Outdoor camping cooking tips or ideas? anyone?

Andrushka

Well looks like I will be cooking for a large group of cubscouts in the near future.Outdoors.On a fire.I do have some experience but I have to come up with ideas for a large group.Any ideas?

TheGirlCanSkate

We bring a camp drive if at a campsite. For group meals we do a lot of prep ahead of time, pre boil pasta, use jar sauce, use fully cooked meatballs. I also prepared garlic bread, wrapped it in foil and put it over the fire. The most you can do ahead of time the better. There should be an over the fire night kids roasting their own hot dogs smores, etc. For breakfast there are make your own boiled omelettes, kids get an cracked egg in a baggie and add toppings and mix it by squishing, drop it in a lot of boiling water. Seriously, prep as much as you can. Buy bagged salads with dressing. Anything you can do ahead will be cleaner than cooking outside dealing with ants, wasps, etc.

gk_891

If it were me, I'd make a huge pot of something that I could simmer over a medium-low heat thus making it less labour-intensive for me. I'm good at making curry but that probably wouldn't go over well with kids.

Since kids are often finicky eaters, maybe go with something safe like burgers and hot dogs?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I've done camping trips where I had to plan a group meal for 65 people. The easiest thing for a dinner for that group is to BBQ. For breakfast, eggs are easy as are pancakes and a pot of oatmeal. Another easy thing is Mac & Cheese.

Andrushka

If it were me, I'd make a huge pot of something that I could simmer over a medium-low heat thus making it less labour-intensive for me. I'm good at making curry but that probably wouldn't go over well with kids.

Since kids are often finicky eaters, maybe go with something safe like burgers and hot dogs?

I'm considering chili because if I do soup I run into "I don't like that kind of soup."

Andrushka

I've done camping trips where I had to plan a group meal for 65 people. The easiest thing for a dinner for that group is to BBQ. For breakfast, eggs are easy as are pancakes and a pot of oatmeal. Another easy thing is Mac & Cheese.
I was thinking scrambled eggs and biscuits.If I do pancakes,I'll be flipping pancakes for HOURS. LOL My boys like oats but not sure if the others do. BBQ wouldn't be ideal in this situation because I can't sit and tend it for as long as I would need to because I'll have to take kids to various activities.
I'm also considering corn on the cob because I can wrap that in foil and potatoes.

TheGirlCanSkate

That is why we went for spaghetti, we left some pasta plain. :) you could do baked potatoes, wrap in foil with a topping station. There is also taco in a bag, you can reuse tbe potato toppings. Pinterest had lots of suggestions too. They have good camp kitchen ideas too.

Andrushka

That is why we went for spaghetti, we left some pasta plain. :) you could do baked potatoes, wrap in foil with a topping station. There is also taco in a bag, you can reuse tbe potato toppings. Pinterest had lots of suggestions too. They have good camp kitchen ideas too.

Yeah I've been pinning a lot lol Pinterest is addicting.Our last cub scout camping trip was an absolute nightmare,torrential downpour, followed by severe thunderstorms and the grand finale the temperature dropping from 70 to 40 degrees. I am determined to be better prepared this time!

WildRose

I'd keep it simple, and let everyone get involved with making the meals.
For dinner I would go with hobo packets. Kids love making their own dinner over a campfire, it's all part of the experience. I still remember making them myself in Brownie Camp. In our family it wouldn't be a camping trip without them. Marshmallows on sticks for dessert.
For lunch 'build your own buns' with whole grain buns, cold cuts, cheese, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes etc. Put the food out on a picnic table and let everyone help themselves.
For breakfast, assorted cold cereals with milk & juice, an assortment of grab & go muffins and a big bowl of fruit.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
You can wrap all kinds of things in foil and let the fire do the cooking. Sausages, potatoes, damper, delicious! Just make sure the kids don't throw the food too far into the fire or you'll never get it out - and remember to keep count of what goes in so you don't accidentally leave some sausages in the coals until they themselves are little more than coals. Not that I ever did that... :shuffle:

Obvious culture clash question: what the heck is a hobo packet?

Karina1974

Yeah I've been pinning a lot lol Pinterest is addicting.Our last cub scout camping trip was an absolute nightmare,torrential downpour, followed by severe thunderstorms and the grand finale the temperature dropping from 70 to 40 degrees. I am determined to be better prepared this time!

You haven't done BSA camping until you've slept out in a lean-to in the middle of January in sub-zero temperatures.

Skittl1321

Why are you planning and cooking for them? If these kids are at least 6 years old this should be their responsibility! If they plan what is being eaten, they can't complain about what you picked. (And yes- I have done this with girl scouts. I've eaten some bad meals, but they've learned and gotten better. No one will starve in just a weekend, especially since we always have granola bars or chips. Doing it for them doesn't teach them.)

