My upcoming Boston trip

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This was totally unexpected, but I have to go to Boston for a mini vacation because my refunded tickets on Southwest airline are expiring soon. I can go for just five days (only 4 days in the city) and there seem to be a million things to do there. I am not familiar with the area, although I made some business trips there in the past (no sightseeing). I went to worlds in 2016 but there was no time for sight seeing. I had to return to work.

Earlier I was thinking of visiting Acadia National Park but it made my schedule too hectic and I couldn’t find the dates for a couple of tours I want to take- Cape cod and Martha’s Vineyard. I am somewhat ambivalent about the latter. I will definitely do a city tour, either Hop On or a regular tour (or may be both?).

I see they have tours of Plymouth, New Port, Rhode Island, even a coastal tour in a bus, some boat tours (I may do a sunset tour). I will be staying in a downtown hotel for easy pickup drop off. I am trying to avoid stress that results from overdoing (I can always go back). Relying mostly on Viator for descriptions and reviews.

My earlier plans were to spend a little more time there (a week) and include the Acadia NP tour. Now I have to wait till next summer.

Any recommendations for such a short trip to Boston?

Sylvia

TBD
The official site for the Freedom Trail seems to be down but here's basic info via wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Trail
ETA that the foundation website is working now: https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

@clairecloutier had some good suggestions in an archived Boston thread:
I'd go walk around the Public Garden and Boston Common (right next to each other), then head down Newbury Street and take in the atmosphere.

An alternative would be visiting the contemporary art museum, then walking around the waterfront area a bit.

If you're an Italian food fan, you could also spend some time walking around the North End.
Have fun!

Last edited:

paskatefan

Visit the Kennedy Library! Take a Swan Boat ride in the Public Garden! If you like classical music, try to catch a concert @ the bandshell on the Esplanade.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

If you'll have traveled all the way from out West, I'm not sure it would be fun to sit in a bus for 2 hrs each way to see places in RI and such. Acadia is in Maine, even farther off. This kind of tour seems more relaxing. https://charlesriverboat.com/tours/charles-river-tours/ A lot of people like to visit Salem because of the witch trial history; it's just under an hour from Boston. https://www.salem.org/

What about visiting Harvard in nearby Cambridge? It has great museums and the town has a lot to offer.

The Fine Arts and Isabella Stewart Gardner museums in Boston are both must-sees too.

For food, here are some places that have been featured on Guy Fiere's show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives: https://www.thedailymeal.com/top-11-boston-eateries-diners-drive-s-and-dives-21214

And Faneuil Hall is a common destination for shopping, eating and some events.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am considering seeing 'Hello Dolly' at the Boston Opera House one of the evenings (most probably 8/16) because the hotel is very close to the venue. Has anyone seen it? Is it good? Not sure if I should reserve my seat tonight or wait until I get there (they may be sold out by then?)

ETA: I read the reviews for Hello Dolly and they were mixed. So I am not sure it is worth attending.
A far more interesting event is Boston Pops playing Starwars on 8/16. There is a confusion about the location though. I thought it was at BSO but I am seeing a different venue. It is not close to my hotel so i may have to use Uber.

Regardless of what I do there, I am quite excited about this trip. I plan on taking a NE coastline tour in a motorcoach, and a tour of Cape Cod. Also Hop on hop off to see the city.

Last edited:

paskatefan

^ Could the Boston Pops be appearing @ the bandshell on the Esplanade? Go for it, if you can! During intermission or before the concert, check out the beautiful bandshell. It has the names of many classical composers engraved in it.

Last edited:

Peaches LaTour

I grew up in the Boston area, oh so many years ago! I can't offer you any advice about current things to do there but I just wanted to say that even though I haven't been back in 53 years, I still miss it.

Have fun!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
^ Could the Boston Pops be appearing @ the bandshell on the Esplanade? Go for it, if you can! During intermission or before the concert, check out the beautiful bandshell. It has the names of many classical composers engraved in it.

They were performing at the Boston Symphony Hall which was too far from me. So I attended ‘Hello Dolly’ which was a one minute walk from my hotel. Got a pretty good seat, and the performance was really good.

Earlier that day I did the Hop on Hop off tour. I found it rather tiring so I went back to the hotel without seeing the Boston Tea Party museum. Will see it tomorrow.

Just got back from the all day Cape Cod tour. It was very good. Yesterday I did the all day coastal tour and went up to Kennebunkport in Maine. Also saw the Huntington Beach and the light house in NH on the way.

Just one more day in Boston. There is so much to do in and from Boston! I definitely want to visit again.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My last night in Boston turned out to be beautiful. I took the Sunset Cruise. Great weather and beautiful views of the Boston skyline. At sunset there was a canon sound at the USS constitution and the flag was lowered. They do this everyday, from what we were told.

My best tour in Boston was the Boston Tea Party and the tea tasting afterward (plus eating a delicious piece of the Boston Cream pie). The narrators wore costumes from the 18th century. We were each assigned a role. Starting with the meeting on December 16, 1773, we went through the whole history. We got to throw boxes of tea in the ocean (they were pulled back with ropes). It was a lot of fun. Many scenes were electronically displayed, with the characters speaking. It felt very real. The battle of Lexington was emotional. Such a great idea to get the audience involved, instead of giving a lecture on our history!

I took the Duck tour after that, but the BTP was such a powerful experience that the Duck tour felt flat. I enjoyed the time we spent on the Charles River though. The ground portion was just repetition of what we heard on the Hop on Hop off tour couple days earlier.

I didn’t get to visit the JFK library due to the shortage of time. That is saved for my next trip here. I will devote one full day to it.

All in all I had a great time in Boston. Can’t wait to get back- may be next year?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information