Midori Ito celebrates a milestone birthday today!

Plusdinfo

What an individual Midori is. First of all, I don't know that any skater's jumping has ever excited me as much as hers- man or woman, girl or boy. When I think of it, I don't know that she ever said anything nasty nor seemed a poor sport. No bitchy glares at the judges. No eye rolls at competitors. No remarks about how she shouldn't have lost to someone. No boasting about how it was obvious she was going to win a competition. While no one is perfect and I'm not challenging people to dig up dirt on her so they can contradict me, the point is that she seemed to believe in and demonstrate fair play and a gracious gratitude for her ability to get out and skate. I don't think she came from a wealthy background, and I think she appreciated each opportunity to compete.

Hope she is well.

Last edited:

Triple loop

Wow. I can’t believe that the great Midori is 50. Time has flown. Yes, she was one of a kind and I remember how high she jumped esp. with that triple axel. Happy birthday, Midori!!

Carolla5501

What an individual Midori is. First of all, I don't know that any skater's jumping has ever excited me as much as hers- man or woman, girl or boy. When I think of it, I don't know that she ever said anything nasty nor seemed a poor sport. No bitchy glares at the judges. No eye rolls at competitors. No remarks about how she shouldn't have lost to someone. No boasting about how it was obvious she was going to win a competition. While no one is perfect and I'm not challenging people to dig up dirt on her so they can contradict me, the point is that she seemed to believe in and demonstrate fair play and a gracious gratitude for her ability to get out and skate. I don't think she came from a wealthy background, and I think she appreciated each opportunity to compete.

Hope she is well.

Remember the time she skated over to apologize and check on the camera man after she "jumped" into the camera? I think that says a lot about her. She seemed to be a generally very nice person (I am sure she had her moments, don't we all, but...)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I may never be able to watch Midori's brilliant skate to Scheherezade ever again without thinking of these two.

Brilliant work, all the same.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Haha, this thread got bumped up and caused confusion, but she turned 50 in August of 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information