Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Finally got to see Top Gun 2 tonight. It totally lived up to the hype, which I was a little reticent about since I'd heard it was more character-driven than solely focused on the flying, and no-one watches Top Gun for the character arcs. You watch it for the planes and the shirtless sporting sequence. ;)

One thing's for sure: the Academy better get over it's snobbery because if that movie doesn't get some kind of cinematography award it will be a goddamn crime. It makes the original Top Gun look like it was shot by amatuers.

More thoughts:

They really, really smacked us in the face with the Goose feels, ouch. Perfect casting for Rooster, he's the spitting image. I wasn't really feeling the Penny Benjamin storyline as much though (but I'm just here for some fighter jets).

I absolutely loved that Maverick and Iceman are complete besties, and the implication that Ice basically spends half his time personally ensuring that Maverick can't be kicked out of the Navy. But oof, I wasn't ready for the Val Kilmer feels or the sudden death of Iceman and the funeral.

I've been mulling over the tension between Rooster and Maverick and Maverick pulling Rooster's papers and I still don't quite know how I feel about it. On the one hand, it feels really out of character for the character who absolutely cannot move on from flying to prevent someone he loves flying, and part of Maverick's arc in the first film is that he resents that his rep is bad because of his father and he was rejected from the Academy himself. On the other, it's actually super in character for Maverick to take the fall for Carole, and also to want Rooster not to fly, in a callback to when Goose tells him he's afraid of the way Maverick flies sometimes like he's against a ghost. Maybe Maverick is afraid Rooster will be flying against Goose's ghost.

The idea that Rooster and Maverick aren't actually buddy-buddy father-son substitute was a good plot element though and I like that Maverick had to learn to have faith in Rooster and vice versa. The theatre positively shouted in joy when Rooster came back in and blew that helicopter up.

Hangman. I don't know what Hangman's deal was. I feel like they tried to start him off as the Iceman substitute and then sort of shifted him into a composite Iceman/Maverick character. Except if that was the intention, it showed they never understood those characters at all. Both Iceman and Maverick were arrogant and made remarks at one another, but they weren't mean about it. Hangman was downright nasty at times, and though they sort of gave him a mini-redemption at the end, it wasn't like Ice, who you knew all along was a decent person.

I can see why this is the blockbuster of the year so far. That, and this is really a big-screen movie. The boom of the jets is so powerful through those huge speakers, I could feel the floor vibrating.

alexikeguchi

Just watched the Indian film RRR that is getting a fair amount of attention. Honestly, it’s a hoot! It’s like a mix of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ben Hur, and George of the Jungle, with some pretty good Bollywood style dancing. We watched on Netflix but hubby now wants to see it on the big screen since it’s come back to theaters in many locations.
Your description made this sound like something I would like, and I am watching it now. What an awesome find! Thanks!

watchthis!!

I saw the latest Downton Abbey movie last week. Went mainly to escape a hot spell here, although I am a fan of Downton Abbey. It's just that I've only watched the first season and didn't see the previous movie, so there were characters I knew nothing about. But I loved season one of the show, so I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed this. Beautifully filmed, enjoyable story, top-notch performances. Was said
and VERY disappointed that Maggie Smith's character died. Saw no point for this to happen, my only guess is that Smith wants to retire from acting???
I was happy to see that the
gay butler might have found happiness
. I guess we need to wait for the third movie to find out? :D

DreamSkates

I remember watching the “60 Minutes” story about this couple so I wanted to see “Jerry and Marge Go Large” on Paramount. Bryan Cranston and Annette Benning were well cast (are they ever bad?) and the story of how they shared their good fortune to help their small town is a nice way to spend a few hours.
I just watched this a few days ago, and really enjoyed it. A breathe of fresh air during these times.

clairecloutier

watchthis!!

Finding Vivian Maier is a documentary about a world-class photographer...that nobody had ever heard of. That's because Maier worked as a nanny and never shared her work with the world. After her death, some of her film negatives were purchased at an auction and the purchaser (who made this movie) was so amazed by her work that he began the hunt down more of her work and to learn why her work remained in storage boxes for all her life.

I enjoyed Maier's "street photography" and getting to learn about this unknown (and incredible) talent. Cool that the man who made this movie was willing to take such time to learn more about her life. Finding Vivian Maier was nominated for best documentary at both the Academy Awards and the BAFTA awards. It lost to Citizenfour, the documentary about Edward Snowden.

Davy88gtbwxyc

James Bond's "No Time To Die" starring Daniel Craig was quite good.

Maybe not very original in terms of its plot, but still good nonetheless.

I found the Bond villain in this movie to be rather dark and alluring.

Daniel Craig always does an exceptional job at playing James Bond, and I couldn't help but applaud his performance.

