Mark Mitchell/Peter Johansson interview

clairecloutier

Here is an interview I did with U.S. coaches Mark Mitchell and Peter Johansson. They talk about their Mitchell Johansson Method school, their students, and current trends in the sport.

Bonita

Great article! I was a member of Skating Club of Boston for years and knew Mark and Peter. I also left because of the overcrowded ice situation. Their method is very interesting and I'd love to know what skaters are paying. Not eligible myself because I don't have any doubles and am too old, LOL.

skatfan

What a great interview. It's interesting to learn about why they left and what their school does. I now understand that it is pretty different than most top coaching situation.s

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Their method is very interesting and I'd love to know what skaters are paying. Not eligible myself because I don't have any doubles and am too old, LOL.
I was hoping the article would touch on adult skaters. I thought they coach some and wonder how they fit into the school as they definitely aren't out on the ice all day unless they are retired.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I was hoping the article would touch on adult skaters. I thought they coach some and wonder how they fit into the school as they definitely aren't out on the ice all day unless they are retired.

I was wondering about that too. Even Frank Carroll coached adults. And obviously I'm biased as an adult skater, but having adult skaters in a program can show the kids that you don't have to be an elite international-level athlete to compete and to learn new things, and to enjoy what you do.

clairecloutier

I can't say for sure, but Mark & Peter didn't mention coaching any adult skaters right now. All their references were to "the kids," i.e., the young competitors in the MJM program.

Bonita

I can't speak for now/in their new location, but Mark and Peter weren't coaching adults or even many beginner level kid skaters when I was at SCOB. And what they were charging per hour was way, way out of my price range.

Not directed at Mark and Peter but in general I've noticed some coaches aren't that into teaching us geezers, especially ones like me who don't compete and are done testing.

Carolla5501

I just keep remembering Mark announcing in a fit of anger that he was giving up coaching. Guess that didn't happen. I hope that they have learned that USFSA is going to look at the "body of work" and have their skaters prepped for the entire season not just have them peak at Nationals which was clearly their old model.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I’m sure that MJM would have preferred that Ross do better throughout the season. There’s only so much a coach can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information