Men's Diving

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I channel flipped over to the Olympic Channel the other day and happened upon men's diving.

I always enjoy watching diving and particularly enjoy men's diving, the grace, the athleticism, the outfits.

Is there any other sport where the men wear less clothing than the women? I'm always intrigued by gender based biases. I do understand that it's socially acceptable in many cultures for men to have bare chests while women cover their breasts, and that women may need support for those breasts. But if you compare men's beach volleyball to women's, or men's track to women's, or men's figure skating to women's, the difference ranges from noticeable to glaring.

As best I can tell from a quick tour of Google, men and women wear the same sorts of suits for swimming. So my question isn't are there sports where men and women wear basically the same competition clothing, but is there's another one like diving where the men wear more revealing clothing than women. And if there isn't, how did men's diving costumes evolve to what they are today?

Sylvia

TBD
Indianapolis Star article (June 4):

Copied from NBC Sports' May 27 press release (linked in the U.S. Summer Olympic Trials thread in the TV Alerts forum):

14 hours of live diving coverage, including six nights in primetime, will be presented across NBC and Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA. Live coverage begins Tuesday, June 8, at 7 p.m. ET on Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA with the women’s springboard and men’s platform semifinals from Indianapolis, Ind. Trials coverage culminates the weekend of June 12-13 with the men’s and women’s springboard and platform finals, all live on NBC, including both nights in primetime.

NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports app will present 10 hours of exclusive semifinals and preliminaries diving coverage.

The men’s team is expected to be led by four-time Olympic medalist David Boudia, who is aiming for a fourth Olympic appearance in Tokyo, and 2016 Olympic silver medalist Michael Hixon. On the women’s side, 2019 world bronze medalist Delaney Schnell as well as 2021 and 2019 world silver medalist Sarah Bacon lead a deep pool of contenders.

DateCoverageNetworkTime
Tues., June 8Semifinals – Women’s Springboard & Men’s PlatformOlympic Channel: Home of Team USA7 p.m. ET
Wed., June 9Semifinals – Men’s Springboard & Women’s PlatformOlympic Channel: Home of Team USA7 p.m. ET
Thurs, June 10Synchro Final – Women’s Synchronized SpringboardOlympic Channel: Home of Team USA7 p.m. ET
Fri., June 11Synchro Finals – Women’s Synchronized Platform & Men’s Synchronized SpringboardOlympic Channel: Home of Team USA7 p.m. ET
Sat., June 12Final – Women’s SpringboardNBC4 p.m. ET
Final – Men’s PlatformNBC8 p.m. ET/PT
Sun., June 13Final – Men’s SpringboardNBC7 p.m. ET/PT
Final – Women’s PlatformNBC9 p.m. ET/PT

Sylvia

TBD
Tonight's Diving Semifinals is also streaming on Peacock starting at 7:00pm ET (3h 30m today & tomorrow):
The Women's 3-meter Springboard Semifinal and Men's 10-meter Platform Semifinal take place at the at the Indiana University Natatorium on the campus of IUPUI in Indianapolis, part of the 2020 U.S Olympic Diving Trials.
[Wednesday's coverage:] The Men's 3-meter Springboard Semifinal and Women's 10-meter Platform Semifinal
Diving Synchronized Finals will stream on Peacock on June 10 & 11 from 7-8 pm ET.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Steele Johnson has withdrawn from the Trials :(: https://www.instagram.com/p/CP3nldaBuDw/
Excerpt:
This is hard for me to write, but I’ve unfortunately had to make the tough decision to pull out of all competition at the Olympic Trials due to my foot injury. I’ve endured 2 failed surgeries, years on and off of crutches and have pushed as hard as I physically can, but unfortunately my foot is in too much pain to continue competing at Trials.
Glad to hear Cynthia Potter's insightful commentary again (I looked up her age - she'll turn 71 after the Tokyo Olympics!).

avivadawn

I’m pretty excited that Krysta Palmer has made the team in both women’s springboard events. She started diving at age 20, and competed at the previous trials in 2016 after having dived for only four years at the time. She’s an alumna of the University of Nevada, Reno and her coach is still one of the coaches at the University. I distinctly remember her learning and practicing her dives while I was also a student there, so congrats to her.

just tuned in

I am in love with Jacob Siler. I like the beard, and while I do not usually dig tattoos, he has one of da Vinci's Vitruvian Man. He did American Sign Language to the camera. He seems like an amazing hugger and a generally joyful aura. And he is 5'5 (perfect for a shorty like me). Love.

Sylvia

TBD
Sun., June 13:
Final – Men’s Springboard NBC 7 p.m. ET/PT
Final – Women’s Platform NBC 9 p.m. ET/PT

ilovepaydays

Whoever the arena/scores announcer is needs to be recruited for more sports. He has been obnoxiously awesome. 😆

Surprised about Boudia but happy for the younger guys (Capobianco & Downs). They look so promising! 😃

Last edited:

just tuned in

Moderator, can the thread title be changed to "Diving," please?

Seeing Delaney Schnell and Katrina Young hugging as #1 and #2 in platform diving, wow, they look so much alike. I want to pair them for synchro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information