NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

momnatur

However, NBC's "Contact Us" can't always solve all the questions. Here's what happenedd to me, and it's a really wierd one:

It was Saturday, 1 September, a busy day for me, SportsGold-wise. Because there were two (cycling) races going on concurrently. Since SpGold had start times that varied, I would leave my connection to SpGold open in a tab on my mac browser and check it daily for start times. Since I also use an ad-blocker which has to b e turned off before I go to the SpGold tab, or nothing will work. I think that is how it all started. Because everything was just fine Saturday morning. Then, just like someone had flipped a switch, everything was wrong.

I went to the SpGold tab to look something up, but nothing was there. Just a few headings, and the dropdown box to filter what you want to see. Except that the dropdown box was blank. Hmmmm... that's kinda wierd. Then I closed that tab and opened SpGold in a new tab. OK...??? So why am I seeing a bunch of FOOTBALL pictures... not, soccer, Football. Went to filter, and the only pass listed was Noltra Dame. ???? That's REALLY weird. For those of you who don'k know, I have two passes: Figure Skating and Cycling. There are a few more available for Rugby, Premere League Soccer, auto racing, and I don't know what all....But I have never seen Noltra Dame???? And where are my two passes????

So, while I left that tab open, I opened a new tab and selected the NBC SpGold shortcut that I had set up previously. And there, just like nothing else had been happening before, was the list of events like usual...

Now, if that isn't weird enough, I can watch SpGold on my phones, ipad mini, and my Roku stick. The ONLY place where I had ANY problems was on my mac. Everything else worked flawlessly.

(Back story: I was told by Spectrum that once the switch was made to Spectrum, Time Warner customers could no longer get the Olympic channel. But HuLu has the Olympic channel, IF you have HuLu + live TV. So I got that, but I couldn't get it on my mac (I think, don't remember) so I bought a RoKu stick, which offers HuLu on which I can get the Olympic channel; and Roku also carries SpGold.) The hard part comes when something is on both, switching back and forth is hardly straightforward. And I have yet to figure out how I can get picture and picture or some such. This stuff is so confusing!

So, back to the real story, they never did solve my problem, so I only use the shortcut-link I created previously and it has seemed to work every time.

How bizarre, how bizarre.

Carolla5501

I wound up buying this after they sent out some discount code. Haven't used it much but I tend to watch on my Ipad and so far no issues at all.

aemeraldrainc

Just want to say that I've had no problems so far. I have the app on my Android phone and my Roku TV and both have amazing quality. I never subscribed to icenetwork so I can't tell the difference but it sounds like this NBC Gold Pass is way better.
Also, just a heads up. You can currently see all of last seasons competitions(Worlds, Europeans, Grand Prix's and final, Four Continents, US sectionals, junior and senior Nationals) with no commentary on replay.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
It's past summer, so it would be nice to know what they plan to air.
Their main page for Gold shows US regionals, sectionals and nationals, all of the GPs, Euros, 4CCs, and Worlds. I would expect that they handle it like the cycling pass so that folks get the big events on NBCSN/OChan, possibly on delay. We’ll know better when the October schedule is pushed to TV Guide.

maureenfarone

Their main page for Gold shows US regionals, sectionals and nationals, all of the GPs, Euros, 4CCs, and Worlds. I would expect that they handle it like the cycling pass so that folks get the big events on NBCSN/OChan, possibly on delay. We’ll know better when the October schedule is pushed to TV Guide.
I'm probably impatient, but shouldn't a schedule for Skate America be up on the Gold Pass? When I check the Gold Pass on my laptop I see the on demand sectionals, regionals, and info about GP, Nationals. I don't actually see any streaming schedule for SA.

When I look at the Gold Pass on my Roku I can't find anything for figure skating live/upcoming events. No mention of any types of competitions. The only thing I see for figure skating is "replays".

Is this how it should be? I keep thinking I've missed doing something, especially with the Roku. Any help appreciated.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I’m on Roku as well. I’m going to tweet them so they know it’s missing.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I'm probably impatient, but shouldn't a schedule for Skate America be up on the Gold Pass? When I check the Gold Pass on my laptop I see the on demand sectionals, regionals, and info about GP, Nationals. I don't actually see any streaming schedule for SA.

When I look at the Gold Pass on my Roku I can't find anything for figure skating live/upcoming events. No mention of any types of competitions. The only thing I see for figure skating is "replays".

Is this how it should be? I keep thinking I've missed doing something, especially with the Roku. Any help appreciated.

The US International Classic schedule didn't show up on the Gold Pass until shortly before the event, so I wouldn't be concerned that SA isn't up yet.

maureenfarone

A couple of weird things have happened. I am looking at NBC Gold through my Roku and am finding videos for Northwest INTEMEDIATE men....and it is actually intermediate not something that is labeled incorrectly. These are supposed to be free on Fanzone.

