News and updates à la Française, part trois

Tinami Amori

Is it my imagination that this news appears to be generating a lot of press in France as compared to the relative silence about Morgan Ciprès?
My observation is that when the news about Cipres came out several publications in France posted them and people had discussions. It lasted slightly less than a week.. The second set of news about "Cipres' apology" also appeared in the French publications, but there was not that much "news". Then the LL's coke story came up, and just as many publications are posting them last few days.

I think it's about the same amount of publications and responses. "new event" always takes over, if the "previous event" has no new developments. One thing i noticed, there were not that many joke-posts in the comment sections over Cipres case, but there more jokes in the LL's coke case (in the comment sections). to give a few examples, in L-Equipe (by memory):
  • wtf? coke is useless in skating! LSD can help with creativity..
  • she sure knows how to cross a "white line"..
  • she gave a true meaning for a skater being a "snow queen"..
  • she must have been partying with "insert name of any celebrity caught for coke"..
  • must have mistook chemical powder for a snow powder..
etc..

Tavi

My observation is that when the news about Cipres came out several publications in France posted them and people had discussions. It lasted slightly less than a week.. The second set of news about "Cipres' apology" also appeared in the French publications, but there was not that much "news". Then the LL's coke story came up, and just as many publications are posting them last few days.

I think it's about the same amount of publications and responses. "new event" always takes over, if the "previous event" has no new developments. One thing i noticed, there were not that many joke-posts in the comment sections over Cipres case, but there more jokes in the LL's coke case (in the comment sections). to give a few examples, in L-Equipe (by memory):
  • wtf? coke is useless in skating! LSD can help with creativity..
  • she sure knows how to cross a "white line"..
  • she gave a true meaning for a skater being a "snow queen"..
  • she must have been partying with "insert name of any celebrity caught for coke"..
  • must have mistook chemical powder for a snow powder..
etc..

Thanks for your thoughts. Because I don’t generally read the French press, I wasn’t sure how accurate my impression was.

ChiquitaBanana

The quote from her former coach is :scream::yikes:... “She should have been to the Olympics by now. Her parents did not really supervised her...” I mean, there is a time for everything and bashing your former student is maybe not the best time... :rolleyes

kirkbiggestfan

The quote from her former coach is :scream::yikes:... “She should have been to the Olympics by now. Her parents did not really supervised her...” I mean, there is a time for everything and bashing your former student is maybe not the best time... :rolleyes
She was better than Mae-Berenice Meite but did not peek at the right time. That’s life. Her former coach was like a second mother. She’s always been brutally honest. Aratunyan style.

Tinami Amori

Oh please, don't take segments from a phrase and make it sound worst than what it is to start trouble against "non-existent tough coach".....

1) "Her parents did not really supervised her...”
Même si elle n'était pas très encadrée par ses parents, Laurine était sérieuse et brillante au niveau des études (mention très bien au baccalauréat ST2S, sciences et technologies de la santé et du social).

The comment pretty much means this: "she did not to need to be pushed/supervised by her parents to be a good student in school in many difficult subjects", alt transl "in spite of not being pushed/supervised/guided by her parents, Laurine was serious and brilliant in (high) level courses/studies". She did not require pressure to work hard in school.

2) “She should have been to the Olympics by now"..
again.... not the right meaning in context. The coach praises her, saying she is good for a EC medal, to be in top 6 at Worlds and good enough for Olympics.

Sportivement, elle avait à l'époque le potentiel pour atteindre le podium aux Championnats d'Europe et une place dans le top 6 mondiale. Elle aurait aussi déjà dû participer aux JO.

"Sports-wise, she had the potential to medal at the Europeans, to be in top 6 at the Worlds, (and) should have been already in the Olympics (meaning - she was that good)."

Japanfan

Cocaine? legality and use? it is so subjective... There are so many legal substances/liquids that can be misused or over-used with lethal or very harmful outcomes. Few lines of coke, at 3-4 parties a year is (imo) not a big deal at all, makes no diff. in your life, or rather minimal difference, than lets say when someone legally buys 3 bottles of vodka and drinks it up in a day..

