Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

PeterG

Just watched The Whale tonight. It was SOOOOO much better than I expected!! Whoever created the movie trailer should not be allowed to do that job anymore. And the publicity people did an awful job promoting this movie. Every clip I saw on a talk show made me want to avoid this movie. Plus Brendan Fraser's overwrought, breathless talk-show appearances almost turned me off to this movie. Luckily I decided to watch it as an Oscar nominee because I loved it. Such an original and wonderfully overwhelming story. Kudos to screenwriter Samuel D. Hunter and director Darren Aronofsky for working on this project for ten years until they finally got the story and the production to where they wanted it to be. A complete success.

I went yesterday to see "The Whale". Very well-done, a bit disturbing and dark, with excellent acting all around. I get the kudos for Brenden Fraser, I can't imagine anyone topping his performance in this for the Academy Award. He really was immersed in the character, and the character was both sympathetic and frustrating. The actress who played the daughter was also very good, as well as the friend. It kind of is a story about addiction, although his addiction is food, because he's using it to numb his emotions. A bit of a challenging movie to get through.

I agree that the entire cast were phenomenal. Ty Simpkins as the Christian missionary and Samantha Morton as Charlie's ex-wife deserve to be mentioned as well. Hong Chau as Charlie's friend/caretaker was so strong, I think she deserved the Oscar over Jamie Lee Curtis. But then I think all the nominees in that category deserved the Oscar over Curtis, who won as a sentimental favourite and as a career acheivement award. Curtis was good in Everything, Everywhere...but just wasn't as good as everybody else in her category. JMHO.

Finally watched The Whale on dvd. It was really tough to watch. I am guessing it would be even tougher in a theater. The acting was great, but I can't really say that I liked the movie. It was well made.The side story of the young man Thomas was interesting. The relationship with the daughter was developed well.

At the end it was nice to see the positive, though it was not what I had hoped for.

It is possible that I don't enjoy movies based on plays, although in this case the stage to screen conversion was done really well. I can't place a finger on what bothered me about it. That's odd.

I may give it 7/10, though it was not a movie I really enjoyed.

I agree that it was a tough movie to watch, but an important one to watch. I found it very entertaining, with more characters a part of the story than I realized. And not everyone appearing to be what they seem. And how everyone interacted as truths came to light. Such a well-written movie!

watchthis!!

This movie mentioned by @Seerek in another thread has been getting a lot of attention on Canadian news programs recently:

Blackberry doesn't take itself that seriously and has all prototype characters you'd expect from the "capitalism tragedy" sub-genre, but seeing the audaciousness and blind ambition of Glenn Howerton contrasted with the internally conflicted, unwavering idealism of Jay Baruchel is (for most of it) a good watch.

Lots of subtle 90s/00s nuggets for those who pay close attention

Blackberry has good cast, including Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride), Saul Rubinek, Martin Donovan (Big Little Lies, Weeds) and Michael Ironside, the type of actor who once you see...you know you're getting a bad guy!

Cachoo

Prime now lists Three Thousand Years of Longing and though there is plenty of action I know now if there is ever a play that features only Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba as the only cast members I'm all in. Elba is the proverbial genie (or djinn in this case) who Swinton releases and what follows are stories that seem both familiar and new in the retelling while Swinton's character has to decide on her own wishes. I thought this beautiful storytelling.

PeterG

Watched Babylon the other day. I thought it was a brilliant mess. As if director Damien Chazelle had been studying Baz Luhrmann's recent output and thought, "I can do that"! Babylon is a great looking movie and lots happens. But the characters are all a mess, so for three hours you just watch tragedy after tragedy occur. So overall, this is quite a downer of a movie, no matter how much frenetic energy was put into it.

Saw Babylon this past weekend - meh

But the two reasons to see it are (1) the musical score, and (2) Margot Robbie. I've never wanted to get up and dance to 20s Jazz as much as I did listening to the music here -

IF you want to see something regarding decadence, the 20s, and 'Babylon', watch the German show 'Babylon Berlin'.

Robbie is always great. Diego Calva as Manny is a fantastic discovery, I expect a bright future for him. Doesn't hurt that he is really easy on the eyes! :swoon: Jean Smart deserved more screen time, but she made the most of what she had. Her final scene with Brad Pitt was fantastic. Li Jun Li as Lady Fay deserves a mention for her perfromance. Tobey Maguire was pretty good in his icky role. I've never thought he was much of an actor, but this is perhaps his best acting ever??

Has anyone else seen Babylon yet?

