Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

skategal

Bunny mama
Isn't that how it usually goes? :D People are talking about how great Boston prices are but at the time people were calling those prices crazy and ridiculous.

At least Boston offered a low cost option (upper level) for $300 USD so people could still attend if they were happy to have a seat farther up.

You can't get in the arena for Montreal for less than $845 CD. That is ridiculous.

fsfann

Wow. Well, we were planning to attend, but won't be after seeing those prices. I expected tickets to be in the $600-$1,000 range.

Maybe they should have been having the Worlds at a "second tier" venue/city which isn't as expensive.

skatesindreams

It looks as though I could attend both SA in Vegas; and Nationals in Greensboro, for less!
Still "considering" although I really want to be in Montreal.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Wow, they restricted so many of the seats behind judges. It wasn't nearly as bad for Boston Worlds :(. To me, seems like Section 111, Row E is the best bang for the buck. $1675 CAD (about $1250 USD. Judges side, 12 rows up, with probably a great view of the Tech Panel screens.

jtpc

It's probably safe to assume that higher all-event ticket prices will also mean higher individual event ticket prices. Even if day 1 of ticket sales isn't what SC is expecting, it's not all bad for them, provided enough people decide to go for a couple of days or a weekend and end up buying individual event tickets. Since the individual event ticket route always ends up more expensive than the all-event ticket itself, if enough people buy 2 events here or 3 events there, SC could actually end up with more money than if they had sold those as all-event seats.

Last edited:

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Some Japanese fans might go, but the majority of international fans might not. The prices are ridiculous for skating fans in Europe. Many Canadian fans say they live in Canada and could not attend the events with such prices.

My commuter train literally goes to the Bell Center and I can’t afford these prices. :( :fragile: My fault for still being a grad student.

I hope there's a way to see practices and I'll try for at least one individual event. Sigh. I was somewhat prepared after being told how much London was, but it's still disappointing and I'm bummed many FSUers will have to pass. I just hope there won't be a repeat of missing Shen and Zhao in 2003...

skategal

Bunny mama
It's probably safe to assume that higher all-event ticket prices will also mean higher individual event ticket prices. Even if day 1 of ticket sales isn't what SC is expecting, it's not all bad for them, provided enough people decide to go for a couple of days or a weekend and end up buying individual event tickets. Since the individual event ticket route always ends up more expensive than the all-event ticket itself, if enough people buy 2 events here or 3 events there, SC could actually end up with more money than if they had sold those as all-event seats.

Yes. That`s why I can`t think that they won`t sell individual tickets.

I think their reluctance to confirm an individual event ticket sale is an attempt to force us into buying as many all-event tickets up front as possible.

tamms

I wonder if these expensive prices will continue to climb. Stockholm will be hosting 2021 WC and one of my worries is that it will even more expensive there.

cheremary

Does anyone know how these ticket prices compare to the ones from Helsinki, Milan, and Saitama?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think their reluctance to confirm an individual event ticket sale is an attempt to force us into buying as many all-event tickets up front as possible.

I would be surprised. My experience with Nationals in my city is that many in the LOC actually hate all-event tickets and would be happy to sell only individual tickets because it's more money and less hassle. They offer them to appease the serious fans and to get some money in the coffers farther out from the event.

BittyBug

Disgusted
My experience with Nationals in my city is that many in the LOC actually hate all-event tickets and would be happy to sell only individual tickets because it's more money and less hassle. They offer them to appease the serious fans and to get some money in the coffers farther out from the event.
Very much the opposite. All-event tickets are the foundation of a successful event. They sell far in advance to generate cash for operations leading up to the event, and they move tickets that might otherwise go unsold because individual ticket buyers rarely purchase tickets to all of the events.

What the LOC's hate are the championship weekend packages because those cannibalize all-event tickets.

Carolla5501

Unless the Asia fan base turns out in droves then they have two options.

1. Sell individual seats.
2. Lose even more money on the event.

I remember the perky San Jose team telling me that they wouldn't have to sell individual tickets because "We will sell out with all event tickets" Hmm..... wonder what those half price tickets I bought on line were LOL!

Worlds has the Asia pull so MAYBE they will sell out, but... I kind of doubt it.

peibeck

Simply looking
I know someone posted it earlier but something else to consider might be whether tax is included or not in these prices. Or if there any other "ticketing fees" or other charges.

Sales tax in Quebec is 14.975%...

Since it is not mentioned on the website with the prices and venue fee, let's pray they are included... and not yet another nasty surprise. Maybe some nice FSU-er would care to email them and find out? (I'd volunteer, but I don't think Skate Canada really wants to know what I think of their prices to start with.)

I hope they don't sell out. If they do we can expect prices like that everywhere in future.

They didn't sell out faux-London with tickets almost half the price. In fact, I think the ladies free was the only sold out event, with the men's free coming close.

Carolla5501

Figure skating management seems to think that "empty seats are going to build fan bases" Yeah, when people turn on TV and see no one there that motivates them to think this is a fun event… LOL!

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Worlds has the Asia pull so MAYBE they will sell out, but... I kind of doubt it.
Do you think so because of price levels? Boston Worlds sold out many of the events. The Asian fan turnout was definitely lower for Ice Dance and Pairs.

