Mao Asada announces her retirement from competition (share your favorite memories here!)

Miki89

Mao's retirement marks the end of an era. I have not much to add that has not already been said about this amazing skating icon. She rose above a system that undervalued her strengths and scrutinized her weaknesses, so to speak, although we all know those rules aren't applied equally to everyone. In that sense, she resembles her idol Midori Ito and Janet Lynn, two other greats whose skating weren't fully appreciated by the judging systems in which they competed.

She has a beautiful classical style of skating, yet combined it with ambitious technical content and a fearless attitude. Mao captured the essence of figure skating: beauty, grace, and courage. There will never be another like her. Thank you for the memories Mao.

My favorite performance from her:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqHSdHEQZ0

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgBGFoVMuO4&feature=youtu.be
(my rough translation of the whole press conference) I translated Mao's words and I summarized the questions so that this post will not be too long.

Mao's opening announcement: Hello everyone. I'm Mao Asada. (to the press in front of her: ) Thank you very much for gathering here in your busy time. Although I made an announcement on my home page two days ago, I announce here again. I, Mao Asada, decided to put a period to my life as a competitive skater. During my long career there were lots of ups and downs. I owe it all to numerous people who supported and rooted for me that I was able to get over those ups and downs. Today I wanted to express my gratitude to everyone and held this press conference.

Q&A
Q by Fuji TV: First of all otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired) to you. Please tell us about your feelings of right now.
Mao: When I came into this room, I was surprised to see there are so many people here. (*reportedly there were around 40 TV cameras and over 430 media people in the room). But now I'm calming down.

Q: Are there any impressive words you were given after your announcement?
Mao: Lots of people contacted me. Everyone told me "otsukaresama" (=you did great and you must be tired). It made me feel "Ah, my career is coming to an end."

Q: How did you tell people around you about your decision?
Mao: A while back I told it to my family and friends.

Q: Any impressive words from them?
Mao: They said "otsukaresama" (=you did great and you must be tired) or "I'm proud of you."

Q: From when did retirement come to your mind?
Mao: After making a comeback, things went well at first. However, as I piled up training and skated in competitions one by one, and since the current level of this sport is greatly high, thoughts like "Can I keep competitive in the current era?" got stronger gradually. Mentally and physically I felt more pains than the days prior to my comeback. I managed to finish the first season. However, in the second season it was only my strong will that made me continue going, it was like "Somehow, somehow, I'll go." That said, at Nationals, finally I felt "Probably it's about time."

Q: Three months have past since the Nationals. What did you feel during those months?
Mao: Since I had my own goal to go to PyeongChang Olys, I thought I should keep my words and reach the goal that I myself announced. It gave me conflicts in my mind all the way.

Q: You said Nationals was the turning point. When did you make the final decision?
Mao: When I saw my results at Nationals, I felt "it's over." However, as the time goes, the thought "I must keep going" got stronger, since I had kept my every word that I announced till then. It made me take time till today.

Q: Probably you had your thoughts for PyeongChang Olys. Do you mean sense of achievement overwhelmed your thoughts for Olys?
Mao: Well, I could finish the Worlds which followed Sochi Olys in a best way. That said, I felt I can do more mentally and physically. And I made a comeback. For my challenges I feel I've used up all my energy mentally and physically. When I look back my challenges, I have nothing to regret.

Q: At Nationals which became your final competition you attempted 3A. What is your impression of the Nats?
Mao: The feeling "It's gonna be my final competition" was not as strong as at the Worlds after Sochi Olys. Today I feel it was very me that I finished my final competition with 3A challenges.

Q: Do you remember the first day when you put on skating boots?
Mao: I have no memory. I was 5 years old at the time. There is a picture in which I was in a helmet, skiwear, and had protectors on my elbows and knees on the day. It's me in the picture that I recall.

Q: More than twenty years have passed since then. When was the time when you felt skating was fun the most?
Mao: There are various techniques in figure skating. When I was very little, I so much enjoyed learning those techniques one by one, like "Now I got a double jump. Then I want to do a triple!"
(awww Mao's eyes are shining. Maybe she was recalling her childhood. She was so so so cute in the days when she was a little wild monkey. Yes she was wonderfully so when she was a novice skater!)

Q: On the other hand, there must be tough time with tremendous pressures on your shoulders. What are your thoughts on those tough time?
Mao: Hmmm, I didn't feel pains. It was me who chose to go on this path. I walked on this path all the way since I liked. I don't remember I felt pains.
(aww It's very Mao. She never complains, even on her final day.)

Q: You won a silver at Vancouver Olys. Can you tell us about memories in Vancouver Olys?
Mao: At Vancouver Olys I was 19 years old. I was a teenager. I was very young and truly strong-willed. Now I feel my strong will was the only thing that made me get over the difficulties.

Q: Four years later at Sochi Olys you gave greatly moving moments to our nation. What do you feel when you look back Sochi Olys?
Mao: The result in SP was regretful. It was a tough competition mentally. And in FS I could close the competition with my best performance. I could put every my thought of the four years, from Vancouver to Sochi, into the four minutes.

Q: What do you think of those experiences in the two Olympics?
Mao: For my future life they must be good experiences and memories too.

Q: You won three titles of Worlds. It's the biggest number among all Japanese skaters. Which competition or a thing was the most impressive?
Mao: Two of the three were the titles which I won at Worlds following each Olympics. I think I could take back the frustrations of each Olympics in those two Worlds. In my mind, among the three Worlds, I could put everything of my whole career into my performances at the Worlds where I won my last title since I went out there with thinking "This is my final Worlds." So the Worlds after Sochi was the most impressive one.

Q: Can you pick up one performance as the most impressive one throughout your whole career?
Mao: hmmm.. It's a difficult question. My career was very long. hmmm.. If you say one, I'll pick FS in Sochi Olys after all.

Q: After all, that performance which you put all of your thoughts of your career into was the most profound one, right?
Mao: More than ever before, I was depressed and it was a truly tough time. The best thing of that performance was it was such a redemption and also it was done at the stage of Olympics.

Q: Maybe you told about your retirement to Coach Yamada. What kind of thoughts do you have about her?
Mao: I learned under Machiko-sensei (=Coach Machiko (Yamada)) when I was little. She taught me it's fun to challenge. Besides, she told me various things out of this sport too.

Q: How about Coach Sato?
Mao: I learned under Coach Sato after I grew up. I'm a type who is so strong-willed. I talked with him about various things many times. He was a coach who listened to my opinions patiently and watched over me calmly.

Q: What's the meaning of these two seasons after the comeback to you?
Mao: If I finished my life as a competitive skater at the point of the Worlds after Sochi Olys, I think I was still wondering if I could have done more. I made a comeback since I wanted. And I got results by doing my challenges. Now I have nothing left undone. In the meaning I'm happy that I could do another challenge.

