NYC Ballet Fans, part 2

Yehudi

AITA
I finally got my NYC residents card and one of the benefits is attending an NYCB rehearsal. Has anyone gone? How does that work?

Yehudi

AITA
Yulia Stepanova (or Yangurazova as she goes by in her personal life). is the new Bolshoi principal (jumping several ranks). Not a big fan but her following is insane.

cris

Yulia Stepanova (or Yangurazova as she goes by in her personal life). is the new Bolshoi principal (jumping several ranks). Not a big fan but her following is insane.

Well, I'm a big fan of hers and I am very, very glad for Yulia. Saw her in London in "Swan Lake". Sublime.

Yehudi

AITA
I went to see Osipova and Polunin's Contemporary Evening at City Center. The opening Arthur Pita number was about a self-destructive couple and supposedly inspired by Amy Winehouse. Polunin spent a lot of time lying around while Osipova spent a lot of time standing around, although there were some hot moments, particularly the blues piece at the beginning.

The second piece I didn't particularly care for while the third piece showed what people came for. The effortless leaps from Polunin, the speed of Osipova. There was one point where Osipova did some blindingly fast chaine turns to which the crowd broke out in applause.

Overall, didn't particularly care for the choreo but when Polunin and Osipova actually danced, it was a treat.

emason

Thanks for the report. I've managed to miss everything of interest dance-wise in NY in the last few weeks.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The Marcelo Gomes doc will premiere in February in NYC at Lincoln Center!

I just got the following email via Kickstarter:

Dear Backers,

You waited patiently, or perhaps gave up hope, but we are finally going to premiere the film on Opening Night of the 45th Dance on Camera Festival in NYC on Friday, February 3 at 8:30pm at Lincoln Center! Marcelo will be in attendance for the Q&A.

The next two months are going to be the biggest challenge of all as we call in favors, beg and plead for help with color correction, sound mixing, titling and all the other technical aspects of finishing a film that are so expensive. Wish us luck or get in touch if you want to help!

Tickets to the general public will go on sale on January 19 and we'll share a link when it's available. We will be in contact with backers at the $500 level and above about your tickets.

Check out the press release that just came out today:

http://www.filmlinc.org/daily/lineup-45th-dance-on-camera-festival-announced/

Thanks again for your unwavering support!

All the best,

David & James​

Misty Copeland has launched a dancewear line:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/entert...d-Launches-Dancewear-Line-EGAL-404907105.html

"Ballerina Misty Copeland, who is known for breaking body stereotypes in the dance world, has launched her line of dancewear apparel.
The prima ballerina has often spoken publicly about her career-long struggle to find dancewear designed for women who have busts, hips and thighs. It from that void that Copeland says ÉGAL Dance was born.

ÉGAL Dance features designs inspired by Copeland's personal style and a desire to provide dancewear that is "truly supportive, appealing and flattering to a variety of body types.""

And a mini rant (literally just discovered this section of FSUniverse today, and had many thoughts)...

I know that Copeland's promotion is still controversial for certain balletomanes, but her port de bras is lovely, she is poised, charismatic, and really shines in contemporary/new work (Firebird, anyone?). There are previous generations of dancers who didn't have sparkling classical technique, but were promoted because of their dramatic gifts, charisma, etc. (Even though I think that some of the people who rip Copeland's technique, character, and even fans (!) apart are projecting their own discomfort with her discussion of race in ballet). I also don't begrudge dancers from making more money in a world that doesn't pay them enough, and I know she has talked about this line for a while.

I was also not particularly bothered by her SL fouette situation, either. I believe there was a performance of SL when Julie Kent only did 16, and Sara Mearns - probably the most revered US O/O at the moment - does not always do all 32, either. Mearns has also said that she prefers to emphasize O/O's tragic arc. And speaking of Mearns - though some complain that classical ballet has become "too inclusive" of non traditional body types, I am glad that US schools are not Vaganova-strict about discarding dancers with the wrong body type. I'm glad that dancers like Mearns, Copeland, and PNB's Carrie Imler exist. (Also, there's nothing wrong with calling a dancer by their first name - doesn't mean someone is an uneducated fan! Ever heard of Misha, Rudi, or Natasha?).

