Massive 7.0 Earthquake Near Anchorage, Alaska

ilovepaydays

NBC News article
Live updates from CNN
Road damage outside Anchorage International Airport :eek:

Flipping between CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News right now. The damage looks really bad! :(

It looks like there are roads and bridges buckled everywhere! And tons of buildings damaged. But it is still very early.

I hope they keep the tsunami & aftershocks warnings in alert for awhile - I think the aftermath of the horrible 1964(?) Alaska earthquake was almost as bad as the initial quake. I think that quake was around a 9.0.

(((Those affected and their friends and families)))

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
My sister lives in Wasilla. She's OK and posted pics of the main highway into town broken in several places. No idea how this will impact them yet.

The biggest problem right now, is no power. And, it will be cold tonight.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Earthquakes are so not funny. This looks like it was totally horrid. The epicenter was only 7 miles north or Anchorage, so they were hit hard. So horribly sorry for everyone up there.
There is no warning. You are just in the middle of it.....and things are shaking so badly you may not be able to get to a safe place within your house. OH and the noise! All the things shaking out of the cupboards and crashing to the floor just adds to the horror.

BTW - an earthquake generally comes, and then there are lots of aftershocks.........which are really disconcerting.

I was in college during the Sylmar Quake in SoCal, in 1971. We lived in an apartment in the northern end of the San Fernando Valley. There were 200 aftershocks with a magnitude of 3.0 or greater.

You could hear the water in the pool swishing back and forth. It was so strong that I thought (they always say that the plates are shifting) I was going to look out my window and find San Francisco out of the window.

On a lighter side.....I had 3 room mates. After the terror of the first shake, we all rehearsed what to do (stand in a doorway, door jamb, etc) when the aftershocks came. And every time, despite our rehearsals...when everything started shaking, we would run around in a circle in the living room screaming.

ilovepaydays

Peaches LaTour

I have lived on the PRF for 38 years & lived through several earthquakes, some large (Northridge, 6.8) & many strong enough to rattle the china but not break anything.

Aftershocks are not as intense as the quake & they diminish with each event but they are still scary when your nerves are already frayed.

Northridge, 1994, was the last catastrophic earthquake to hit the U.S., prior to this one, and the PRF has been very active elsewhere so the U.S., has been very, very lucky that 24 years passed between this activity.

We had a couple of sayings about quakes when I lived in So., California:
"It's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' or "the further you are from the last big one, the closer you are to the next".

Saying prayers for the people of Anchorage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information