Missing ladies at the Olympics since 1984

Marco

For 2022, please add Mai Mihara.
Kudos for what she has achieved after the Olympics.
Well she was amazing last season too and was so close to making the team, only to falter a little at Nationals where it counted the most and lost out the Olympic spot. Pretty amazing given what she had been through health wise. I am not familiar with Japanse skating politics and don't know why they didn't go with her over Mana anyway.

Having beaten Kaori twice so far this season, I am suddenly realizing she has a very legit shot at the worlds podium. I wish her nothing but the best.

coppertop1

Really? Anna, Sasha and Liza (reigning World silver medalist) would have made an equally strong team that could sweep the podium in the individuals and Anna being the reigning World Champ would probably have done as well as Kamila did placement-wise to secure that team gold for ROC.

So if Kamila's test result was already known to Russia and inevitably to the world, why would they risk their 2 gold medals being compromised in any way? My guess is they would have dumped Kamila and sent Liza in place, and ask Eteri to produce the next batch in line for next season. But now that they did send Kamila and the team gold is on the line, Russia has no choice but to defend her.
Russia could have had their sweep had Liza gone. They literally cheat themselves our of their own victories then play the victim.
Well she was amazing last season too and was so close to making the team, only to falter a little at Nationals where it counted the most and lost out the Olympic spot. Pretty amazing given what she had been through health wise. I am not familiar with Japanse skating politics and don't know why they didn't go with her over Mana anyway.

Having beaten Kaori twice so far this season, I am suddenly realizing she has a very legit shot at the worlds podium. I wish her nothing but the best.
I am hoping for Mai and Kaori to go 1-2 at Worlds, in whatever order. Mai's comeback is a much-needed remedy for the Russian factory who have dominated since 2015.

bardtoob

Really? Anna, Sasha and Liza (reigning World silver medalist) would have made an equally strong team that could sweep the podium in the individuals and Anna being the reigning World Champ would probably have done as well as Kamila did placement-wise to secure that team gold for ROC.

So if Kamila's test result was already known to Russia and inevitably to the world, why would they risk their 2 gold medals being compromised in any way? My guess is they would have dumped Kamila and sent Liza in place, and ask Eteri to produce the next batch in line for next season. But now that they did send Kamila and the team gold is on the line, Russia has no choice but to defend her.
I agree with your logic, but Russia is going to Russia and Eteri is going to Eteri.

I find the whole thing strange without an element of suppression. Euros were 3-4 weeks later and the Olympics were 7-8 weeks later. How could results not have been available prior to both competitions without suppression?

Last edited:

LeafOnTheWind

I find the whole thing strange without an element of suppression. Euros were 3-4 weeks later and the Olympics were 7-8 weeks later. How could results not have been available prior to both competitions without suppression?
Going off of memory so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. There was a covid issue somewhere in there and I think it was on the staffing side of the testing site so it caused some delay there. I believe the sample could also have been marked as urgent and wasn't.

coppertop1

Going off of memory so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. There was a covid issue somewhere in there and I think it was on the staffing side of the testing site so it caused some delay there. I believe the sample could also have been marked as urgent and wasn't.
That's what happened. Russia should have made Kamila's test results a priority but didn't.

olympic

Not necessarily an individual competitor, but something missing from the 2022 competition (all disciplines across the board) was a real audience!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There were covid-related delays in the lab due to having sick staff, but the lab was doing prioritized processing for those marked correctly as urgent, and Valieva's sample wasn't marked correctly. Non-prioritized processing revealed her results during the Olympics.

Either they didn't do parallel processing on their side so that there would be no surprises -- there's no rule against this, just that the local lab results don't count -- or they did, and they didn't detect the drugs, or they knew from their own tests and either thought that they could make the sample disappear/swap it out or that the IOC would let it slide without repercussions.

Does anyone know what the reporting process is? Why would Valieva or any athlete be allowed to compete if there weren't all clean test results from mandatory and random reporting before the Olympics or the athlete started their first segment? Does the sender get notified when the results are in along with WADA and the IOC (or body holding the international championships) ie, would Rusada have known there were no results yet for her, or would they have assumed all was well because WADA or the IOC didn't tell them they were missing or the lab wouldn't have sent them the results, too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information