Most Controversial Judging Decisions Ever

Vagabond

I wonder if there are any judging decisions that would have widespread support as being egregiously wrong among:
1) North American fans,
2) European fans, and
3) Russian fans
Yagudin's victory over Abt at 2002 Europeans and Chait/Sakhanovsky's third place over Drobiazko/Vanagas at Worlds that same season are two obvious examples.

Rock2

Here's one to analyze, which is rarely talked about, if ever.
And I suppose no one brings it up to be perceived as bashing a beloved skater.

Scott Hamilton's Sarajevo win would be my entry although it was never considered 'controversial'

Short program: easy combo (2L+3T), very average spins and his camel-change-camel was novice level, judged 2nd place
Long program: 3Z, 1F, 3T, 3T+2T, 2A, 2A, 2S, 2Z, 1A, 2S not at all impressive compared to what the guys were doing even at that time. Only 2 different triples completed. Judged 2nd in the free.

Many guys doing lutz combo in the short and also many doing 4-5 triples including 3F, 3Z, 3A. Way overscored.

skatesindreams

Long program: 3Z, 1F, 3T, 3T+2T, 2A, 2A, 2S, 2Z, 1A, 2S not at all impressive compared to what the guys were doing even at that time. Only 2 different triples completed. Judged 2nd in the free.
According to reports, Scott Hamilton was suffering from a severe ear infection during the LP, which affected his performance.
His skating in Sarajevo was his worse during the entire Quad, IIRC.
He was fortunate to have a large lead after figures, which compensated for the poor LP.

Rock2

According to reports, Scott Hamilton was suffering from a severe ear infection during the LP, which affected his performance.
His skating in Sarajevo was his worse during the entire Quad, IIRC.
He was fortunate to have a large lead after figures, which compensated for the poor LP.

But if you do the math, dropping him just a couple of places in short and long (reasonable) gives him bronze.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
1. Sotnikova's win in Sochi. Pretty ridiculous all around. Not only should Kim have 110% beaten her, but Kostner as well. If the judging were correct it isnt even sure she would beat Asada overall as in the short she would be about 15 points ahead dropping her score to the 70ish it should have been, and in the long program she should have lost to Asada by about 15 points (Asada should have won the long and Sotnikova been only 4th in the long).

Thank you for making this your number 1. It is my #1 too. IMO Carolina and Yuna both beat her..... Sometimes I think Caro should be the OGM that night and sometimes I think it should be Yuna.. But not her. (When I really think of it Gracie Gold in the bronze spot to boot.)

Oksana over Nancy in 94

Any competition with Drobiazko & Vanagas. This showed me what kind of scores you get with no Fed behind you. :(

Last edited:

alj5

Also agree with Adelina's Sochi win. I had Yuna with the win, and Carolina second in the free but /I go back and forth as to whether it should've been enough to beat Adelina for the silver.

I will also die on the hill that Michelle Kwan should've won in 1998. Yes Tara was feisty and peppy, but holy jump cheats and immature (even for a 15 year old) choreography.

skatesindreams

But if you do the math, dropping him just a couple of places in short and long (reasonable) gives him bronze.
The "dominant 3 year World Champion" benefit; probably accounts for his OGM, questionable as it may have been.

Vagabond

The problem with that sort of analysis is that it questions how the judges placed Hamilton relative to his competitors in the segments that we can see on video (the SP and FS), while accepting how they placed Orser relative to his competitors in the segment that we can't see, i.e., the Compulsories.

aliceanne

Here's one to analyze, which is rarely talked about, if ever.
And I suppose no one brings it up to be perceived as bashing a beloved skater.

Scott Hamilton's Sarajevo win would be my entry although it was never considered 'controversial'

Short program: easy combo (2L+3T), very average spins and his camel-change-camel was novice level, judged 2nd place

Many guys doing lutz combo in the short and also many doing 4-5 triples including 3F, 3Z, 3A. Way overscored.

Scott used to bring it up every time he had to commentate on Orser or Sabovchik in pro events. It really bugged him that he didn't skate well in the free portions and won because of his lead in figures (and probably reputation, although the 2 often went hand-in-hand).

binbinwinwin

For some reason, most of the decisions that have felt most controversial to me are in ladies.

1. Sochi 2014 ladies medalists
2. Baiul over Kerrigan at Lillehammer 1994
3. Worlds 2007 ladies medalists

HM Kwan over Chen 1996 Worldsā€” I feel the decision was correct, but understand the controversy

Can you explain about the World's 2007 Ladies Medalists? My personal pick would be the 2008 Ladies Medalists actually, Yukari Nakano was not always my favourite skater but I thought she truly deserved a world medal there.

Didnt one of the judges say he "didnt see Nancy's 3/3????"!!!!

And it even happened right in front of him I think...

That was a mockery made of judging that day.

I thought one of the judges say that he didn't see Baiul's 2 footed landing.

Fiero425

I re-watched part of 93 Worlds yesterday because of the Surya episode of the docuseries Losers, and I'm baffled that Oksana beat both Surya and Chen Lu.

