Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

lurkz2

Sad but understandable. I think he still might have gone to Worlds had he not had the insane tour schedule immediately afterwards.
I don't think his withdrawal had anything to do with the tour schedule where he can skate with no required elements. We have all observed his nagging injury this season and I guess it flared up with the pre-competition ramping up of training.

I hope this nagging injury is finally addressed during his upcoming Yale break. (Hope it's just a break and we see him back after he graduates from Yale. I need closure on the Mozart program.)

I'm a bit disappointed but at the same time counting my blessings that his body held up for the Olympics with programs I can rewatch.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I'm so sad 😔. I was hoping to see Nathan on competitive ice again, since who knows if he will again after Yale. Still, I look forward to seeing him on the Stars On Ice tour!

I hope that he can now focus on fully recovering from his nagging injury! Nathan's health and happiness are the most important things! 💙🙏💙

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
I hope this nagging injury is finally addressed during his upcoming Yale break. (Hope it's just a break and we see him back after he graduates from Yale. I need closure on the Mozart program.)

I'm trying to manifest that Nathan brings back Mozart as a short program, but uses the OVXX remix of Mozart's Requiem (Lacrimosa) from the Contrapoints soundtrack, which is conveniently within the time limits of a SP.

love skating

Clueless American
I'm sad, but hope he gets 100% better! To fill the void I think I'll continue to do what I've been doing the last couple weeks which is watching old Nathan videos. I've had a blast revisiting kid Nathan and novice/junior Nathan. Gosh, he was always so good - it's such a pleasure to watch him skate at any age.

lurkz2

I just realized Nathan can now focus on the exhibitions. It's been a long, long time since a choreographed exhibition, maybe the time is now? Still pulling for a Hozier exhibition similar in feel to that ATS group number.

sheetz

Nathan spotted practicing at GPI by his young fan

US and the other GPI Olympians all dressed up

Nathan won the Male USSA Athlete of the Month poll

Flashback to the Games where Nathan made some new speed skating friends

If you ever dreamed of owning your own Rocketman outfit then these are for you!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Just for fun I've been going back and watching some old performances of Nathan's. I don't think I ever actually watched him in juniors (I didn't watch juniors much at all back in the day), so I dug this up. Baby Nathan skating to The Godfather in his little vest and tie is the cutest thing ever. :D And Raf looks so young and smiley!!

sk9tingfan

Just for fun I've been going back and watching some old performances of Nathan's. I don't think I ever actually watched him in juniors (I didn't watch juniors much at all back in the day), so I dug this up. Baby Nathan skating to The Godfather in his little vest and tie is the cutest thing ever. :D And Raf looks so young and smiley!!
That was in San Jose and live, his skating was dynamic!

skatfan

He said he’s a bit behind on coursework so hopefully he can finish - he may need to do some summer coursework next year.

But it’s hard to see him returning to skating competition. I think he’s accomplished just about everything except getting four or five World championships.

A.H.Black

Very impressive. I noticed that Janice spoke much more slowly than Nathan. I got the distinct sense that she worked hard on her delivery. I think she could easily talk at lightening speed - just like Nathan.

sk9tingfan

He said he’s a bit behind on coursework so hopefully he can finish - he may need to do some summer coursework next year.

But it’s hard to see him returning to skating competition. I think he’s accomplished just about everything except getting four or five World championships.
But who's suggesting that he'll return to competition? I think that continuing to compete will destroy his hip. And I don't think that taking off time and resting/rehabing it will solve his current problem. What we also don't know is whether or not he's potentially facing more, and extensive surgery.

sk9tingfan

@CantALoop is wishing he’ll return after he graduates from Yale.
I'm sure most of us would love to see him skate again at this level either during his last two years at Yale or afterwards. However, he did mention that his Junior/Senior year coursework is much more complex, requiring a lot more time. That could be advanced statistical analysis and algorithm/model development and these are total bears. Or he also could be taking his lab sciences if he wants to pursue medical school, which includes very long hours.

And while he's away, the competitive landscape will most probably evolve with the likes of Kagiyama, Cha and Malinin.

I guess we'll have to see.....

skatfan

I'm sure most of us would love to see him skate again at this level either during his last two years at Yale or afterwards. However, he did mention that his Junior/Senior year coursework is much more complex, requiring a lot more time. That could be advanced statistical analysis and algorithm/model development and these are total bears. Or he also could be taking his lab sciences if he wants to pursue medical school, which includes very long hours.

And while he's away, the competitive landscape will most probably evolve with the likes of Kagiyama, Cha and Malinin.

I guess we'll have to see.....
Agreed. I don’t expect him back in competition. If he looks to the example of Hanyu, it’s a cautionary tale of what happens to one’s body when going for a third Olympics.

sk9tingfan

Agreed. I don’t expect him back in competition. If he looks to the example of Hanyu, it’s a cautionary tale of what happens to one’s body when going for a third Olympics.
Over the last few years, I had trepidation for years about that hip giving out. Repairs are not always one and done, especially with the degree of stress he was putting on it.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Found these on the Olympic Channel website while searching under Nathan Chen

https://olympics.com/en/video/music-beijing-2022-gold-medal-figure-skating-men-s-singles-nathan-chen - Titled "music"

https://olympics.com/en/video/beijing-2022-winter-olympics-top-moments-and-highlights - Beijing Top Moments and Highlights.

https://olympics.com/en/video/nathan-chen-beijing2022-medal-moments - Nathan Chen - Medal Moments. Goes back to 2018.

https://olympics.com/en/video/natio...ents-of-the-united-states-of-america-in-beiji - National Anthems.

By the way, the Olympic Channel has the replays for Beijing figure skating available. No registering or subscription required. They also have lots of other Olympics videos from many years. Scroll down to the bottom and click on replays. Olympic Channel

sk9tingfan

This is a great video of Nathan teaching musician and actor Hayley Kiyoko how to move choreography onto the ice, intermittently showing how great Nathan is at pure hip hop off as well as ice. Kiyoko coincidentally is the daughter of Sara Kawahara! Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information