DobrinFan

Since it is not mentioned on the website with the prices and venue fee, let's pray they are included... and not yet another nasty surprise. Maybe some nice FSU-er would care to email them and find out? (I'd volunteer, but I don't think Skate Canada really wants to know what I think of their prices to start with.)

Someone emailed them on Goldenskate and they said taxes were included in the price.

Lilia A

I've pretty much decided I'm not going, unless I suddenly get rich in a month or so (which obviously will not happen).

I have many friends and family members who are casual fans and considered going when they found out Montreal was hosting. I thought I better not mention that the ladies and men's SP can last 4+ hours or they might change their minds. But now that they've seen the ticket prices they're out too. I'll say, if the Japanese fans decide that tickets are too pricey and either don't buy or buy the "cheap" seats, SC is in trouble.
On one hand, I don't want to see an empty arena. On the other hand, if they sell out, I can pretty much expect to never attend worlds again.

Japanfan

On one hand, I don't want to see an empty arena. On the other hand, if they sell out, I can pretty much expect to never attend worlds again.

My commuter train literally goes to the Bell Center and I can’t afford these prices. :( :fragile: My fault for still being a grad student.

I expect people will grumble, but enough will just pay up anyway. Especially given that the location is in Montreal.

Sigh. I was somewhat prepared after being told how much London was, but it's still disappointing and I'm bummed many FSUers will have to pass. I just hope there won't be a repeat of missing Shen and Zhao in 2003...

I would be thrilled if a program could exceed Shen and Zhao's 2003 Turandot, which is my favorite program of all time. I'd settle for watching it on TV. It would indeed be exciting to witness a moment like that live, but given how few skating comps I attend (the only Worlds was in Vancouver 2001), that's unlikely.

Last edited:

quartz

scratching at the light
I’ve only been to one Worlds, London 2013, two Canadians, and one Skate Canada - that’s it. U.S. events cost an extra 30% with the exchange rate, so those are out, and I’m not confident enough to travel to European events on my own, and so I am keeping to Canada.
I’m super frugal in 95% of my life and I’ve reached the age where I am determined that no matter the cost, this will be one of my splurges. The money is in the bank, even tho I am saving my change which is a fun visual to watch add up. I can take the train, which I think will be less than $300, and am fine staying in a budget hotel, (lobby-chicking is not my thing :D) - as long as I can find one that will be easy to get to the arena from - I don’t need upscale or fancy. I will eat sandwiches and soup, and I drink cheap wine anyways. :nopryde: Don’t need front row seats, but will be looking into the mid-range area.
Really want to meet as many of you fabulous FSU folk as possible and hoping more of you reconsider.

whiteskates

I am planning to attend Worlds in Stockholm in 2021 but if the prices wil be on that level, I might just as well forget all about it. So here's to hoping the Canadian prices next year wil be a one time joke!

SandraMGfan

I expect people will grumble, but enough will just pay up anyway. Especially given that the location is in Montreal.

And I am one of those. I plan my big holidays in advance always (already booked the time at work and so has my sis) - so while I’m unhappy about the prices I look to adapt and definitely try to resell the exhibition ticket to help with the cost!

And the thought of missing a trip to Canada is a terrible one!

honey

The prices are :yikes:high, but I too will suck it up and pay. Also, while my ticket will be more costly than Boston, I was able to book a much cheaper hotel this time. So overall this will end up being less money for me than Boston.

I do think they’ve likely priced themselves out of many people’s budgets though...hope this doesn’t turn into a poor attendance fiasco ala Calgary 2006. Particularly for casual fans, I can’t imagine many splurging on something this expensive if they aren’t very invested fans already.

npavel

:lol: Every Twitter comment on the Skate Canada's Worlds2020 page is :lynch: at the prices.

I also don't understand how the "venue fee" increases in price the closer you are to the ice. WTF is that about? Makes ZERO sense.
I payed less than that in Milano, got free food and a lodge during the breaks.
The hotels are selling the same room I booked a few months ago for 3 times the price.
Never heard of venue fee to pay, new invention to increase the prices?

AnnM

I'm grumbling about the prices, but will still likely attend. Traveling to Europe or Asia for events without my family isn't an option for me, so I need to take advantage of events in the US and Canada. While my ticket will be more than my ticket for Boston, I found a comparable hotel for a lot less. So I guess it almost balances out.

Madhatter

Does anyone know how these ticket prices compare to the ones from Helsinki, Milan, and Saitama?

Higher than Milan - I read that a 14th row ticket on the long side was € 950, much higher than Helsinki where this kind of ticket cost around €800 and a premium ticket was €1000, and I keep reading that much higher than Saitama although I don't have numbers.

Last edited:

Firedancer

I still plan to attend as well. Montreal is driving distance for me so I will save a lot of time and money not having to deal with flying. This will be my first worlds. I am really excited to attend and just don’t want to give it up. I hope to meet a lot of FSUers there.

pat c

Just as a comparison.......our neighbor had season's tix for the Calgary Flames. Cost? $7000 and that didn't include the playoff games.

Anyway, I'm still planning to go. Boston was the cheapest world tix I've bought and I was hoping it would be close, but oh well.

Parsley Sage

Hab's season's tickets for last season ranged from $2200 to $6200. (the $6200 seats include free concession food)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information