No mask when "high intensity" skating?

concorde

Many rinks have protocols that state masks are not required during "high intensity" skating. What qualifies?
  • jumps, All? Douples and up? Triples only?
  • running a program?
  • for pairs/dance, lifts?
  • anything else?

Does a skater with asthma automatically fall into this category the entire time on the ice?

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I think that depends on how "high intensity" is being defined (cardio in general? a specific HR? something else entirely?) and the skater's physiology. Some folks can do the above without pushing their limits, others might be pushing max HRs merely stroking around the ice.

I feel like this language is intentionally vague to give off the impression that masks are being enforced and at the same time, providing loopholes for exceptions.

antmanb

Funnily enough when I used to wear a heart rate monitor to skate I found that spins used to push my heart rate up more than jumps (and i'm talking barely hit basic spin positions nothing extreme) compared to jumps (just singles). I guess they last for longer too. A lot of jumping one after the other could push my heart rate up but spins did it more consistently. Also badly landed and saved jumps pushed my heart rate up more than well executed jumps.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
The rinks where I am don't require skaters to wear a mask when they're on the ice. This is NY/NJ. Do they require masks when skating where you are?

Clarice

No rink where I have skated has required skaters to wear masks on the ice. I do, though, especially when partnering. This is Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin.

concorde

Someone recently posted a picture of Amber Glenn doing a 3A. She was not wearing a mask but many of the other skaters sharing the ice were. I believe Amber skates out of Texas. Plano possibly.

I recently saw a video of Ilia M. doing a 4? With a mask on. He skates out of Reston Virginia. Not sure where the video was taken but my guess is Reston.

PSC&HS wants all in masks unless it's high intensity.

Debbie S

In my area, rinks are required for coaches but not for skaters. Some are wearing them, though.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think "high intensity" is individual. I mean today I tried to do a side plank after not working out for months and, um, let's say my heart rate was pretty high and leave it at that. :D

vu2019

Masks are required at all times for coaches, but not skaters, while on the ice at my rink. Skaters have to wear them at all times while off the ice. I haven't seen any skaters (myself included) wearing them consistently on the ice, however, since the last time I skated we received a reminder and clarification from the rink that masks must be worn whenever within 6 feet of someone else, which should only occur during pairing or teaching.

syzygy

I'm sure the definition is vague intentionally. I plan on wearing mine unless running a program. Maybe if it starts slipping while jumping I'll take it off for that, but I don't think it will.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Not a scientific sample, but most of the videos of top US men that popped in my feeds show them wearing face coverings,

concorde

Philadelphia skating club & humane society requires skaters to wear a mask when on the ice except doing high intensity activity which seem to mean only when you are doing programs. Then as soon as you finish the program, the mask is to go back on. The skate around the rink immediately after finishing a program needs a mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information