Q: People's attentions are on what will you do from now. Do you have any plan to do in your future?
Mao: THE ICE, the ice show, is coming very soon in this summer. I can skate there for the first time after finishing my life as a competitive skater. I'll do my best to show good performances.

Q: What kind of way will you be involved in figure skating?
Mao: I started skating when I was five years old. Figure skating has been helpful for me all the way since then. So I want to give back to this sport no matter what the way will be.

Q: So specific plans will be made from now?
Mao: Yes.

Q: Now the skaters are growing up who started skating inspired by your performances. Can you cheer up the figure skating world of Japan?
Mao: Like other older skaters who already retired, and now I'm retiring, I think I cay say I was one of the skaters who lead this sport. Today lots of young skaters are up coming. I wish they'll lead this sport with their young power from now on.

Q: Looking back, what was figure skating to you?
Mao: hmmm.. it's difficult to answer. In a word it's my life after all.

Q: Now you announced your retirement. Looking back your career, what is the point that you can praise yourself for?
Mao: I'm a type who is easy to get tired soon. On the other hand, when I'm addicted to something, I get into it up. But basically I'm a type who is easy to tired of something very soon. So I think I'll say to myself "You could continue skating from age of 5 to 26. It's a looong time. Well done!"

Q: Looking back your career, what kind of life was yours?
Mao: Skating has been in the center of everything in my life. Skating is truly my life.

Q: Please tell a message to your fans.
Mao: (awwww Mao's tearing up.) Numerous people supported me. Good times and bad times, for a long time, people didn't give up and kept rooting for me. It encouraged me a lot and gave me power. I truly feel gratitude. Thank you very much for everything.

Q by other media than Fuji TV
Q by Nihon TV: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired). You drank water just before. Are you nervous now?
Mao: (smiling) Atmosphere is very heated. I've already talked a lot. So I was thirsty.

Q: Probably you had a certain image of retirement prior to today. Is your actual retirement the same as you imagined or not?
Mao: Before I made an announcement, it hadn't felt real yet. However, today talking with looking back my whole career, it's sinking in. I'm gradually feeling I'm actually retiring.

Q: Here today you still miss competitions or you feel relieved or you feel refreshed?
Mao: I feel radiant.

Q: Your life will go without putting on skating boots from now. You can stay in a warm place away from rinks unlike until now. What do you think?
Mao: I stayed away from rinks from January until today. That said, an ice show is coming in July. So I'm gonna start skating again.

Q: My final question. Do you have anything left behind or anything regretful?
Mao: I considered a lot before I decided. During the process I never thought of anything left behind in my career. It shows I did all out.

Q by TV Asahi: First of all I want to tell otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired) and arigato gozaimashita (=thank you very much) to you. You are in white jacket today. Are there any reason why you are in white for this conference?
Mao: I wondered which would be suitable for today, this white one or a black suit. In my feelings I'm truly radiant. So I'm in this white one here now.

Q: Yes, I get an impression you're refreshed today. In the past we often heard the word "No-miss (=clean program)" from you during interviews. Why you focused on delivering a perfect program so much?
Mao: Since I don't want to make a mistake after all. Everyone works very hard during preparations for a competition. So I think no one wants to make a mistake. I was not a type who was strong in competitions. In a meaning I dared to say the word for firing me up.

Q: What was 3A to you?
Mao: I've worked all the way aiming at doing a 3A like Midori Ito's. On one hand I was really happy when I made my first 3A. On the other hand I struggled with the jump a lot.

Q: You started skating at the age of five. What word do you tell to yourself, if you could meet yourself at the age of five?
Mao: hmmm.. A difficult question. Well, I'll say ganbatte (=do your best)!

Q: With what kind of thoughts?
Mao: I've been supported by numerous people and it made me feel really happy. I had tough times as well, though. So I'll cheer up myself of that time.

Q by Asahi broadsheet: Scenes with kids were very impressive to me. Can you tell a message from your experiences to kids of all over the world?
Mao: I really really loved figure skating since I was very little. I just loved skating and it made me keep skating. To kids who's gonna start skating or who's already skating, probably I'll say "Don't forget your love for skating."

Q: (can't hear the question)
Mao: I love kids very much. I did skating lessons for kids in the past. If I'll have a chance, I'd love to do it again.

Q by NHK: Asada-san, otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired.) Just before you said 3A was your strong point as well as you struggled with it so much. If you tell a message to 3A, what will it be?
Mao: lol Difficult to answer! hmmm.. Maybe "Why on the earth you didn't let me nail you more easily?" or the like. lol

Q: What supported you to continue skating so long?
Mao: One of them is I had my own goals. And the other is I got supports from lots of people.

Q by Kyodo News: At this past Worlds, Japan's spots for Olympics decreased from three to two. Did it play any role in the process of your decision?
Mao: I've been wondering all the way whether I can allow myself or not if I give up my goal of going to PyeongChang Olys. It was February when I had a discussion and made my final decision. So Worlds didn't have anything to do with it. After all it's up to me. This is the way how I decided. As for the spots, I'm sorry that Japan got only two. However, at the same time I expect it'll be a very high level competition where lots of skaters fight for the two.

Q: How did you spend the time between February when you made the final decision and today in April?
Mao: I used the time to get my feelings sorted and also for various preparations.

Q by TBS, TV company: Thank you very much for numbers of touching moments. Can you tell who pushed your back in making your decision?
Mao: I consulted my family, close friends or other people around me. They gave me various advice. However, it's me who made the decision after all. In the process I went on trips or visited places where I could not visit before. During the trips or visits I had various considerations. And I came to the conclusion eventually. (*As far as I know she visited Sri Lanka for Ayurveda and also visited Okinawa with Kanako.)

Q: You mean the decision was made inside of yourself?

Q: It must be very tough to continue competing for so long. Can you tell any impressive word given from someone or any word you cherish?
Mao: I was given lots of warm words from so many people. And I'm here today with truly radiant feelings. I'll go forward from now on with cherishing the word "gratitude" in my mind.

Q by Nikkei broadsheet: You came up in the beginning of 21st century. Today figure skating became very popular with lots of ice shows in Japan. And Japan is a powerhouse in the world. Do you think your presence gave power for bringing a figure skating boom to this country? Do you have any plan to support for Japan's today's status to continue as it is?
Mao: When I was little, there were lots of top skaters including Midori Ito. Inspired by watching them, I've worked hard all the way aiming at becoming a skater like them. After making a debut in Jr or Sr fields, I saw everyone was very strong and attractive. Everyone pushed each other by inspiring each other. And thanks to lots of supportive media and fans figure skating became a sport which draws such a big attention from people. Hence, I wish skaters to come will push each other by inspiring each other.

