My upcoming 'Aurora' trip to Alaska

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am quite excited about my upcoming trip to Alaska, in March. During my previous trips there (in summer) i was told that March is a very good time to see the Northern lights. I have always wanted to see those. In March they dont have 24 hours of darkness and it is less cold than Dec/Jan. There will be daylight for about 7 hours, from what i heard.

I have planned my trip around the new moon to improve the chances of seeing the Northern lights. I am taking a couple of tours (from Fairbanks, where i will be staying fir 5 nights) to see those. I have made all the reservations except the airline ones. Still hoping for better deals.

I have bought a parka and snowboots from REI and plan to carry thermal underwear with me. REI has sone good ones but i may buy something less expensive.

I am hoping to take good photographs but cant carry a stand (too big for my suitcase). I have a DSLR Nikon and a smaller Nikon A300. I am hoping that would be enough to photograph the Auroras. I can use my i phone to take some videos (easier with the i phone to send them to friends and family).

I am rather split in my mind about the one-day Denali tour. I have been to Denali NP twice, but never in winter. It should offer so e good photo opportunities. I am a bit concerned about the stress of doing the tour (by bus) for 10 hours, then taking a red eye flight back to Phoenix, and going straight to work from the airport. I hope I survive.

Anyone has been to Alaska in winter? Any suggestions?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I would love to see the Northern lights. Hope you have a great trip. I loved Denali and saw lots of wildlife but I did go there in summer.

Would love to see your photos too.

Japanfan

I am quite excited about my upcoming trip to Alaska, in March. During my previous trips there (in summer) i was told that March is a very good time to see the Northern lights. I have always wanted to see those.

I grew up in a small mining town in Northern Canada and saw the Northern lights many times. They are stunning!

The northern sky in itself is magnificent to behold. It is ever changing, whereas the sky at the Equator is much more static for lack of a better word. We used to always say 'well the sky is nice' when talking about the town, because other than the sky the only things to commend it for were the lakes and the fishing. My town (Flin Flon Manitoba, Canadians here of a certain again will have heard of it) was home to 'The Trout Festival' and fishermen (few if any women fishers at the time SFAIK) came from far and wide to compete for the biggest catch (and get loaded at social events called Fish Fries).

Another beautiful thing about the northern locale was the mist rising above the lakes when the seasons changed! I would think Alaska must be replete with fogs and mists on days without endless glorious sunshine or intermittent sunshine!

I'm reminded of my trip to Hada Gwaii, previously the Queen Charlotte Islands - many Alaska cruises stop there. It rained pretty much all the time, but one incredibly glorious day of full sunshine - and so many rainbows!

You're going to have an amazing time Vash01. Look forward to your recount of your trip.

I am a bit concerned about the stress of doing the tour (by bus) for 10 hours, then taking a red eye flight back to Phoenix, and going straight to work from the airport. I hope I survive.

Rooting for you! I've reached an age where I would not survive such a scenario well and prefer to enjoy madcap travel adventures vicariously.

Last edited:

alexikeguchi

I'm sitting in the departure lounge in Keflavik on the way home from my own northern lights excursion in Swedish Lapland. Truly they are a stunning sight. You will absolutely need a tripod for aurora photography, as even a strong aurora requires about a five second exposure. I took a small collapsible tripod that fit in my luggage, but the lodges where I stayed supplied tripods, preset cameras, and arctic gear to deal with the cold while you are out taking pictures to your heart's content. All I needed was a memory card, though they had a few extra of those as well. You should check with your tour organizer to see if they do likewise. Have an amazing trip!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm sitting in the departure lounge in Keflavik on the way home from my own northern lights excursion in Swedish Lapland. Truly they are a stunning sight. You will absolutely need a tripod for aurora photography, as even a strong aurora requires about a five second exposure. I took a small collapsible tripod that fit in my luggage, but the lodges where I stayed supplied tripods, preset cameras, and arctic gear to deal with the cold while you are out taking pictures to your heart's content. All I needed was a memory card, though they had a few extra of those as well. You should check with your tour organizer to see if they do likewise. Have an amazing trip!