But just a few lines is all that is needed to create an addiction or dependency. Likewise, just a few alcoholic drinks can kickstart an alcohol addiction/dependency.

But coke is now illegal, and once you're caught, you get a penalty..that's how it is now... maybe it will change too, like with dope..

I think that all drugs should be legal and treated as a social problem when appropriate. SFAIK it has worked really well in Portugal.

ChiquitaBanana

Oh please, don't take segments from a phrase and make it sound worst than what it is to start trouble against "non-existent tough coach".....

1) "Her parents did not really supervised her...”
Même si elle n'était pas très encadrée par ses parents, Laurine était sérieuse et brillante au niveau des études (mention très bien au baccalauréat ST2S, sciences et technologies de la santé et du social).

The comment pretty much means this: "she did not to need to be pushed/supervised by her parents to be a good student in school in many difficult subjects", alt transl "in spite of not being pushed/supervised/guided by her parents, Laurine was serious and brilliant in (high) level courses/studies". She did not require pressure to work hard in school.

2) “She should have been to the Olympics by now"..
again.... not the right meaning in context. The coach praises her, saying she is good for a EC medal, to be in top 6 at Worlds and good enough for Olympics.

Sportivement, elle avait à l'époque le potentiel pour atteindre le podium aux Championnats d'Europe et une place dans le top 6 mondiale. Elle aurait aussi déjà dû participer aux JO.

"Sports-wise, she had the potential to medal at the Europeans, to be in top 6 at the Worlds, (and) should have been already in the Olympics (meaning - she was that good)."

:blah::blah::blah: Are you trying to give me French lessons? :grope:
I guess you don’t get the snark nor the nuances between the words... As @kirkbiggestfan wrote : tough love. You can feel the former wished her student would have accomplished more. BY NOW. I just think it wasn’t the right time for such sentences, as true as they can be.

RoseRed

But just a few lines is all that is needed to create an addiction or dependency. Likewise, just a few alcoholic drinks can kickstart an alcohol addiction/dependency.

I think that all drugs should be legal and treated as a social problem when appropriate. SFAIK it has worked really well in Portugal.
OT, but Portugal decriminalized drugs for personal use - they didn't legalize them. Like in Canada, cannabis has been legalized, but other drugs are likely to be decriminalized instead if those steps are taken.

Orm Irian

Sadly, L'Equipe has now published a more informative piece stating that the test Laurine failed (a urine test) took place at the Masters de Patinage on 28 September 2019 - the day of the free program: https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-art...ontrole-positif-de-laurine-lecavelier/1095161

Although their sources aren't FFSG-level official, they round up points made in a report in Le Parisien and by France tv, and note that because the test was in competition, Laurine is facing a four-year ban, which would probably mean the end of her competitive career at this point. There's no information as yet regarding whether she requested a counter test, whether one has been done, etc, and no comment from Laurine.

Very disappointed to learn this, and also very sad.

Edited to add: And still getting the feeling that FFSG is allowing this story to unfold without comment because it's a useful distraction from Morgan Cipres, but hoping I'm wrong about that.

Last edited:

skatfan

Cocaine use is so common. I know at least a handful of habitual cocaine users who seem to keep it together except for the constant sniffing part. It is what it is. Many including me have done it while clubbing. I do not personally care for “clean sport”. Athletes are human too and they deserve getting high once a while just like normal people.

Wow. I guess I’m odd then, because I’ve never used “recreational” drugs.

Athletes are role models, so I am all on the clean sport train.

starrynight

I can imagine that in-competition use of a stimulant like that is viewed really seriously. It may not have much performance enhancing qualities but I wouldn’t imagine some of the cold and flu tablets athletes have been banned for do either.

And really, this is not something that can be accidentally consumed through a supplement or prescription medication.

There really isn’t any excuse. If an athlete wants a bit of fun, there’s nothing against the rules about having a few wines or a tobacco cigarette. It’s not like there aren’t options.