Q by nico-nico video site: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired) and thank you very much. I wont to ask about the legendary performance in Sochi Olys. From the point of SP how did you manage to lead yourself to the magnificent FS performance which reached everyone's heart all aver the world. Can you tell what was the turning point?
Mao: After finishing SP I thought "I can't go back home with this." I had pains in my mind. In the morning of FS I hadn't left things behind. And I finished morning practice wondering "Am I OK with going like this?" FS was coming, I did make-ups, I did warming-ups on the floor, and it was the time when I went out of the gate at the rink, I saw the house being awesome, and eventually a thought came to my mind "Just gotta do it!"

Q: What about your feelings when you finished your performance? You showed a big smile.
Mao: I was looking up when I finished my program. I felt "Ah, it's over." At the same time a feeling "Thank goodness!" came up. And then tears welled up in my eyes. As I shed bitter tears in Vancouver Olys too, I thought "Oh no, I'm crying again," and I tried my best to turn my tears into a smile.

Q by World Figure Skate ,a figure skating magazine: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired). In a meaning this is your graduation ceremony from a competitive life today. At the same time it's a ceremony for a new start. Now it's the season in Japan when there are lots of new workers as well. You are heading into a different world from the one you lived in so far. Do you have anything you're worrying about?
Mao: This is a new startline to me too. Nevertheless, I'm having nothing to worry about. There's nothing to do but I go on my path with looking straight forward. With having new experiences, I wish I'll keep going forward cheerfully with smiles. (She said so with a smile haha)

Q: Just before Plushenko announced his retirement too. Do you have any thoughts?
Mao: He's just retired too. He was the skater who competed longer than me. He was the skater who left really many records and drew really many people into this sport. So I want to say "otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired)" to him from bottom of my heart.

Q by Fuji TV: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired). Thank you very much. You always kept looking forward. It was impressive. In the meaning do you have any thoughts that you cherish?
Mao: From the time when I was very little, I always had my goals, that was something that I wanted to do. I had my everyday's goals too. I tried hard all the way to reach my goals with strong will.

Q: Finishing your career, you have more free time than before. What do you want to do the most?
Mao: In January, February, and March I could have free time to enjoy travels and delicious foods.

Q by Akahata, party organ of Japanese Communist Party: You told the importance of pushing each other. You competed with Yuna Kim. Do you have any thoughts for her?
Mao: We competed together in Jr and Sr fields from the age of around 15-16. I think we gave boost to figure skating world by competing together with inspiring each other.

Q by NHK: You said you felt "Maybe it's almost time" at your final Japan Nats. What kind of thoughts did you have for the Nats? Also, "Maybe it's almost time" for what?
Mao: I don't have any specific feelings for each competition. I always aimed at "no-miss (=clean)" programs. What I always wished was to deliver a perfect program and to skate with good self-confidence. I had the same feelings in my final Nats too. Talking about my feelings after finishing the competition, since it was not a perfect program nor my best performance of my whole career, probably I felt frustrations. And then, I sat in the K'C, and saw my scores and placements. It was the time when I felt "Yes, maybe it's almost time."

Q: "It's almost time" for what?
Mao: I skated in Japan Nats every year from twelve years old. I finished this Nats with the most disappointing results. The results was one of the biggest events that played a role in the process of my decision.

Q: If you can go back to yourself of the past. Which yourself you'll go back and what advice will you give to yourself?
Mao: hmmm.. It's a long time of 26 years. hahaha Difficult to answer. I think it never happens that I'll actually go back to the past. So no idea comes to my mind in this moment.

Q by TV Tokyo: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired) for your 21 years of career. It was your word "I want to continue competing util PyeongChang Olys" that made you have conflicts in your mind in the process of the decision. Now what kind of feelings for the Olys do you have?
Mao: Only one year is left before PyeonChang Olys. Probably skaters are living their lives with various thoughts for the Olys. So I want to cheer them up!

Q: What kind of stages were Olympics to you?
Mao: hmm... hmm.. (awww Mao is tearing up) Olympics are the stages which come once every four years. As a competitive skater I've worked aiming at the stage of Olympics since I was little. I'm glad I could appear on the stages and won a medal there. Olympics are truly wonderful stages.

Q: If you were reborn, what would you like to be? Do you want to be a skater again, or?
Mao: I've skated utill 26 years old. Nothing is left undone. I have nothing to regret. If I live another life, I'll not go on the path of skating.

Q: Do you have any idea? What will you be?
Mao: I have various ideas. I love eating. I wonder if I could have had a cake shop, cafe, restaurant or the like.

Q by Bunkahoso, a radio company: You said you have a policy that you’ll accomplish what you said. Who gave the policy to you?
Mao: I think it's from my mother. And I have such a nature. I'm a very stubborn type. I'm not so in my daily life. However, once I decided something by myself, I'm stubborn about it.

Q: Do you remember the first experience that you accomplished something you said?
Mao: The experience I can recall clearly is the one which I had when I was little. There's annual national scouting camp called "Nobeyama camp" in Nagano. I went there with my goal in my mind to nail a 3A during the camp. That was my first ever 3A I nailed. It comes first in my memory in this regard.

Q: Can I take it as the starting line of a wonderful athlete "Mao Asada" of today?
Mao: It was the time I learned "Reaching a goal makes me so happy and it pushes my back for another challenge!"

Q by a freelance journalist: Do you have any plan of a marriage?
Mao: hahahaha Do I have any plan of a marriage? No. hahahaha If I had a partner, I could have left here for home together with the person. hahaha

Q by Central News of Taiwan: Is it possible that you'll get married with a Taiwanese like Ai-chan (Fukuhara, a table tennis player who won a silver and a bronze in Olympic team events) did? Or, you've stayed in cold rinks, do you have any plan to visit warm places for a relaxed time such as in Taiwan?
Mao: Ai-chan is one of my friends. If there is a nice guy in Taiwan, I wish she'll lead me to meeting the person. I've had one place I want to visit. It's Taiwan. I'll ask Ai-chan to guide me around in Taiwan.

Q by Figure Skating Life, a skating magazine: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired). You'll skate as a pro-skater in ice shows including your own show THE ICE from now. What kind of skates do you want to show as a pro-skater?
Mao: THE ICE is the first show to come. I haven't made any programs yet but I'll make an exhibition number. I wish I'll put everything of my whole career into the exhibition program.

Closing greeting from Mao: (to the press people) Everyone, thank you very much for gathering. (awww she's tearing up again) These two days I've been given lots of warm words. Thanks to warm messages I could finally reach this day with radiant feelings. (awww she's now choked up...then turned her back to the press people for wiping her tears... and now she turned to the press people and showed a smile with tears in her eyes) I'll not forget experiences I had in my life as a competitive skater. From now I'll find new goals and go forward with smiles. (she's tearing up when she said "smiles." "Smiles" must be an important word to her for sure.) (aww.. she choked up and turned her back to people once again to hide her tears. In a minutes she looked calming down and turned to the press.) Everyone, thank you very much for your every supports you gave to me.

My favorite part of this conference was Mao's reaction when she was asked what kind of advice she'll give to herself if she can go back to herself of the past. She always focus on the future and never a type who insists on saying if if if if. She said that it never happens, hence no idea comes to her mind. During the answer her reaction was very natural. lol It's very Mao!

When I finished my translation, the hit numbers of this video was 569,007. It's quite a big number. Hope my rough translation will help non-Japanese speaking people to understand points of her words. Sorry for a belated update.

kwanatic

@rosewood THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :cheer2: It's so difficult not being able to understand anything that's going on. Thank you so much for the translation.

I'm glad to know this was something Mao really mulled over and thought about. What makes me even happier is the fact that she has no regrets about bowing out at this time. It is time and I'm glad she was able to walk away with her head held high.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
@rosewood THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :cheer2: It's so difficult not being able to understand anything that's going on. Thank you so much for the translation.

I'm glad to know this was something Mao really mulled over and thought about. What makes me even happier is the fact that she has no regrets about bowing out at this time. It is time and I'm glad she was able to walk away with her head held high.
It's not only you. Last week there were lots of special TV programs dedicated to her retirement. Mao's videos were on Japanese TV all day long for 3-4 days. It made me feel once again she's such a big star and a nation's darling. After the press conference I heard lots of voices which said they were relieved to see Mao was radiant and refreshed in the conference. What made people feel Mao's such a brave person once again was that she was straight honest about her feelings in the process of the decision.

Seems Mao's conference reminded lots of Japanese people of a retirement press conference of yokozuna (sumo wrestler) Chiyonofuji who's career was very long too and he was one of the greats who drew one of the biggest boom in the history of Japanese sumo.
https://youtu.be/c-YGSwue8hE?t=499
This press conference drew people's attention at the time too. He also struggled in the end of his career with many injuries. He said "Thank you very much for everyone's supports during my long career. It's gonna be a mediocre retirement. (he choked up) I've reached my physical limit. I used up all my mental energy. I came to the conclusion of retirement." His words showed how an great athlete push themselves to the limit physically and mentally. Also his timing and Mao's timing of retirement were both impressive. There would be two types of athletes. One type is the one who wants to retire on their highest note. And the other one is the one who wants to continue until they themselves actually feel they can't do more. Maybe the former one is more popular, however, the latter one can be staying in people's mind as the one who loved the sport to the hell. I'm not saying which is right. Both are right and both are great. In the end of the long story of a skater named Mao, we saw Mao was the latter one.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

@rosewood dear, thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I have not seen many interviews with Mao and it is very precious to hear her own words about this turning point in her life, and how she looks back on her career. Her grace of spirit and character, and her charm, are so apparent. Now I understand her mix of smiles and tears better.

There seemed to be a very special relationship between Mao and the media -- more like friends than the wolfpack, "gotcha" atmosphere you often see surrounding celebrities in the US. They seemed gentle and encouraging with her, and she seemed candid and comfortable with them.

Even after reading this I am not quite on board with this retirement. :( I just wish someone at the press conference had asked her if she had exhausted all possible medical treatments for her knee. There are so many medical miracles - why not one for Mao? :( But if Mao feels "radiant" and looks forward to her future with smiles, who am I to grumble? :)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
@rosewood dear, thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I have not seen many interviews with Mao and it is very precious to hear her own words about this turning point in her life, and how she looks back on her career. Her grace of spirit and character, and her charm, are so apparent. Now I understand her mix of smiles and tears better.

There seemed to be a very special relationship between Mao and the media -- more like friends than the wolfpack, "gotcha" atmosphere you often see surrounding celebrities in the US. They seemed gentle and encouraging with her, and she seemed candid and comfortable with them.

Even after reading this I am not quite on board with this retirement. :( I just wish someone at the press conference had asked her if she had exhausted all possible medical treatments for her knee. There are so many medical miracles - why not one for Mao? :( But if Mao feels "radiant" and looks forward to her future with smiles, who am I to grumble? :)
I agree the questions were a bit boring and we could have asked better questions instead. :D

Among lots of special TV programs I saw some good ones which are worthy to be posted here. I may do video translations if time allows. There was a documentary type one which showed how she worked during her final season too.

Since it's Mao, I think she and her team did everything for recovering from the knee injury. She's been well known for good maintenance of her body & tools and often compared to Ichiro of MLB. I don't see she didn't consult doctors for recovering from the injury. Probably she and her team did their best and yet it turned out to be impossible when she/they considered her age and the time before next Olys etc.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Thank you so much rosewood!!!. I love that she seems feel complete with her career. And the "Why on the earth you didn't let me nail you more easily?" was so funny :rofl:.
I loved her answer she could have had a cake shop or cafe or restaurant since she loves eating if she lived another life. It's very Mao. She must have had a shop of walnut sweets.:D

Unexpected answer was she's a type who is easy to get tired of things! Who on the earth imagined this answer from Mao Aada? :eek:

floskate

Vacant
Rosewood that is so much work right there in that translation. Thank you so much for going to all that trouble. I haven't watched all of the press conference but perhaps now I will using your translation as my guide. I did see the end when she cried and it brought more than a tear to my eye.

Her entrance to that press conference is really quite remarkable to watch. How is she even remotely calm in the middle of that maelstrom of flash bulbs. The entire nations press all crammed into one room!! It is a measure of just how famous and beloved she is in Japan. I hope the nation continues to cherish, support and protect her as she moves forward.

How about Mao as a celebrity chef? I could totally see her having some amazing foodie show on Japanese TV!!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Rosewood that is so much work right there in that translation. Thank you so much for going to all that trouble. I haven't watched all of the press conference but perhaps now I will using your translation as my guide. I did see the end when she cried and it brought more than a tear to my eye.

Her entrance to that press conference is really quite remarkable to watch. How is she even remotely calm in the middle of that maelstrom of flash bulbs. The entire nations press all crammed into one room!! It is a measure of just how famous and beloved she is in Japan. I hope the nation continues to cherish, support and protect her as she moves forward.

How about Mao as a celebrity chef? I could totally see her having some amazing foodie show on Japanese TV!!
See how many cameras there were. :scream: This article says there were around 50 TV cameras, 100 still cameras and 430 journalists, and it was one of the largest press conference for an athlete's retirement. Who other than Mao the phenomenon Asada can draw this big attention for an athlete's retirement? :eek:

I don't feel Japanese media are always friendly to Mao, and probably it's people who love Mao. If she'll work in show biz too, I wish she'll start her new life with smaller business. I mean, other than her own ice show THE ICE, I wish she'll start from rather radio shows that she did during her one year break too than TV shows, and she'll have enough time to do voice training or the like.

Here is a photo of a cake which Mao made for Mai. Mao in a foodie show may not be just a dreamy idea. :)
https://twitter.com/asadamai717/status/843777040004272130

Last edited:

kwanatic

That's what I was thinking too! They have shows on Food Network where the host tours different cities (and even countries) and tries the local cuisine or popular food hangouts. I bet that would be a fun project for her to do. Also, if she wanted to open a cafe or bakery I'm sure the businesses in Japan would love to sponsor/partner with her.

That's the great thing about Mao. No matter what she chooses to do, she's going to be okay. It's rare that an athlete in this sport can retire and not really have to worry about where their next paycheck will come from. Mao's success in the sport coupled with her status in Japan sets her up to do just about anything she wants. The people still love her and will support her so it's almost like the sky is the limit.

I'm excited to see what she does next...but I hope she takes a good long vacation first!

tamms

Thank you @rosewood for your translations and always providing valuable information on Mao. :)

Some of my favorite parts (I have many but that would make for a very long post):

“Everyone pushed each other by inspiring each other. And thanks to lots of supportive media and fans figure skating became a sport which draws such a big attention from people. Hence, I wish skaters to come will push each other by inspiring each other.”

Says the figure skater who has inspired and pushed so many young skaters to aim higher. I wonder if Mao knows how influential she is?

"It was the time I learned "Reaching a goal makes me so happy and it pushes my back for another challenge!"

Lots of respect for her in this regard.

“Ai-chan is one of my friends. If there is a nice guy in Taiwan, I wish she'll lead me to meeting the person. I've had one place I want to visit. It's Taiwan. I'll ask Ai-chan to guide me around in Taiwan."

I love that they brought up Ai Fukuhara, who is also one of my favorite Japanese athletes. Mao was 5 when she started skating, Ai was 3 when she started table tennis. Both grew up being in the center of the media’s attention. So glad to hear that they are friends! Ai-chan and her husband make an adorable couple so I hope Mao can find her match as well. I’m glad she also wants to visit Taiwan! I can imagine her strolling through the various night markets and eating lots of food.

Spun Silver

@rosewood, can you provide a link to Mao's own Instagram account? It is hard to tell fan accounts from personal accounts without knowing Japanese. I wont know what she is talking about but I would enjoy the pix.

Ever since that black Mao/white Mao commercial for the cold medicine company, I have wanted Mao to make a superhero/action movie. Now she has time!

chapis

@rosewood, can you provide a link to Mao's own Instagram account? It is hard to tell fan accounts from personal accounts without knowing Japanese. I wont know what she is talking about but I would enjoy the pix.

Ever since that black Mao/white Mao commercial for the cold medicine company, I have wanted Mao to make a superhero/action movie. Now she has time!

https://www.instagram.com/mao19900925/ but it is private

This account is of her friend, there are some pictures with Mao https://www.instagram.com/aya_katy/ Not that I'm a stalker :shuffle::sekret::p

Last edited:

Ultra

I refuse to believe Mao has become lame for life.
Unless a sports doctor recommended retirement, for a condition that is irreversibly permanent, in a fair system she would resume competing eventually.
(In a competent system, she might have avoided injury entirely.)

kittysk8ts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgBGFoVMuO4&feature=youtu.be
(my rough translation of the whole press conference) I translated Mao's words and I summarized the questions so that this post will not be too long.

Mao's opening announcement: Hello everyone. I'm Mao Asada. (to the press in front of her: ) Thank you very much for gathering here in your busy time. Although I made an announcement on my home page two days ago, I announce here again. I, Mao Asada, decided to put a period to my life as a competitive skater. During my long career there were lots of ups and downs. I owe it all to numerous people who supported and rooted for me that I was able to get over those ups and downs. Today I wanted to express my gratitude to everyone and held this press conference.

Q&A
Q by Fuji TV: First of all otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired) to you. Please tell us about your feelings of right now.
Mao: When I came into this room, I was surprised to see there are so many people here. (*reportedly there were around 40 TV cameras and over 430 media people in the room). But now I'm calming down.

Q: Are there any impressive words you were given after your announcement?
Mao: Lots of people contacted me. Everyone told me "otsukaresama" (=you did great and you must be tired). It made me feel "Ah, my career is coming to an end."

Q: How did you tell people around you about your decision?
Mao: A while back I told it to my family and friends.

Q: Any impressive words from them?
Mao: They said "otsukaresama" (=you did great and you must be tired) or "I'm proud of you."

Q: From when did retirement come to your mind?
Mao: After making a comeback, things went well at first. However, as I piled up training and skated in competitions one by one, and since the current level of this sport is greatly high, thoughts like "Can I keep competitive in the current era?" got stronger gradually. Mentally and physically I felt more pains than the days prior to my comeback. I managed to finish the first season. However, in the second season it was only my strong will that made me continue going, it was like "Somehow, somehow, I'll go." That said, at Nationals, finally I felt "Probably it's about time."

Q: Three months have past since the Nationals. What did you feel during those months?
Mao: Since I had my own goal to go to PyeongChang Olys, I thought I should keep my words and reach the goal that I myself announced. It gave me conflicts in my mind all the way.

Q: You said Nationals was the turning point. When did you make the final decision?
Mao: When I saw my results at Nationals, I felt "it's over." However, as the time goes, the thought "I must keep going" got stronger, since I had kept my every word that I announced till then. It made me take time till today.

Q: Probably you had your thoughts for PyeongChang Olys. Do you mean sense of achievement overwhelmed your thoughts for Olys?
Mao: Well, I could finish the Worlds which followed Sochi Olys in a best way. That said, I felt I can do more mentally and physically. And I made a comeback. For my challenges I feel I've used up all my energy mentally and physically. When I look back my challenges, I have nothing to regret.

Q: At Nationals which became your final competition you attempted 3A. What is your impression of the Nats?
Mao: The feeling "It's gonna be my final competition" was not as strong as at the Worlds after Sochi Olys. Today I feel it was very me that I finished my final competition with 3A challenges.

Q: Do you remember the first day when you put on skating boots?
Mao: I have no memory. I was 5 years old at the time. There is a picture in which I was in a helmet, skiwear, and had protectors on my elbows and knees on the day. It's me in the picture that I recall.

Q: More than twenty years have passed since then. When was the time when you felt skating was fun the most?
Mao: There are various techniques in figure skating. When I was very little, I so much enjoyed learning those techniques one by one, like "Now I got a double jump. Then I want to do a triple!"
(awww Mao's eyes are shining. Maybe she was recalling her childhood. She was so so so cute in the days when she was a little wild monkey. Yes she was wonderfully so when she was a novice skater!)

Q: On the other hand, there must be tough time with tremendous pressures on your shoulders. What are your thoughts on those tough time?
Mao: Hmmm, I didn't feel pains. It was me who chose to go on this path. I walked on this path all the way since I liked. I don't remember I felt pains.
(aww It's very Mao. She never complains, even on her final day.)

Q: You won a silver at Vancouver Olys. Can you tell us about memories in Vancouver Olys?
Mao: At Vancouver Olys I was 19 years old. I was a teenager. I was very young and truly strong-willed. Now I feel my strong will was the only thing that made me get over the difficulties.

Q: Four years later at Sochi Olys you gave greatly moving moments to our nation. What do you feel when you look back Sochi Olys?
Mao: The result in SP was regretful. It was a tough competition mentally. And in FS I could close the competition with my best performance. I could put every my thought of the four years, from Vancouver to Sochi, into the four minutes.

Q: What do you think of those experiences in the two Olympics?
Mao: For my future life they must be good experiences and memories too.

Q: You won three titles of Worlds. It's the biggest number among all Japanese skaters. Which competition or a thing was the most impressive?
Mao: Two of the three were the titles which I won at Worlds following each Olympics. I think I could take back the frustrations of each Olympics in those two Worlds. In my mind, among the three Worlds, I could put everything of my whole career into my performances at the Worlds where I won my last title since I went out there with thinking "This is my final Worlds." So the Worlds after Sochi was the most impressive one.

Q: Can you pick up one performance as the most impressive one throughout your whole career?
Mao: hmmm.. It's a difficult question. My career was very long. hmmm.. If you say one, I'll pick FS in Sochi Olys after all.

Q: After all, that performance which you put all of your thoughts of your career into was the most profound one, right?
Mao: More than ever before, I was depressed and it was a truly tough time. The best thing of that performance was it was such a redemption and also it was done at the stage of Olympics.

Q: Maybe you told about your retirement to Coach Yamada. What kind of thoughts do you have about her?
Mao: I learned under Machiko-sensei (=Coach Machiko (Yamada)) when I was little. She taught me it's fun to challenge. Besides, she told me various things out of this sport too.

Q: How about Coach Sato?
Mao: I learned under Coach Sato after I grew up. I'm a type who is so strong-willed. I talked with him about various things many times. He was a coach who listened to my opinions patiently and watched over me calmly.

Q: What's the meaning of these two seasons after the comeback to you?
Mao: If I finished my life as a competitive skater at the point of the Worlds after Sochi Olys, I think I was still wondering if I could have done more. I made a comeback since I wanted. And I got results by doing my challenges. Now I have nothing left undone. In the meaning I'm happy that I could do another challenge.

Q: People's attentions are on what will you do from now. Do you have any plan to do in your future?
Mao: THE ICE, the ice show, is coming very soon in this summer. I can skate there for the first time after finishing my life as a competitive skater. I'll do my best to show good performances.

Q: What kind of way will you be involved in figure skating?
Mao: I started skating when I was five years old. Figure skating has been helpful for me all the way since then. So I want to give back to this sport no matter what the way will be.

Q: So specific plans will be made from now?

Q: Now the skaters are growing up who started skating inspired by your performances. Can you cheer up the figure skating world of Japan?
Mao: Like other older skaters who already retired, and now I'm retiring, I think I cay say I was one of the skaters who lead this sport. Today lots of young skaters are up coming. I wish they'll lead this sport with their young power from now on.

Q: Looking back, what was figure skating to you?
Mao: hmmm.. it's difficult to answer. In a word it's my life after all.

Q: Now you announced your retirement. Looking back your career, what is the point that you can praise yourself for?
Mao: I'm a type who is easy to get tired soon. On the other hand, when I'm addicted to something, I get into it up. But basically I'm a type who is easy to tired of something very soon. So I think I'll say to myself "You could continue skating from age of 5 to 26. It's a looong time. Well done!"

Q: Looking back your career, what kind of life was yours?
Mao: Skating has been in the center of everything in my life. Skating is truly my life.

Q: Please tell a message to your fans.
Mao: (awwww Mao's tearing up.) Numerous people supported me. Good times and bad times, for a long time, people didn't give up and kept rooting for me. It encouraged me a lot and gave me power. I truly feel gratitude. Thank you very much for everything.

Q by other media than Fuji TV
Q by Nihon TV: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired). You drank water just before. Are you nervous now?
Mao: (smiling) Atmosphere is very heated. I've already talked a lot. So I was thirsty.

Q: Probably you had a certain image of retirement prior to today. Is your actual retirement the same as you imagined or not?
Mao: Before I made an announcement, it hadn't felt real yet. However, today talking with looking back my whole career, it's sinking in. I'm gradually feeling I'm actually retiring.

Q: Here today you still miss competitions or you feel relieved or you feel refreshed?
Mao: I feel radiant.

Q: Your life will go without putting on skating boots from now. You can stay in a warm place away from rinks unlike until now. What do you think?
Mao: I stayed away from rinks from January until today. That said, an ice show is coming in July. So I'm gonna start skating again.

Q: My final question. Do you have anything left behind or anything regretful?
Mao: I considered a lot before I decided. During the process I never thought of anything left behind in my career. It shows I did all out.

Q by TV Asahi: First of all I want to tell otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired) and arigato gozaimashita (=thank you very much) to you. You are in white jacket today. Are there any reason why you are in white for this conference?
Mao: I wondered which would be suitable for today, this white one or a black suit. In my feelings I'm truly radiant. So I'm in this white one here now.

Q: Yes, I get an impression you're refreshed today. In the past we often heard the word "No-miss (=clean program)" from you during interviews. Why you focused on delivering a perfect program so much?
Mao: Since I don't want to make a mistake after all. Everyone works very hard during preparations for a competition. So I think no one wants to make a mistake. I was not a type who was strong in competitions. In a meaning I dared to say the word for firing me up.

Q: What was 3A to you?
Mao: I've worked all the way aiming at doing a 3A like Midori Ito's. On one hand I was really happy when I made my first 3A. On the other hand I struggled with the jump a lot.

Q: You started skating at the age of five. What word do you tell to yourself, if you could meet yourself at the age of five?
Mao: hmmm.. A difficult question. Well, I'll say ganbatte (=do your best)!

Q: With what kind of thoughts?
Mao: I've been supported by numerous people and it made me feel really happy. I had tough times as well, though. So I'll cheer up myself of that time.

Q by Asahi broadsheet: Scenes with kids were very impressive to me. Can you tell a message from your experiences to kids of all over the world?
Mao: I really really loved figure skating since I was very little. I just loved skating and it made me keep skating. To kids who's gonna start skating or who's already skating, probably I'll say "Don't forget your love for skating."

Q: (can't hear the question)
Mao: I love kids very much. I did skating lessons for kids in the past. If I'll have a chance, I'd love to do it again.

Q by NHK: Asada-san, otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired.) Just before you said 3A was your strong point as well as you struggled with it so much. If you tell a message to 3A, what will it be?
Mao: lol Difficult to answer! hmmm.. Maybe "Why on the earth you didn't let me nail you more easily?" or the like. lol

Q: What supported you to continue skating so long?
Mao: One of them is I had my own goals. And the other is I got supports from lots of people.

Q by Kyodo News: At this past Worlds, Japan's spots for Olympics decreased from three to two. Did it play any role in the process of your decision?
Mao: I've been wondering all the way whether I can allow myself or not if I give up my goal of going to PyeongChang Olys. It was February when I had a discussion and made my final decision. So Worlds didn't have anything to do with it. After all it's up to me. This is the way how I decided. As for the spots, I'm sorry that Japan got only two. However, at the same time I expect it'll be a very high level competition where lots of skaters fight for the two.

Q: How did you spend the time between February when you made the final decision and today in April?
Mao: I used the time to get my feelings sorted and also for various preparations.

Q by TBS, TV company: Thank you very much for numbers of touching moments. Can you tell who pushed your back in making your decision?
Mao: I consulted my family, close friends or other people around me. They gave me various advice. However, it's me who made the decision after all. In the process I went on trips or visited places where I could not visit before. During the trips or visits I had various considerations. And I came to the conclusion eventually. (*As far as I know she visited Sri Lanka for Ayurveda and also visited Okinawa with Kanako.)

Q: You mean the decision was made inside of yourself?

Q: It must be very tough to continue competing for so long. Can you tell any impressive word given from someone or any word you cherish?
Mao: I was given lots of warm words from so many people. And I'm here today with truly radiant feelings. I'll go forward from now on with cherishing the word "gratitude" in my mind.

Q by Nikkei broadsheet: You came up in the beginning of 21st century. Today figure skating became very popular with lots of ice shows in Japan. And Japan is a powerhouse in the world. Do you think your presence gave power for bringing a figure skating boom to this country? Do you have any plan to support for Japan's today's status to continue as it is?
Mao: When I was little, there were lots of top skaters including Midori Ito. Inspired by watching them, I've worked hard all the way aiming at becoming a skater like them. After making a debut in Jr or Sr fields, I saw everyone was very strong and attractive. Everyone pushed each other by inspiring each other. And thanks to lots of supportive media and fans figure skating became a sport which draws such a big attention from people. Hence, I wish skaters to come will push each other by inspiring each other.

Q by nico-nico video site: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired) and thank you very much. I wont to ask about the legendary performance in Sochi Olys. From the point of SP how did you manage to lead yourself to the magnificent FS performance which reached everyone's heart all aver the world. Can you tell what was the turning point?
Mao: After finishing SP I thought "I can't go back home with this." I had pains in my mind. In the morning of FS I hadn't left things behind. And I finished morning practice wondering "Am I OK with going like this?" FS was coming, I did make-ups, I did warming-ups on the floor, and it was the time when I went out of the gate at the rink, I saw the house being awesome, and eventually a thought came to my mind "Just gotta do it!"

Q: What about your feelings when you finished your performance? You showed a big smile.
Mao: I was looking up when I finished my program. I felt "Ah, it's over." At the same time a feeling "Thank goodness!" came up. And then tears welled up in my eyes. As I shed bitter tears in Vancouver Olys too, I thought "Oh no, I'm crying again," and I tried my best to turn my tears into a smile.

Q by World Figure Skate ,a figure skating magazine: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired). In a meaning this is your graduation ceremony from a competitive life today. At the same time it's a ceremony for a new start. Now it's the season in Japan when there are lots of new workers as well. You are heading into a different world from the one you lived in so far. Do you have anything you're worrying about?
Mao: This is a new startline to me too. Nevertheless, I'm having nothing to worry about. There's nothing to do but I go on my path with looking straight forward. With having new experiences, I wish I'll keep going forward cheerfully with smiles. (She said so with a smile haha)

Q: Just before Plushenko announced his retirement too. Do you have any thoughts?
Mao: He's just retired too. He was the skater who competed longer than me. He was the skater who left really many records and drew really many people into this sport. So I want to say "otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired)" to him from bottom of my heart.

Q by Fuji TV: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired). Thank you very much. You always kept looking forward. It was impressive. In the meaning do you have any thoughts that you cherish?
Mao: From the time when I was very little, I always had my goals, that was something that I wanted to do. I had my everyday's goals too. I tried hard all the way to reach my goals with strong will.

Q: Finishing your career, you have more free time than before. What do you want to do the most?
Mao: In January, February, and March I could have free time to enjoy travels and delicious foods.

Q by Akahata, party organ of Japanese Communist Party: You told the importance of pushing each other. You competed with Yuna Kim. Do you have any thoughts for her?
Mao: We competed together in Jr and Sr fields from the age of around 15-16. I think we gave boost to figure skating world by competing together with inspiring each other.

Q by NHK: You said you felt "Maybe it's almost time" at your final Japan Nats. What kind of thoughts did you have for the Nats? Also, "Maybe it's almost time" for what?
Mao: I don't have any specific feelings for each competition. I always aimed at "no-miss (=clean)" programs. What I always wished was to deliver a perfect program and to skate with good self-confidence. I had the same feelings in my final Nats too. Talking about my feelings after finishing the competition, since it was not a perfect program nor my best performance of my whole career, probably I felt frustrations. And then, I sat in the K'C, and saw my scores and placements. It was the time when I felt "Yes, maybe it's almost time."

Q: "It's almost time" for what?
Mao: I skated in Japan Nats every year from twelve years old. I finished this Nats with the most disappointing results. The results was one of the biggest events that played a role in the process of my decision.

Q: If you can go back to yourself of the past. Which yourself you'll go back and what advice will you give to yourself?
Mao: hmmm.. It's a long time of 26 years. hahaha Difficult to answer. I think it never happens that I'll actually go back to the past. So no idea comes to my mind in this moment.

Q by TV Tokyo: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired) for your 21 years of career. It was your word "I want to continue competing util PyeongChang Olys" that made you have conflicts in your mind in the process of the decision. Now what kind of feelings for the Olys do you have?
Mao: Only one year is left before PyeonChang Olys. Probably skaters are living their lives with various thoughts for the Olys. So I want to cheer them up!

Q: What kind of stages were Olympics to you?
Mao: hmm... hmm.. (awww Mao is tearing up) Olympics are the stages which come once every four years. As a competitive skater I've worked aiming at the stage of Olympics since I was little. I'm glad I could appear on the stages and won a medal there. Olympics are truly wonderful stages.

Q: If you were reborn, what would you like to be? Do you want to be a skater again, or?
Mao: I've skated utill 26 years old. Nothing is left undone. I have nothing to regret. If I live another life, I'll not go on the path of skating.

Q: Do you have any idea? What will you be?
Mao: I have various ideas. I love eating. I wonder if I could have had a cake shop, cafe, restaurant or the like.

Q by Bunkahoso, a radio company: You said you have a policy that you’ll accomplish what you said. Who gave the policy to you?
Mao: I think it's from my mother. And I have such a nature. I'm a very stubborn type. I'm not so in my daily life. However, once I decided something by myself, I'm stubborn about it.

Q: Do you remember the first experience that you accomplished something you said?
Mao: The experience I can recall clearly is the one which I had when I was little. There's annual national scouting camp called "Nobeyama camp" in Nagano. I went there with my goal in my mind to nail a 3A during the camp. That was my first ever 3A I nailed. It comes first in my memory in this regard.

Q: Can I take it as the starting line of a wonderful athlete "Mao Asada" of today?
Mao: It was the time I learned "Reaching a goal makes me so happy and it pushes my back for another challenge!"

Q by a freelance journalist: Do you have any plan of a marriage?
Mao: hahahaha Do I have any plan of a marriage? No. hahahaha If I had a partner, I could have left here for home together with the person. hahaha

Q by Central News of Taiwan: Is it possible that you'll get married with a Taiwanese like Ai-chan (Fukuhara, a table tennis player who won a silver and a bronze in Olympic team events) did? Or, you've stayed in cold rinks, do you have any plan to visit warm places for a relaxed time such as in Taiwan?
Mao: Ai-chan is one of my friends. If there is a nice guy in Taiwan, I wish she'll lead me to meeting the person. I've had one place I want to visit. It's Taiwan. I'll ask Ai-chan to guide me around in Taiwan.

Q by Figure Skating Life, a skating magazine: Otsukaresamadeshita (=you did great and you must be tired). You'll skate as a pro-skater in ice shows including your own show THE ICE from now. What kind of skates do you want to show as a pro-skater?
Mao: THE ICE is the first show to come. I haven't made any programs yet but I'll make an exhibition number. I wish I'll put everything of my whole career into the exhibition program.

Closing greeting from Mao: (to the press people) Everyone, thank you very much for gathering. (awww she's tearing up again) These two days I've been given lots of warm words. Thanks to warm messages I could finally reach this day with radiant feelings. (awww she's now choked up...then turned her back to the press people for wiping her tears... and now she turned to the press people and showed a smile with tears in her eyes) I'll not forget experiences I had in my life as a competitive skater. From now I'll find new goals and go forward with smiles. (she's tearing up when she said "smiles." "Smiles" must be an important word to her for sure.) (aww.. she choked up and turned her back to people once again to hide her tears. In a minutes she looked calming down and turned to the press.) Everyone, thank you very much for your every supports you gave to me.

My favorite part of this conference was Mao's reaction when she was asked what kind of advice she'll give to herself if she can go back to herself of the past. She always focus on the future and never a type who insists on saying if if if if. She said that it never happens, hence no idea comes to her mind. During the answer her reaction was very natural. lol It's very Mao!

When I finished my translation, the hit numbers of this video was 569,007. It's quite a big number. Hope my rough translation will help non-Japanese speaking people to understand points of her words. Sorry for a belated update.

Wow, I cried several times during this. Thank you so very much for the translation. Her legacy will last generations. A very special skater, artist and human, indeed.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I want to post a few more updates.

It's nice to see all of her 9 sponsor companies immediately announced they continue supporting her.
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170421-01811014-nksports-spo

I read somewhere that one of the companies said they continue working with her since "She retired from competitions but it doesn't mean she quit being Mao Asada." I love this comment. One of her sponsor companies Japan Air Lines aired a special version of her commercial. It has a message "Thank you Mao for lots of moving moments" in the end of it. (here) The original version was launched when she made a comeback. The narration said "Her journey is starting again." Loved JAL's sense.

After the retirement press conference, Mao appeared at a PR event of her new sponsor company. It was her 10th company. She became a brand ambassador of the company's natural water from Mt. Fuji. It was a bit surprising to me. Since I heard from my friend who works at a big company that many big companies have been waiting in a long line to be her sponsor company. So I wondered why she picked up this rather small company. Before long I found she's already worked with the company in order to build a new ice rink "Mao rink" for a few years. I'm not sure it will be practical or not but I wish her long time dream will come true. Building an ice rink has been her dream since she was little.
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170427-00000062-tospoweb-spo
「今、考えているのは自分の『真央リンク』をオープンさせたいなと思っています」

The plan of Mao-rink was a good news, and there's a concerning news too. Mao said she's not sure whether she'll continue skating after finishing THE ICE 2017 or not. She's just retired so it might mean she can't announce any specific plan yet, or I wonder if her physical condition is worse than we think, or she'll more focus on building a rink than skating in ice shows, or whatever. There's not any concrete info at this point. We'll see sooner or later...maybe around THE ICE (in the end of July and the beginning of August).
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20170427/k10010963761000.html
ゴールデンウイーク明けに滑り始めて、7月と8月にショーがあるので、それに向けて練習する。その後も滑り続けるかは、ショーが終わってみないとわからない。将来的には、スケート場『真央リンク』をオープンさせたいなと思っています

ETA:
Her new commercial of the natural water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCHb4A7TTU
PR event which was her first appearance in public after the retirement press conference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUXi5HQwzIQ

Last edited:

clairecloutier

The plan of Mao-rink was a good news, and there's a concerning news too. Mao said she's not sure whether she'll continue skating after finishing THE ICE 2017 or not. She's just retired so it might mean she can't announce any specific plan yet, or I wonder if her physical condition is worse than we think, or she'll more focus on building a rink than skating in ice shows, or whatever. There's not any concrete info at this point. We'll see sooner or later...maybe around THE ICE (in the end of July and the beginning of August).
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20170427/k10010963761000.html

:(:( I hope Mao is able to continue professional skating for at least a couple years!! I can't picture the skating world without her. :) Then again, she has given us so much already ....

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
:(:( I hope Mao is able to continue professional skating for at least a couple years!! I can't picture the skating world without her. :) Then again, she has given us so much already ....
I kind of think Mao was a seed. She may continue giving more to us. However, even if she will not, it's up to us that we'll grow what she gave to us, inside of ourselves as a person or this sport as a whole. Hopefully she'll continue skating in shows not only in Japan but also outside of Japan. I badly want to see Mao skating in Stephane's Ice Legends again!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information