Pogo out for season

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
I don't imagine Russia would let her go.

You would think the insane depth in Russian ladies would mean they would be willing to release her, but after all the struggles Liubov went through to be released you have a point, as Russia has plenty of depth in pairs skating as well and it still took forever for her to get released.

paskatefan

I feel for Pogo. She can't catch a break, it seems. Best wishes to her for a complete recovery, and may she come back stronger next season!

hanca

Values her privacy
You would think the insane depth in Russian ladies would mean they would be willing to release her, but after all the struggles Liubov went through to be released you have a point, as Russia has plenty of depth in pairs skating as well and it still took forever for her to get released.
I think it was personal in Liubov’s case. They were unhappy with her and that’s why they decided to make her life as hard as possible. Russia released many skaters in the last few years, and some of them much higher or comparable level than Liubov was. For example, Thachenko, Khaliavin, Yanovskaya... on the other hand, none of them is as good as Pogorilaya, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were a bit reluctant to release Pogorilaya.

Ka3sha

It’s also important to consider the fact that all Russian athletes ( on the main and the reserve teams) have pretty good funding from Russian FS Federation and Sports Minitsry. Maybe Anna or any other Russian lady just don’t want or don’t have opportunity to lose that funding and train on their own.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Do we have any reason to believe that Pogorilaya would even want to skate for Ukraine, given the chance? She might prefer to skate for some other country, such as Azerbaijan.

The fact that her parents were born in Kharkiv doesn't necessarily mean much, especially since that is an area with a large ethnic Russian population.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I think it was personal in Liubov’s case. They were unhappy with her and that’s why they decided to make her life as hard as possible. Russia released many skaters in the last few years, and some of them much higher or comparable level than Liubov was. For example, Thachenko, Khaliavin, Yanovskaya... on the other hand, none of them is as good as Pogorilaya, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were a bit reluctant to release Pogorilaya.

All of those were released after Sochi. That's a big difference. Liubov was also released immediately after Sochi.

Anna is on a different level. She's a potential Olympic medal contender. I feel like she should stick it out. She's good enough to make the Russian team if healthy. Every season new girls are aging up but older girls are also burning out. I find they a skater's level often drops when they switch countries and don't have much competition. She'd get to Worlds but probably would not be as medal contender.

binbinwinwin

I remember years ago in an interview she said she wouldn't skate for another country. She also said recently her parents don't come with her to competitions because they can't afford it, I doubt she could skate for another country and still be able to pay for all her skating needs. I think the chances of her skating for another country are very slim.

Anna was my favourite Russian lady, I loved her fire on ice, I am disappointed but I hope she has a speedy recovery and then stays healthy. Can't wait to see her skate again, competitively or not.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Russia has a surplus of talent. I think they will let her go.
I don't think that's the point. She's a world bronze medalist plus a whole bunch of other medals. They won't want to give her to anyone else. She'll at least have to wait 2 years.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't think that's the point. She's a world bronze medalist plus a whole bunch of other medals. They won't want to give her to anyone else. She'll at least have to wait 2 years.

I meant that after the required wait time she will be allowed to skate for another country. However, Russia letting her leave earlier is not out of the question, IMO, because of the deep talent pool they have. Of course I can't predict what they will do but I think her chances of skating for Ukraine may be quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information