Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Lorac

So Serena's QF against Pliskova is in two hours. I sooooo want her to get to 24 (I'd also love it if she then takes either FO, W, or USO.) Just get this hurdle over with Serena!!!!

We've got to wait a while longer for Serena's 24th GS. 5-1 up in the final set and 4 match points and she loses 7-5. 🤥She did seem to turn her ankle on the first MP but didn't call the trainer and claimed it did not hinder her. Kudos to Pliskova though she went for it and hit line after line in clawing her way to victory.

Lorac

Congratulations to Naomi Osaka in winning her 2nd consecutive GS :cheer2:. At least this time she could enjoy the win and the trophy presentation. I did think Osaka had choked at 5-3 40-0 up on Petra Kvitová's serve in the 2nd set and then proceeded to lose the set 7-5. But she regrouped and broke early in the 3rd set and hung on. Though I would have been just as pleased if Kvitová had won as her comeback has been nothing short of miraculous. And Naomi is now the new world #1 from being 72 in the world a year ago :respec:.

Fiero425

Congratulations to Naomi Osaka in winning her 2nd consecutive GS :cheer2:. At least this time she could enjoy the win and the trophy presentation. I did think Osaka had choked at 5-3 40-0 up on Petra Kvitová's serve in the 2nd set and then proceeded to lose the set 7-5. But she regrouped and broke early in the 3rd set and hung on. Though I would have been just as pleased if Kvitová had won as her comeback has been nothing short of miraculous. And Naomi is now the new world #1 from being 72 in the world a year ago :respec:.

Kvitová's no slouch and I commend her return after being cut and assaulted in that home invasion 2 years ago! :rolleyes:

becca

You have to be impressed with Osakas consistency
Kvitová's no slouch and I commend her return after being cut and assaulted in that home invasion 2 years ago! :rolleyes:

Both players are great! Still though Naomi what a champion she has the right mindset and is so likeable.

Her coach says she is a very hard worker and determined not one to rest on laurels clearly.

Fiero425

I just watched the final game of Andreescu-Kerber at Indian Wells. Proud Canadian tennis fan today :respec:

I was quite entertained and was looking forward to new blood winning as I continue to hope for on the men's side! It just doesn't seem to happen much; if at all! Fedalovic have dominated like no other TRIO in the history of the game! They're converging on or holding just about every significant record with little stopping them since they took over the tour 10+ years ago! Federer leads in majors with 20 was the oldest (@36/37) to hold the #1 ranking last season! Nadal owns the French Open, leads in wins at Masters events, but just can't seem to stay on top for very long due his body breaking down! Djokovic has mopped everything else up running in 3rd place, has owned Fedal the last several years, and has been the steadiest of the 3 taking multiple majors after an extended absence due to injury last year! He has time to make his own records within in the next few years! Hope Thiem can break thru and win today over Federer! I'm so tired of the old guy hanging on and having Next-Gen. players donate matches to him! :rolleyes: :duh: :shuffle:

eusebius

I was quite entertained and was looking forward to new blood winning as I continue to hope for on the men's side! It just doesn't seem to happen much; if at all! Fedalovic have dominated like no other TRIO in the history of the game! They're converging on or holding just about every significant record with little stopping them since they took over the tour 10+ years ago! Federer leads in majors with 20 was the oldest (@36/37) to hold the #1 ranking last season! Nadal owns the French Open, leads in wins at Masters events, but just can't seem to stay on top for very long due his body breaking down! Djokovic has mopped everything else up running in 3rd place, has owned Fedal the last several years, and has been the steadiest of the 3 taking multiple majors after an extended absence due to injury last year! He has time to make his own records within in the next few years! Hope Thiem can break thru and win today over Federer! I'm so tired of the old guy hanging on and having Next-Gen. players donate matches to him! :rolleyes: :duh: :shuffle:
Well Thiem is playing very well... it’s a close one at least!

elka_sk8

Haven’t been able to watch very much but looking forward to the women’s final- Ash Barty has been steadily moving up the rankings and it was only a matter of time before she made a major final. I think she has the edge IF she can hold her nerves. I like what I’ve seen of Marketa Vondrousova so far too- both have a lot of variety so hopefully it will be a good match!

Rather routine win by Nadal over Federer. Other men’s semi currently underway.....:watch:

D

Deleted member 40371

Nadal wins his 12th French open title, simple amazing...Knowing Nadal's superstitions, is he comfortable winning a 13th ?

aftershocks

Banned Member
The Great Nadal! :cheer2: His 12th French Open title -- an astounding record. He's now hit, skidded, ran, and clawed his way to 18 majors, two shy of the Great Federer's record. But Nadal says running after trying to break Federer's record is not what gets him up in the morning. I think what gets Nadal up is his work ethic, love for his family, his passion for playing the game and his desire to try and win every point! :D

I could never have fathomed that after Nadal's career Grand Slam in 2010, he and Federer would still be playing at the top of their games 9 years later! :eek: :watch:

