Quintuple with harness

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Wow! Does he turn 13 in time to compete on the JGP circuit - is it by July??

Sylvia

TBD
Wow! Does he turn 13 in time to compete on the JGP circuit
His birth year is 2007 (no month listed that I could find) so he might be ISU Junior age-eligible by the 2020-21 season at the earliest if born before July 1st.

ETA link to TASS article in English: Russia’s 12-year-old figure skater executes quintuple, posts video as proof
:TT1: is quoted at the end:
However, world’s legendary figure skating coach Tatiana Tarasova was not so optimistic about Belyavsky’s jump saying in an interview with TASS that only amateurs would consider a quintuple executed with the use of harness as the first ever in the world.
"An assistant with a fishing pole is near Maxim, supporting him, and this is how we teach jumps to prevent children from falling," Tarasova said. "Using the Mishin’s vestibular simulator [a type of harness], one can execute 10, 12 and even 100 rotations, while in a circus they are simply flying using harness systems."
"Only amateurs may view this jump on a fishing pole as the world’s first ever execution of the quintuple. Perhaps, the coach simply wanted to attract attention to what children are capable of," Tarasova added.

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
:respec: But :yikes: at the loud thud when he lands. The force must be astounding on those young bones. :eek:

Tinami Amori

Alexei Mishin chimes in. He worked with this young boy recently (Maxim Belyavskii)
https://nevasport.ru/66830-mishin-otsenil-pryzhok-belyavskogo/
summary:
Maxim Belyavskii came to train with Mishin recently, for a short period of time.
Mishin recommended that the boy transfers to Davydov/CSKA club, because Mishin is in St. Petersburg, and the boy's family is from Moscow and it would be hard to move just for skating. Mishin thinks that Maxim is a very gifted/talented boy. Mishin would be happy if Davydov is able to bring the level of figure skating to a higher level, because a jump with 5 rotations is a very difficult. At the same time Mishin said that "on a longe one can do 10 rotations" but is not rejecting a possibility of the boy's success.

chantilly

I can’t believe how effortless it looks, harness or not. But he’s very young and physically I think when skaters bodied change it affects the jumps.

Anyway I guess I’m just concerned we are going to lose the quality of skating and men’s mature skating to a bunch of bean pole jumping beans.

Who knows. We do have Chen and Hanyu and Uno.

But I still think skating now is lacking a little bit of pure glide. And I can’t see it changing.

Japanfan

Wow - I doubted that 5 revolutions was even possible.

What's next, 6? There has got to be a limit.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
TAT just scoffed at this, saying that you can do a 100 rotations with a harness and only an amateur would consider this a big deal.

With enormous respect, it really did seem as if he didn’t depend on the harness to stay in the air

caseyedwards

TAT just scoffed at this, saying that you can do a 100 rotations with a harness and only an amateur would consider this a big deal.

With enormous respect, it really did seem as if he didn’t depend on the harness to stay in the air
All she knows now is destruction of talent! She’s the worst

IceAlisa

Mishin and Yags have joined the scoffing. Specifically, Yags said they'd all done this since forever or "a billion years ago."

Rina RUS

Mishin and Yags have joined the scoffing.

"Joined the scoffing"? Not in this case, I'd say.

Yagudin said it yesterday. I think he didn't mock Maxim, because Maxim didn't write anything like: "this is sensation!". Journalists and fans turned Maxim's post into sensation. As for the boy, Yagudin just said: "it is early to judge".

He said:
"This info isn't something to shout about. What should I comment, if a skater does a jump with a harness? A boy's weight is 40 kilograms, one can lift him - and he'll be rotating. As for jumps with a harness, we jumped quint axels billion years ago. As for a quint in competitions, I think it will be jumped 15 years later or so. It is early to judge about a skater's abilities, when he is still a child. When he starts participating in international competitions, I'll say what he can do."
https://tass.ru/sport/6377274

By the way, Belyavsky was saying it was Yagudin who had taught him to keep his head up (when Maxim participated in the "Ice Age. Kids") - though I'm not sure Yagudin undestood he was asked about Maxim yesterday.

Rina RUS

There is a good comment by Mathman on GoldenSkate:

"For a quad, you need to rotate four times in eight or nine tenths of a second. If the assist gives you even one-fifth of a second in extra air time, theres your quint."

IceAlisa

"Joined the scoffing"? Not in this case, I'd say.

Yagudin said it yesterday. I think he didn't mock Maxim, because Maxim didn't write anything like: "this is sensation!". Journalists and fans turned Maxim's post into sensation. As for the boy, Yagudin just said: "it is early to judge".

He said:
"This info isn't something to shout about. What should I comment, if a skater does a jump with a harness? A boy's weight is 40 kilograms, one can lift him - and he'll be rotating. As for jumps with a harness, we jumped quint axels billion years ago. As for a quint in competitions, I think it will be jumped 15 years later or so. It is early to judge about a skater's abilities, when he is still a child. When he starts participating in international competitions, I'll say what he can do."
https://tass.ru/sport/6377274
I would say that's scoffing, nothing to see here move along, we've done it all before kind of thing but whatevs

Rina RUS

You don’t see it as dismissive?

:) Well, if you mean, that Yagudin is dismissive of himself, when he says, that he was a skater "billion years ago", but now... "I am like the old man Lenin and Mausoleum is home for me" (Lenin's corpse lies in Mausoleum) - I can agree with you.

He is often rude. Yet as for this "billion years ago" - I think this is just the way he talks about himself. He is used to belittle himself.

(He says if he practises, he can become a boy gathering toys after Hanyu. He says he can sh*t his pants before skating... It's better not to take every word too seriously.) :)

IceAlisa

Meanwhile Kovtun has joined the fray. Said there’s nothing unusual, he didn’t really execute a quint, and that you can spin all day hanging from the harness

IceAlisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information