NCAA Gymnastics

Erin

Banned Member
I wonder why Jordyn Wieber is still a volunteer (vs. paid) assistant coach for the Bruins?

It’s an NCAA rule that each school is only allowed to have three paid coaching positions on its staff. UCLA already had three paid positions (Val Kondos-Field, Chris Waller, and Randy Lane) and so they are not allowed to pay Jordyn. There was recently controversy where longtime Nebraska head coach Dan Kendig resigned suddenly and said it was for some type of NCAA violation, and the speculation is that he was paying too many coaches, so this is serious business.

The good news for Jordyn (maybe not for the rest of us) is that Val is retiring at the end of this season, so it’s there will be an opening for a paid coach at UCLA next year. There has been no announcement as to who is taking over for her next year, but I would assume that it would be either Randy or Chris and that Jordyn would get a paid associate coach position.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I can only catch what is on NBC.

Are you in Canada? It’s harder if that’s the case (I’m lucky to have US billing plus vpn), but there’s still some options. Let me know and I’ll try to help.

AYS

🌻
Casual fan just dropping in to say I happened to catch a lot of the Florida-Missouri meeting on the SEC channel last night and there were tons of impressive performances.

Trinity Thomas is awesome. (Check out the Arabian right at the end of her floor routine - or whatever you call it in gymnastics):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7W04tzP3F4

Reactions: Rob

floskate

Vacant
10.00's for Kyla Ross and Katelyn Ohashi at the Collegiate challenge and it wasn't even televised :(

Thankfully UCLA recorded them!

Kyla Ross UB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhX9JigiCqA

Katelyn Ohashi FX - amazing stuck split double layout "Gutsu". I LOVE this routine!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ic7RNS4Dfo

Kyla scored a 39.700 in the AA. Considering her improved scoring potential on VT (9.975 last weekend for a stuck 1.5Y), is she in the running for NCAA AA champion?

Erin

Banned Member
Kyla scored a 39.700 in the AA. Considering her improved scoring potential on VT (9.975 last weekend for a stuck 1.5Y), is she in the running for NCAA AA champion?

I would say so - that score is right in there with what Maggie Nichols has been pulling in (39.75 last week and 39.65 this week). I think the question for Kyla will be the consistency on floor and vault and whether she can keep her spot in the super competitive UCLA floor lineup.

Another AA contender will be Trinity Thomas who had a great debut on three events for Florida this week and just over powered it on vault. We've seen her stick 1.5s in training and in elite, so I'm not too worried that the landing will come for vault. Hopefully it was just first night adrenaline and she'll get it on the next one.

Both UCLA and Florida look great on 3 events in their initial competitions and it's a question of whether they can get vaulting sorted out. Oklahoma had a vault lineup this week of all 1.5Y, the first time I think a team has hit the elusive 6 10.0 starts since the yurchenko full was devalued, and even more importantly they all had good landings, so that's a big advantage that Oklahoma has over the other teams right now.

Lara

Am in the US.

You’ve got a number of paid streaming options then that don’t require cable. Check out ESPN+ - I’m not positive whether it includes most meets, but I believe it’s only $5/month and there’s a trial. There’s other services like SlingTV, PlaystationVue, YouTubeTV which are more expensive, but maybe doable for a couple months.

Otherwise, best bet is to look at the schedule each weekend. Meets that aren’t nationally televised may have a free stream by the university (quality varies).

I also found some Pac12 links that are working for now...
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFBStreams...nce_network_channels/?st=JQVD65HF&sh=808a117b

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The SEC channel is doing a good job with replays. Mizzou/Fla followed by LSU/Auburn this afternoon. The HD channel is 575 on FIOS.

alexikeguchi

It's now got something like 13 million views already! Definitely hit a nerve with the general public.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...e-just-broke-internet/?utm_term=.a824b50e568b

I saw UCLA two seasons ago when they visited Oklahoma, but this routine has inspired me to put the meet on my calendar for this year too. Kyla and Katelyn did a great job then but look to have taken it up another notch this season. I won't be too upset if they beat my Sooners this year!

pollyanna

Lara

My local news just had a segment on Ohashi (I doubt even Peng Peng last season got that publicity here). :eek: It's been all over my timeline too. :cheer: Amazing how much that routine blew up!

I'd honestly wondered if she could top Michael Jackson but she clearly managed lol.

Rob

Beach Bum
The look on Jordyn Weiber's face is like "oh I'd trade a gold medal for the chance to do that." I am glad that Ohashi is happy with how it all turned out.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
So many of the elites have thrived, maybe USAG needs to support team gym at younger ages.

LarrySK8

Denver looked very good in its 1st meet - the quad meet with Michigan, Alabama and Bowling Green. They beat a really good Michigan team and Alabama. I also saw Oklahoma continuing to be great and beating Georgia, no contest. Utah looked really good beating BYU.

I like NCAA because it kind of reminds me of the old-fashioned elite meets, the compulsories, as many of the teams all have similar routines and elements. Landings are so critical as well, making for dramatic moments. We also get to see the kids of famous gymnasts like Mary Lou and Brandy Johnson competing, which is very cool for those of us old enough to have VCR tapes of their moms.

Last edited:

skatfan

Ohashi will surely be invited to the next DWTS?

I sure hope so! I think the next one won't be until the Fall, which could be good for Ohashi, if she graduates in the spring, because she can then not have to deal with stupid NCAA rules on receiving compensation.

ilovepaydays

For those who have the SEC Network, there’s massive NCAA gymnastics on tonight! :D

6:00-7:30pm EST: Arkansas at Kentucky
7:30-9:00pm EST: Alabama at Georgia
9:00-10:30pm EST: Florida at LSU

Watching Arkansas/Kentucky right now: Kentucky is pretty lit going into the 3rd rotation. Ahead by 1.525! :eek:

ilovepaydays

Continuing the PBP....

I didn’t realize that Courtney McCool (now Griffeth) is now a coach at Arkansas. She must be a new hire - I don’t remember seeing her there before.

Arkansas is now more fun to watch on floor but the tumbling pass difficulty just isn’t there yet to compete against other SEC teams/Oklahoma/UCLA.

Kentucky on beam was YIKES! Arkansas is now behind by .250 going into the last rotation - even with their (relatively) low difficulty and scored routines.

My apologies for this shallow point, but I think both teams had very pretty leos. Nice colors and accent combinations. But I’ll admit that both schools have colors (Arkansas - red/white, Kentucky - blue/white) that’s easy to work with. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information