Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

Japanfan

Finally watched Everything, Everywhere All at Once. I really loved it. My mother thinks there's something wrong with me--she hated it and my brother couldn't finish it; he loathed it. Bah. I enjoyed it and mine is the only reality of consequence. Since it won the Oscar, I am the the AlphaMatry of movies, and they're the raccoon versions (which makes sense, or not, if you've watched the movie)
I hated it also. Mr. Japanfan enjoyed it. A friend's child watched it five times.

It really seems to be a love or hate thing.

LeafOnTheWind

I love Hitchcock but Strangers on a Train leaves me wanting better plot lines when it comes to the police trying to solve the murder. I think that's where the plot falls down for me. There are so many weaknesses in the police suspecting Guy of his wife's murder. Wouldn't he have had a train ticket stub proving where he got on and off the train the night of the murder? Hitchcock kind of explains it but all of the "proof" of guilt and innocence between the police and the two men just irritate me. This is one of the weaker Hitchcock films for me.

Robert Walker is perfect as a calculating, conniving all around creepy guy. There are enough hints that his father is abusive but you also wonder how much mental illness is floating around that house. He very adeptly turns Guy's life into a nightmare and that is where Strangers on a Train shines. IMO he carried that movie and helped Hitchcock turn it into a movie that stands up in suspense. His performance brings me back to watching this movie when the rest loses my interest.

PeterG

So I watched Tar only because it was a (multiple) Oscar nominee. I had posted about how AWFUL the trailer was and because it made the movie look so UNBEARABLY depressing. So Tar looked like the least interesting movie possible to me. Well, whoever made that trailer should be banned from any kind of involvement in the movie industry, because this was a GREAT movie. Now I see why there was so much discussion about whether Michelle Yeoh or Cate Blanchett should have won best actress. And which of the two movies they were in should have won best picture. I will stick to talking about Tar here, though. It’s pretty much a perfect movie. The direction, the script, every single performance…and I’m not a gigantic classical music fan, but the recording of the music in this movie is phenomenal. I’m so glad that I watched this movie and I listened to the Oscar nominations rather than the horrible trailer used to promote this movie.

Cachoo

Whelp—I thought it could not get any worse when Netflix offered up the appalling adaptation of “Persuasion.” But this is Oscar material compared to the recent new Idris Elba film “Luther: The Fallen Sun.” Wow what a steaming (streaming) pile of crap. I’m sad that Elba and Andy Serkis are associated with it. I’d change my name if it was on that screenplay. Just awful.

VGThuy

Not bad for a plumber! :p
Really happy for this. The critics didn’t understand who this movie was actually made for, and on that front, it totally succeeded. Now for a Zelda and Metroid film, Nintendo and Illumination will need more serious writers who can delve into deeper characterizations and themes. For Metroid, a female writer would be great. For Zelda, they should not shy away from the more mature themes of loss, guilt, and more spiritual Japanese themes.

watchthis!!

Big Driver is a female revenge movie starring Maria Bello. It originally aired on Lifetime in 2014 and is based on a Stephen King story. And it is one of the worst directed movies I think I have ever seen. Big Driver co-stars Oscar winner Olympia Dukakis, Emmy winner Ann Dowd and Grammy winner Joan Jett. The director leads all of them (including Golden Globe nominee Bello) to their worst performances ever. Well, maybe with the exception of Joan Jett, strangely enough, who is quite decent in her small role. The movie is about a mystery writer who is beaten and raped and then takes her revenge. Often with Stephen King works, the writer fixes and adds to the work of King, improving it. But here, it’s like they took what was written in the book and somebody yelled, “ACTION”! Very unfortunate that this cast wasn’t treated much, much better than they are here.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I saw Air on the weekend with a friend. I had heard good things about it but really enjoyed it. For something that you wondered how could they make a movie about how Michael Jordon got his Nike contract, they did do a great job of making it interesting and engaging. It really was the start of big contracts for sports stars.

manhn

I saw Showing Up, the latest collaboration between Michelle Williams and Kelly Reichardt. It was excellent! About an artist about to open a show, and still having to deal with the things we all have to deal with. It shows that the life of an artist is really not much different for any professional or worker, as long as there is some aspect of drive, skill and interest.

watchthis!!

