"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Here is a very informative long interview in Japanese. Good luck with google translator. :D (Hopefully I'll post a brief summary when I have time.)
http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/2016_2017/nagasu.html
Thank you for the link, @rosewood! :)

Does this translation seem pretty accurate? http://suzumoriyuiko.tumblr.com/post/157990873813/translation-mirai-nagasu-a-season-of-self

ETA:

#dogwhisperer Mirai! https://www.instagram.com/p/BRJ56k7BVdB/
(The two biggest dogs belong to the Knierims and the other 3 are Mirai's.)

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I love dogs.... But what in the world is she doing with three.? They are expensive and need lots of attention and exercise. But maybe she lives in a place with a huge yard.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I love dogs.... But what in the world is she doing with three.? They are expensive and need lots of attention and exercise. But maybe she lives in a place with a huge yard.
From her social media is looks like she lives with a group of skaters so I'm not sure if all of them are specifically hers except for Lincoln but three dogs is a lot. Lol.

leigh466

Well, she's got the bf to take care of the dgos when she is traveling I guess. I just love the K&C pic of Mirai and Tom when the scores come up (!), as well as the one post-skate where she is grinning from ear to ear and "shooting" with her finger.

I really am shocked that people hate TWTIA as a piece of music. Meryl Streep is one of the greatest actors of all time, not the greatest vocalist, but still that is my favorite rendition. Maybe if Mirai does indeed keep the program for next year she can knock our socks off with raw emotion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P9odR9_FQ4

VGThuy

I actually love that song but I seriously hate that version and the way that singer sings it. So self-indulgent. I also think Mirai's program and her presentation hasn't convinced me it's a good fit for her. She can still turn me around though. I'm not hard to please.

giselle23

Well, she's got the bf to take care of the dgos when she is traveling I guess. I just love the K&C pic of Mirai and Tom when the scores come up (!), as well as the one post-skate where she is grinning from ear to ear and "shooting" with her finger.

I really am shocked that people hate TWTIA as a piece of music. Meryl Streep is one of the greatest actors of all time, not the greatest vocalist, but still that is my favorite rendition. Maybe if Mirai does indeed keep the program for next year she can knock our socks off with raw emotion!

I love TWTIA. In fact, half the time I can't get that song out of my head. I am excited to think that Mirai might keep these programs for next year. I think she should. The Meryl rendition is great, but I don't think she needs to
use a different version. Great interview--thanks to whoever translated it.

Spun Silver

WOW. I wasnt going to listen because I didnt think Meryl Streep could sing, but wow. Somebody please get that to Mirai. Not to use, because Streep's rhythm is too irregular and close to speech, but to show her the possibilities.

I dont hate the song at all, I just dont think it does Mirai any favors.

VGThuy

Mamma Mia! is one of my favorite guilty pleasures and I watch it when I need a real pick me up. I also have fond memories of watching it with my family when my siblings were young.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
TWTIA was the first song I ever loved. I was a little tyke and probably learned how real record players worked trying to play this 45.

What's funny to me is that the version Mirai skates to is how I remember hearing this song. When I went back and listened to the original, it sounded so much less tragic then I remember. It sounds very 'tinny' and over produced.

So I'm probably the only person in the world who prefers or at least likes Mirai's version equal to the original.

I think we can all agree that it was best Mirai took out the "tell me, does she kiss" stanza, lol.

Bellanca

In the new IN article I posted in the other thread she does confirm she is considering keeping both programs for next year and that the 3axel wil be included.

She will also do the 3 axel at the Denver Invitational this month.
Ugh! NO! But, listen, if it makes Mirai happy, then go :kickass:!!!!

ETA: The Winner Takes it All is actually a very consistently panned and ridiculed song, but Mirai is from a younger generation that may not necessarily know this, and that is alright, but some of the more, shall we say, seasoned judges are definitely cringing.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

Oh goddess no! I can't bare the thought of Mirai keeping that program for the Olympic season! I'm so happy she got the jumps around but there is NOTHING else to recommend that program! She has zero emotion out there and the lyrics of the song are depressing rather than uplifting. Sorry but it's not an Olympic worthy program imo! That rendition of the ABBA classic rakes across my nerves! I wish that Mirai had at least used the original artists. And I love love love Meryl Streep, but no on can do their songs like ABBA can! Imo Mirai needs a program with powerful, upbeat music with NO lyrics, not this soppy stuff. And I sincerely hope she doesn't choose David Wilson again, or that Tom doesn't talk her out of doing a strong number rather than something soft and slow.

Last edited:

bardtoob

I thought about it after watching Mirai's 2017 National SP immediately followed by her 2017 4CC LP, and I concluded they could be Olympic Champion worthy, particularly if she won ... But she really needs that fire in her eyes that she had at the end of the 4CC LP.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I thought about it after watching Mirai's 2017 National SP immediately followed by her 2017 4CC LP, and I concluded they could be Olympic Champion worthy, particularly if she won ... But she really needs that fire in her eyes that she had at the end of the 4CC LP.
:cheer2::cheer::cheer2: I hope you are right

leigh466

WOW. I wasn't going to listen because I didn't think Meryl Streep could sing, but wow. Somebody please get that to Mirai. Not to use, because Streep's rhythm is too irregular and close to speech, but to show her the possibilities.

Yes, not to use, but to demonstrate the raw emotion (power) the song could/should convey. I agree that the rhythm is too irregular.

Vagabond

Meryl Streep is one of the greatest actors of all time, not the greatest vocalist, but still that is my favorite rendition....

WOW. I wasnt going to listen because I didnt think Meryl Streep could sing

When Streep sings in a movie, she sings in character. When she's out of character, she sounds quite different from that clip.

To get more of an idea of what she sounds like when she's singing, but not in character, try this: In the Garden (A Love Song): Duet with Garrison Keillor.

:fan:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Here is Mirai doing her FS at the Four Continents practice session. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJRC3f4DRx4 She is almost there, in my opinion. The music doesn't require smiles. It's really kind of perfect for Mirai's seriousness. She has the moves--she just needs to sell it a bit more.

Mirai seems to have a good outside edge on that lutz. If she's doing that jump in the SP in the coming Olympic year, I hope she keeps that strong outside edge to avoid getting dinged!

Spun Silver

When Streep sings in a movie, she sings in character. When she's out of character, she sounds quite different from that clip.

To get more of an idea of what she sounds like when she's singing, but not in character, try this: In the Garden (A Love Song): Duet with Garrison Keillor.

:fan:
That one doesnt do as much for me as TWTIA because there are so many great renditions and I dont think Streep particularly gets gospel. But what with these and her Florence Foster Jenkins movie she has me completely bewildered about her singing!

giselle23

That one doesnt do as much for me as TWTIA because there are so many great renditions and I dont think Streep particularly gets gospel. But what with these and her Florence Foster Jenkins movie she has me completely bewildered about her singing!

I think Meryl Streep trained at one time as an opera singer.

Vagabond

nguyhm

Mirai posted on her instagram that she included a 3Axel in her long program at the Denver Invitational and although it had a double carrots << she was happy she added it. I think she won the competition but that's all I know. I wish I could see a video of this program. So proud of her :cheer2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information