Last edited:

Daena

RoseRed

You would be amazed by story of Richard Gaquet…
Similar thing happened with Shawn Barber, a Canadian pole vaulter before the 2016 Olympics. From his wikipedia page:
After the Games, Canada's Sport Dispute Resolution Centre announced that Barber had tested positive for cocaine prior to the Games, but was permitted to compete as the use was found to be inadvertent. According to the NY Times Barber avoided a multiyear suspension in 2016, successfully attributing a low-level cocaine violation to an intimate encounter with a woman he had met on Craigslist the night before Olympic trials.

I remember that he said he'd asked for someone drug-free in the ad he posted, and I think she testified that he hadn't seen her do the drugs. And the levels were trace, so it didn't seem like intentional ingestion.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I wonder if that is what happened to Martina Hingis - she always insisted she was innocent.

nimi

Candeloro has commented on the two recent scandals in French figure skating (paywalled):

Twitter thread with screenshots and English translation here:

Tinami Amori

Candeloro has commented on the two recent scandals in French figure skating (paywalled):
Same text, not paywalled.

nimi

So... Not a great start for Team France today :(

men's post-SP quick quotes
Adam Siao Him Fa (FRA), 2020 National silver medalist
I felt stressed during the program. I am a bit disappointed because the practices were good, not perfect, but still good, as well as the six minutes warm-up. The mistake on the Axel (popped into a single instead of a triple Axel) disturbed me - we had planned with Brian that I would do a 4S as last jump if no mistake before, but since I had made a mistake on the Axel, I did a 3Lz, but even there I made mistakes. (about the first part of the season) It is indeed more difficult this season than the last, I had also an injury this summer. Now I am better and can train normally. (about his musicality) I trained a lot on that with my choreographer and Marina (Anissina) to get better. It allows me to waste less energy during my programs. (about the 4Lz) We only planned to do 4T and 4S in the free skate. I was still working on the 4Lz until December but I had to change my boots then and did not practice it since then.

Kevin Aymoz (FRA), 2019 GP Final bronze medalist
I do not know what happened. I did not have more pressure than usual even if some announced me as one of the favorites for this competition - it is not the view I had about this event. Maybe too much stress or not enough, I can not explain. (about the fall on the quad toe) I did not get unfocused after that first mistake because it is the work of the skater to continue to fight until the end so I really cannot tell what happened. (on the practices since he arrived in Graz) It is a competition like another one, stress is just the same here. Maybe people waited more from me than before but it did not affect my perspective for this competition. (about Adam Sia Him Fa and Team France) I have not seen his short program because I was warming up but we have a really good team. I am disappointed that I could not represent our team at the best level today. (about the rest of the season) I will do everything to show my real level at Worlds and show that today was just an exception.

nimi

Well, there has certainly been plenty of "news and updates à la Française" recently, see these 2 threads:

But also: the French entries for Jr Worlds and Worlds have been announced. I was somewhat surprised to see that Lauriault/Le Gac ended up getting the spot after all...

JWC:
  • MAZZARA Maia (remplaçante Lorine SCHILD)
  • SIAO HIM FA Adam (pas de remplaçant)
  • DEMOUGEOT Loicia / LE MERCIER Théo + TERREAUX Lou / PERRON Noé (remplaçants Dupayage / Nabais + Fradji / Fourneaux)
  • HAMON Cléo / STREKALIN Denys (pas de remplaçant)

Worlds:

TitulairesRemplaçants

DAMES

Ø MEITE Maé-Bérénice

Ø SERNA Léa

MESSIEURS

Ø AYMOZ Kévin

Ø SIAO HIM FA Adam

COUPLES

Ø HAMON Cléo / STREKALIN Denys
Ø KERIVEN Coline / PIERRE Noël-Antoine

Ø Pas de remplaçant

DANSE

Ø PAPADAKIS Gabriella / CIZERON Guillaume
Ø LAURIAULT Marie-Jade / LE GAC Romain

Ø GALYAVIEVA Adelina / THAURON Louis
Ø LOPAREVA Evgeniia / BRISSAUD Geoffrey

J

Jeschke

LesGacs.
No comment!
🤬🤬🤬

Nationals
A/T 2nd
L/LG 4th

Latest Senior-B
A/T 179
L/LG 172

I know they train there but sorry, this is just all kinds of wrong after such bad season for them!

Who made that call in honour of DG?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information