Rising Against Asian Hate: One Day In March is a television documentary that aired on PBS last year. It is a very strong piece of work. The documentary starts with the news coverage of the 2021 spa shootings in Atlanta. This is a focal point of this film, which later looks at anti-Asian-American violence throughout the U.S. as well as activists and politicians working to bring about positive change for the Asian-American communities. Sandra Oh is the narrator.

You can view the entire documentary on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZXQmgvZ43Y

PeterG

I watched two episodes of "Origins Of Hip-Hop" which aired on A & E in 2022. The episode on Eve was quite strong. I wasn’t sure if I would watch any of the other episodes as I’m not a big fan of rap, but I am really glad that I decided to watch the Grandmaster Flash episode as well. The episode is great not only because of how they show how pivitol he was in the development of rap as a musical genre, but also how his interest in the now basic electronic equipment could be used as a musical instrument. And then the episode gets even better. We get some detailed information about how record companies can not only manipulate artists and take advantage of them, but also about the havoc that can be inflicted upon up and coming talent. This was a fantastic look at the music industry on many levels.

Davy88gtbwxyc

"My Imaginary Country" is a touching documentary by Chilean filmmaker Patricio Guzmán that explores his personal connection to Chile's history and politics. The film blends archival footage with stunning visuals of the Chilean landscape, and touches on themes such as political oppression, human rights abuses, and social inequality. Guzmán's poetic and introspective journey through Chile's past and present reminds us of the power of memory and storytelling to shape our understanding of the world around us. Overall, "My Imaginary Country" is a moving and powerful tribute to the resilience and perseverance of the Chilean people.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Finally watched The Whale on dvd. It was really tough to watch. I am guessing it would be even tougher in a theater. The acting was great, but I can't really say that I liked the movie. It was well made.The side story of the young man Thomas was interesting. The relationship with the daughter was developed well.

At the end it was nice to see the positive, though it was not what I had hoped for.

It is possible that I don't enjoy movies based on plays, although in this case the stage to screen conversion was done really well. I can't place a finger on what bothered me about it. That's odd.

I may give it 7/10, though it was not a movie I really enjoyed.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Finally watched The Whale on dvd. It was really tough to watch. I am guessing it would be even tougher in a theater. The acting was great, but I can't really say that I liked the movie. It was well made.The side story of the young man Thomas was interesting. The relationship with the daughter was developed well.

At the end it was nice to see the positive, though it was not what I had hoped for.

It is possible that I don't enjoy movies based on plays, although in this case the stage to screen conversion was done really well. I can't place a finger on what bothered me about it. That's odd.

I may give it 7/10, though it was not a movie I really enjoyed.
I agree with you, it's a hard movie to "enjoy" and I couldn't imagine watching it more than once. One scene actually made me feel sick to my stomach. It is pretty difficult to watch through, even with the great acting.

watchthis!!

Blackwood is a small-budget horror western about the Indigenous legend The Wendigo. And boy, is this one small-budget. It looks good, so kudos to the cinematographer, but not much else about this movie is very good. The movie is about a Native American woman trying to evade a cowboy gang out for revenge. She escapes into a wooded area where the Wendigo is known to haunt. The performances in this is good enough (no one in the cast was anyone I recognized) but the director seems to be M.I.A. There is a good movie in here somewhere, but director Chris Canfield is not up to the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP737QjTT3c

manhn

I enjoyed A Tourist’s Guide to Love on Netflix, starring Racheal Leigh Cook as an executive of an American travel agency firm that is considering buying out a Vietnamese tourist outfit as a way of entering Asian travel market. She flies to Vietnam to join one of their groups, to get intel. She is recovering from a breakup, and she generates heat with the tourist group leader.

The couple had a nice chemistry, but the beauty of Vietnam got me. It was basically my itinerary when I went to Vietnam 15 years ago except in reverse. It is kinda funny that the tourist guide provided an alternative tour of the country, because the actual tourist areas would be too expensive and impossible to shoot, heh. But that’s fine too. Something like the Golden Hand Bridge was too new for me.

The grandma (Ba Noi) was a hoot. Can’t wait for more romcoms set in Vietnam!!!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I saw Super Mario Bros. finally last week. The storyline is very bare-bones and it took a while to get me interested. What saves the movie for me is the nostalgic music and several scenes that pay tribute to different Mario iterations-- Mario having to complete a course very similar to a level in the third game or Super Mario World, Mario Kart, etc.

