Mariah bell controversy

CaliSteve

When I think of bullies, Mariah Bell is the first person who comes to mind!

I cannot imagine ANY skater deliberately colliding at World's. There really isn't a way to guarantee their own safety here. (Well, maybe like the 3rd ranked skater of a country where the top skater is a huge star? They might be getting paid off to take one for the team? :sekret:)

And was Mariah really in a run through with music? In that case, she'd absolutely have right of way. It's never the run-through skater's fault. (I can't tell from all the chatter if it was Mariah or Eunsoo in the run through.)

You mean Mariah is the last person who comes to mind.

Skittl1321

I know many here don't care for "The Skating Lesson" but they just posted a grainy video and Mariah really was doing her run through with music

https://t.co/QSamD3ff9z

Thanks for linking.

Yeah- Mariah was turning from backward, to forward, while on pattern in program, with music. It was not an intentional act. She did not "suddenly kicked and stabbed Lim’s calf with her skate blades " as ATS reported. She likely assumed that Lim would get out of her way by the time she got there, because, being in program, it's the other skater's responsibility to do so.

If Mariah did it intentionally, her coordination is pretty amazing. Impeccable timing. And the planning- to have her program set up like that this whole year!

kwanatic

It was very clearly an accident. I posted on Twitter that if you want to see more proof, go pull up her SP performance from yesterday and pay attention to the pattern she tracks for the setup to her axel. She gets very close to the boards just like in the incident video. I'm sure she saw Eunsoo and probably thought she'd cleared her (which she obviously did as they didn't collide). When she turned forward her free leg made contact. It was so quick she may not have even realized it and if she did, she can't come to a halt going full speed into a jump during a run-thru.

It was an accident that was blown way way WAY out of proportion. Now there's proof. I think ATS should be ashamed and should be held accountable for this. They have caused SO much trouble by reporting this without the facts. Mariah is being attacked very viciously for something that wasn't done on purpose...like ATS said it was.

ATS and the fans who went after Mariah with all of that hate and anger WITHOUT HAVING FACTS are horrible people.

Spun Silver

ATS and the fans who went after Mariah with all of that hate and anger WITHOUT HAVING FACTS are horrible people.
I can't go that far. But this behavior is horrible for sure.

My husband, a historian, suggested that some of the extremism of Korean fans that some people (not you, @kwanatic) have been commenting on may be rooted in the country's long history of being ruled and humiliated by larger, more powerful countries, especially China and Japan. He said historians have suggested that one reason Korea took to Christianity so powerfully in the late 19th-early 20th centuries was to distinguish itself from Japan, and he thought that sports victories (and therefore defeats, slights, etc.) might be exceptionally meaningful to many Koreans because of their deep national consciousness of humiliation, despite their current prosperity. I don't know if he's right or wrong - I'm just passing it on. Not to excuse the treatment of Mariah, but to possibly get a better understanding of the people. Korean fans are not our enemies. Perhaps Koreans here could comment.

CaliSteve

I can't go that far. But this behavior is horrible for sure.

My husband, a historian, suggested that some of the extremism of Korean fans that some people (not you, @kwanatic) have been commenting on may be rooted in the country's long history of being ruled and humiliated by larger, more powerful countries, especially China and Japan. He said historians have suggested that one reason Korea took to Christianity so powerfully in the late 19th-early 20th centuries was to distinguish itself from Japan, and he thought that sports victories (and therefore defeats, slights, etc.) might be exceptionally meaningful to many Koreans because of their deep national consciousness of humiliation, despite their current prosperity. I don't know if he's right or wrong - I'm just passing it on. Not to excuse the treatment of Mariah, but to possibly get a better understanding of the people. Korean fans are not our enemies. Perhaps Koreans here could comment.

I dont think these fans are all from Korea.

dawnie

I dont think these fans are all from Korea.

Right, if you look at the hateful comments, it's not coming from all Korean people (also, I wouldn't call the majority of the people leaving nasty messages 'fans' of skating). The generalizations and ignorant comments I've seen about Korean people as a whole is another thing I find very troubling about this entire debacle.

Last edited:

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Judging by the general behavior that is in the news about Korean fans it's not an unusual question to ask. Not all fans are like this but it seems a group of them can be, and stoking the fires with the internet is so easy these days when people can send death threats with no fear of repercussion because it's anonymous and they're cowards.

aftershocks

Banned Member
For God's sake! As much as I enjoy Eunsoo's skating, K-Fed is ridiculous for lodging an official complaint. If there are any actual tensions in the training camp, it should have been handled by the coaching staff, pronto! This heavy-handed action though and piling on by K-Fed and Eunsoo's fans and management company, I cannot see ultimately working in Eunsoo's favor, at all.

arakwafan2006

Wow!!!one things for sure, and excuse the phrase but, she’s a fighter!!! Looks like she’s been incubated from the bullshit if the last couple days. Good!

Way to go

CaliSteve

Right, if you look at the hateful comments, it's not coming from all Korean people (also, I wouldn't call the majority of the people leaving nasty messages 'fans' of skating). The generalizations and ignorant comments I've seen about Korean people as a whole is another thing I find very troubling about this entire debacle.

The reality is that people are reacting to basically fake news. This is a problem that goes way beyond figure skating.

LarrySK8

Ultimately, SWSNBN will be a star in her home country, but no where else - which was likely ATS's goal. To do that, they slandered Mariah. Shameful.

MsZem

I see the sea
Conspicuous by its absence seems to be any comment from the reigning Korean "goddess" and her parent, the CEO of the agency in question. Why is that?
You find it unusual that a retired skater who stays quiet about everything is staying quiet about something?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well, some of the uberdom may be diluted by You and Yelim Kim (who is really good). In the days of Yuna, she was the only one. Korea has a lot of young talent coming up in juniors (male and female). So, hopefully the ubers will spread themselves out a bit and not be so rabid. That being said, Eunsoo's fans singlehandedly caused the ISU to remove the comment section on the JGP YouTube feed after a vile dissection of a young Russian skater who had the audacity to defeat Eunsoo last season. The vitriol was nasty.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Too bad that SNL doesn't care enough or know enough about figure skating to do a classic, hilarious spoof of cheery smile-a-minute Mariah Bell being nastily mean and cutthroat toward poor, sweet Eunsoo Lim. :rofl:

This whole current bust-up reminds me of Hanyu's fans famously going apeshit on D-Ten, not that long ago, with videos and diagrams, and non-stop epithets hurled at Denis. It was obvious to me that Denis was simply worrying about his own physical problems and immersed in his creative headspace, without nary a thought in his head of purposely trying to get in Hanyu's way during practice sessions at 2016 Worlds.

D-Ten and Hanyu eventually had to release a picture together of them both smiling and burying the figurative hatchet, in order to somewhat calm down Hanyu-crazies (some of whom are still not appeased).

Last edited:

CaliSteve

For God's sake! As much as I enjoy Eunsoo's skating, K-Fed is ridiculous for lodging an official complaint. If there are any actual tensions in the training camp, it should have been handled by the coaching staff, pronto! This heavy-handed action though and piling on by K-Fed and Eunsoo's fans and management company, I cannot see ultimately working in Eunsoo's favor, at all.

The Japanese Fed did the same thing in 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information