Nguyen & Kolesnik have ended their partnership

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don't have any inside info about any of this, but the way some people are talking... are we en route to another AP McDonough once said person turns 18?

VGThuy

What are people who seem to know things NOT saying in this thread about Avonley's parents? I'm confused as to what they are accused of doing.

Skater999

The more I think about it, the more I realize what a bloody shame this split is. They need to get over whatever their issues are at the moment, and skate for Ukraine if citizenship is a problem. So there, we have a solution.
I don’t think citizenship is the issue. Tbh I think they had a falling out in their relationship. Maybe he cheated on her who knows? But it wasn’t right for Avonley to make it seem that Vadym wasn’t committed.

Perky Shae Lynn

I don’t think citizenship is the issue. Tbh I think they had a falling out in their relationship. Maybe he cheated on her who knows? But it wasn’t right for Avonley to make it seem that Vadym wasn’t committed.
OMG stop!!! Too much too much.

Lara111

I thought their relationship was a trouble waiting to happen. It is difficult at this age.

Perky Shae Lynn

I thought their relationship was a trouble waiting to happen. It is difficult at this age.
Such a pressure cooker. Her parents financed his skating AND paid for his living expenses until recently. Living under the same roof. Cultural differences in parenting styles. Puppy love. Training together. Winning. Growing expectation. I agree, it was a disaster waiting to happen. But all this aside, I wouldn't be totally shocked if they re-evaluated things in a couple of months. Avonley will be 18 soon. Things may change.

Skater999

My big question is, will a team or teams break up just so one of them can skate either with Avonley or Vadym?

Skater999

You don't think they may get back together?
If they were to get back together, I guess I wouldn’t be completely suprized. Maybe Igor can do something? But them getting back together completely deepens on the reason why they broke up. It would be kinda awkward though to get back together after making an announcement like that. I’m sure right now they are focused on what options they have. I guess they would only think about getting back to together if they are both really desperate and willing to make up.

Marta24

This split is very sad. They really had something special. :(

Since Kolesnik wants to continue...How about Ekaterina Katashinskaia? Or would she be a little too young?

Skater999

This split is very sad. They really had something special. :(

Since Kolesnik wants to continue...How about Ekaterina Katashinskaia? Or would she be a little too young?
She’ll stay in Russia. Russians skate with Russian partners and Russian coaches. But I think she is too tall. Plus I don’t know if teams are willing to break up just so one of them can skate with Vadym or Avonley

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Wishing for Olympic gold in ice dance is kind of like wishing for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I hope most skating parents are smarter than that.

I think most are. I don't know anything about the families in this specific situation, but speaking generally, I could see some crazy skating parents looking at how long some of the top teams in the US and the world have been around. And then thinking that those teams are probably going to retire sooner than later, and there might be a chance for their kid(s) to move up in the not-too-distant future.

Perky Shae Lynn

Wishing for Olympic gold in ice dance is kind of like wishing for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I hope most skating parents are smarter than that.
Absolutely. Most skating parents, IMO, are just there to support the kids. But there are quiet a few that are ambitions beyond reason, and blind to their children's physical and emotional needs. How many times have we seen the story repeat itself?

starrynight

Wow, they lived and trained together? That’s a pressure cooker of mental pressure.

Well, particularly recently too when the rinks closed down, everyone was stuck at home looking at each other with no training to go to and there's no season in sight.

It's big deal that Avonley's parents took in her teenage skating partner to live with them. That would be like suddenly parenting a teenager when he's from a completely different culture and country.

I recall when Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue moved to Canton as teenagers on their own, they found skating families who billeted them separately. It's a pity that a similar arrangement outside of his skating partner's home couldn't be found for Vadym - but I guess that's really hard to arrange. In Duhamel and Radford's book, she spoke about billeting with families and how sometimes it was really lonely and hard - as she had to move on her own as a school kid to access training.

I think sometimes when a partnership is a big deal, the coaches will occasionally billet the out of town student - but don't imagine Igor would have much incentive to give a student his spare room. (Or if that's even allowed under Safe Sport etc any more).

I mean, going forward. Olympic Gold type of results.

I do think that teams save themselves heartache by not pursuing hopeless citizenship scenarios.

If Avonley's parents can pay the expenses of a partner, they do have options available.

Lara111

Well, particularly recently too when the rinks closed down, everyone was stuck at home looking at each other with no training to go to and there's no season in sight.

It's big deal that Avonley's parents took in her teenage skating partner to live with them. That would be like suddenly parenting a teenager when he's from a completely different culture and country.

I recall when Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue moved to Canton as teenagers on their own, they found skating families who billeted them separately. It's a pity that a similar arrangement outside of his skating partner's home couldn't be found for Vadym - but I guess that's really hard to arrange. In Duhamel and Radford's book, she spoke about billeting with families and how sometimes it was really lonely and hard - as she had to move on her own as a school kid to access training.

I think sometimes when a partnership is a big deal, the coaches will occasionally billet the out of town student - but don't imagine Igor would have much incentive to give a student his spare room. (Or if that's even allowed under Safe Sport etc any more).

I do think that teams save themselves heartache by not pursuing hopeless citizenship scenarios.

If Avonley's parents can pay the expenses of a partner, they do have options available.
I heard Vadim's parents paid for him but I am not sure this is true.

Tinami Amori

I heard Vadim's parents paid for him but I am not sure this is true.
It looks like Avonley's parents were covering skating lessons and skating related expenses but not his costumes or living expenses once he moved out of their house .

If anyone reads the recent interview with Kolesnik (see post #99, google-translates well) he talks about expenses for his apartment and costumes and other costs such as food, utilities, communications.

He makes his costumes in Ukraine, as such cost a lot less there. He had to rent an apartment with a room-mate to fit into the budget. He buys his own food. He goes back and force to Ukraine 2-3 times a year, and it is not likely Avonley's family would be paying for it, so this means Kolesnik's family has some extra funds to pay for this type of travel.

Recently he bought a used car, for 5K USD, but is waiting to get a driver's license and to buy insurance (which is too expensive for him just yet). Maybe he bought it with his prize money.....

If i was Avonley's parents and was paying for everything, i'd be pretty ticked off that he bought a car instead of offering to pay for some of the expenses... :D

Anyhoooo....... i recomend to read this interview, maybe the readers pick up on more fine details.

C

casken

Camerlengo created Avonley & Vadym's free dance. It's all subjective, of course, but I would not call it generic.
I know, but that's a Shpilband style dance. It has all the Shpilband-isms. Same with C&P's "flamenco" FD.

Camerlengo's is just cutting and pasting old Shpilband "choreography" and getting paid do a fraction of the actual original choreography he was doing for Krylova's teams (that they weren't getting PCS credit for anyway). Smart business man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information