I saw it on the weekend. Not sure what to think of it. There were parts I really liked such as the music. But not sure if it had to be 3 hours. I always like Margot Robbie and Brad Pitt. But it did appear as if Margot was kind of channelling a bit of Harley Quinn.

I agree about the length of the movie. I watched it in three sittings. And perhaps your watching the whole thing at once made it seem longer than it actually was, what with it being such a downer of a movie.

Yeah, I thought there were pieces of the film that worked really well and some parts I found incredibly off-putting. Also, while there were certainly a lot of talented actors in the film, I really couldn't connect with any of the characters so I didn't feel invested in it. I was kind of watching at a distance the whole way through.

Smart move to protect yourself! :lol: This wasn't the type of movie to invite you in and enjoy yourself. You just sat back, somewhat in horror, and watched everybody spiral out of control. :(

manhn

I am a big fan of Tobey. His best performance is in Brothers with Gyllenhaal and Portman.

PeterG

I looooooved Empire Of Light. Such a fantastic movie. Olivia Colman is brilliant as usual. Shame that the movie only got one Oscar nomination (for cinematography). Wikipedia lists that this movie got a lot of award nominations, but won only one: best director for Sam Mendes at the Toronto Film Festival. As for Colman, I think her performance was better than Michelle Yeoh’s (it hurts to say that as I’ve loved Yeoh for quite a while) and also better than Michelle Williams in The Fabelmans. (And no, I am not prejudiced against actresses named Michelle.) :D And lastly, Micheal Ward as Stephen Murray is a great new addition to the world of film.

Trailer for Empire Of Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JA3bD5xs-Q

manhn

I finally watched Kicking and Screaming, Noah Baumbach’s directorial debut about four male graduates who don’t know what to do with their lives. I quite liked it, released in 1995, I was only a few years younger than those characters and that ennui I still feel. The film is very much of its time (it is soooooo white) and man, there are some so many now recognizable characters. Josh Hamilton as the lead is soooo dreamy.

PeterG

My top six favourite things about Women Talking:
  • Rooney Mara arguably gives the best performance of her career
  • The story is so different from what we usually see in the world of movies
  • Sheila McCarthy, a Canadian treasure, gets to be seen by the world and excels brilliantly in her performance
  • While I’m unsure about how I feel about the ending, it topples what movies are supposed to do in their final act..onto it’s HEAD!
  • And everybody else in the cast…so much talent! Claire Foy, Jessie Buckley, Judith Ivey and Ben Whishaw
  • Frances McDormand and Brad Pitt using their Hollywood clout to produce such an original work

Sorry to double post, my last day off from work so I went to see "Women Talking" today. Really beautifully done movie, and you don't know for sure what's going to happen at the end until you actually get there. The movie is very gentle and calm, slow-paced, but just wonderful.

I was quite anxious about how the movie would end. So both good writing and directing at play here (both by Sarah Polley). I agree with your final thoughts about the movie. But at the same time, there are moments which are quite intense and fiery. And some moments there are quick vocal rages and disagreements which jolt you into paying attention, demanding you pay attention to every word that's being spoken.

Watched 'Women talking'. It was really good. Turns out it was based on a book that was based on a true story (Or real life events). I am glad that Sarah Polley won the Oscar for adapted screenplay.

I'm also happy for her win with this movie. She was also nominated fifteen years ago for Away From Her (which starred Julie Christie, Gordon Pinsent and Olympia Dukakis). I hope she is acknowledged for her directing more in the future. Women Talking is her fourth movie where she is both director and writer. I have just put a hold on her 2011 movie Take This Waltz (Michelle Williams and Seth Rogen) and will later get her 2012 documentary Stories We Tell (a documentary she made about her family).

One disappointment about Women Talking is not about the movie, but that there were no acting nominations for anyone in the cast at the Oscars, the BAFTAs, the Golden Globes or the Independent Spirit Awards. And no specific nominations for any acting performance at Screen Actors Guild Awards, although the cast was nominated for best ensemble.

watchthis!!

40 Years in the Making: The Magic Music Movie is a pretty interesting documentary about a pop/folk band that broke up in 1975 before even releasing an album. They are also the favourite college band of writer/director Lee Aronsohn, who made this movie after The Big Bang Theory filmed it’s final season (Aronsohn was a producer and writer for that show). He tracks down all the people who were in the band at one time or another and interviews them all. Magic Music was a mix of The Eagles, America and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. They had a few opportunities to record an album, but it never worked out…sometimes due to all fault of their own. I thought this was a good movie about a talented group of people who the world never got to know, while Colorado still celebrates their music over 40 years after they disbanded.

