Montpellier 2022

mattiecat13

Perhaps a bit early, but a friend and I plan to attend 2022 Worlds in Montpellier next March (alas, we missed Montreal and Stockholm :wuzrobbed). So for those who may be familiar with the area, do you have any helpful hints on best place(s) to stay, local transportation, etc.? Is it better to stay near the arena or near the airport? We don't mind walking to the arena. My friend said there is an area called Comedy Square about 15 minutes from the arena that seems to be the city center. Any suggestions for fun/interesting things to do while we are there? It will also be my first trip to Europe so I'm really excited! Any and all suggestions welcome and thank you for your assistance.

emilieh

It has been a loooong time since I was there (almost 20 years), but I really liked Montpellier and thought the city centre was very pleasant and walkable. I am hoping that I'll also get to go next year, but the timing may not work out.

I don't know anything about where the arena is, or the airport, so I can't be helpful with those questions.

But as for things to do, both Nîmes and Avignon are very close. Nîmes has Roman ruins with a very well preserved colosseum and Avignon has the Papal Palace from the time that the popes lived there (13th or 14th century, i think). It was a walled city at the time, and you can walk up on the walls in some places. There's also a famous bridge that only goes halfway across the river. Again, it's been a long time since I've been either place, but both were charming, walkable towns. They are short rides from Montpellier by train or car.

If you rent a car, there's also the Pont du Gard between Nîmes & Avignon. Not sure if it would be accessible by train, but maybe there's a station close enough. I went by car. It's an enormous three-level Roman aqueduct and really impressive to see and hard to imagine it being built without machinery. I think you can hike up to it, but I was just there for a quick stop, so I stayed on the ground and just gawked at it.

I've also been to Carcassone, which is the other way (west) from Montpellier. It has a preserved medieval walled city. I remember it being quite touristy, with a lot of souvenir shops, but I still liked visiting. It's often been used for a filming location. I was there in the 90s for the first time, so I remember people talked about the Robin Hood movie then.

Hanna

Skating junkie
I'm under the impression that the arena is the Sud de France Arena, which is actually located in the village of Perols that's about 25 minutes by tram from Montpellier? If so, the arena is actually right next to the airport.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Last edited:

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I’d love to go back to Montpellier, maybe by then the Australian government will get its act together, vaccinate us and let us out of the country. I’m considering taking up elite level sports or diplomacy so I can get an exemption… 😭

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I found the event on the Sud de France Arena website:

this looks like it's outside the city center, and close to the airport. Not sure how transportation will be.
There's a tram. The Sud de France Arena is on Line 3.

Hanna

Skating junkie
OK I'm relieved to know my info about the arena was correct... since I actually already made an airbnb booking 2 months ago. :slinkaway :lol:

Decided that something within walking distance of the arena is probably more convenient since tram capacity vs. Worlds size crowd sounds... a little interesting. 😅

Last edited:

Ms. Princess

Tickets are on sale now https://m.ticketmaster.fr/fr/resultat/idtier/21993963?ipSearch=patinage+montpellier

The choices are an all-event, day tickets for Friday and Saturday and/or individual event tickets.

For the individual tickets you can choose your seat but from what I got, you can't choose for the all-event and day tickets and the system will just pick a seat from the category you choose? If so, I hope that gets changed.
Does anyone know how to get ticket insurance if you live outside Europe.

npavel

I'm really planing to go, have already taken days off at work. But I'm not sure I dare to buy tickets

npavel

Tickets are on sale now https://m.ticketmaster.fr/fr/resultat/idtier/21993963?ipSearch=patinage+montpellier

The choices are an all-event, day tickets for Friday and Saturday and/or individual event tickets.

For the individual tickets you can choose your seat but from what I got, you can't choose for the all-event and day tickets and the system will just pick a seat from the category you choose? If so, I hope that gets changed.
I figured out you can click on an individual event and when you see the map you can choose which ticket you want in the upper menu, you can choose there all event. But there are only one are where you can choose gold tickets in the lower level, all the others are grey, I suppose they are not relisted jet. So there is no choice for the judges' side or in front of the judges

Hanna

Skating junkie
I figured out you can click on an individual event and when you see the map you can choose which ticket you want in the upper menu, you can choose there all event. But there are only one are where you can choose gold tickets in the lower level, all the others are grey, I suppose they are not relisted jet. So there is no choice for the judges' side or in front of the judges
Have you figured out which side is the judges' side? I feel like I am either blind, stupid or it's just not mentioned anywhere. :lol:

Also, I only have the individual events in the drop down menu when going to the seat selection thing so I have no idea how you can get an all-event or day tickets to the seat you want. Or maybe people don't care and just buy randomly.

I also can't figure out if some of the sections are already sold out or if they haven't even released them for sale at this point... but I'm betting on the second.

Hanna

Skating junkie
Ok so checking out the FFSG Facebook page and the post about the tickets being on sale.... with 137 comments and most of them being complaints about the outrageous prices, unsurprisingly. :lol: Anyway, someone there said they had called and asked and apparently the F side should be the judges' side. But then someone replied that not even the organization necessarily knows at this point and they might still change their minds. 😅

Based on the things I've seen and read so far, I'll probably keep an eye on the ticket situation but won't be in a hurry to buy anything just yet.

Last edited:

mattiecat13

Found out it was impossible to get an answer through FFSG. Anyone with questions will get a response emailing with the arena in Montpellier.

wobbly

We have bought designated seats on the narrow side/end of the rink, which is where we love to sit. No gala, just competition, and in two batches because the ticketmaster website allows very little time to complete the purchase.

Panja

We have bought designated seats on the narrow side/end of the rink, which is where we love to sit. No gala, just competition, and in two batches because the ticketmaster website allows very little time to complete the purchase.
Totally off topic: I love your Daleks Avatar @wobbly !

mattiecat13

We bought our all-event tickets from the arena. We are in section G as well and are in the same seats except for the men's long.

kalle

I will most likely only attend the ladies FS and bought my ticket a few days ago directly at the ticket desk of the supermarket "Carrefour".
The prices were indeed really high so I went with a CAT2 (110Eur). I selected a seat above the judges (Block A2 row 15). I hope the display of the seatmap was fairly accurate!

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I'm thinking instead of Worlds because I have never been to France. Should I?!

I was going to go to Nationals but other stuff came up and I had to cancel my trip to London for my birthday in late January, so I was like, hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information