My Dad Passed Away

AragornElessar

Hi Everyone.

I know it's been awhile, but not too long after my last post about how my recovery from that long awaited Foot Surgery was going, Dad started going downhill. Not quickly at first, but as 2017 went along, he was really starting to retreat into his own world. Then came October.

I'd been in Toronto for the Invictus Games & had gotten back as far as my Sister's in Sudbury, so called home to let Mom know. She was busy baking Apple Pies & asked me to call back in a bit. That was 5-ish, so I thought I'd wait till after 7 & give us all a chance to eat Supper. A few minutes after I'd called the first time, he'd gone to bed w/out Supper. Alarm bells started ringing & w/good reason. Later that night Mom thought she'd heard something, went to check on him & he'd thrown up blood all over the bed. She called the Ambulance & he was four days in the Hospital, but that was when he really started going downhill fast

Then three weeks ago tonight...He'd fallen twice earlier in the week, but not seriously hurting himself. Not the third time. Mom originally thought he'd hit the coffee table, but now we think it was his cane, but he hit his head on one of those two. Not only split open a nasty gash, but also an artery. Mom said our neighbour who came over to help till the ambulance came, needed the broom & dust pan to clean it up, that's how much blood he'd lost.

Meanwhile, I'd been nailed w/this nasty bug doing the rounds & after coughing the enitre night & most of the day, I'd finally been able to go to sleep &....Never heard a thing or knew what was going on until Mom woke me up to tell me. Thankfully, I've been taking part in a Chat that's part of one of the Cat Fostering People who have a 24hr live stream at YouTube & I was talking about how guilty I was feeling & beating myself up pretty good about it. One of the other Chatters I've gotten to know really well, she told me to stop blaming myself & as sick as it sounds I've been/still am, there wasn't much I could have done to help. Which I knew, but still needed to hear too, if that makes sense.

This time, he ended up breaking his hip. The surgery went really well & he was doing well, but then two days later he couldn't lift his hand past his shoulder & his right side was weak. The tests showed he hadn't had a Stroke, but what happened...!?! Then Tuesday we get called from Dialysis. Dad's in Distress & we should head in now. Here we are, 3 hrs away & meanwhile Mom's gotten nailed by this bug too & we're in no shape to be going anywhere.

We called my Sister & thankfully my Niece in Law was still up for a visit, so they headed up. We did a Conference Call w/the Dr & agreed no heroics. Mom decided to head over anyway, even as sick as she was, & she went yesterday, so she was w/him when he left us this afternoon. I wish I could have been there too, but know I really wasn't in much shape to really do much, but...

At least he went peacefully in his sleep. I'm so grateful for that.

I know there's some on here who have known me since the old FSW days & thought would like to know. Thanks in advance for the Thoughts & Prayers.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Sorry for your loss, I had a similar story when I lost my dad 2 years ago next week. I still miss him but it’s not as raw now. Hope as a family you can help and support each other. Sending you positive vibes!

Peaches LaTour

My father passed away 45 years ago. I still miss him.
Focus on all the happy times and grief will slowly shift to comfort.
Best wishes to you and your family.

mrr50

My father died 44 years ago. I think of him every day. I am sorry for your loss. Just remember that he loved you and will live on in the person you are.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm so sorry for your loss, sweetheart. It's good to hear from you, although I wish it was under different circumstances. Take care of yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information