Peacock Will Stream All NBCUniversal Coverage Of Beijing Olympics, Including Live Events, Via Premium Tier

thvu

Usova's Apprentice

In a significant shift from the way it handled last summer’s Tokyo Olympics, NBCU will deliver live competition in 15 sports on Peacock, in addition to the opening and closing ceremonies. The Games are scheduled to run from February 2 to 20. Peacock’s premium tier is available at no additional charge for many customers of pay-TV and broadband services like Comcast Xfinity and Cox Contour. Others pay $5 a month for premium access, or $10 for an ad-free version.

BaileyCatts

I tried watch 2020 Olympics gymnastics stuff on Peacock and NBColympics.com and it was horrible trying to watch. Stream kept buffering, freezing, reloading, I had to just outright open another window and try to get the event up again ... all while the event was happening thus pretty much missing more than I saw. Did this happen to everyone or was it just me and my computer?

BaileyCatts

Also, I guess there is no hope of them running the whole of each event Live on broadcast TV like they did for Sochi and Peyongchang due to this? I know it was on NBCSN then but was hoping for same type coverage via USA. There's no way I'll be able to watch everything Live with work 'an all and thought at least if I could DVR the whole event I could stay offline all day and watch when I get home. Working sucks and I got no option to work from home. :cry: I mean its great its Live coverage 'n all but not a 4am in the morning when ya gotta work. :rofl:

I expect the Prime Time network coverage will be horrendous like it was for gymnastics 2020. The Americans plus Top 3 at best. :blah:

Last edited:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Peacock was completely worthless during the 2020 Olys. Their content was just stupid.

Broadcast and streaming coverage will spotlight U.S. Olympians like snowboarder Shaun White and Chloe Kim, skier Mikaela Shiffrin, figure skater Nathan Chen and speed skater Erin Jackson.
^ This makes me wonder if we will get more than just Men's and possibly Team in FS? They're not super forthcoming about which events will get streamed live - but hey, still better than last Olys.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Peacock was completely worthless during the 2020 Olys. Their content was just stupid.

^ This makes me wonder if we will get more than just Men's and possibly Team in FS? They're not super forthcoming about which events will get streamed live - but hey, still better than last Olys.
Yes, but with the elimination of NBCSN, I think that the intent is to move all of the NBCOlympics coverage to Peacock. If they do that, then we'll be okay. If not, NBC is going to have lots of angry fans, of many sports.

Dobre

Assuming that figure skating is one of the 15 sports, this would be so awesome. I'd been starting to worry because I don't think I could get NBCsports to work the last time I tried it at my house. It seems like I had to go to my parents' & their internet can't handle live streaming well--much less live streaming with a kazillion people watching. Plus, now is not a safe time for me to go to their house. Peacock has always worked well for me.

gatorinfl

I wonder if all the events will run without commentary. I know that many like Peacock’s presentation of figure skating without commentary, but I don’t like it and wish we had a good analyst like Canada’s Ted Barton.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I wonder if all the events will run without commentary. I know that many like Peacock’s presentation of figure skating without commentary, but I don’t like it and wish we had a good analyst like Canada’s Ted Barton.
We may get a “good analyst” if NBC takes advantage of new talent or piggybacks on international feeds. Sadly, they seem to have a lifetime contract with Tara and Johnny, so we may get them for both women and men and likely for pairs. I expect it will be Tanith for dance.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
Per an ad that I saw last night, NBC will be putting many of the "prime time" Winter OLY events on USA Network (which has assumed former NBC Sports Network programming). So, I guess Peacock and USA Network, along with "big" NBC are the places to watch.

I was a bit disappointed with Peacock last night, during Womens FS at Nashville, as I was getting sound issues. The sound coming on five seconds prior to the video. It eventually worked out, maybe it was my internet, as well use a cell based system at my house. But, I didn't have that issue with other streaming services, so I tend to think it was Peacock.

I did enjoy having both the "world feed" as well as what was being broadcast on NBC live, on Peacock. Otherwise, those of us in SoCal had to wait for the KNBC4/Los Angeles broadcast at 8:00 pm Pacific. And, the world feed showed the first warm-up of the women, which the network did not.