I can remember Oksana only performing her 3-Lutz once without 2-footing it and that was at the 2000 Goodwill Games Surya Bonaly ended up winning over Yuka Sato! How she won Worlds and The Olympics was mystifying to me! :rolleyes: :COP: :judge: :kickass: :shizuka1: :oksana1: :sasha1: :sarah1: :yikes:

David21

2001 Worlds pairs event. The most shockingly judged competition I have ever witnessed in person. It was pretty clear that there was an agenda to give Sale/Pelletier gold at all costs.

You mean 2001 or 2000? :lol: The FS judging of S/P in 2001 I didn't even find THAT bad :slinkaway...it was in 2000 where S/P got some ridiculous marks and placements from the US and CAN judges in the FS...:yikes:

clairecloutier

Didnt one of the judges say he "didnt see Nancy's 3/3????"!!!!

There was also the judge who said later (long after the event) that the judging panel had grown somewhat bored with Kerrigan's consistency during practices and were swayed toward Baiul after she gained their sympathy due to her practice accident. (I'm not making this up--a judge actually said this in a TSL interview. :rolleyes:)

Can you explain about the World's 2007 Ladies Medalists?

I have watched 2007 Worlds ladies many times and I am still not persuaded that Miki Ando should have won. I still kind of feel like Mao Asada should have won. But I'm admittedly a big Mao fan, so I'm probably biased. I'm also not sure about Yuna's scores overall vs. Miki's. Miki was, at that time, so lacking artistically compared to either Mao or Yuna (IMO).

canbelto

The 1991 Worlds and 1992 Oly's for the Duschenays. Absurdly overmarked both times. Their weaknesses in the compulsories and their simpler routines should have gotten them bronze at most. To this day I don't know why they were so hyped.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
1998. Riverdance should have been silver or gold.

Katarina's gold medal over Rosalynn is still a travesty that makes me want to set myself on fire.

Oksana over Nancy. That 2014 winner over Yuna. Not to mention the tutu last year. Hmmm,I'm sensing a pattern here.

-BB

tripleflutz

Banned Member
There was also the judge who said later (long after the event) that the judging panel had grown somewhat bored with Kerrigan's consistency during practices and were swayed toward Baiul after she gained their sympathy due to her practice accident. (I'm not making this up--a judge actually said this in a TSL interview. :rolleyes:)

I have watched 2007 Worlds ladies many times and I am still not persuaded that Miki Ando should have won. I still kind of feel like Mao Asada should have won. But I'm admittedly a big Mao fan, so I'm probably biased. I'm also not sure about Yuna's scores overall vs. Miki's. Miki was, at that time, so lacking artistically compared to either Mao or Yuna (IMO).

Do keep in mind though Mao gave up atleast 8 points with her short program error, and atleast another 5 points with her two footed/very underrotated double axel-triple toe. I agree about Miki being lacking artistically but she was atleast perfect.

I think her 2011 world win over Yu Na Kim was far more bogus than her 2007 win. Atleast in 2007 she was perfect with a triple lutz-triple loop in both programs.

JanetB

4. Chan over Ten at 2013 worlds. I think everyone remembers this clearly enough I will not even bother getting into a description. .

I wish people instead of stating the above would understand simple math. Patrick won the Short program over Denis with 98.37 to 91.56, and it was deserved, he was brilliant. That win gave Patrick a 6.81 point lead. Denis won the long program 174.92 to 169.41, which is a 5.51 difference. Simple math Denis did not win because his long program was not enough to overcome Patrick`s lead from the short program.
Denis program was impressive for Denis but he was not technically outstanding. Patrick planed and executed 2 quads, while Denis only had 1 quad. Denis also messed up on his third combo doing only a 2F+2T. For Denis to win he need to be prefect, which he wasn't, in the long because he had lesser technical content and for Patrick to screw up, which he did.

9. Chan over Takahashi 2012 worlds. Takahashi had a bigger mistakes in the short but a much cleaner skate in the long, and his PCS in the long should have been higher than Chan's too, not several points lower which was crazy. Chan also got some bloated GOE on not so great elements.

Again Patrick won the short program with 89.41 over Daisuke 85.72 which is 3.69 points. In the long Patrick had 2 jump errors and but so did Daisuke. Patrick jump content was also harder he had two quads and triple axle while Daisuke had one quad and two triple axles. For Daisuke to win he had to be perfect and he was not. As for PCS at this point Patrick had the best skating skills and the most transitions among the menā€™s skater and I think it is justifiable that he as ahead but it was by less than half a point per category. Please note in the long program Yuzuria Hanyu was also ahead of Daisuke in the long program.

tripleflutz

Banned Member
I wish people instead of stating the above would understand simple math.

Totally condescending, presumptive, patronizing, and arrogant like most Canadian skating fans. I can already guarantee you are Canadian. Most of the rest you said is garbage and easily refuted but you arent even worth the effort. I will put it simple for you, start a poll who should have won the 2012 worlds Takahashi and Chan, and another who should have won the 2013 worlds Ten or Chan. See if Chan even gets 25% of the votes in either.

tripleflutz

Banned Member
Tara really skated as well as the Olympics at the Champions Series Final. She lost by virtually the identical judges split as Kwan did in Nagano. Considering the inherent flaws in her skating, I would say she did pretty well for herself to come that close to an on fire Tara. JMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information