PeterG

My last Oscar-nominated movie review (at least for now):

I’m perplexed ast to why The Fabelmans garnered so much critical acclaim and award recognition. It’s a fine movie. If there’s a problem with the movie, I’d say it was the direction of Steven Spielberg. Is this a sentimental nod to his family history? A coming of age story around anti-semitism? A love letter to the world of film? A story of family dysfunction and heartbreak? It just seemed all over the place to me. Trying too much to be too many things at the same time, so the focus was lacking. I mentioned in a previous post that I didn’t think this was Michelle Williams best work, but even more shocking was that Judd Hirsch was Oscar-nominated for best supporting actor. I’m guessing he had less screen than Judi Dench did when she won for Shakespeare In Love. Gabriel LaBelle as the lead character Sammy carries the movie. There’s not much flashy for him to do, but he’s in pretty much every scene and if his performance fails, the movie fails.

Interesting that for award nominations, The Fabelmans received:
  • Seven Oscar nominations
  • Ten Critics' Choice Awards nominations
  • Five Golden Globe nominations…but only…
  • One BAFTA nomination

Cachoo

One of the more delightful documentaries I've watched is now free on Freevee:

Cachoo

Netflix was showing a preview about a seemingly down and out mother telling her son she was back in his life. I didn't recognize the actress. Of course it was the always unrecognizable Andrea Riseborough. Someday I am going to see a preview or watch a film and say "that's Andrea" but so far it hasn't happened and I've seen her a lot. I think this is the film that netted her the Oscar nominaiton.

watchthis!!

The Bad Batch is a weird movie. More a weird bad rather than a good bad. For about half of the movie, there isn’t even any dialogue. The movie takes places in a post-apocalyptic world where those who are considered to be “the bad batch” are banished to the desert and left to fend for themselves. Arlen (played by Suki Waterhouse) is the main character, a young woman just trying to survive another day. She lives amongst (or tries to escape) a weird batch of characters played by the likes of Jason Momoa, Keanu Reeves, Jim Carrey, Giovanni Ribisi, and Diego Luna. Quite the cast. Just not sure why they signed up for this movie. Maybe the chance to play a weird and wild character? I’d recommend this one only for someone who is an uber-fan of anyone in the cast and you absolutely MUST see every movie they have been in.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My top six favourite things about Women Talking:
  • Rooney Mara arguably gives the best performance of her career
  • The story is so different from what we usually see in the world of movies
  • Sheila McCarthy, a Canadian treasure, gets to be seen by the world and excels brilliantly in her performance
  • While I’m unsure about how I feel about the ending, it topples what movies are supposed to do in their final act..onto it’s HEAD!
  • And everybody else in the cast…so much talent! Claire Foy, Jessie Buckley, Judith Ivey and Ben Whishaw
  • Frances McDormand and Brad Pitt using their Hollywood clout to produce such an original work

I was quite anxious about how the movie would end. So both good writing and directing at play here (both by Sarah Polley). I agree with your final thoughts about the movie. But at the same time, there are moments which are quite intense and fiery. And some moments there are quick vocal rages and disagreements which jolt you into paying attention, demanding you pay attention to every word that's being spoken.

I'm also happy for her win with this movie. She was also nominated fifteen years ago for Away From Her (which starred Julie Christie, Gordon Pinsent and Olympia Dukakis). I hope she is acknowledged for her directing more in the future. Women Talking is her fourth movie where she is both director and writer. I have just put a hold on her 2011 movie Take This Waltz (Michelle Williams and Seth Rogen) and will later get her 2012 documentary Stories We Tell (a documentary she made about her family).

One disappointment about Women Talking is not about the movie, but that there were no acting nominations for anyone in the cast at the Oscars, the BAFTAs, the Golden Globes or the Independent Spirit Awards. And no specific nominations for any acting performance at Screen Actors Guild Awards, although the cast was nominated for best ensemble.
The reason for not getting any acting nominations may be because there was no real lead character. All were supporting and all were good. It would be hard to nominate just one or two, though I feel Rooney Mara deserved a nomination. This is an amazing movie. It is unique in the sense it violates many rules of screenplay writing and yet it is a masterpiece.

Davy88gtbwxyc

"Chef Flynn" is a solid documentary that really hits the mark. It's all about Flynn McGarry, a bona fide prodigy in the kitchen. The film does an excellent job capturing his inventive cooking and the unique vibe of his home-run supper club.