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Yeah I will agree that I'm glad USA's schools are for diversity and not plagued by something like Paris Ballet is.

Yehudi

AITA
The Kultura show "Kto Tam" did a profile on Ksenia Zhiganshina, focusing on her debut as Gamzatti and her decision to go to the Bolshoi instead of the Mariinsky. She shows off her skating skills at the end ;)

https://youtu.be/8bAJ5UzIhLE

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Oh, I remember watching her Vaganova graduation performance and having great hopes, but, ugh: the way she forces herself in the Italian and regular fouettes makes me want to :gallopin1.

It isn't freaking YAGP...

(But what made her decide?)

Rob

Beach Bum
Which cast of the Little Humpbacked Horse should I see? I have Thursday tickets, but should I change? I have seen Shklyarov in other works or that would be the obvious choice. I saw Kolegova in Raymonda last year.

Tue., Jan. 31 at 7:30 p.m.
Ivan the Fool: Vladimir Shklyarov
The Tsar-Maiden: Anastasia Matvienko
The Little Humpbacked Horse: Yaroslav Baibordin
Gentleman of the Bedchamber: Yuri Smekalov
The Tsar: Dmitry Pykhachov
The Young Mare: Zlata Yalinich
Horses: Alexander Romanchikov, Alexander Beloborodov

Wed., Feb. 1 at 7:30 p.m.
Ivan the Fool: Ernest Latypov
The Tsar-Maiden: Renata Shakirova
The Little Humpbacked Horse: Grigory Popov
Gentleman of the Bedchamber: Konstantin Zverev
The Tsar: Vasily Shcherbakov
The Young Mare: Viktoria Brilyova
Horses: Andrei Solovyov, Yevgeny Deryabin

Thu., Feb. 2 at 7:30 p.m.
Ivan the Fool: Maxim Zyuzin
The Tsar-Maiden: Anastasia Kolegova
The Little Humpbacked Horse: Vladislav Shumakov
Gentleman of the Bedchamber: Yuri Smekalov
The Tsar: Dmitry Pykhachov
The Young Mare: Zlata Yalinich
Horses: Alexander Romanchikov, Alexander Beloborodov

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I saw it in 2011 when it came to the Met Opera House, and Shkylarov's Ivan the Fool was delightful! He was only supposed to dance one of the two performances I saw, but I was thrilled to see him a second time.

(The women from that run aren't dancing in these performances.)

agalisgv

Thanks @Marge_Simpson ! I've been to the Met on HD series and really enjoyed it, but wasn't sure how it translated to ballet.

Since the Bolshoi don't perform in Oklahoma for some strange reason :shuffle:, this kinda brings the ballet to me :)

agalisgv

Saw Bolshoi's Sleeping Beauty with Olga Smirnova and Semyon Chudin. I hadn't see them before--what a treat! They were both remarkable, especially Smirnova.

Really nice performance--I'll have to try some more.

Yehudi

AITA
Maria Alexandrova wrote her on her Instagram that she is leaving the Bolshoi. Nothing on her plans, although she was recently in a theatre production of Caligula so she may be transitioning to acting and freelancing.

Alexandrova holds a special place in my heart as, during my ESL stint in Moscow, she was one of the ballerinas I saw frequently and subsequent times I've seen her on tour, she has always been fabulous.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
*** Ballet Dancer Jumps Onto Subway Tracks, Rescues Man, Becomes NYC Hero :
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-becomes-nyc-hero_us_59358415e4b0cfcda91650bf
The latest transportation savior is more likely to be seen in tights and dance slippers, leaping across a stage at New York City’s prestigious Lincoln Center, than performing a random feat of heroism in his city’s subway system.

Nonetheless, American Ballet Theater dancer Gray Davis did just that: Over the weekend, he came to the rescue of a 58-year-old man who’d fallen onto the tracks at the 72nd Street Broadway-Seventh Avenue station.

