Opera Suggestions, II

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The Partenope, presented by Les Arts Florissants, was fantastic! The singers were from Le Jardin des Voix Academy for young baroque singers, co-directed by William Christie and Paul Agnew, and they are doing a :kickass: selecting and training these singers.

There were two wonderful young counter tenors: Alberto Miguelez Ruoco sang Armindo -- his voice is :swoon: -- and Hugh Cutting sang Arsace, who has a wider range of emotions in his music. The tenor was also fantastic: Jacob Lawrence sang the baddie, Emilio with such fabulous technique. What a way to end the Enescu Festival. (Technically, the penultimate performance.)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I got to go for my first live opera performance since March 2020 yesterday! I saw the Washington Concert Opera with Rossini's Maometto. Some wonderful singing. My favorite of the night was Elizabeth DaShong whose singing was just gorgeous and as the below review says, "nearly stole the show." And there was also Leah Crocetto, tenor Bruce Sledge, and Bass-baritone Ashraf Sewailam, who was very impressive.

They limited the ticket sales somewhat so I had empty seats around me which was nice and everyone was masked and had to present proof of vaccination. This was my third concert since the *********, I went last weekend to Baltimore to hear the Baltimore Symphony, including Renee Fleming singing a contemporary piece about Georgia O'Keeffe with projections of her paintings. I really enjoyed that. And I went to the National Symphony Thursday and heard Britten's Violin Concerto and Shostokovich's 10th Symphony.

I will wait awhile before I venture out again.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The Grammy nominations were announced today. Here are the opera recording nominations:

Best Opera Recording

• "Bartók: Bluebeard's Castle" — Susanna Mälkki, conductor; Mika Kares & Szilvia Vörös; Robert Suff, producer (Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra)
  • "Glass: Akhnaten" — Karen Kamensek, conductor; J'Nai Bridges, Anthony Roth Costanzo, Zachary James & Dísella Lárusdóttir; David Frost, producer (The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra; The Metropolitan Opera Chorus)
  • "Janáček: Cunning Little Vixen" — Simon Rattle, conductor; Sophia Burgos, Lucy Crowe, Gerald Finley, Peter Hoare, Anna Lapkovskaja, Paulina Malefane, Jan Martinik & Hanno Müller-Brachmann; Andrew Cornall, producer (London Symphony Orchestra; London Symphony Chorus & LSO Discovery Voices)
  • "Little: Soldier Songs" — Corrado Rovaris, conductor; Johnathan McCullough; James Darrah & John Toia, producers (The Opera Philadelphia Orchestra)
  • "Poulenc: Dialogues Des Carmélites" — Yannick Nézet-Séguin, conductor; Karen Cargill, Isabel Leonard, Karita Mattila, Erin Morley & Adrianne Pieczonka; David Frost, producer (The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra; The Metropolitan Opera Chorus)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Poor Isabel Leonard: Karita Matilla stole Act I, and Erin Morley stole Act III.

And all of the pieces relatively modern to contemporary: not a Tosca among them.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Did anyone list to tonight's Tosca that was the weekly free stream on the website and part of Sirius Met Opera Radio? The soprano was Elena Stikhina, who I thought sounded wonderful. She's listed on the Met website as having sung Suor Angelica in 2018, covering for Opolais, and, according to the Met Opera database, getting two stage performances. (She also sang Tosca last weekend.) Calleja sang Cavaradossi, and Gagnidze reprised Scarpia. I liked that his interpretation in Act II was very conversational, not just a loud bully.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
You'll find the "Live" window and the list of performances for the rest of the season right below at this link:
https://www.metopera.org/season/radio/free-live-audio-streams/

There's one/week, and that's in addition to the Saturday broadcasts. (They started with opening night, so they start before the Saturday broadcasts .)

The hosts come on the air a little bit before the performances; until then there's a loop that tells you to come back some other time. Debra Lew Harder and William Berger usually co-host, although he was busy for one of them, and she did it herself. There's almost always an interview (sometimes two) at each normal intermission. Tonight it was Calleja -- they said he was turning 44 on January 22 and would be a guest on the Opera Quiz -- and Rigoletto and Le Nozze conductor Daniele Rustioni. He said that Toscanini was taken from the orchestra where he was a cellist to conduct an opera at the last minute, and he paced the music by speaking the words. Rustioni said he does something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information