Opera Suggestions, II

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Amina Edris was fantastic this afternoon in "Antony and Cleopatra." Gerald Finley was amazing: what a wonderful actor he is, too, with that great death scene.

I really liked this opera. I'm glad it's on demand to digital ticketholders for 48 hours starting 10am tomorrow (Monday) PDT.

eusebius

Amina Edris was fantastic this afternoon in "Antony and Cleopatra." Gerald Finley was amazing: what a wonderful actor he is, too, with that great death scene.

I really liked this opera. I'm glad it's on demand to digital ticketholders for 48 hours starting 10am tomorrow (Monday) PDT.
Gotta watch this!! I hope I get home early enough tomorrow evening ...

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
but I have recently discovered Amina Edris, who will be singing Cleopatra. (She is married to Pene Pati.) I think she is a star in the making.
Edris recently won a Dora Mavor Moore Award in the Opera Division:

• Outstanding Performance by an Individual: Amina Edris, La Traviata, Canadian Opera Company Co-
    production with Houston Grand Opera and Lyric Opera of Chicago;
https://www.ludwig-van.com/toronto/2022/09/20/scoop-tapestry-opera-leads-dora-winners-2022-six-trophies/

skateboy

Hey opera friends!

Just wanted to tell all my friends in the NYC area that I will be in town and hosting my Vocal Artists Management Services (VAMS) singers in our annual FREE Artist Showcase concert at the Opera America National Opera Center on Thursday, October 20, 2022, 7:30 p.m., and I would love to see you there.

We have 16 singers performing, in various genres (Early Music, solo arias, and duets). The program will feature scenes from Suor Angelica, La Traviata, Tosca, and more. They really are fantastic and I hope you can make it.

Please message me for more information.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I had this on in the background and couldn't watch or listen to all of it live -- I needed to cook this afternoon -- but San Francisco Opera is streaming Orpheus ed Eurydice on demand starting tomorrow, Monday Nov 21 at 10am Pacific Standard Time for 48 hours for their standard streaming charge, $27.50 (no fees).

The set is sparse; the costumes are really colorful.

The Orpheus is countertenor Jakob Jozef Orlinski. Cheekbones that would cut ice. Looks great in the costume. Excellent actor. Eurydice is Meigui Zhang, who had to lie dead for 10 minutes and awoke with this contraction that takes mucho core strength. Amor is Nicole Heaston who had a wonderful entrance and costume.

emason

I also loved the subtitles; the translation in several places was slightly different from what I’ve experienced elsewhere and that made me really pay attention and follow the storyline more closely.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
A friend sent me a heads up that the Met Opera website was hacked; this message is up at their URL:

The Met has experienced a cyberattack that has temporarily impacted our network systems, which include our website, box office, and call center. All performances will take place as scheduled; however, at this time we are unable to process new ticket orders or facilitate exchanges and refunds. Once normal operations have resumed, we will honor all refunds and exchanges that we have been unable to process during this period.​
We are working as quickly as possible to get this difficult situation resolved. Updates will be posted on metopera.org as they become available.​
For further assistance, please email [email protected], and we will respond to you once our systems have been restored.​
Thank you for your patience and understanding.​

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Did anyone go to see the Live in HD The Hours? I'm curious what people thought.

I went but I left at intermission not because of the opera but because the sound in the theater was so loud that I found it painful.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I listened on the radio, since the Saturday Broadcasts kicked off with The Hours.

A friend found this article on Wikimedia Commons: it's a preview of an upcoming opera performance from May, 1905, in which the a lecture-demo of Wagner's Parsifal would feature "a new and perfected series of continuous projectoscopes--called "Acting Pictures," because they show the entire drama, with all its actions and accessories in lifesize, and identical in every detail, just as though the observer were seeing the production itself in New York."

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Seattle_Mail_and_Herald%2C_v._8%2C_no._28%2C_May_27%2C_1905_-_DPLA_-_413f8ad900abe3a15c6129bb3055b676_%28page_10%29.jpg

If you click on the photo, you can see the whole article, after scrolling down a little.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Soprano Helena Dix tweeted this:

Spent 2 hours on the phone to Virgin Atlantic.The lovely rep told me that she was a pro trained classical singer.I told her my flight booking was to sing at The Met. She replied: "Oh, right. I only work at the top venues, but I wish you all the luck for your little trip."

and from later in the replies:

Well she then went on to tell me she works for WNO and I, of course, was delighted to tell her I knew heaps of people there. Needless to say I was put on hold rather swiftly....

This is such scrumptious schadenfreude :lol:

alexikeguchi

I saw the final performance of Dialogues des Carmelites at the Met yesterday afternoon. It is the same production that has been recorded with Isabel Leonard as Blanche and Erin Morley as Constance, and I feel like they were a tough act to follow. However, I loved Ailyn Perez and thought the sweetness and delicacy of her soprano were perfect for the role. Sabine Devieilhe, whom I haven't seen in previous productions, was excellent as Constance. I love Jamie Barton's personality in the videos she made during the pandemic hiatus, but this is the second time that I thought her stage presence is not quite on the same level. I felt the same way about Christine Goerke as Mme Lidoine, though both sang impeccably. I wish I had been able to see Karita Mattila as Mme de Croissy; Alice Coote's singing was fine, but she didn't have nearly as much dramatic flare in her death scene. No matter who is in the cast, though, the final Salve Regina is one of the most intensely moving scenes in any opera, and this production with minimalist sets and focus on the personal struggles gets an A+ from me.

emason

Major thumbs up to The English Concert and their presentation of Hansel’s oratorio Solomon at Carnegie Hall yesterday. Miah Persson as Solomon’s Queen in the first section and as the true mother of a disputed child in the second section was the highlight for me; Persson brought me to tears as the mother. There I was in Carnegie Hall with tears streaming down my face! Orchestra, chorus, soloists - everyone was terrific; it was a great afternoon. The English Concert is coming back in December with a staging of Rodelinda; as soon as single tickets go on sale later this year I’m going to snatch one up.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I saw Blue at the Washington National Opera last night. I think it was a little uneven but I think it was good. Some lovely music, and very moving. Very hard story. The cast was really good and brought the characters to life. I liked the production too, it was simple and let the music and story stand for themselves.

Next season WNO is doing a world premiere from the same composer, Jeanine Tesori. That one sounds :eek: and I'm not sure about going but it will star Emily D'Angelo who I'm very impressed with on recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information