Thanks for the info. I will ask my hotel about the tripod. I doubt that the tours ((one is 4 hours, the other 10 hours) will provide that. They don't even provide meals. ThevDensli tour is during the day, so i am not likely to see the aurora on that. However, i may see some from my hotel, i think. I will be there on the new moon night and two more nights. They do have some daylight in March.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I went ahead and bought a light weight tripod ($30 price) that I could fold and carry in my suitcase. I did get a weblink for a camera shop in Fairbanks where I could have a rented a tripod, but since I could get an inexpensive one, I decided to just buy one.

alexikeguchi

I went ahead and bought a light weight tripod ($30 price) that I could fold and carry in my suitcase. I did get a weblink for a camera shop in Fairbanks where I could have a rented a tripod, but since I could get an inexpensive one, I decided to just buy one.

That's great. It probably makes sense to get in touch with the camera shop any way because they can give you helpful pointers on the right settings for aurora photography. Sometimes the aurora is a stationary band for a half hour, but other times it can shift from one second to the next, and you won't want to be messing with the camera. They will probably have tips on the best locations to minimize light pollution and provide a nice landscape for the foreground as well; the aurora guides in Sweden were super stoked to share their passion with the guests, and I'll bet anyone who works in photography in Alaska will feel the same way.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
That's great. It probably makes sense to get in touch with the camera shop any way because they can give you helpful pointers on the right settings for aurora photography. Sometimes the aurora is a stationary band for a half hour, but other times it can shift from one second to the next, and you won't want to be messing with the camera. They will probably have tips on the best locations to minimize light pollution and provide a nice landscape for the foreground as well; the aurora guides in Sweden were super stoked to share their passion with the guests, and I'll bet anyone who works in photography in Alaska will feel the same way.

Actually one of the two Northern lights viewing tours i will be taking there is designed to see the Northern lights from locations that are away from any lights. We will be close to a yurt. If I feel too cold, i could go get a hot drink there. I am afraid i may spend more time in the yurt than outside-LOL. Not used to cold weather at all.

The other tour location has hot springs. So we can view the lights while relaxing in the hot pool. I decided to skip dog sledding. Too cold and too scary for me.

Not having any moonlight is a plus.

I will definitely visit that camera shop on my first day and get some pointers on aurora photography. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Japanfan

If I feel too cold, i could go get a hot drink there. I am afraid i may spend more time in the yurt than outside-LOL.

Do you have a really warm jacket and boots?

I come from a really cold part of Canada, Manitoba, and live on the west coast where it is to much warmer. I have found that it is much harder to find a good warm winter jacket here than it is in Manitoba. The place to go is probably a mountain equipment store.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Do you have a really warm jacket and boots?

I come from a really cold part of Canada, Manitoba, and live on the west coast where it is to much warmer. I have found that it is much harder to find a good warm winter jacket here than it is in Manitoba. The place to go is probably a mountain equipment store.

Yes. I bought a down parka and snow boots at REI. Plan to buy thermal underwear there, though I still have my warm clothes from Idaho. One of them covers the whole face except the eyes.

Next step is making sure the camera batteries and chargers are ready.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I finally bought a thermal underwear at REI (pants only). It is quite expensive but should be good (100 percent Merino wool).

Found my two main cameras and their batteries plus chargers. Even found my ski gloves but may buy an extra pair at REI.

I can't believe i am leaving in just 8 more days!

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Yes. I bought a down parka and snow boots at REI. Plan to buy thermal underwear there, though I still have my warm clothes from Idaho. One of them covers the whole face except the eyes.

Next step is making sure the camera batteries and chargers are ready.

Some cameras slow down or pause in extreme cold. Be prepared to tuck the camera under your arm or in your pocket to warm up if need be.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am in Fairbanks, Alaska now. Arrived after midnight last night. Light snow. I have good snow boots which helped. Morning- a lot more snow overnight. A ton of snow around, More snow in the forecast. I called the tour company to see if the tour was still on. I can't imagine being able to see the aurora in this weather. They will let me know one hour before the tour if it gets canceled. Otherwise they will pick me up at the hotel tonight.

