Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

concorde

*In King County, WA, this is to advise that people 60 and over (among other conditions) avoid large gatherings. Which means if the subscriber base follows this advice, they'll be lucky to get a minyon's worth of people to the ballet this coming weekend :shuffle:

This is following US CBC guidance that says those over 60 should avoid crowds.

RoseRed

Grassl/Tornaghi will come straight from junior worlds.
Rizzo, Guignard/Fabbri are already in CAN.
Roy/Pietrantonio train in CAN.

DellaMonica/Guarise? 🤷🏼‍♂️
As they’re from the same rink as Rizzo, I would assume they are overseas already too.
Given the quarantine on Northern Italy, some of them won't be able to go home until April, will they?

DFJ

Global is reporting that the Quebec government is considering cancelling Worlds. Have to see what happens but I'm glad I decided not to go back to my home town.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Global is reporting that the Quebec government is considering cancelling Worlds. Have to see what happens but I'm glad I decided not to go back to my home town.
I imagine that’s what the ISU is waiting for, and why they haven’t cancelled on their own accord. They’ve simply spent too much at this point. Their insurance policy probably only covers cases where the ISU has to cancel due to a government body forcing them to do so, or acts of nature or war making it impossible to do so.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Given the quarantine on Northern Italy, some of them won't be able to go home until April, will they?
The quarantine has just be extended to the whole country. You can't get out but you can still get in. At least for now.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
It appears that a decision by the Quebec authorities could be taken later today: https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...pionships-coronavirus-impact?templateParam=15

"As to the ISU World Figure Skating Championships scheduled to be held in Montreal on March 16-22, 2020, the ISU learned that the Quebec Health Ministry has scheduled a meeting for this morning Quebec time to discuss all major events in the province. The ISU will not fail to communicate and comment on conclusions of this meeting as soon as publicly available."

Erin

Banned Member
Do you think they'll try to run it with no audience?

Given that the ISU seems loath to cancel and has been putting out a lot of information to protect people with accreditation, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what happens.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
If they postpone and decide to hold them without an audience, the number of options for rinks grows significantly, given the number of practice rinks available with small crowd seating. That is, unless, Quebec allows them to run it next week without an audience.

Sk8tn

Evenko is saying there will be no exceptions to their no refund policy. Do people think that will stand or that they will have to cave and refund ticket holders? It does seem unconscionable to not make those of us who bought tickets whole by issuing a refund. It is not up to our discretion if the event is canceled or if spectators are no longer allowed.

This was my first time to buy tickets to Worlds. If they do not do the right thing, it would be very hard to ever consider trying to attend in the future.

peibeck

Simply looking
Why spend even more money to swap venues at this late date? We're less than a week from start of practices. I'd think any modifications to the arena are underway or starting by tomorrow at the latest.

emilieh

Why spend even more money to swap venues at this late date? We're less than a week from start of practices. I'd think any modifications to the arena are underway or starting by tomorrow at the latest.

There's a home hockey game tonight and another one Thursday. Guessing the ISU gets into the venue on Friday?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't know what the cancellation (Bell Centre) or insurance terms are. Bell Centre might be more expensive than changing venues. Or, if the practice rink is big enough and has the right TV set-up, they might move the competition there, if it's a closed one.

peibeck

Simply looking
I don't know what the cancellation (Bell Centre) or insurance terms are. Bell Centre might be more expensive than changing venues. Or, if the practice rink is big enough and has the right TV set-up, they might move the competition there, if it's a closed one.

Perhaps, but they would still need practice ice. There are practices happening concurrent to the competition. It seems like it would be a nightmare to change spaces at the last minute.

concorde

Exactly where will would the "better" venue? The only place I think that in Cornavirus-free in Antarctica. Now that would be neat - an outdoor ice skating World Championship in Antarctica. Not sure how people would get there and en route there would be potential exposures but the venue should be good.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Exactly where will would the "better" venue? The only place I think that in Cornavirus-free in Antarctica. Now that would be neat - an outdoor ice skating World Championship in Antarctica. Not sure how people would get there and en route there would be potential exposures but the venue should be good.

Penguins would make great sweepers or could be last minute substitutes for tux wearing ice dancers.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Jr. Worlds were just held successfully in Tallinn, if you mean allowing in crowds. I'm sure Russia could host again, also with crowds, if Putin wanted it to happen. Russian crowds might be able to sell out a venue, even if visitor visas weren't granted for international fans.

concorde

Jr. Worlds were just held successfully in Tallinn, if you mean allowing in crowds. I'm sure Russia could host again, also with crowds, if Putin wanted it to happen. Russian crowds might be able to sell out a venue, even if visitor visas weren't granted for international fans.
According to the WHO, Canada has 77 confirmed cases, Estonia has 12, and Russia has 10. Those are confirmed cases but my guess is the actual numbers are higher. My point, none of these venues are truly without risk.

My Worlds and airline tickets are purchased. My hotel had to be cancelled 30 days out to get a refund. Regardless of whether or not Worlds happens, I gonna be going to Montreal that weekend.

I did purchase and plan to used lab gloves while I am in the airport, transfering to my hotel, and in Bell Center. The purpose is less disease transfer from surfaces but more to remind me not to touch my face.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
According to the WHO, Canada has 77 confirmed cases, Estonia has 12, and Russia has 10. Those are confirmed cases but my guess is the actual numbers are higher. My point, none of these venues are truly without risk.
It's not about absolute risk: it's about what governmental authorities decide for their areas.

danibellerika

Jr. Worlds were just held successfully in Tallinn, if you mean allowing in crowds.

The event can certainly be held successfully, but the dust has barely settled on it and who knows what people either brought in or could be bringing back home with them considering the incubation period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information