PeterG

Carmen is a 2021 romantic drama which rates as one of the best movies I have seen in quite a long time. Natascha McElhone stars as the title character, a woman who has spent her life caring for her brother, a Roman Catholic priest. When her brother passes away, Carmen decides to explore things that she has suppressed for many, many years. Carmen is beautifully directed (as well as written) by Valerie Buhagiar who has more credits for acting than directing. Lucky for us, it looks like her career is moving behind the camera, because we need a LOT more movies from this woman. Carmen is pretty much perfect from start to finish and considering it could easily be a thematically heavy movie, the direction continually lifts us up and makes us glad that we get to be a part of this story of rebirth and joy in one’s life, even if long overdue.

Trailer for Carmen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edneTLinrM8

P.S. Carmen has a 100% approval rating from critics at rottentomatoes.com and 69% approval from viewers.

watchthis!!

The Beatles: Get Back is the 2021 documentary of footage from 1969 that was filmed for the feature film 'Let It Be.' I found the first part of this almost eight hour mini-series to be over-long. It could have been edited down by 25% (maybe more). But the next two parts are fantastic. There is a lot of stuff to comment on. First, how much they seemed to like each other when this was supposed to be the time they were crumbling before the band broke up. Yes, George Harrison quits the band for a few days between part one and two, but he’s back soon enough. I also enjoyed seeing each member playing an instrument they were not known to play (Ringo on piano, John on drums, etc.) Also interesting was to see how Paul McCartney was the fire within the band, both creatively and focus-wise. From stories that I’ve been told, people talk about John Lennon possibly being the focal point of the group, but from this footage, I’m not sure how much Lennon would have accomplished without McCartney there to constantly nudge him (and the others). Although Ringo always seemed to be the first one to arrive and get ready to work. Lots more I could say, but I’ll stop now in case others have seen this and would like to add something! :D

PeterG

I quite enjoyed Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Nice to see an action/Marvel movie which has mainly females as the lead characters. Danai Gurira (Michonne on The Walking Dead) is strong as usual and has a phenomenal scene with the perfect Angela Bassett. Winston Duke as M'Baku makes the most of his little time on screen. And Tenoch Huerta Mejía is a wonderful new discovery as (King) Namor.

Wakanda Forever was nominated for five Oscars, losing Visual Effects to Avatar: The Way Of Water, which must be fantastic because the effects for Wakanda Forever were very strong. The only Oscar win was a deserved one for Ruth Brown’s costume design (winning over a worthy mention of Jenny Beavan for Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris). Rihanna wrongly lost best original song (Lift Me Up) to the abysmal Naatu Naatu from RRR. I tried listening to Naatu Naatu on youtube and couldn’t make it all the way through. And I’m interested in seeing Triangle of Sadness to see if Wakanda Forever was robbed of a best picture nomination.

But the biggest Oscar subject for this movie is Angela Bassett losing best supporting actress. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Although not as wrong as [BIG SPOILER]
the idiotic Marvel people killing off Bassett’s Queen Ramonda. I kept waiting for her to return in the movie with her death being faked to unsettle the enemy.
But in spite of the Oscar losses, this is a good Marvel movie.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Watched a 2019 movie 'The best of enemies'. It is based on a true story about school integration in 1971, in Durham, NC. If that name sounds familiar, Duke university - a basketball powerhouse- is in Durham.

Sam Rockwell plays a kK Klan leader C.P. Ellis. Taraji P. Henson plays Ann Atwater, a civil rights activist. Both are unwillingly made co-chairs of a community group to integrate schools in Durham. They hate each other. The meetings last for 10 days, at the end of which there is a vote on school integration. As they start talking, their stance toward each other softens. Ann Heche plays C.P.'s wife. Both actors Rockwell and Henson do an excellent job of portraying the characters. The 1971 atmosphere includes frequent use of the N word. Gas price at the pump was $0.26 (this is not a typo).

This is a well made movie, true to life. A few scenes were added to create drama. It shows how prejudice and bias can be eliminated/reduced if different people talk to each other and find that they have something in common. I have seen Many diversity courses at work use this method.

The best part was in The special features where they interviewEd the real life C.P. And Ann, who became life long friends after this. They toured the country to share their experiences. They worked together for 30 years. We learn how and why CP joined the Klan (to feel a part of something bigger) but he learned that understanding and helping each other is better than hatred. He left the Klan and lost many friends as a result, but he got on the right path, of helping the society. He found something much bigger.

An uplifting story.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information