There is snow in the forecast for my entire stay. I had planned this trip carefully to coincide with the new moon. I may not see the Northern lights at all but i will certainly see more snow. :) Got to have a sense of humor about this.

Ok, next time i will try in September or October. Less probability of snow.

alexikeguchi

I am in Fairbanks, Alaska now. Arrived after midnight last night. Light snow. I have good snow boots which helped. Morning- a lot more snow overnight. A ton of snow around, More snow in the forecast. I called the tour company to see if the tour was still on. I can't imagine being able to see the aurora in this weather. They will let me know one hour before the tour if it gets canceled. Otherwise they will pick me up at the hotel tonight.

There is snow in the forecast for my entire stay. I had planned this trip carefully to coincide with the new moon. I may not see the Northern lights at all but i will certainly see more snow. :) Got to have a sense of humor about this.

Ok, next time i will try in September or October. Less probability of snow.

I was thinking of you and wondering whether you had arrived and how things were going. Aurora activity is actually great right now, but of course cloud cover is a major downer. One thing to think about is something they had in Sweden and Iceland, where an "aurora hunter" drives you out to wherever there is a clearing in the weather (within a feasible radius of course). You can check with your tour operator if they have something like that which they could substitute if your booking has to be canceled. I hope it works out!

Twilight1

It sometimes snows where I am in Southern Ontario in April so not surprised you hit a bit of a road block weather wise. Drink alcohol and sit by a fire and hopefully it'll all work out!!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The snow is melting. The sun is out (but not like in Arizona , naturally :)). Some clouds have disappeared so I am optimistc about the tour. Alexikeguchi, thanks for the suggestion. I think this tour operator will take us to the right place for viewing. If the clouds make it impossible to see the lights, they will cancel the tour.

I will have another chance tomorrow night. Hoping for the best.

I have always loved snow covered landscapes, so even if i don't see the Aurora, my time is well spent. The hotel is very nice and relaxing. It will be a good vacation.

ETA- The tour called to confirm that they will pick me up at the hotel tonight at 9:15pm. Woo Hoo!

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Got back from the Northern lights viewing trip around 3:00 AM. Luck was not with us tonight. We waited for over two hours for the aurora to appear, but finally gave up around 2 AM. We sat inside a yurt, drinking hot chocolate and cookies. I stepped outside many times but it was very cold even near the camp fire, so I went back in. My camera was hooked to the tripod and ready if the lights appeared. They didn't, and they don't always appear when we want them to. It was an interesting experience though. If I keep trying, some day I will see the aurora.

The toughest part was getting picked up at the hotel and then being driven around to various hotels to pick up others on the tour. At one place we waited for 20 minutes for someone who did not show up, and later the driver was made to go back there to pick up that person. I and others from my hotel were on the bus (motorcoach) for almost two hours before everyone was picked up, and then it was just a short ride, about 1000 feet higher, to get to the yurts.

We were told that Fairbanks is on the ring of aurira, that is higher than 64 degrees latitude, so the chances of seeing the aurora are pretty good here. It wasn't meant to happen tonight, although the sky was clear.

It was an interesting experience regardless.

Earlier, near the hotel i got some great pictures of the snow and the river.

alexikeguchi

That's really frustrating about having to wait for the other clients; my tours all had a disclaimer that basically said, "you snooze, you lose." Otherwise, it sounds like all the conditions were there, but it just wasn't meant to be for that night. I considered my aurora hunt like a safari vs a zoo, where wild animals may or may not show up when I'm there to see them. I'm glad everything else on the trip is enjoyable, and I hope luck is with you one of your remaining nights!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
That's really frustrating about having to wait for the other clients; my tours all had a disclaimer that basically said, "you snooze, you lose." Otherwise, it sounds like all the conditions were there, but it just wasn't meant to be for that night. I considered my aurora hunt like a safari vs a zoo, where wild animals may or may not show up when I'm there to see them. I'm glad everything else on the trip is enjoyable, and I hope luck is with you one of your remaining nights!

