Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

VGThuy

And here I thought “Naatu Naatu” was one of the more deserved wins at the Oscars. I sometimes think Best Song shouldn’t be an Oscar category, especially when so many songs are just placed in the end credits, but songs that are actually utilized in the film or set the mood for the film make me reconsider that:

“Lift Me Up” really was a powerful song though and one I would actually enjoy outside the context of the film.

PeterG

Really disagree with this. Naatu Naatu was the better song for me and the dance routine was amazing. :swoon:

You would actually listen to Naatu Naatu outside of listening to it while watching the movie?

Also, I wonder if others like you loved the dance routine. And the dancing helped them win best song while the Academy has never awarded dance in the film world in any way.

On My Own

Didn't Let It Go win? I would be surprised if the animation didn't figure into it, and I think that song's much worse.

I do like Rihanna's quite a lot though. It's the better piece of plain music to me.

watchthis!!

Grace is left a widow after her husband jumps out of an airplane. It gets worse. The dead husband has left Grace deeply in debt and she is seconds away from losing everything. But she's great at growing flowers. Her gardner, played by Craig Ferguson (who also co-wrote the movie) suggests what could bring in some cash: growing marijuana. Grace is desperate, so she gives it a go. Brenda Blethyn plays the title character very well. You can't help but root for her. Saving Grace is the type of movie that is filled with wacky and loveable townspeople. A warm blanket kind of movie. :)

Saving Grace trailer

VGThuy

Honestly, when giving an Oscar, I think it context with the movie matters. It’s not just awarding a good song but a song that furthers the storytelling and mood of the film.

You can argue “Lift Me Up” served the story of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever by tying up the sense of
loss and grief and having to move on from it.
However, it’s not unreasonable to vote for “Naatu Naatu” since it was an integral part of the plot and played during an actual scene of the movie. The dance and the beat was part of the song and the song served as storytelling.

PeterG

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish is another Oscar nominee watched. Lots of effort put into the movie. Great animation and talened voice cast (Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Harvey Guillén, Florence Pugh, Olivia Colman, Ray Winstone and John Mulaney). But this one didn’t seem to have much crossover potential for adult viewers. Or maybe I’m just not interested in animated movies much anymore. Not that animation as a genre was much of a draw for me ever, but there are lots of good ones out there. This one just seemed like a lot of energy but not much depth.

manhn

I think context definitely matters for Song. I think the songs like Pop! Goes My Heart is the best movie some ever, but I am not suggesting it is the best song ever.

Teasers, I think, are a byproduct of how much we know about the production of movies these days. We know about casting, initial deals, etc. Trailers don’t work until the film is fully done and edited. Teasers allow for the interest to maintain over a longer period of time.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I think the songs like Pop! Goes My Heart is the best movie some ever, but I am not suggesting it is the best song ever.
Music and Lyrics is a great movie! :love: I love the ode to Pop Up Video at the end of the movie.

watchthis!!

The Water Diviner is a wonderful 2014 drama starring Russell Crowe, who directs for the first time with this movie. He has done an amazing job behind the camera. Great story about an Australian man who goes to Turkey after World War I to try to find the bodies of his three sons, all who perished during the war. Crowe’s character stays with a Turkish family, who run a hotel from their home. The Water Diviner wasn’t acknowledged for international awards, but it did win three of Australia’s version of the Oscars for Best Film, Costume Design and supporting actor for the immensely talented Yılmaz Erdogan.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Started watching EEAAO last night. It was too crazy for me and it made me sleepy. So after 30 min. I went to sleep. Will watch it later. I want to watch the full movie so I can say whether it did or did not deserve all those awards.

Davy88gtbwxyc

I recently watched "War Dogs," and I gotta say, it was a really entertaining movie! Based on a true story, it follows two young guys, David Packouz (Miles Teller) and Efraim Diveroli (Jonah Hill), who dive into the risky world of arms dealing. Their chemistry on screen is awesome – they're funny and relatable, which makes their characters feel more real.

The movie mixes humor and serious themes pretty well. It's wild to see these inexperienced guys getting involved in high-stakes deals and dangerous situations, but you still want them to succeed somehow.

What's cool about "War Dogs" is that it also makes you think about the moral choices people make when chasing after wealth. The film shows the lengths some are willing to go for success, even if it means bending the rules. Although it doesn't dive too deep into the consequences of their actions, it still gets you thinking about what people are willing to do for money.

