Music You Hate in Skating

bladesofgorey

All those songs with lyrics where the word "fall" or "falling" punctuates a jumping pass or there are lots of general lyrics about slipping/falling. Why do so many choreographers think this is a good choice? And who knew so many songs contain these lyrics?

DynamicMutation

Great venting thread!

Lots of my least favorites brought up...BLUES FOR KLOOK is at the top and I am glad I am not alone.

Instead of repeating other unfavorites, I could do without any more of Samson and Delilah (though don't think it's been used lately)
and East of Eden (please don't throw tomatoes, MK fans :yikes:)

barbk

All those songs with lyrics where the word "fall" or "falling" punctuates a jumping pass or there are lots of general lyrics about slipping/falling. Why do so many choreographers think this is a good choice? And who knew so many songs contain these lyrics?
Ha! Meno and Sand were performing in a Kristi Yamaguchi holiday special taped in Denver back in the late 80's or early 90's. "FALL on your knees" was supposed to be a throw. She fell in the performance, then messed it up twice more in retakes before nailing it.
(Despite that, Jenni Meno was still one of my favorite pair ladies. She achieved absolutely gorgeous lift positions.)

screech

Bumping this thread up because how could you not read a tribute to POTO, which is finally closing on Broadway:

I love the music of POTO, but only the original Michael Crawford version. Why everyone always seems to choose the Gerard Butler version is beyond me. Especially since Crawford has a figure skating link - starting in 1981 he was a member of Torvill & Dean's coaching team, teaching them to 'act' and helped create their perfect 6.0 FD's in 83 (Barnum) and 84 (Bolero). He's with them here as they receive straight 6s in the FD at the 83 Worlds.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I love the music of POTO, but only the original Michael Crawford version. Why everyone always seems to choose the Gerard Butler version is beyond me. Especially since Crawford has a figure skating link - starting in 1981 he was a member of Torvill & Dean's coaching team, teaching them to 'act' and helped create their perfect 6.0 FD's in 83 (Barnum) and 84 (Bolero). He's with them here as they receive straight 6s in the FD at the 83 Worlds.
I don't know about his singing, but Gerry Butler is tremendous orders of magnitude hotter than the once-upon-a-time Cornelius Hackel from Babs's "Hello, Dolly!" :swoon::grope:

screech

I don't know about his singing, but Gerry Butler is tremendous orders of magnitude hotter than the once-upon-a-time Cornelius Hackel from Babs's "Hello, Dolly!" :swoon::grope:
I actually didn't hate Gerard's singing as much as most of the people who saw the movie, but IMO no Phantom measures up to Michael Crawford.
Also, I much preferred the movie POTO to the movie Les Miserables which just WOULD NOT END! (I also really dislike Hugh Jackman's singing voice, though)

VGThuy

I actually don't like Crawford's singing that much either. Butler is no classical singer but he was manly-sounding.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Which, of course, is exactly what you need in a show about a hideously ugly ... oh, wait. ;)

I don't find Butler especially hot, anyway. But even if he were, Crawford's singing voice is tremendous orders of magnitude hotter, and in this role, that's what counts. Or should count.

(Also, even if it did count, Crawford in his 40s was much better-looking than when he was in Hackl mode.)

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Which, of course, is exactly what you need in a show about a hideously ugly ... oh, wait. ;)

I don't find Butler especially hot, anyway. But even if he were, Crawford's singing voice is tremendous orders of magnitude hotter, and in this role, that's what counts. Or should count.
Good then - we won't be in any competition (from each other at least) for our choices.

screech

Anecdotal Gerard Butler story (that has nothing to do with skating music): a Scotsman I know has a friend that worked at the same law firm as Gerard after he graduated law school. According to her, apparently even before he became a working actor, he was exactly as successful with the ladies as he came to be known.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Anecdotal Gerard Butler story (that has nothing to do with skating music): a Scotsman I know has a friend that worked at the same law firm as Gerard after he graduated law school. According to her, apparently even before he became a working actor, he was exactly as successful with the ladies as he came to be known.
That story would put an interesting spin on the term, 'Court is now in session'.

SkateGuard

There's so much wonderful music that hasn't been explored yet... or explored enough. What breaks my heart is when you have an up-and-coming skater with a ton of potential and they end up with programs to like West Side Story and a Queen medley or something by Josh Groban or Andrea Bocelli. 'Safe' choices. I'm not being funny but choreographers and coaches need to stop choosing stuff that's never going to make a skater stand out... and it is a choice.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

There's so much wonderful music that hasn't been explored yet... or explored enough. What breaks my heart is when you have an up-and-coming skater with a ton of potential and they end up with programs to like West Side Story and a Queen medley or something by Josh Groban or Andrea Bocelli. 'Safe' choices. I'm not being funny but choreographers and coaches need to stop picking out stuff that's never going to make a skater stand out.
Agreed.

Your post makes me miss the time Anna Kondrashova skated to 'Pushing a grand piano down a flight of stairs... in B Flat".

screech

I think in general music that I hate in skating is music that the skater/team has zero performance to. So many skaters choose a song they may like to listen to, but then skate over the music, almost as though absolutely anything can be playing out there. I'd rather it be a song that I personally hate, but that the skater actually utilizes effectively, than a song I absolutely love and the skater ignores in performance/connection/presentation.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
  • Almost anything sung in the soprano voice range, in any genre. (I know that's a wide net, but I'd happily make that sacrifice to avoid the screech.)
  • Muzak, including tinkly piano, versions of anything
  • Vocal versions of instramental music
  • Badly cut music
  • Just about any jazz or opera cover by anyone who isn't a jazz singer or an opera singer.

It would be a way shorter list, if I listed music I actively like for skating programs.

screech

I dislike cover versions of most songs. The originals are usually better. And when the cover version sounds super similar to the original it's even worse - just go for the original at that point!

In my humble opinion......any music with the accordion as a main instrument
Does this mean you'd hate it if someone skated to a Weird Al polka medley? I personally think that would be amazing!
When I was a skater back in the 90s, my parents and I went to the local record score to look at CDs for music options. We found one that was classical music. We put the CD in the player and realized that we didn't look carefully at the case for the disc - it was accordion versions of many classical pieces. We were gobsmacked at first, then started laughing hysterically. Needless to say, I did not skate to anything on that disc.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ave Maria. It's getting boring, like Carmen. Variations may be ok, but not the standard versions.

West side story- all of it.

sadya

My first ever cd of POTO was with Michael Crawford, I don't know if this the reason, but to me that is still the best version of the phantom. Of Christine there are different version I enjoyed. Nowadays I can't stand most music of POTO, as most skaters overuse the same pieces. How original, when people always find the same few cuts from musicals, opera, even from movie soundtracks. Even if these are at least 2-3 hours long, skaters/coaches/choreographers will find the same overused pieces from these and reuse these over and over again.

And as Japanfan said, Big Spender by teenage girls. That reminds me of any music with inappropriate texts for underage skaters. Why let children skate to certain music, not suited to their age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information