

nlloyd

Therapy started today. So far okay although I can probably feel where the treatment was.

Must say the radiation staff and nurse that I met today were fabulous. They are great they way they deal with the patients.

Glad to know you're done with the first session - there must have been some anxiety attached to that. Take good care of yourself going forward and let us know how things are going.

Alixana

Definitely NOT a sonogram
My main radiation tech was 6'4" and gorgeous. Sooooo ... in addition to being positive and supportive with many great ideas on how to manage side effects, the fact that he was so nice to look at didn't hurt either! ;) Seriously, having had experience as a patient and caregiver, yes, there are some very special people working in oncology.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
My main radiation tech was 6'4" and gorgeous. Sooooo ... in addition to being positive and supportive with many great ideas on how to manage side effects, the fact that he was so nice to look at didn't hurt either! ;) Seriously, having had experience as a patient and caregiver, yes, there are some very special people working in oncology.
Hahaha - you lucky thing :)

That sounds like one of the doctors I saw while they were determining what treatment I should have ;). He was from the UK so he also had a nice accent.

Aussie Willy

Thought I should do an update.

Two weeks into treatment so far. Has worked out well with work in that I can just drive there straight after. So not losing any time.

Not suffering any fatigue as such. Just the normal being a light sleeper don't sleep that well anyway. However because of where the treatment is it is playing havoc with my ovaries (feels like I should be getting my period but nothing has happened) and I have suffered constipation which was not very nice. But the nurses and doctors were really good and helpful about it. Also starting to get red skin and a little bit of irritation. Doesn't help where the treatment is which probably makes it a bit more uncomfortable than what it might be in other areas of the body.

Funny thing was last night a person fundraising for the actual hospital (Peter McCallum Cancer Centre) I am attending doorknocked at my door. I thought she was an electricity retailer (who do lots of doorknocking and I always tell them to go away). So I told her I was going there at the moment for treatment. She was quite young and enthusiastic and I think excited to meet someone having treatment there. But I think she also thought I might be dying so was very concerned. Don't think she quite understood there are different types and levels of cancer. So I gave her an education. Of course I signed up to donate. Because my treatment has not cost me one cent. And it has been excellent.

How are others going here? Hope our other patients are okay. :)

Spun Silver

@Aussie Willy, I'm glad you're doing fairly OK and getting good support from your medical team. I like the story about your "doorknocker." It's true that the word "cancer" petrifies people. Good for you for educating her, and making a donation.

My hubby is doing well so far too. He is driving himself to his treatments, and the only side effect so far (over a month in) is painful constipation. He spoke to the doctor about it without talking to me first (I didn't know he had the problem) and got a prescription. By chance, I offered to pick it up for him. Because it is January, our high-deductible plan is at its worst and the pharmacy told me the prescription cost $500! Thank God it was I who went to get it and not hubby, because he is not a critical thinker when it comes to medical matters. I said, No thanks! and went home and told him to take laxatives and drink more liquids, including prune juice. So far so good. I can't believe the doctor prescribed a $500 medication for constipation! Does he get a cut??

Aussie Willy

Glad your hubby is okay Spun Silver. Seriously $500 for a constipation medication? Mine cost $10 for 8 sachets.

If you want some Australian stuff just pay me and I will send it to you. And I don't need it at the moment. Has gone to the other extreme.

Spun Silver

Glad your hubby is okay Spun Silver. Seriously $500 for a constipation medication? Mine cost $10 for 8 sachets.

If you want some Australian stuff just pay me and I will send it to you. And I don't need it at the moment. Has gone to the other extreme.
Thanks so much, @Aussie Willy, but we have plenty of stuff here too. You have enough to do anyway! You should be giving yourself as many treats as possible! My hubby also went to the other extreme today. I really wonder what he would have done if he had gone to get that prescription himself. Which would have triumphed, his cheapness or his respect for doctors? I have no idea! I'm just glad he didn't go!

Aussie Willy

Oh I had my chocolate brownie last night.

At the pub last night, one of the regulars there is also undergoing radiation for skin cancer on her nose. She has had the same number of treatments as I have had but it is on a small area of her face. Poor thing is going to end up looking like Rudolph and I think is already suffering a bit from it.

Aussie Willy

How are our radiators going (I just came up with a new nickname)?

This week was horrible. The skin is now getting very irritated and broken down. But the worst thing was I had practically no sleep. Maybe about 7 hours over 4 nights. It is because of where I am having my radiation focussed it is incredibly uncomfortable - itching and irritation with a slight bit of pain. I ended up trying to do work from home which is not really practical because at the moment I can't access the systems there (will get that organised this week when my manager is back). Also saw the nurses and they tried different things. The nurse asked if I was taking pain killers which it hadn't even occurred to me to do that.

So took antihistamines and Ibuprofen with codeine yesterday. Best thing I did. I was able to go to work in the afternoon without discomfort and I think I slept for about 12 hours last night. I slept on the lounge room floor on the couch cushions because the thought of sleeping in my bed was too much after not being able to sleep. Hoping things will be back to normal after tonight. Seeing the doctors as part of normal processes on Monday.

The other thing I have found is that I have had to change my routines so it makes getting up and getting ready for bed much longer and more complicated than normal. And I think you have to become very innovative with the things you do to sort the little problems out and just take time with doing things. Don't need to rush. Unfortunately unable to even go for much of a walk (again because of where the area treated is). Just have to suck that one up.

3 more weeks to go. Blah.

nlloyd

How are our radiators going (I just came up with a new nickname)?

This week was horrible. The skin is now getting very irritated and broken down. But the worst thing was I had practically no sleep. Maybe about 7 hours over 4 nights. It is because of where I am having my radiation focussed it is incredibly uncomfortable - itching and irritation with a slight bit of pain. I ended up trying to do work from home which is not really practical because at the moment I can't access the systems there (will get that organised this week when my manager is back). Also saw the nurses and they tried different things. The nurse asked if I was taking pain killers which it hadn't even occurred to me to do that.

So took antihistamines and Ibuprofen with codeine yesterday. Best thing I did. I was able to go to work in the afternoon without discomfort and I think I slept for about 12 hours last night. I slept on the lounge room floor on the couch cushions because the thought of sleeping in my bed was too much after not being able to sleep. Hoping things will be back to normal after tonight. Seeing the doctors as part of normal processes on Monday.

The other thing I have found is that I have had to change my routines so it makes getting up and getting ready for bed much longer and more complicated than normal. And I think you have to become very innovative with the things you do to sort the little problems out and just take time with doing things. Don't need to rush. Unfortunately unable to even go for much of a walk (again because of where the area treated is). Just have to suck that one up.

3 more weeks to go. Blah.

Glad you were given painkillers and finally got some sleep, AW. Sleep is so important when dealing with challenging situations - and, ironically, it is also often the time when it is most difficult to come by. It also sounds like you are developing some good workarounds in dealing with your treatment. I like the fact that you are cutting yourself some slack. It's great you're continuing with your normal schedule as much as you can, but no-one can blame you for deviating from it if it means alleviating stress or practicing better self-care.

Sparks

please allow yourself the power to rest when it's over. Trust.
Not to be negative, but just telling the truth. It gets a bit worse before it get's better.

Spun Silver

Sorry to hear things have gotten painful, Aussie Willy. Codeine is a great invention for times like these! I hope you can distract yourself with skating, movies, music, friends or whatever makes you happy.

Japanfan

Your positive attitude is to be applauded, Aussie Willie. I'm glad you got some painkillers, and can get some sleep and some relief.

Hang in there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information