Sylvia

TBD

dinakt

I'd love to hear reports about "Onegin" with Vishneva. I really wanted to fly to NYC for that, but did not manage.
In other ballet news, Lopatkina announced her retirement; Russian media says, due to injuries.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I'd love to hear reports about "Onegin" with Vishneva. I really wanted to fly to NYC for that, but did not manage.
In other ballet news, Lopatkina announced her retirement; Russian media says, due to injuries.
We are heading to NYC this weekend and will be attending the ballet "Onegin" at the Met on Sat night, I'll try and remember to kept you know how it is.

emason

I saw the Vishneva-Gomes Monday night performance. I thought they killed it in Act III - so much drama and passion. If you are going Friday night, be sure to bring hankies; it will be emotional for sure. Am seeing Ferri-Bolle tomorrow night; it will be interesting to compare the two performances.

So far I have made it to 4 Giselles, 2 Corsaires, 3 Swan Lakes and now the Onegins. Next week I have 1 Whipped Cream and I think I will be balleted out after that.

Re: the Giselles - I saw Lane-Simkin, Murphy-Hallberg, Abrera-Gomes, and Lane-Cornejo. There were issues at all the performances: Lanes's fast revolving Act II turns (chugs?) travelled to her Jersey City home and back at both performances, Abrera had a hops on pointe problem, Murphy had to simplify choreography due to injury recovery and Hallberg and Cornejo both seemed to be holding back a bit due to their injury concerns. Lane-Simkin got a ton of buzz for their performance, but oddly enough it was my least favorite of the four. For unalloyed personal enjoyment, Abrera-Gomes was my absolute favorite, especially as it was Gomes' 20th anniversary celebration with the company.

@4rkidz - be sure to report on Saturday's performance. Onegin is one of my favorite ballets and it doesn't come around that often.

cris

I saw the Vishneva-Gomes Monday night performance. I thought they killed it in Act III - so much drama and passion. If you are going Friday night, be sure to bring hankies; it will be emotional for sure. Am seeing Ferri-Bolle tomorrow night; it will be interesting to compare the two performances.

Thank you for the report.
So how was the Ferri-Bolle performance?
Out of curiosity, who are your favourite Giselles?

emason

@cris,

For what it's worth here is my report, which differs from the overall audience reaction:

Vishneva danced circles around Ferri; Ferri just does not have the technique any longer. Ferri sold her Tatiana on the basis of her dramatic skills - which did not work for me, although they did for the rest of the audience. I was underwhelmed, but, then again, I was underwhelmed by the Ferri-Cornejo Romeo and Juliet that was done exactly a year ago. As a pairing I vote firmly for Vishneva-Gomes over Ferri-Bolle.

As a portrayal of Onegin, however, Bolle wins in a landslide. I could watch his Onegin on an endless loop and never get tired of it. Simkin's Lensky was also perfection and that made last night's performance be about the journey of Onegin, of which Onegin-Lensky had equal weight with Onegin-Tatiana.

Back to the Giselles: Abrera is my current favorite, Murphy I could probably grow to love if she weren't injured, and Lane, while I get what others see in her, leaves me cold for some reason. I'm not on the Lane Train yet. I didn't particularly care for her Olga last night either. I haven't seen the other current Giselles at ABT, so can't comment on them. Several years ago I did see Alina Cojocaru do Giselle at ABT and I thought she was seriously great.

For ABT Giselles of the past, Gelsey Kirkland and Natalia Makarova are the standouts for me. There was, however, a long period of 15-20 years where I gave up going to the ballet. Who knows who I might have missed during my hiatus.

cris

Thank you, @emason, for the detailed answer. I was somehow expecting it. Ferri has always been extremely charismatic, but her age shows. I wish I could see Bolle as Onegin. You are so lucky to have seen Kirkland and Makarova live.
I am glad you liked Alina Cojocaru, she is my favourite Giselle. I also have the privilege to have seen her twice as Tatiana and I thought she was divine.

Yehudi

AITA
I went to the Monday night performance. I was in one of the side seats and forgot to wear my glasses but didn't matter. Vishneva was Tatiana and Gomes was Onegin

Btw @emason did you see TAT? ;).

emason

Alas, I didn't see TAT. I didn't know she was in the house or I would lingered around trying to spot her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information