When I tried watching NBC Gold this morning on my laptop I can't access any of the replays. I logged out of Gold and back in and everything is still coming up locked. Not happy.

In checking NBC Gold on laptop I now have the videos unlocked. But the labels are horrible. I am seeing 2 videos labeled Northwest Regionals Sr. (no Ladies or Men) and 2 Northwest Regionals Jr. Men (but no SP or FS) and 2 that have Northwest Regionals Jr. :huh:

Last edited:

rhapsody

Fingers crossed that the booth is empty.

I really hope so.

I had access to the Olympic Channel last year but opted for bad-quality, illegal Russian/Kazakh feeds after the first GP because I just couldn't stand Ryan Bradley.

maureenfarone

The streaming schedule for NBC Sports Gold is up: www.nbcsports.com/gold You need to select Figure Skating on the tab that says "Pass" on the left side of the screen.

There is an error as it is currently showing the Mens SP on Thursday night at 11:55 p.m. ET. It is supposed to be Friday night 10/19 after the Pairs SP. I sent NBC an email about this.

mollymgr

I really hope so.

I had access to the Olympic Channel last year but opted for bad-quality, illegal Russian/Kazakh feeds after the first GP because I just couldn't stand Ryan Bradley.
I find his fake excitement and random pitch changing croaks with every jump announcement quite intolerable too.:shuffle:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yesterday it was great, though I had to do "i'm not a robot" 3 times. Today I can't get the replay section to work at all.

You ain't kidding. I get so sick and tired of the "I am not a robot" sign-in ridiculosity! A waste of time! What happened to simply proving you can make out odd-looking letters and numbers? :drama:

I also have trouble even being able to get to the Figure skating video/ streaming/ archives page. This site is NOT user friendly at all.

Plus, it looks like we can't see portions of SA in real time that are gonna be shown on NBCSN, and not on regular broadcast tv. I ain't paying to get NBCSN just to see those portions of the event live, when I've already paid for freakin' NBCGold figure skating package!!! :angryfire :mad: :wall:

Skittl1321

Plus, it looks like we can't see portions of SA in real time that are gonna be shown on NBCSN, and not on regular broadcast tv. I ain't paying to get NBCSN just to see those portions of the event live, when I've already paid for freakin' NBCGold figure skating package!!! :angryfire:mad::wall:

Wait- what?!! Seriously?!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
You ain't kidding. I get so sick and tired of the "I am not a robot" sign-in ridiculosity! A waste of time! What happened to simply proving you can make out odd-looking letters and numbers? :drama:

I also have trouble even being able to get to the Figure skating video/ streaming/ archives page. This site is NOT user friendly at all.

Plus, it looks like we can't see portions of SA in real time that are gonna be shown on NBCSN, and not on regular broadcast tv. I ain't paying to get NBCSN just to see those portions of the event live, when I've already paid for freakin' NBCGold figure skating package!!! :angryfire:mad::wall:

The men's and ladies free skates are shown on the NBC Gold streaming schedule, so it looks to me like they'll be shown live online unless I'm not seeing something.

azcalder

Does anyone have a website or phone number for their customer service. I tried last night for 45 minutes to sign up and it kept going in a loop - then I sent an email to their posted address and it came back. I have NBCSN in my package, but not sure what disciplines they will show. My Olympic Channel is a going to broadcast the events, but a week late.

maureenfarone

Does anyone have a website or phone number for their customer service. I tried last night for 45 minutes to sign up and it kept going in a loop - then I sent an email to their posted address and it came back. I have NBCSN in my package, but not sure what disciplines they will show. My Olympic Channel is a going to broadcast the events, but a week late.
The email I've used is [email protected] This is only for the Sports Gold AFAIK

The TV broadcast info (not the streaming) is here: http://www.usfsa.org/events?id=84206

aftershocks

Banned Member
The men's and ladies free skates are shown on the NBC Gold streaming schedule, so it looks to me like they'll be shown live online unless I'm not seeing something.

Okay, I hope so! I noticed on their broadcast schedule that some portions weren't listed under livestreaming but we shall see.

As I said trying to navigate the site efficiently is a complete nightmare. :drama:

dinakt

Well... the stream was super. Great quality on my computer using Wi-Fi, great quality on my phone, just using LTE while walking. I feel like the technology jumped 20 years ahead, in comparison with constant frustration that was my streaming over the last 5 years. Too bad skating could not afford a dedicated platform with decent technology, but I am happy at the moment.

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Somebody knows where the archived streams of Skate America are located in the NBC Sports Gold??? I can't find them or are they not up yet??

oleada

Is the NBC sports app on Roku the right one or is there a separate NBC sports Gold app?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information