If you like dark comedies based on true stories, you should definitely give "War Dogs" a watch. It's a fun ride that also gets you thinking a bit about the choices we make in life.

PeterG

PBS recently aired the concert film "Luther Vandross - An Evening of Songs at Albert Hall". I have always thought that Vandross was one of the best male vocalists of all time. After seeing this concert film, I'm wondering if he the best. He must have had perfect pitch because not only did he never miss a note, but the tone is perfection and all the improvisation he does with his songs are just perfect. Possibly making the songs better than the recorded versions.

I wonder if there will be a documentary film about his life one day. He wrote and produced for Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross and Whitney Houston. He did duets with Mariah Carey, Frank Sinatra, Janet Jackson, Gregory Hines and Beyonce.
And he performed on albums by David Bowie, Roberta Flack, Donny Hathaway, Todd Rundgren, Judy Collins, Chaka Khan, Bette Midler, Ben E. King, Stevie Wonder, Carly Simon, Barbra Streisand, Cat Stevens, Ringo Starr, Sister Sledge and Donna Summer. Maybe instead of a movie about Vandross it should be a mini-series so that we could have enough episodes to feature all the stories that could be told with so many legends!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and it lives up to the hype! Although I’m not sure about it being the best MCU movie since Endgame. Lots of action + sappy drama + Quantumania type weirdness. :cheer2:
The best MCU movie is and will be for a long time (perhaps forever), Black Panther.

manhn

Breaking Fast: A gay Arab man, Mo, who is a doctor living in West Hollywood. He has an accepting family, but things swerve when he breaks up with a closeted gay Arab whose family is not so accepting. Mo is dealing with heartbreak when he meets a white man during Ramadan. Their courtship takes place during the holy month, usually at night when Mo can break fast and eat. It is less about accepting gayness and more about a man needing to accept the messiness of life and to acknowledge the suffering and pain of other people. It was a sweet romcom with lovely performances. Just wonderful.

LeafOnTheWind

I'm hoping Dune: Part Two is better. The first had so many setups though in introducing people and worldbuilding politics. I don't how you can make a lot of that interesting even if it's useful to know for why things are happening. Part Two is building off of where the action really starts in this story.

Davy88gtbwxyc

"Chips," the 2017 movie with Dax Shepard and Michael Peña, is a decent watch if you're up for some laughs and cool bike chases. Shepard and Peña play motorcycle cops in LA, and they have some pretty funny moments together.

Despite the occasional juvenile humor and a story that could use a bit more depth, the film still manages to entertain with its lighthearted take on the cop genre. The characters might not be super complex, but they're endearing in their own way.

One thing's for sure, the film really gives you a taste of LA's energetic vibe. The high-speed chases and adrenaline-pumping action are definitely a highlight. As for the script and soundtrack, they do their job and add to the overall atmosphere of the film. In the end, "Chips" makes for a good time if you're looking for some easy-going humor and action.

PeterG

My Darling Clementine is a 1946 John Ford western which stars Henry Fonda, Linda Darnell and Victor Mature. It is regarded as many as one of the best westerns ever made. Rotten tomatoes has it at a 100% approval rating from critics and 86% fresh from viewer votes. Fonda plays Wyatt Earp and Mature plays Doc Holliday. The two are at odds with each other, but as the Clanton clan wreaks more havoc on the town, Earp and Holliday join forces. I like this movie, the cast is very strong, which includes Walter Brennan who you will recognize once you see him and even more so when your hear that voice. Brennan won three of the four Oscars he was nominated for and has 244 credits at imdb.com.

Trailer for My Darling Clementine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aF5QQoGgCE

watchthis!!

Free Renty: Lanier V. Harvard is an interesting documentary about Tamara Lanier and her great-great-great grandfather, an enslaved man named Renty. In 1850, photos were taken of Renty by a Harvard biologist to show the superiority of the white race. These photos are sto;; owned by Harvard and are used often, sometimes in ways which Lanier (and family) have found to be painful. Renty never gave consent for his photos to be taken, so in this documentary, Lanier fights for ownership of the images of her ancestor. This movie is really made well, it moves quickly and before you know it, it’s wrapping up.

Two specific things I liked about this movie is about how caring and passionate all the lawyers are. Well, with the exception of the Harvard lawyer. Also, seeing ancestors of the Harvard biologist support Lanier so kindly in her quest was amazing. I’m surprised this movie didn’t get some ward recognition because it’s that good.

You can watch Free Renty: Lanier V. Harvard for free at Tubi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information