Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

Sylvia

TBD

sheetz

Nathan with a new Team Bridgestone promo

More BTW at Family Feud from Alice

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Alice is the oldest of the 5 siblings, according to this Oct. 2017 article: https://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/O...s-One-Title-That-Has-Helped-Him-Unequivocally

Based on the heights in this older photo she shared on her Instagram in 2021, the order appears to be Alice, Janice, Tony, Colin & Nathan: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaX4p9kOW2P/
I'm sure you are correct. I think it was Alice that wrote a story about her remembrance of a chess competition that the siblings attended as youth (the link is probably on this thread). In it she mentioned most of their ages and/or their age relationships.

Also, as Alice mentions in the comments on the instagram photo, the 2 girls were "children of light" at the 2002 games. I just watched that opening ceremony again (available for free on the Olympic Channel replays). Brings back great memories. Its so wonderful to realize that Nathan was a legacy of those games.

olympic

Will Nathan have a post-Olympic impact on US figure skating. IOW, will it become a little more popular -> attract more talent?

sheetz

US Champions on the cover of Skating Magazine. Nathan didn't have 6 fingers on one hand so just went for the pinky.

Nathan featured on the cover of World Figure Skating magazine

Korean fans bought an IG ad being shown this week

Last day to vote for USSA's Athlete of the Month.

sheetz

Some Nathan sightings:
Visiting his trainer https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca6e1fqOY6i/
With a fan at GPI https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca3wP-wrCFm/

Don't think I posted this Visa commercial

nguyhm

I re watched Nathan's Mozart program from Skate Canada and secretly wish that he would skate it in Montpellier. Am I crazy to think that the Requiem portion would be fitting to what's happening in Ukraine (and Europe in general). And not to sound morbid but there have been so many lost lives :cry:. The "remix" portion at the end could signify happier times again when "evil" is defeated and the world is once again at peace (wishful thinking).

A.H.Black

I will be very happy to see Nathan show up not overtired and not sick and still trained. There are three or four excellent skaters that will have been training very hard for the chance to beat him.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I will be very happy to see Nathan show up not overtired and not sick and still trained. There are three or four excellent skaters that will have been training very hard for the chance to beat him.
Nathan strikes me as the type of competitor who knows what he needs to do to be prepared and not get sick or overtired. I can't see him committing to Worlds after the Olympics if he wasn't confident he would be ready for the competition, even with all of these fun new opportunities that have presented themselves since he won in Beijing.

A.H.Black

Nathan strikes me as the type of competitor who knows what he needs to do to be prepared and not get sick or overtired. I can't see him committing to Worlds after the Olympics if he wasn't confident he would be ready for the competition, even with all of these fun new opportunities that have presented themselves since he won in Beijing.
I agree with you. I haven't ever known of a skater that has handled his career any better than Nathan. I worry though. I have been at 3 Nationals where he has been sick.

Last edited:

sheetz

I'd say he was clearly more stressed out when he was at Yale, where he'd often have to stay up late studying. He's presumably getting enough sleep nowadays.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ashley Clark recalls teaching Nathan to perform a backflip on the ice.
Clark tells POPSUGAR she met Chen back in 2012 when he started performing as a guest on Sun Valley on Ice. Chen, she says, had done some off-ice backflips with her a few years before the Pyeongchang Olympics, but he decided to wait until after the Games to officially try one on ice.

"I was stunned but not surprised [by] how quickly Nathan worked up the courage to perform his backflip on ice," says Clark. "From grass to ice, it was maybe a couple hours. It is a true testament to his athleticism and mental strength."

Allskate

Who knows how much training he is doing. But, he is having fun and taking advantage of opportunities he probably never will have again. It's possible he may not be as well-trained, prepared, and focused as he was in Beijing. But, he may be fine with that. It may even help him to have had some time to relax and have fun and see family. In any event, he has had plenty of time to do some quad sals and practice that flip combo. ;)

sk9tingfan

skatfan

And the Chen family keeps on conquering new boundaries! This time Nathan's sister Janice is at the helm, co-founder of Mammoth Biosciences. Alice was recognized by 30 under 30 a few years ago.

No wonder that Nathan is modest about his own accomplishments - Janice sounds pretty amazing.

lurkz2

And the Chen family keeps on conquering new boundaries! This time Nathan's sister Janice is at the helm, co-founder of Mammoth Biosciences. Alice was recognized by 30 under 30 a few years ago.

That was also Janice. The 30 under 30 list has featured Janice and Nathan.

livetoskate

The Nathan Chen effect has begun. I took my son to his first group lesson today in Morrisville, NC and was surprised to see so many kids there this morning. The rink was packed, and many of the families there were Chinese. I could hear the parents talking to their children in Chinese, and one of the moms who had a son in the same class came over and starting speaking in Chinese to me too. Well, it's a long way to go from scooting, swizzles, and falling to being able to even do a double jump, so we'll see how it goes and how many of the beginners continue after a few months.

Sylvia

TBD

sheetz

Nathan updated his IG with...you guessed it, another sponsored post. While it's nice that the Xfinity rewards program allows you a chance to meet with Team USA athletes like Nathan, that's still not enough to entice me back to Comcast.

Team Toyota honoring some of their global athletes who competed in Beijing

Fancam of the ovation Nathan received after his Olympic FS

Heartwarming anecdote told by one of the Chinese volunteers

Last edited:

sheetz

A couple of interviews:
The Sporting News: Quad King Nathan Chen reveals the mindset of a gold medal Olympian
“Even if I go for another four years, there are only six competitions in a season. So in four years, that’s just 20 to 25 competitions. Sooner or later, competitions won’t be there. So to be able to enjoy and be present, and to show the work we’ve been putting in is what allows us to do the best that we can.”

The Week Junior: https://twitter.com/theweekjuniorus/status/1503411559846092805

Karen-W

Interesting article... I'm curious what this is all about...

Though he’s not on top of tweets, that’s not to say he’s not comparing notes with fellow skaters. With the new six-camera system the official timekeeper of the games Omega introduced at this year’s competition, Chen can dissect every one of his own and his competitors’ moves, frame by frame.

“[Figure skaters are] motivated by our competitor and seeing how they approach these jumps,” he says,

He believes the technology will also help further popularise the sport as it dissects elements of scoring for the audience. “To have the technology to quantify an objective sport, and data to interpret how well a jump has been done…as spectators, it helps us watch and enjoy.”

Karen-W

30-second video on Omega’s YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTXr-YalcWU
“Explore how we capture the graceful jumps of Olympic figure skaters, using state-of-the-art technology to measure the entire performance from leap in the air to landing on ice.”
Yeah, don't tell me it's not possible to take the rotation calls out of the hands of the technical panel... The tech exists, it's just a matter of implementing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information