Just a few years ago, many observers thought Nadal's tennis career was kaput due to his string of injuries and losses. Wow, what a strong will Nadal has, coupled with his talent and hard work. Invincible!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Feliciano Lopez wins both singles & doubles (with Andy Murray in his latest comeback after hip surgery) titles at Queens Club! https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jun/23/andy-murray-queens-doubles-tennis
Hilarious Feliciano Lopez Speech & Trophy Lift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9Ojn26xW0

French Open champion Ashieigh Barty will be the new #1 after winning in Birmingham today! Her story: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-why-ash-barty-almost-gave-up-tennis-for-good
The last Australian woman to reach the No. 1 ranking was Evonne Goolagong in 1976 although it only came to light 31 years later after the discovery of an error in the records. Like Goolagong, Barty is proud of her indigenous Australian heritage, with her father having Ngarigo ancestry through one of his grandmothers.
Source: https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/27036714/barty-new-world-no-1-birmingham-win

Russian-born American Sofia (Sonya) Kenin, 20, wins her second WTA title in Mallorca: http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2019...a-kenin-mallorca-final-wta-grass-event/82797/

Oh and Roger Federer won his 10th grass title in Halle, Germany (highlights vs. David Goffin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxep0vvKsT4

Lorac

Feliciano Lopez wins both singles & doubles (with Andy Murray in his latest comeback after hip surgery) titles at Queens Club! https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jun/23/andy-murray-queens-doubles-tennis
Hilarious Feliciano Lopez Speech & Trophy Lift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9Ojn26xW0
Oh and Roger Federer won his 10th grass title in Halle, Germany (highlights vs. David Goffin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxep0vvKsT4

I just spent a happy couple of days watching Feliciano winning :). Because of the heavy rain mid week he basically played his singles match followed by his doubles match the past 3 days - in fact last night he won his singles semi, finished his quarters doubles match which was halted by bad light on Friday then stayed on court whilst the semi opponents came out which he and Andy won on the champions tie-break in the 3rd set!! And both matches today went the distance!! And he was only in the singles competition because the organisers awarded him a WC due to him winning the title 2 years ago. He was due to play the Wimbledon qualifiers later this week due to him being out of the worlds top 100 but Wimbledon awarded him a WC on Friday to the main draw and he has gone up to somewhere in the 50's. Oh and he is one beautiful man :swoon:

And no surprise to see Roger winning at Halle again - so 2 37 year olds win tourneys on grass!!

Lorac

Well Wimbledon is well into the first week and I have a new favourite player - a 15 year old American Coco Gauff who was given a WC into the qualifying event - won 3 matches in straight sets and has now beaten 2 players in the main draw in straight sets - the first being Venus Williams and the second being a Wimbledon semi finalist in 2017!!!! She is just awesome and has a level of maturity that is way beyond her years!!!

Fiero425

Well Wimbledon is well into the first week and I have a new favourite player - a 15 year old American Coco Gauff who was given a WC into the qualifying event - won 3 matches in straight sets and has now beaten 2 players in the main draw in straight sets - the first being Venus Williams and the second being a Wimbledon semi finalist in 2017!!!! She is just awesome and has a level of maturity that is way beyond her years!!!

Very impressive! Just hope they don't overplay her like some in the past like Tracy Austin, Andrea Jaeger, and the most egregious case of child abuse, Jennifer Capriati! I may have to start watching the ladies again! :rolleyes: :cheer: :shuffle:

Lorac

Very impressive! Just hope they don't overplay her like some in the past like Tracy Austin, Andrea Jaeger, and the most egregious case of child abuse, Jennifer Capriati! I may have to start watching the ladies again! :rolleyes: :cheer: :shuffle:

Apparently there are now rules in place that limit the amount of tournaments Coco can enter each year until she is 18 - 6 or 7 at most. And it was because of the ladies you mentioned - especially Andrea Jaeger and Jennifer Capriati - that these rules were put into place. Interestingly Tracey Austin - who does commentary for the BBC coverage - feels these rules need to be loosened now we have seen just how good Coco is. However as she is only 15 she probably has some growing on a physical level to do and that could mess with her game.

ETA: I may be wrong on the actual number of tournaments she can enter each year but it has definitely been limited by WTA rules.

Last edited:

Lorac

I believe the limit is 10 tournaments per year.

Yes - I just checked and it is 10 tournaments between birthdays - that is where I got the lower number from as she has already had 3 events - including Wimbledon - since her 15th birthday in March so has 7 left until March next year.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Ash Barty is the new superstar here. Everyone adores her. (I think most people are just so sick of Tomic and Kyrgios' antics that she's a breath of fresh air.) Gauff got a few stories here for being only fifteen, but for the most part, the Australian sports press are fixated on the idea that the "Barty Party" may continue with the Wimbledon title.

I'm up for more Barty Party!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Ash Barty is the new superstar here. Everyone adores her. (I think most people are just so sick of Tomic and Kyrgios' antics that she's a breath of fresh air.) Gauff got a few stories here for being only fifteen, but for the most part, the Australian sports press are fixated on the idea that the "Barty Party" may continue with the Wimbledon title.

I'm up for more Barty Party!

The Barty Party is over. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information