Need suggestions for a trip to Boston

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
A friend of mine has a work trip to Boston in early December. His work event is at the World Trade Center (I think near the Seaport). The trip also coincides with his wedding anniversary and the end to some medical treatments. So his wife is joining him on the trip for a few days for a well deserved celebration and getaway.

Only he's not at all familiar with Boston and was looking for some suggestions on restaurants or things to do in the area, or any suggestions for a fun or romantic hotel. Any suggestions on things to do for a couple that really deserves a fun and romantic weekend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

asdf334

These are my food recommendations.

Troquet - French food
http://www.troquetboston.com/

Langham Hotel Chocolate Bar - The actual quality/taste of the desserts is just average, but it's still fun to see such a wide range of desserts
http://www.langhamhotels.com/en/the-langham/boston/dining/chocolate-bar/

Neptune Oyster - good for oysters obviously, but absolute BEST fried clams. Really good lobster roll too
http://www.neptuneoyster.com/

Giacomo's - for Italian in the North End. Don't know if they've changed their policy over the years, but it used to be cash only.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...iacomo_s_Restaurant-Boston_Massachusetts.html

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Seconding the Langham chocolate buffet as well as Neptune.

All the hotels in the Seaport area are newish, so I don’t know which one I’d pick as romantic. I guess water view? I’ll do some research and see which of them have the best options for local transit. The Seaport area is tricky as a lot of the public transit is above ground... something I’m not fond of in the winter. The pricier hotels take some of that pain away by providing shuttle service to the Trade Center.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Snorkel or SCUBA suite is necessary as water level's will remind you of the days when Noah needed to take his arc, maybe it is the Lords way of punishing east coast USAmericans for lack of values!

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Thank you for the suggestions. I've relayed them to him and he's thankful. I think it's really sweet how much he wants to make this a nice weekend for his wife. Thanks for the help.

smurfy

North end for italian food and cannellis!
Museum of Fine Arts and Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum are both great.
JFK Library.
Walking tour - of freedom walk - if still going on and if not too cold.

Peaches LaTour

I grew up in the Boston area but haven't been back in years so i can't offer any up-to-date help. I loved it there.

So much history! I remember as a child going to services at Old North Church with my parents.

Do they still have Brighams ice cream, I wonder? Yum.

clairecloutier

My brother and sister-in-law occasionally go to the Top of the Hub for special occasions. It's a restaurant on top of the Prudential building, which is one of the tallest buildings in Boston. The view is pretty incredible! Lunch might be a better bet than dinner, just to best enjoy the view.

If they want to try a restaurant in the Italian North End, they could consider Mamma Maria. My husband and I went there a couple years ago and enjoyed it. It is an Italian restaurant, but classy (not red-sauce style). It's not one of the hipper or newer places in Boston, but like I said, we enjoyed it.

I'm sure there are lots of new and trendy restaurants as well, but I'm not up on any of that, as I live in the burbs. :)

If they stay near the Seaport area, they could visit the Institute of Contemporary Art.

altai_rose

Third Thursdays of the month at Isabella Stewart Gardner museum: They open the courtyard in the evening, and there's live music and food.

La Famiglia Giorgio's restaurant in the North End: family-style Italian dishes at reasonable prices

Flour bakery: I treat myself to their sticky bun or apple spice cake after my overnight ED shifts....

The Boston Aquarium is a nice indoors activity.

And yes, dress warmly!

aliceanne

The Boston Opera House is an old vaudeville theater with a spectacular interior of gilt, balconies, and red carpets. It is near Boston Common in the theater district, you could check out what is playing. I saw "Wicked" there.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
Top of the Hub is really good for special occasions, as @clairecloutier said. it's an amazing view, and the food is wonderful; I went for dinner but would definitely go back for brunch after checking out that menu - everything sounded delicious.

If you like donuts, Union Square Donuts is *always* delicious. Their main shop is in Somerville, but they also have a spot in Boston Public Market, so that should be closer to where you'll be. I personally love the vegan cinnamon sugar donut.

Boston Museum of Science is great to explore, there's so much to see and do there! I went during the summer with some friends and we only intended to spend a couple hours there...which turned into nearly seven hours. So worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information