Pogo out for season

Sylvia

TBD
:(

This is the likely Russian news article by Anatoly Samokhvalov on which NBC Olympics based their article; it originally was posted by @Ka3sha in the From Russia with Love thread earlier today:
Anna Pogorilaya withdraws from Nationals due to injury, her season is over
https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20171213/1130009181.html
Google translation of Anna's quotes:

"I'm slowly recovering, but I have not brought my back in order yet, I will not take part in the Russian championship, I just will not be able to prepare and my back will not allow me either," Pogorilaya said on the phone. "Now I do not even train on ice, only in The season is over for me. "

"I do not fall in the spirit," the sportswoman emphasized, "The trauma is not eternal, just need to support the back a little bit now, otherwise I will not get up at all."

When asked if Pogorilaya is going to continue her career, the skater answered: "While I'm just determined to restore my back, and then we'll see how it works out, but there are no cardinal questions about the future."

Last edited:

topaz

I figured this much but it's still sad. I know Anna pushed her way into my heart over the last few years. I hope she is able to come back strong. If not, maybe she can skate for another country :)

Last edited:

3T3T

Sad, but not unexpected news. Wishing her a full recovery and looking forward to seeing her back on the GP circuit next season.

On a separate note, does Tsareva have any other students?

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Now I'm really sad. I've always prayed that all the skaters stay in good health because to me, it takes away from the competition (the sport) if that person whom happens to be a competitive skater can't compete especially at the Olympics.

That's how much I love this sport, and I loved it for a very long time. That almost ended for me in 2011. But for some reason, I'm still here and alive. It's made me realize a lot of things, and I've always known that it's hard for some of the skaters to even afford the apparel, equipment, practice sessions and the coaches they need to continue with the sport of figure skating. This chance for Anna is so important in so many ways including her future and income that skaters like her desperately need.

I show no favoritism or jealousy when it comes to the figure skaters because I know all the work they've put into it starting at a very young age. I admire all the skaters because of that very reason. Whether they win a medal or not, they still get out there and try their best even with the injuries that occur along the way.

Many prayers for Anna for complete healing because it's not over yet. She still has a future and just like with the other skaters, I pray she continues and doesn't give up for the future. There still is next season and may she come back strong.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It will be Anna's decision of course, but I wonder if it may be time for her to start looking for opportunities in Ukraine and try for 2022 that way? After watching the JGPF you have to wonder how many of the current senior ladies will be competitive in the next quad? I see Med and Tsurkaya being able to compete, but no one else.

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
Not surprised, but still very sad. Anna grew so much from just "a jumper" to my favorite of the Russian ladies as an artist over the last two seasons.

It was going to be a tough road to make the top 3 for the Olympics anyway, but her health is 1000 times more important in the long run. I wish her the best in her recovery and for whatever step she takes next, on ice or off.

jenniferlyon

It's will be Anna's decision of course, but I wonder if it may be time for her to start looking for opportunities in Ukraine and try for 2022 that way? After watching the JGPF you have to wonder how many of the current senior ladies will be competitive in the next quad? I see Med and Tsurkaya being able to compete, but no one else.

I don't know the ins and outs of how one obtains Ukrainian citizenship, but according to Pogo's bio on Wikipedia her parents were both born in Kharkiv, Ukraine. So I'm guessing it wouldn't be that hard to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information