Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

sheetz

sheetz

sheetz

For anyone in Southern California, Great Park is having a send off event tomorrow for skaters attending Nationals, including Nathan.

Nathan made a brief cameo in the Team Plus Five IGS.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Got a quick note just now from someone attending the Great Park Ice show - Nathan performed to "La Bohème" by Charles Aznavour (2019-20 SP music) and landed 4F ("a wonky landing") in the beginning and 4Lz+3T in the second half.
So, do we think this is confirmation that he's changed back to that for his SP? Wish he'd gone with Caravan if resurrecting an old SP but I can live with La Boheme.

Karen-W

I love that short. Would it be too much to hope he brings back the costume with the vest and the flower? Come on, Nathan, ditch the floppy shirts and embrace your inner dandy!
I agree, I'd like to see a costume that fits the program and the vest & flower was just dapper enough to work with Nathan's decidedly unfussy style. But, I demand at least one program per competition with a loose shirt because BELLY SPINS! :drama:
He did have new costumes for Worlds that we never got to see, I think it's more likely that we will finally see one of those.
Well, Nike does offer a multitude of colors and color combinations in their workout gear...
Just uploaded his full program here: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXsP_h6AYs4/
This program is just so much better, even leaving out the 3A, than that Clementine mash-up he had earlier in the season. Better costume, though, but please don't cut the hair.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I was team Caravan, but watching him skate to La Boheme made me happy. He looks so much more relaxed, and the footwork in that program really shows off his skating skills better (and yes twitter, he does have good skating skills, just look at that bladework).

sk9tingfan

I was team Caravan, but watching him skate to La Boheme made me happy. He looks so much more relaxed, and the footwork in that program really shows off his skating skills better (and yes twitter, he does have good skating skills, just look at that bladework).
I haven't done the research yet, but I believe he pulled his highest scores with La Boheme. But I love Caravan the best!

sheetz

Karen-W

I'd be very surprised if he changed programs again after Nationals. I bet he'll stick with these.

(Although Nathan has surprised us before!)
I agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see the jump layout re-worked in the FS because he is trying harder content now - the SP he skated yesterday at the Great Parks Ice Nationals send-off has a 4F and 4Z-3T whereas his 2019-20 version had the 4Z as the solo jump - but I think he'll stick with these for Beijing.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I am thrilled that Nathan is going back to La Boheme, at least for Nationals! It is my fave of his SPs! I also love that we get to see Rocketman at least one more time - that's definitely my fave of his free skates - but I'm sad about his Mozart program. It really grew on me, and I've come to love it. It's a masterpiece imo. I remember reading that Nathan had wanted to save Requiem for the Olympic year. Perhaps they're still working on it for the Games, but if not, his Rocketman is a superb program and the fans especially seemed to enjoy his step sequence! Perhaps he can use Requiem as his Olympic exhibition number, if Heaven willing he medals! Above all, I hope Nathan stays healthy, peaks for the Games and skates lights out there every time that he steps on the ice! 😎🔥🔥🔥⛸⛸

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I loved the Mozart program. But I think Rocketman may have the energy that he needs. I suspect that maybe, this time, Yuma Kagiyama is Nathan's closest competition, given what we know (not that we know very much) about the condition Yuzuru is in. And I remember watching Yuma skate his free in his second GP and thinking that Nathan was probably going to need something with that same kind of energy at the Olympics. The Mozart is elegant, but not energetic. And it's the programs that skaters can really tear into that tend to score well, all else being equal.

But I will miss that moment when he finished the last jump right on the "Amen" from the Lacrimosa. That was my favorite part.

meer

I liked Mozart as well, but wasn't ever a fan of his SP and both SP and FS were pretty dreary and dark. If he's going to do something like Mozart he needs a fun SP to lighten the mood. I agree Mozart is not really energic and doesn't really play to his strengths, or the strengths the judges really love from him anyway.

I'm also not sure the chsq ever came across well to some people either since while it's good in isolation it also comes across as more gimmicky than other programs he's done. It seems more like them throwing in some random dubstep at the end so he can do his trademark chsq than something that really fit the program. It's not nearly as natural as Rocketman, LoA or Glass which built up to that moment.

The La Boheme SP is also a good choice since it's very mature and soulful. I think he's outgrown Caravan, as fun as that program is and it wouldn't be a good choice with Rocketman either. Justice for Le Corsaire though. 😢

Anyway I'm sure we'll see Mozart again one day.

sheetz

Nathan is the subject of the last of Phil's 3 part series on USFS's centennial.

Nathan made a small appearance on a Today show segment to promote the Olympics.

Ode to the newborn (quad) King from John Wilson

Semenko, who is enrolled in medical university, mentioned speaking to Nathan at WTT about combining skating with study.
By the way at the World Team Trophy I talked with Nathan about study in medicine university, even before I entered the university. Asked him how is it like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information