One of the highlights is how it delves into the culinary world's fascination with young stars like Flynn. It makes you ponder what it means to gain such fame at a young age.

Cameron Yates, the director, absolutely nails it. He skillfully balances Flynn's personal story with the broader world of gastronomy. It's not just for food lovers - the themes of passion, ambition, and breaking barriers will resonate with many.

In short, "Chef Flynn" is a must-see. It's a potent reminder that there's no age limit on chasing your dreams.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have still not watched the entire EEAAO. After watching the first 30 minutes I stopped. Then I got very busy. Just returned from a trip and will start another trip after 12 days. Will need to squeeze in the movie. TBH I have hated it so far. Not sure I can stand the rest of it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I finally had time to watch Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves and it's SO MUCH FUN. I think this is the vibe that the new Willow series was going for... and failed.

I assume that the races and creatures they meet along the way and the spells and weapons they use are based on the DnD game but, really, they could be based on anything.

PeterG

Black Narcissus is a highly regarded psychological drama from 1947 starring Deborah Kerr. Rotten tomatoes has a 100% approval rating from critics and 88% from viewers. But I did not enjoy it. The movie takes place at a very remote, rundown palace where nuns have been sent to set up a school and a hospital. Is it the isolation, or is it something about this place which has a very unsettling effect on those sent there? Everyone seems to suffer more as the movie progresses. Happiness is not in the cards for everyone. So...not a fun movie to watch. Plus the direction seems to have a haphazard, scattered feel to it. Perhaps this was done on purpose, but I think I just did not like that style of direction.

Trailer for Black Narcissus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpIMTC9ZBns

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I looooooved Empire Of Light. Such a fantastic movie. Olivia Colman is brilliant as usual. Shame that the movie only got one Oscar nomination (for cinematography). Wikipedia lists that this movie got a lot of award nominations, but won only one: best director for Sam Mendes at the Toronto Film Festival. As for Colman, I think her performance was better than Michelle Yeoh’s (it hurts to say that as I’ve loved Yeoh for quite a while) and also better than Michelle Williams in The Fabelmans. (And no, I am not prejudiced against actresses named Michelle.) :D And lastly, Micheal Ward as Stephen Murray is a great new addition to the world of film.

Trailer for Empire Of Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JA3bD5xs-Q
This was such a good movie. One of the best one I have seen this year.

VGThuy

I have still not watched the entire EEAAO. After watching the first 30 minutes I stopped. Then I got very busy. Just returned from a trip and will start another trip after 12 days. Will need to squeeze in the movie. TBH I have hated it so far. Not sure I can stand the rest of it.
Maybe you should just not watch it if it pains you that much.

watchthis!!

The Great Gilly Hopkins seems to be presented as a kid’s movie, but to me it’s more of a film for older audiences about a youth's story. Gilly Hopkins can be quite mean at times...so mean that she keeps being moved from one foster home to another. Until eventually she finds herself in the home of Maime Trotter, played by Kathy Bates (who is pretty much the polar opposite of the title character Bates played in the movie Misery). Over time, Gilly (played by Sophie Nelisse, now in the Showtime series Yellowjackets) softens over time…somewhat. But just as she settles into her new home, new family and new life…her Grandmother shows up (played by Glenn Close). This movie is kind of sweet, but also has a hard edge to it. Everyone’s great in this movie, other cast members include Julia Stiles, Billy Magnussen and Octavia Spencer.

Maybe you should just not watch it if it pains you that much.

I can make the decision (to watch or not) on my own. Thank you.

I don't think discussion around moves always has to be pretty. Some movies are an easy watch and some are difficult. I don't think we should be afraid to critique movies harshly if that's how they make us feel. Posts like that of @Vash might bring about encouragement to watch a movie that's worth sticking with even if the beginning taxes us in some ways. That's how I feel about this movie. Stick with it. I hope you find it worthwhile, even if it means watching it in bits and pieces...no longer how long it takes you to get there.

PeterG

Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story (2015) is quite an interesting movie-industry documentary about two behind-the-scenes people who did SO much for the movie world…yet we’ve never heard of them. Harold started out his Hollywood career as a storyboard artist, drawing out each and every scene for each movie project he was hired for. Lillian eventually moved into film research and props. Her collection of information became a large, invaluable studio library. Harold eventually moved into art direction, earning two Oscar nominations for Terms Of Endearment and the very first Star Trek movie. Lillian never garnered any award recognition, but perhaps she will receive some honourary awards in time. Apparently she is still alive, even though she was born back in 1928.

Trailer for Harold and Lillian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfc3aAQ_UTI

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information