NCAA Gymnastics

beckab81

Annoyed that such interesting competitions are stuck behind ESPN+ - I'm not willing to pay $10.99 for a subscription just to watch regionals :cry:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Annoyed that such interesting competitions are stuck behind ESPN+ - I'm not willing to pay $10.99 for a subscription just to watch regionals :cry:
I’ve just stuck with the live blogs at collegegymnews. At least finals are on free streams and cable.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Who do I have to pay in order to have any of one of LSU, Cal, or Florida beat OK for the national title or even just knock them out of the semis so we can have an actual good finals competition?! All of those teams are infinitely more interesting than the OK gymbots so PLEASE let one of them knock off OK this year! :yikes: (No offense meant if you root for OK but I am so tired of them winning all the time and the overinflated scoring that they've been getting for years is really driving me up the wall. :eek: ).

Aceon6

Unfortunately, the NCAA rules encourage boring. Unless and until the judges start looking at more that pretty lines and toe point, Okla is what we get.

firstflight

The thing is Oklahoma used to be unique in choreography and had variety in tumbling and beam elements. Like the 2014 team or even 2017. They won those seasons with the same coaching staff. I don’t get why they just got more and more formulaic the deeper we get into the 2020’s. Their beam composition now is just so safe.

They used to be my favorite team up to the end of Nichols’ time there, but now I much prefer Cal and Florida.

Rob

Beach Bum
Nichols was one of my favorite gymnasts, but there were a lot on the roster I liked up until 2020 or 2021 with unique style or great lines - Anastasia Webb, Mckenzie Wofford, Nicole Lehrmann, AJ Jackson to name a few.

firstflight

Nichols was one of my favorite gymnasts, but there were a lot on the roster I liked up until 2020 or 2021 with unique style or great lines - Anastasia Webb, Mckenzie Wofford, Nicole Lehrmann, AJ Jackson to name a few.
All those names are ones I've rooted for through their seasons, including Webb as the overlap gymnast with this new core crew that started with Ragan Smith. It's not Ragan's fault at all for what OU gymnastics has become- obviously the coaches set the tone. But it's interesting we both stopped saying there were a lot on the roster we enjoyed after 2021.

Aceon6

All those names are ones I've rooted for through their seasons, including Webb as the overlap gymnast with this new core crew that started with Ragan Smith. It's not Ragan's fault at all for what OU gymnastics has become- obviously the coaches set the tone. But it's interesting we both stopped saying there were a lot on the roster we enjoyed after 2021.
I was so excited to watch what Ragan could do. Unfortunately, OU beat all the Ragan out of her.

firstflight

Roadtonationals (the official ranking site) released final rankings for programs outside the top 8 this week. I emailed them last night because they had mistaken rankings for teams 32-36. They fixed it by this morning, but it was still confusing how they neglected to follow the clear Regional tiering procedure in the first place. Towson went from 36 to their rightful 32.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
If this has already been discussed, I missed it, but is anyone watching the series The Climb? It's a docu-series following LSU this season. It's not particularly deep with high level clips of their performances and some behind the scenes clips, but it's interesting to see their initial team retreat and some of the team meetings. Olivia Dunne is included in the group clips and she was with the group of seniors discussing their time at LSU, but she's definitely not a major focus of the show.

It seems to air randomly on ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN News channels.

Aceon6

Getting ready for Semi #1 featuring LSU, Cal, Arkansas and Stanford. It’s on ESPN2 starting at 4:30.
Semi #2 is at 9:00 and features Oklahoma, Florida, Utah, and ‘bama.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Color me stunned after that first event! I'm gonna be watching the judging VERY closely after that first rotation though.... :COP:

Aceon6

Color me stunned after that first event! I'm gonna be watching the judging VERY closely after that first rotation though.... :COP:
Thank goodness there is a full panel and there’s no PCS to toss them. Can we just call it now, though, just to be safe?

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Thank goodness there is a full panel and there’s no PCS to toss them. Can we just call it now, though, just to be saf?

Agreed and I wish we could, LOL :lol:

And now I'm the biggest Florida and Utah fan on the planet thanks to Alabama having to count a fall on beam. Some of these FL vault scores are making me cringe though....these are really nice vaults and I feel like their scores could be a bit higher.

firstflight

Courtney KC out at Georgia! Who do you all think is in contention to fill that role? Garrett Griffeth is the most obvious choice IMO but there were rumors his contract keeps him at LSU for the time being. Sara Carver-Milne at Auburn is another top option.

Aceon6

Does anyone know if Ellie Lazzari is cleared to compete today? Her leg looked like it swelled instantly after she hit the beam. If she’s out, that REALLY opens things up for LSU.

Answered. She did go on vault.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information