Let them flip pancakes for hours (scrambled eggs and oatmeal are great for mornings.) Hot dogs are easy for lunch. A pot of chicken and rice can be nice for dinner. Cobbler is super easy in a dutch oven.

If you have a grate to put over the fire, you can cook pretty much anything you would at home. And if you have a campstove, you can really make anything.

Food when camping only really gets tricky if you have to backpack.

Twilight1

Is it open fire or do you have electric outlets?

When we have no electricity we buy the wire fire pit covers (Home Depot/ Lowes have them).

You can make spider dogs for fun. (love dipping the 'legs' in mustard myself) And you can make the above suggestions with pots.

madm

When I was involved with my girls in the girl scouts, one of the best dinners we made together was turkey stew with biscuits and foil-wrapped corn on the cob (buttered with husks peeled back then recovered). For the stew, use ground turkey, diced potatoes, chopped carrots, chopped onion, tomato sauce, seasonings (Italian seasoning, oregano, herbs de provence, ground pepper, or anything else you like). Brown the meat and onions in a large cast iron pot, then add the rest and simmer for 30-60 minutes until the veggies are soft. You can easily cook biscuits and corn bread in cast iron but be careful not to burn the bread. Try everything out in your own kitchen first. There is a lot of advice about cooking with cast iron on the web. Spray everything with non-stick spray and cover the bottom exterior of pans with foil if you are cooking over an open flame, to make cleanup easier.

My husband is a master cook thanks to his extensive boy scout experiences growing up, eventually becoming an Eagle Scout. His troop made elaborate dinners like roast turkey and dutch oven pies! Now when we camp he loves to make foil dinners over a campfire (in heavy duty foil). The best part is that cleanup only involves throwing out the foil! Here are some ideas:
http://campingwithgus.com/easy-camping-meal-food-ideas/
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-grill-in-foil.html

One of the best gifts you can give boys in scouting is teaching them to cook. It's a lifelong skill they will use forever.

TheGirlCanSkate

Even if the boys cook, there is still meal planning. And for the first night, I cook because everyone is tired, excited, and busy. The rest of the meals are easy (kids pick what they want on foil, score a name on the foil and wrap and put it on the grates). Because a lot of kids never cook, each night a crew of 3-4 boys should be on kitchen duty for cooking/prepping and 3-4 on clean up. The next night it switches. It is just time consuming, so prepping ahead is just a good idea if they have really full days if they have laid back days, sure give them the jobs of chopping vegetables. It just depends on your troop.

But when I camp with friends we all take a night to host dinner and we do it up. :D Breakfasts are grab and go unless it is a lazy day. If it is we do eggs, pancakes, etc. We do leftovers or sandwiches for lunch.

TheGirlCanSkate

Being cold and wet can really ruin a trip. We were unprepared for it and the ranger told us we might want to leave. We ended up leaving but that night of getting soaking wet, muddy and freezing just made us pack up faster. After that trip, we have learned a lot and now rain is okay, not ideal but we are warm and dry.

madm

I am SO impressed with what boy scouts have to do now to earn the cooking merit badge for Eagle Scout. Even though you are dealing with cub scouts, you can definitely introduce them to some aspects of this merit badge, like how to cook in a dutch oven and in foil, first aid and safety, proper food handling, knife skills, meal planning, and nutrition. Cub scouts should do all the work except those things that are unsafe at their age.

http://www.scouting.org/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges/mb-COOK.aspx

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/20...the-new-requirements-for-cooking-merit-badge/

Andrushka

I am SO impressed with what boy scouts have to do now to earn the cooking merit badge for Eagle Scout. Even though you are dealing with cub scouts, you can definitely introduce them to some aspects of this merit badge, like how to cook in a dutch oven and in foil, first aid and safety, proper food handling, knife skills, meal planning, and nutrition. Cub scouts should do all the work except those things that are unsafe at their age.

http://www.scouting.org/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges/mb-COOK.aspx

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/20...the-new-requirements-for-cooking-merit-badge/

I teach my boys to cook but I'm not the one in charge of the pack. I plan on making as much of it as kid friendly as possible.Last time we went I took hotdogs and marshmallows.

Andrushka

Being cold and wet can really ruin a trip. We were unprepared for it and the ranger told us we might want to leave. We ended up leaving but that night of getting soaking wet, muddy and freezing just made us pack up faster. After that trip, we have learned a lot and now rain is okay, not ideal but we are warm and dry.

I don't think it would've quite as bad if my ex husband hadn't of gotten the boys soaking wet while I was gone to get something.He had them tramping around in a complete torrential downpour,handed them off to me and then went and snored in his tent. I will most definitely be better prepared this time around. We couldn't leave because there were a whole set of activities the next day that they needed for one of his badges.

