Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

Sylvia

TBD
Is this it? By Phil Hersh:
Scali began this recent collaboration with Chen at the end of November. They worked together two or three days a week for several weeks. During the two weeks before Chen left for the Olympics, Scali was at the practice rink in Irvine, California, every day.
"We started working on the things I felt I was lacking," Chen said. "Rafael (Arutunian, his coach of 11 years) covers a lot of my bases, basically everything I need in competition. But I did feel having an extra set of eyes such as Massi’s would help in the weeks before the Olympics."
One area Chen said Scali focused on was making sure the skater smiled during the upbeat final section of his free skate to show everyone he was enjoying the program.
"It’s really important to have your soul connected with what you’re doing," Scali said. "I think he had lost a little of the intensity of that connection. We gave the long (program) the soul he wasn’t feeling."
"We went through a lot of moments getting his movement and expression and emotion to do what the music was saying."
Scali was delighted to see Chen in the Olympic long program doing the things they had worked on. Some were subtle, some as striking as Chen executing both the quadruple flip and triple toeloop of his big initial jumping pass on consecutive powerful beats in the music.
"He hit every accent we were working on," Scali said. "That connection with the music on the right beat helps the program make sense, and it all goes into the eyes of the people watching and, of course, of the judges. It gives the feeling, 'I know what I’m skating to, and I bring my soul and emotion to the movement.'"
Scali admitted to some trepidation about tinkering with the skating of the three-time reigning world champion so close to the biggest competition of Chen’s life. It was reassuring, Scali said, when Arutunian would ask every day, "You’re coming back, right?"
"There is always in the back of your mind, 'Am I doing the right thing?'" Scali said. "I always go back to the feeling the skater is giving me. I could feel we were on the right track."
Scali said he absolutely does not want people to think he deserves substantial credit for Chen’s brilliant skating at the Olympics. Yet it was Chen who revealed Scali’s contribution.
"I was just happy and proud I could help him with anything he needed to feel ready for the Games," Scali said.
:)

If so, it was @skatfan:
Article and interview about Scali’s work with Nathan. No wonder I liked Rocketman more here in Beijing:

Last edited:

sheetz

He's now in NYC and standing atop Penn Station!!

Love the photo with JLB

Chinese fans were able to get a message to him, including video of the zoo he visited years ago.

A.H.Black

Sylvia

TBD
All in one place, Nathan's interviews scheduled so far:

NBC 2/22/22 Tuesday Today 7:00-9:00 AM - NBC
NBC 2/22/22 Tuesday Today Third Hour 9:00-10:00 AM - NBC
NBC 2/22/22 Tuesday Tonight with Jimmy Fallon 11:30 PM - 12:30 AM NBC
CBS 2/23/22 Wednesday CBS Mornings 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM -CBS
CBS 2/25/22 Friday The Late Late Show with James Corden 12:36 - 1:38 AM - CBS
TODAY Show video :):

He & his mom were on the third hour of the TODAY Show at 9:20 am ET.

Last edited:

Firedancer

TODAY Show video :):

He & his mom were on the third hour of the TODAY Show at 9:20 am ET.

I’m just sad it doesn’t sound like he is going to worlds. :wuzrobbed

aml78

It sounds like Nathan is done competing. The Salt Lake Tribune article says that when he returns to Yale he won’t be training. Good for him for going onto new things.

Heres the article for reference. I wonder if he will do light training while he’s there just to stay in shape. It’s actually well timed for him to take a little break and finish up school. But I’d be surprised if he comes back. He’s achieved so much. It all does need to come to an end at some point. I guess time will tell. Always hard saying goodbye to these athletes. It’s my least favorite part of the Olympic cycle.

sheetz

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan was just on MSNBC's "Andrea Mitchell Reports" (at end of the hour, just before 1 pm ET):

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/1496180618731954187
Has winning gold in Beijing sunk in? @nathanwchen: "It's certainly been a very surreal last two weeks. Now that I'm back in the U.S. it's definitely sunk in a little bit more."

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/1496181296015499271
On silver medal ceremony delay, @nathanwchen: "We're hoping for the best. This can take quite some time and I don't have concrete details quite yet but hopefully soon and we would love to get our medal soon."

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/1496181678838013959
On doping controversy, @nathanwchen: "I'm proud of my team and what we've done. We competed and we did everything we needed to do correctly and we did our very best and able to come up with the second place fairly. From there, I think we deserve our medal soon."

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/1496182237884256258
Seeing his mom on the @TODAYshow, @nathanwchen: "That was a really cool surprise. Of course I hadn't seen her since before I left for the Olympics about a month ago. So it was really cool to be able to see her & of course I hadn't been able to show her the medal yet."

FULL VIDEO:

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Nathan on Connecticut TV
is incredible.
Nathan on New York Live
Ted Koppy of NBC Connecticut did a great job interviewing Nathan. I found Nathan's favorite pizza place and sent him the "rebranded link. https://jet2nolo.com/ Not only do the choices look epic, but also the new building in which it is housed.

I was going to try his favorite Thai restaurant, September in Bangkok before the crud hit, but never got a chance.

https://septemberinbangkok.com/.

Will wait until summer after the Yale campus has emptied to try these "Nathan-Approved" restaurants!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan Chen tells how he earned his 'unreal' gold medal: Focus, friends and a belief in fearlessness
The American figure skater dispelled any PyeongChang demons at Beijing 2022. He speaks to Olympics.com exclusively about how he did it – and much more.
By Nick McCarvel
22 February 2022 11:16
https://olympics.com/en/news/nathan-chen-unreal-gold-medal-focus-friends-beijing-2022
While he fought for confidence at the start, Chen couldn’t help but break into a smile mid-program a few moments later, then pure joy – elation and relief – at the conclusion of his performance, when it was clear that he had done just when he needed.
"It was really special," he said of that moment. "Immediately, I was like, 'Oh man, at the [single] flip! I wish I could go back and redo that.’ But, of course, I knew I'd done enough to secure the win.
And Raf has told me, ‘Man, the one thing that I don't have is an Olympic champion.’ I know how much he wanted that. So I'm really happy that I was able to be a part of that journey with him."

sheetz

Some photos from Alice

Video taken outside the Today studios

Nathan posing in front of his billboard

Japanese interview in Non-no magazine

Another interview on his arrival at SLC airport

sheetz

Nathan was a guest on Zerlina.

Direct link to interview with Andrea Mitchell

Photo w/ cast of Today show

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread