Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

peibeck

Simply looking
My physical tickets came today as well, finally. Glad they charged me $6 shipping for $1.26 postage. :rolleyes:

Now if only I could hear my vacation time is approved at work. I'm flipping out more about that as I just learned the coworker in my area just got his promotion, effective 3/16. Happy for him, but....

jtpc

Still waiting for my all-event ticket package to arrive in the mail here in Canada. I've sold my all-event tickets to someone in the US so we're both hoping I receive them soon as I'd like to courier them as soon as possible. Fingers crossed!

Japanfan

I only know I'm steering clear of anyone with Pooh paraphernalia (poohphernalia?)

Impossible. We were surrounded by Pooh paraphernalia at Skate Canada - people sitting near to us had Pooh headbands, Pooh barrettes and Pooh toys, and someone sitting just a few rows down was wearing a full Pooh costume. Someone through a huge Pooh (bigger than a small pony) on the ice. Apparently the stuffie was modified from a bear to become Pooh.

On the flight home, three Chinese girls (I asked them where they were from) were having a jolly good time sharing their Pooh stuffie (manipulating his head to emulate facial expressions and so on).

Last edited:

gatorinfl

My seat probably isn’t close enough to throw Pooh stuff even if I wanted to, but I would like to hold up various flags - U.S., Canada, Japan, South Korea and maybe others. Does anyone know if these type flags, which look smaller than typical flags, will be sold at or near the Bell Centre?

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
My seat probably isn’t close enough to throw Pooh stuff even if I wanted to, but I would like to hold up various flags - U.S., Canada, Japan, South Korea and maybe others. Does anyone know if these type flags, which look smaller than typical flags, will be sold at or near the Bell Centre?
I suspect most folks would buy these at a store specifically selling flags "at home" or order them online and bring them with them. Google tells me that this store is not that far from the Bell Centre: https://montreal.flagshop.com/
I don't know if they stock "flags of the world" in the size you are interested in.

Cayuse

I suspect most folks would buy these at a store specifically selling flags "at home" or order them online and bring them with them. Google tells me that this store is not that far from the Bell Centre: https://montreal.flagshop.com/
I don't know if they stock "flags of the world" in the size you are interested in.
I've order flags from Amazon for other events. They are quite thin and easy to pack and come in a variety of sizes.

skatingguy

decently
Toys'R Us Canada is sold out of Winnie the Pooh stuff toys, but the body suits are still in stock. They might be a little small for most people.

Bookseller

I'm in section 110 and the seats appear to stop a few rows away from the ice. I hope that I'll have enough "oomph" to get my plushies out there. I have to keep things small since I'm flying to Montreal and don't want to pay for a 2nd checked bag. 😛
I have the opposite problem. We were given first row seats, but up above the mezzanine in section 224. I am, however, coming by car, so can bring a bag of stuffies. Can we collaborate?

skatingguy

decently
I didn’t get in line to meet him, but I took a picture of him glaring at me as I was going by. Better than Barbara Fusar Poli’s death glare!
I actually didn't meet him in the line up. During the short dance I was seated next to a man who owned a local art gallery, and a woman who worked for the city of London and after the short dance they asked if I wanted to go to the opening of the exhibit which was invite only, so I got to talk to him for about 20 minutes while the VIPs were looking at the art and paying their respects. :)

skatesindreams

I actually didn't meet him in the line up. During the short dance I was seated next to a man who owned a local art gallery, and a woman who worked for the city of London and after the short dance they asked if I wanted to go to the opening of the exhibit which was invite only, so I got to talk to him for about 20 minutes while the VIPs were looking at the art and paying their respects. :)
It would have meant so much to meet him; and let him know how much his skating touched my life.
It saddens me that I never had the opportunity.

concorde

Yesterday, I decided that my 15 year old daughter and I will go (Friday and Saturday). Getting 2 good tickets together was outragiously $$ so we will be in the nosebleed section.

Still waiting on the confirmation from HTG regarding our hotel reservation.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I hope that I'll have enough "oomph" to get my plushies out there. I have to keep things small since I'm flying to Montreal and don't want to pay for a 2nd checked bag. 😛
I have a suggestion that will help. Use storage bags for the stuffies, the kind where you can attach a vacuum cleaner hose to a valve and suck out all the air. This will reduce the size of your stuffies to a minimum. When you get to your hotel room, open the bag and the stuffies will return to their normal size.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I have a suggestion that will help. Use storage bags for the stuffies, the kind where you can attach a vacuum cleaner hose to a valve and suck out all the air. This will reduce the size of your stuffies to a minimum. When you get to your hotel room, open the bag and the stuffies will return to their normal size.
Actually, they’re easier to throw if you leave them in the bag, fly farther, and slide a bit when they land. I use regular ziploc bags, close them 90%, squeeze the air out, then finish closing.

Liz V

Apologies if this was already asked or discussed, but what is the best way to get from the airport to the Marriott Chateau Champlain or other hotels downtown? Is taxi the best? Montreal has Uber correct?

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Apologies if this was already asked or discussed, but what is the best way to get from the airport to the Marriott Chateau Champlain or other hotels downtown? Is taxi the best? Montreal has Uber correct?
There are also several transit options to consider depending on your preferences and how much you want to spend.

Sally1214

I got to meet him at the exhibit they had for his art during that event. It was a real pleasure, and he seemed very much in his element.

I got to meet Toller much earlier ... back when he was still skating competitively. I think it may have been 1975. I was very young at the time and aspired to be a journalist. I was writing a free-lance article about Canadian figure skating and met Toller at Ellen Burka's home (where he lived at the time). We sat at the kitchen table and he was very nice to me ... quite willing to answer any questions I asked. I also spent a couple of hours with his mother at her home in Baie d'Urfe, PQ. She was quite the character!! More than a bit eccentric and very forthcoming with any info I asked about her son's skating career. She even showed me her scrapbooks! She and Toller didn't have the closest of relationships at the time but she was very proud of him. I liked her! :)

Toller was THE reason I fell in love with figure skating. I was just amazed at how unbelievably talented he was. He was a real treasure to the sport. When I heard of his death, I cried as if I had lost someone I actually knew well (which, of course, I didn't because I had only met him that one time). But, there's no question that he really touched my life and I still miss him. :(

Sonata

You can take the 747 shuttle bus (pick the Berri UQAM one) if you don’t mind walking a bit down the street. It’s $10. It stops at several hotels on René-Levesque in a big tourist area. See shuttle map at link below.

There is indeed Uber in Montreal.

mtnskater

Any idea what an Uber might generally cost from the airport to downtown Montreal? We are staying at the Embassy Suites downtown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information