Andrushka

Even if the boys cook, there is still meal planning. And for the first night, I cook because everyone is tired, excited, and busy. The rest of the meals are easy (kids pick what they want on foil, score a name on the foil and wrap and put it on the grates). Because a lot of kids never cook, each night a crew of 3-4 boys should be on kitchen duty for cooking/prepping and 3-4 on clean up. The next night it switches. It is just time consuming, so prepping ahead is just a good idea if they have really full days if they have laid back days, sure give them the jobs of chopping vegetables. It just depends on your troop.

But when I camp with friends we all take a night to host dinner and we do it up. :D Breakfasts are grab and go unless it is a lazy day. If it is we do eggs, pancakes, etc. We do leftovers or sandwiches for lunch.

Here at home I bake or cook as much ahead of time as I can and I always have snacks available.I have boys,they can clean out the pantry in less than a week.So I know how boys eat. I'll probably make some muffins or biscuits ahead of the trip.

One of the dads said he knows how to cook if he has the stuff,facts are,I'm one of the only women going who cooks on a daily basis.Even if I didn't want to,I have to go.My eldest boy has high functioning autism,so I go wherever he goes at this age. It'll be a lot of grown men and little boys ranging from 1st grade to 4th grade to cook for lol..it'll be interesting.

Last edited:

Andrushka

When I was involved with my girls in the girl scouts, one of the best dinners we made together was turkey stew with biscuits and foil-wrapped corn on the cob (buttered with husks peeled back then recovered). For the stew, use ground turkey, diced potatoes, chopped carrots, chopped onion, tomato sauce, seasonings (Italian seasoning, oregano, herbs de provence, ground pepper, or anything else you like). Brown the meat and onions in a large cast iron pot, then add the rest and simmer for 30-60 minutes until the veggies are soft. You can easily cook biscuits and corn bread in cast iron but be careful not to burn the bread. Try everything out in your own kitchen first. There is a lot of advice about cooking with cast iron on the web. Spray everything with non-stick spray and cover the bottom exterior of pans with foil if you are cooking over an open flame, to make cleanup easier.

My husband is a master cook thanks to his extensive boy scout experiences growing up, eventually becoming an Eagle Scout. His troop made elaborate dinners like roast turkey and dutch oven pies! Now when we camp he loves to make foil dinners over a campfire (in heavy duty foil). The best part is that cleanup only involves throwing out the foil! Here are some ideas:
http://campingwithgus.com/easy-camping-meal-food-ideas/
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-grill-in-foil.html

One of the best gifts you can give boys in scouting is teaching them to cook. It's a lifelong skill they will use forever.

Yeah I found a recipe for dutch oven dump cake...looks good.

I've cooked corn bread in a cast iron skillet many many times.

Andrushka

Is it open fire or do you have electric outlets?

When we have no electricity we buy the wire fire pit covers (Home Depot/ Lowes have them).

You can make spider dogs for fun. (love dipping the 'legs' in mustard myself) And you can make the above suggestions with pots.

Open fire,I wish there was electricity.lol There is a cell signal though...I tracked the storms on the radar on my phone last time.

Andrushka

Why are you planning and cooking for them? If these kids are at least 6 years old this should be their responsibility! If they plan what is being eaten, they can't complain about what you picked. (And yes- I have done this with girl scouts. I've eaten some bad meals, but they've learned and gotten better. No one will starve in just a weekend, especially since we always have granola bars or chips. Doing it for them doesn't teach them.)

Let them flip pancakes for hours (scrambled eggs and oatmeal are great for mornings.) Hot dogs are easy for lunch. A pot of chicken and rice can be nice for dinner. Cobbler is super easy in a dutch oven.

If you have a grate to put over the fire, you can cook pretty much anything you would at home. And if you have a campstove, you can really make anything.

Food when camping only really gets tricky if you have to backpack.

We are/ I am cooking for them because they are small kids,not older kids and that is what the plan is according the pack leaders.

Andrushka

You haven't done BSA camping until you've slept out in a lean-to in the middle of January in sub-zero temperatures.

And I sincerely hope i never have to LOL I am sure I could manage because I am a cold weather type person but not with over a dozen little boys.

Skittl1321

We are/ I am cooking for them because they are small kids,not older kids and that is what the plan is according the pack leaders.
Guess I'm mean. I do outdoor training for the local Girl Scout council and teach what I was taught: if they are old enough to camp, they are old enough to cook. So even first graders make their own food. Leaders supervise, and may need to help with knives, but not always.

Scout camping is very different from family camping. I've seen the same 6 year olds who fixed me pancakes and hamburgers not be allowed to help on a family trip. Even at a young age they can do a lot if you let them. But you have to let them. And to make mistakes. I went with a group of 4th graders where we are PB&J for five meals because they decided in planning it was easier. Then they decided it was boring and not fun. We had a better menu the next time.

Hopefully your pack leaders don't make the kids wait too long to learn for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information