NCAA Gymnastics

Rob

Beach Bum
I’m stunned about Michigan. Where is a good source for the scores? I cannot navigate NCAA.com to save my life.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Same! Try 'balance beam situation' blog and click on his day 4 and day 5 entries

firstflight

I know there’s no way to avoid this scenario based on rankings heading into Regionals, but it’s unfortunate that Oklahoma, Utah, and UCLA are all in the same semifinal. It seems likely that a 197.9 will not be enough to make it to Finals from that semifinal.

I don’t think the second team will need above a 197.9 to make it to Finals from the other semifinal.
I’m sad this prediction came true. UCLA cleared 197.9 but it wasn’t enough. Both Utah and Oklahoma went above 198.1. And of course, the other semifinal required nowhere near a 197.9 to advance to finals.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

watching all the seniors have their last routines makes me cry EVERY YEAR
I watch when I happen to catch it but whenever they display that a Senior is competing, I wonder if there's some place where they can compete afterwards or if it's the end for them once they graduate.

alexikeguchi

Boomer Sooner! Oklahoma may not have the most beautiful gymnastics, but I love how they just keep cranking out consistent excellence without the star-studded rosters that the other top teams have.

Great competition, and the level of the last rotation was just insane.

Debbie S

Thanks for showing Riley McCusker's bar routine, ABC. :rolleyes:

Anyway, congratulations to Oklahoma! I don't follow college gym, so I only know about the former elites, but the level of gymnastics overall is very impressive. But OMG, the screaming.... 🙉

beckab81

I find Oklahoma's gymnastics very boring, and thought the floor routines were more generously scored than other teams, but they have an ability to hit cleanly & consistently that keeps them winning. Congrats to all the teams on a great season (and I loved seeing Trinity tie the 10 record!).

Rob

Beach Bum
I haven’t finished watching but I felt Utah gave it away in Vault. 4 sticks would have made up the difference.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm just glad Riley came through with a hit. How she's a functioning human being, let alone a high achieving elite athlete and college student is just so remarkable.

Florida finished on bars like champions. It had a very similar vibe to Denver's beam from Regionals. This Michigan fan is still traumatized, lol.

I really can't get into the scores because they are so...I can't even.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I didn't get to see the whole meet due to previously made plans for tonight but my mom, who has never subscribed to the shady judging theories I've had all season, flat out said that FL was robbed on bars and OU over scored on FX. I guess I will try to find a rerun of the broadcast to see it for myself at some point. Honestly, I'm over OU as a whole and I hate the judging issues that I've seen all season. My favorite teams this year have been UCLA, Ohio State, Kentucky, Auburn, and Florida and I will continue to root for them no matter how much the judging sucks at times. I really hope UCLA can keep putting it together because they're my top favorite right now (gorgeous gymnastics and they always looked like they were having fun...their new coach has been a huge blessing for them) and I would love to see them on top of the standings again. My heart is still sad for them coming up so heart breakingly short from making this final on Thursday night. :(

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
The judging issues are nothing new, but every team there got at least some benefit from crazy-high scoring.

Oklahoma was pretty crisp and consistent today, and I don't have a problem with their victory. In the final rotation DiCello was stellar, but McCusker missed two handstands and Thomas was wobbly on her landing. I do think OU got some gifts on vault, but then, Florida got some on Wong's scores on beam and floor.

Lots of lovely gymnastics, especially Thomas' vault, O'Keefe on beam, McCallum on bars and beam, and McCusker on beam.

barbk

The Athletic at NY Times has a fabulous story on Karin Lichey's perfect 40 back in 1996 at the Georgia v. Kentucky meet. While the judging standards (and tumbling) were different than today, I still really liked her beam and floor routines. The article includes a full video clip compiling each routine and reaction. https://theathletic.com/4362012/2023/03/30/ncaa-gymnastics-scoring-perfect-40/
(It doesn't seem to give me the option of gifting the article. :()

The video alone is available on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO4MPIcxN3I&t=416s

skipaway

Beneath NCAA gymnastics’ glow, a familiar ‘toxic’ culture

A Washington Post expose about “alleged“ coaching abuse by some high profile NCAA programs including LSU, Utah, UNC, Utah State.
The article focuses on high profile coaches and the history of their abusive behavior towards studen athletes.
Amy Smith, asst. coach at UNC, then head coach of Utah State and now coach at Clemson’s new program is particularly under scrutiny.
Utah’s coach, Tom Farden shares scrutiny and there is description of Kara Eaker’s retirement from gymnastics due to his abusive treatment.

firstflight

Beneath NCAA gymnastics’ glow, a familiar ‘toxic’ culture

A Washington Post expose about “alleged“ coaching abuse by some high profile NCAA programs including LSU, Utah, UNC, Utah State.
The article focuses on high profile coaches and the history of their abusive behavior towards studen athletes.
Amy Smith, asst. coach at UNC, then head coach of Utah State and now coach at Clemson’s new program is particularly under scrutiny.
Utah’s coach, Tom Farden shares scrutiny and there is description of Kara Eaker’s retirement from gymnastics due to his abusive treatment.
The reporters don’t explicitly make the connection, but they do point out the timing of Farden being placed on leave soon after they reached out to Utah about the threats by his lawyer to take legal action against Kara Eaker and Kim Tessen.

Interesting…

Rob

Beach Bum
Riley McCusker is apparently injured - no details but she posted a photo of herself in an injury boot on Instagram. She showed a nice UB routine video, but said Too bad you"ll have to wait until next year to see this. No-one knows if that means later in the 23-2024 season or not until 24-2025 season.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Fun meet between LSU and THE Ohio State University. It was interesting to compare a likely final 4 team with a “top of the next tier” team. I chuckled that Jeffrey has found herself on a predominately brown lineup. Maybe all the kerfluffle was just the result of a dust up between her and Marz and she didn’t know how to handle herself as a freshman.

Last edited:

firstflight

I watched college gymnastics for 24 hours total last weekend. There were so many available meets, especially the day after. My favorite performance overall was Cal. Just great to see the precision rewarded.

My biggest question for this weekend is whether Arkansas can repeat a 197 and/or stay in the top 10.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
For those who have access to the west coast events, can Cal take Oklahoma this year? I find Oklahoma so boring, I’m hoping that there’s another team besides LSU that can make NCAAs interesting.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
For those who have access to the west coast events, can Cal take Oklahoma this year? I find Oklahoma so boring, I’m hoping that there’s another team besides LSU that can make NCAAs interesting.

I'm on team "anyone but Oklahoma" winning the national title at this point (I am SO TIRED of that robotic looking team winning everything with ridiculously high scores) so if any one of Cal, LSU, UCLA, Florida, Kentucky (my personal fave), MSU, Utah, or WHOEVER at this point can take them down, I would be forever grateful as a fan would love to see another team finally win. :yikes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information