Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I can still see it. Maybe Weibo doesn't work for you. The text says:"(Nathan) probably jumped about 20 quads in today's practice. After the 6-quad runthru his mom said to him 'Do another lutz over there' 'Do another sal'".
Could be, though I'm pretty sure I've been able to view Weibo posts before. Regardless, it's a little disturbing if his mother really did do that - I wouldn't mind some collaboration of it from other people - and I'm sure it's got to be tough for Nathan if it is happening. I can't imagine the conflict between the cultural upbringing and the coach who has guided him to 3 straight World titles.

Karen-W

His new EX, The Nights by Avicii
Uhm, can he somehow expand that and make it into an SP? That is a million times better than his current SP.

sheetz

Personally, I'm not superstitious and love the FS--music and all. He just needs to skate it clean (and ditch the 4Lo). SP I'm more ambivalent about. Maybe a little more choreography in the first half. I do like the Nemesis reprisal. He should also skate a safer layout; no need to put both 4Lz and 4F when the BV difference is so small.
--------------------------------------
Nathan with NBC LA reporter

Skaters circling the rink at the end of the gala.

Some photos from the Gala from Getty Images

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Could be, though I'm pretty sure I've been able to view Weibo posts before. Regardless, it's a little disturbing if his mother really did do that - I wouldn't mind some collaboration of it from other people - and I'm sure it's got to be tough for Nathan if it is happening. I can't imagine the conflict between the cultural upbringing and the coach who has guided him to 3 straight World titles.
Didnn't his mother pull this at the Olys? IIRC, his mother told him to put in a jump that Raf told him he wasn't ready for.
Nathan knows his body (or should) and know what works for him. Obviously his mother's counseling does not work.

Did Nathan take time off school for this time leading up the the Olympics
If his mom is doing that and he's allowing it, that's on him. He already knows what happened last time. 🤷‍♀️
IIRC, his mother pulled this at the Olys. I think she told him to put in a jump that Raf had told Nathan that was not ready.
Nathan did as mommy said, and he fell.

Nathan is so laser focused, I am surprised that he allows his mother to mess with him.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Didnn't his mother pull this at the Olys? IIRC, his mother told him to put in a jump that Raf told him he wasn't ready for.
Nathan knows his body (or should) and know what works for him. Obviously his mother's counseling does not work.

Sylvia

TBD
Yes, he took a leave of absence last year (his sophomore year ended after the p*ndemic started). Here's a new article on the Yale University website (Oct. 25) that mentions he "plans to return to campus in the fall of 2022":

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Finally had a chance to watch the exhibition, and I agree that it's super good. But part of that I think is that he was relaxed and skating like the Nathan we're used to. I'm not sure I can watch him skate at SC live haha my poor nerves.

But really I'm glad that he used the exhibition to give the people what they really want: belly spins. Maybe that's what his programs are really missing. I'm half convinced someone in the powers that be told him not to do that in competition anymore...

Karen-W

Finally had a chance to watch the exhibition, and I agree that it's super good. But part of that I think is that he was relaxed and skating like the Nathan we're used to. I'm not sure I can watch him skate at SC live haha my poor nerves.

But really I'm glad that he used the exhibition to give the people what they really want: belly spins. Maybe that's what his programs are really missing. I'm half convinced someone in the powers that be told him not to do that in competition anymore...
Lol! It would be just like TPTB to do that. Heaven forbid they acknowledge that sex sells and belly spins are about as close to sexy as we're going to get in Men's skating, lol.

SidelineSkater

I watched both programs live in the arena. What a treat to see Nathan skate in person - despite the falls.

Thinking out loud. Had Nathan gone clean, would some people still be second guessing his music, costumes, choreo, jump layout, training, etc? Or would everyone just say oh wow that’s amazing?

I think it’s ok for him to have had a rough go. It’s motivating and he’s seeing ok. This layout didn’t work, let’s try something else.

Wasn’t his 4Lo clean? Not sure why people want him to drop it, unless they think it’s taking away from his other jumps?

Hopefully he can shake off the Nemesis rust and turn around for an amazing rest of the season!

Karen-W

I watched both programs live in the arena. What a treat to see Nathan skate in person - despite the falls.

Thinking out loud. Had Nathan gone clean, would some people still be second guessing his music, costumes, choreo, jump layout, training, etc? Or would everyone just say oh wow that’s amazing?

I think it’s ok for him to have had a rough go. It’s motivating and he’s seeing ok. This layout didn’t work, let’s try something else.

Wasn’t his 4Lo clean? Not sure why people want him to drop it, unless they think it’s taking away from his other jumps?

Hopefully he can shake off the Nemesis rust and turn around for an amazing rest of the season!
Well, I said it in the PBP thread the night of his SP... I didn't care for the music cut when I heard it during practice that morning and I still didn't care for it that evening. I'm a little more open to his FS being a good vehicle for this season but that SP is just bad.

sheetz

That's exactly what is happening. He was so hyperfocused on the 4Lo that he missed other jumps. I'don't remember him ever popping a 4Lz. And I may be misremembering but I seem to recall Hanyu saying that practicing the 4Lo made his 4S more unstable.

In practices his success rate on the 4Lo hasn't been good at all, and it's just so hard to warm up 5 different quads in 6 minutes.

Last edited:

AxelLover

Personally, I hope Nathan doesn't ditch the 4Lo and the six-quad layout. I want him to be the first person to land six clean quads and a 3A in one free skate. It would be epic! I want him to keep pushing the boundaries!

Plus he has to be ready for the possibility that Yuzuru, Shoma, Vincent or someone else performs a clean skate with five quads (and two 3As) at the Olympics.

AnnM

Are they saying it happened at this competition? Because like...there were many FSUers there. They would definitely have noticed something like that as she'd have to be doing it from the stands.

The couple I sat next to observed it during at least two practices, including the detail that she was shouting instructions in Chinese.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The couple I sat next to observed it during at least two practices, including the detail that she was shouting instructions in Chinese.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information