Last edited:

deegee

the coverage of the men's sp supposedly started 14 mins ago but my screen just says "coverage to begin shortly. stay tuned."

anyone else getting this msg?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
the coverage of the men's sp supposedly started 14 mins ago but my screen just says "coverage to begin shortly. stay tuned."

anyone else getting this msg?
It wasn’t scheduled to start until 3:30. Mine’s live now with warmup group 1.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Olympic Ice will be back! It will air daily on Peacock:

1. “Olympic Ice” (10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. ET) will be essential viewing for figure skating fans, featuring in-depth analysis of one of the Winter Games’ most popular events, including competition highlights, interviews with Team USA athletes, practice reports and scoring breakdowns
Peacock will also be showing practice sessions. I went to http://nbcolympics.com/schedule and personalized my schedule to only show figure skating, and it shows all the warmups, practice sessions and event times for my time zone. Great feature!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Yes, but with the elimination of NBCSN, I think that the intent is to move all of the NBCOlympics coverage to Peacock. If they do that, then we'll be okay. If not, NBC is going to have lots of angry fans, of many sports.
I had no choice but to go to NBC or USA the last two days of Nats, the buffering was terrible.

BaileyCatts

Well that sucks. Why can't they put it on USA also? I (tried to) watch Peacock during 2020 Olympics and it was horrible. Constant buffering, reloading, stream freezing, having to just open new windows and log in again ... all while the competition was taking place thus missing most of it. Plus this will probably be the final time I tape Olympics and I want it on my tapes! :cry: Plus I gotta work and can't stream at work cause my computer don't have speakers/sound at work so I won't even be able to watch it. Whine whine whine. :drama:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
GrubHub has a promotion to get 3 months of Peacock free. If you've ever used GrubHub, look for the email with your code.

love skating

Clueless American
I watched a lot of nbcolympics.com for the last Olympics (Tokyo) and had no issue with it. We'll see how Peacock does. From the press release @TanithandBenFan shared it looks like nbcolympics.com will have 2100+ hrs of live coverage vs 2800+ hrs on Peacock. If you don't have Peacock Premium, but have a cable/sat subscription you'll probably be able to watch most of the live stuff on nbcolympics.com

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Peacock always has free trials floating around besides the GrubHub one. If not, it's $5 a month still I'm pretty sure.

I have watched Peacock extensively past figure skating events (lots of good TV and movie content on there) and I've never had buffering or quality issues AFAIK. Not once.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

Peacock will also be showing practice sessions. I went to http://nbcolympics.com/schedule and personalized my schedule to only show figure skating, and it shows all the warmups, practice sessions and event times for my time zone. Great feature!
I went to personalize my coverage and found out I can subscribe to the NBC Olympics calendar so now all the FS events are in my calendar with alerts so I don't miss them!

FiveRinger

There's an "+ Add to calendar" link next to the "Personalize your schedule" button.

found it

I was looking at the olympic website. It's on the NBC website
Thank you for the heads up. I sent the schedule to my email and my phone. I have no idea what my schedule will be in February so I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss any alerts. Seeing as skating is virtually all month, I’m sure I’ll be trying to sneak and watch during work hours. There’s no sense in trying not to be spoiled. That never works, and I refuse to wait umpteen hours to watch what’s being aired live. We’ve gotten so spoiled…lol

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

I hope that they have not just news (the cut & dry stuff) but also oddball fun features, such as Mary Carillo riding around on the Zamboni or Moskvina Minute. It was the goofiness that made Torino 2006’s OÍ special. Not sure that the current health situation might allow it but we’ll take what we can.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I hope that they have not just news (the cut & dry stuff) but also oddball fun features, such as Mary Carillo riding around on the Zamboni or Moskvina Minute. It was the goofiness that made Torino 2006’s OÍ special. Not sure that the current health situation might allow it but we’ll take what we can.
I really enjoyed the 2018 version of OI with Charlie and Ben on the desk doing analysis. I hope they will be part of the team again.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Oh those were the days!
Do you remember Moskvina doing a plank on a newscasters desk?
I can't think of anyone who could put together the knowledge (Uncle Dick) the irreverence and and fun of those broadcasts. What they said and did was informative, compelling and fun. When did figure skating become so formulaic?

Sigh. A little fun might help put my favorite sport back in the limelight.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Oh those were the days!
Do you remember Moskvina doing a plank on a newscasters desk?
I ….

OMG, yes! That was in Vancouver 2010…I was about to give up on a rather dull Olympic Ice in 2010 when Moskvina livened things up with that plank. Best Guest Evah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information