Thanks. I have a tour tonight to go to Chena river hot springs. Thats another possibility to see the aurora. I am not getting my hopes up.

You just cant argue with nature. Last year in Maui i took the tour to see the stars from the Mauba Kea summit. The scenery was besutiful but the cloud cover did not allow us to see the stars. The guides tried even lower locations but no luck. Peopke rave about this tour becayse they get to see the stars from a telescope. I dont seem to have much luck with the sky- LOL.

About those late travelers- so one in our bus suggested that they impose a 5 minute grace period for hotel pickups. Afterall we made the effort to be there on time. Our tour guide said it doesn't work that way in Alaska. They are very laid back. They are willing to wait as long as they need to. He said just relax. I was anything but relaxed. I decided to use the rest room when they went to that hotel for the second time.

The guides also saud that sometimes the late coners make excuses like I was right there in the lobby. I didn't know the tour bys was there- some excuse!

Anyway we made it there. Unfortunately we didn't have any luck with the aurora. Can't argue with nature though. It's like what they posted at the Old Faithful geyser in the Yellowstone national park - We predict the eruption; we don't schedule it.

Japanfan

I hope you had better luck with the second tour, Vash 01, but it's good that you are taking it all in your stride and still enjoying photo opportunities.

I think I would be very disappointed to go all the way to Alaska, with seeing the Northern Lights being one of my goals, and then have it not happen.

But you are right, you can't argue with nature. And if you do make multiple attempts to see the northern lights, your chances of doing so obviously go way up.

And hot chocolate in a yurt in the mountains/higher altitudes of Alaska at 2 a.m. certainly sounds to be a very surreal experience!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The trip to Chena hot springs was very interesting. It was a cloudy day so we had no hopes of seeing the aurora. At one point we were in the hot pools (natural) and some snow flakes were coming down. They had thrown lights on the pools, making it look surreal. After that we went to the restaurant for dinner. When we came out we saw the northern lights behind the hills, in the sky. People were excited, laughing, taking pictures. I was surprised that the real aurora did not like the pictures. It looked white but the pictures had mostly green.

The camera set up last night gave me nothing, then i tried my i phone. Nothing. A woman standing next to me saud i need the Northern lights app and she showed me her pictures. So i went ti the front desk (walking in the snow), bought the wifi and installed the app with a lot of struggle. The tour guide helped ne set it up, and i could hear the camera taking pics but they never appeared in my camera. I had to settle for pics that the tour guide took on his camera. They are beautiful.

The clouds came down later, covering the aurora but people were still outside, waiting, or sitting in the viewing room, waiting. We left around 2 am, this time With the aurora experience. Got back to the hotel around 4 am, and now i am going on a dog sledding tour, with just 3 hours sleep. :)

Last edited:

WildRose

The northern lights aren’t always green, the colour changes. They are quite common where I live, but the best I have ever seen was up in the Northwest Territories near Hay River. We were travelling by car at night, the only people on the road, 100’s of miles away from anything, and the lights literally danced around us on all sides. We were in the middle of them. It was surreal, but very cool.

alexikeguchi

The difference in color to the naked eye and to the camera surprised me too, and all the guides pointed out that sometimes they just take random pictures of the sky to try to pick up a faint aurora or separate a possible aurora from a plain old cloud if there is a partially overcast sky. Even the strong ones I saw were green-tinged like a new leaf rather than intense emerald green, though the pink portion looked pretty similar to the naked eye and in the photo.

I'm so glad you got to see them! And have a blast dog sledding.

Tinami Amori

The camera set up last night gave me nothing, then i tried my i phone. Nothing.
if you see lights again, do this (practice before, to be able to switch quickly. check result after each try on the setting).

Set ISO to 1600 and go higher if needed, up to 3200
Start with Aperture f/2.8, if no results go to f/2 and then to f/1.4
Shutter delay… start with 20 secs, go higher if does not work.

don't worry about clarity/contrast with high ISO, you can fix it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information