Cachoo

I just watched Everything Everywhere All At Once and honestly, it's going to take a lot for any other new release this year to top that. It's so good. I wish I had been able to catch it in theatre but April was a busy month for me and the movie was only here for a couple of weeks.
I rented it today and knew I would probably be dazzled by the fractured worlds. I did NOT expect to be so moved by this film. This family was perfectly cast imho. I hope they all receive award nominations. And Jaime Lee Curtis is a hoot in a supporting role. There is a powerful message about listening and hearing and loving each other. And I liked that the film moved between languages and I didn’t give that a second thought.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Thor: Love and Thunder: Absolutely ridiculous and absolutely wonderful! Loved every moment of it! Loved the goats and the children! All the actors did a wonderful job!
I saw this on the weekend with a friend. We had so much fun watching it. No-one takes themselves seriously and they look like they had a blast making it. Taika as a director really knows how to get the best out of the humour, either with the dialogue or the action. Agree about the goats. It could have become a tired joke by the end but it kept working.

Russell Crowe as Zues - his gay Greek accent is a killer
Melissa McCarthy as Hela
The goats
Asgard as a tourist attraction

In fact Taika was being interviewed about the kids. He said they used members of the cast kids. The reason he gave why they used them - "They were cheap labour".

Davy88gtbwxyc

"High Risk High Rise" was an informative documentary that spoke of the some of the potential risks/dangers associated with high rise buildings that are very quickly permeating throughout many parts of the world in order to accommodate the ever increasing human population.

This film did a good job at sheding some light on some important issues that I believe might often be overlooked.

So kudos to the writer/director of this film for their efforts in bringing awareness to such an important aspect of modern day architecture.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Got around to watching Downton Abbey: A New Era last night (Aussies, we can buy it on Amazon Prime for $19.99).
I saw the latest Downton Abbey movie last week. Went mainly to escape a hot spell here, although I am a fan of Downton Abbey. It's just that I've only watched the first season and didn't see the previous movie, so there were characters I knew nothing about. But I loved season one of the show, so I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed this. Beautifully filmed, enjoyable story, top-notch performances. Was said
and VERY disappointed that Maggie Smith's character died. Saw no point for this to happen, my only guess is that Smith wants to retire from acting???
I was happy to see that the
gay butler might have found happiness
. I guess we need to wait for the third movie to find out? :D
I actually fully expected that first one.

Maggie Smith had actually mentioned in interviews that Downton's timeline was a bit screwed up and the Dowager should be close to 100, if not over, if some of the earlier references were right. So it makes actual sense that the Dowager should die in this one. As soon as they said a major character would die I knew it would be her.

Anyway, I was...kind of disappointed?

The film-making subplot was lifted straight out of Singin' in the Rain, right down to the beautiful actress whose whole career is built off her gorgeous face but has a terrible nasally voice, the film's production getting halted by the sudden rise of talkies, the idea to turn it into a talkie, the beautiful actress being unable to act with her voice, another beautiful lady being asked to dub her lines. The only way it differed was that it was the director who got the hots for Lady Mary, rather than the actor. I did enjoy that Cora was able to give the actress an alternative at the end, though.

The villa sub-plot just annoyed the hell out of me because it seemed that everyone had hold of the idiot ball. Simple communication fixes everything here. "Mama, did anything...inappropriate happen on that trip?" "Of course not! I'm offended you'd ask. But the Marquis loved me for the rest of his life." Boom, done, fixed, no "am I really a Frenchman's bastard" angst storyline. But nooo, we have to all throw the idiot ball to one another and give poor Robert an absolute meltdown.

Speaking of idiot balls, while I quite enjoyed Lady Edith in this one (and Bertie is lovely), encouraging her mother to tell Robert her secret at the party while he was already freaking out over the potential being an affair baby thing was...not smart. Robert got hit hard with the angst stick - his mother dying, suddenly he's got this whole identity crisis going on, and then the possibility of his wife dying! Give the poor guy a break!

I'll admit I spent most of the movie yelling at the screen for Thomas not to get involved with the actor. He was giving me sketchy vibes. But done is done and I hope that if they make another Downton that means Thomas is off somewhere happy. The character I was not happy to see absent is Henry. They make him work-obsessed, but they couldn't even wrangle out a minor agreement with the actor to appear for the funeral scene? As if Henry would leave his wife to face that alone!

I also wish we got more character out of Lucy. It seemed like her whole role in the movie was to smile, kiss Tom (not a chore, I'll admit), tell him how happy they are and how much she adores Sybbie. She seems lovely but I just wanted more from their pairing - especially since we went from excited glances to BABY! at the end.

I'll admit I was not ready for the funeral scene. Too much of that scene touched too close to home, especially since it has only been three weeks since I was walking with my family behind my grandfather's coffin. But it was beautifully done, especially the pan-out to the large portrait of Lady Grantham overlooking them all.

watchthis!!

I finished the new version of West Side Story the other day. I started watching it the previous week, seeing just the first hour. Then I got busy doing other stuff. On the plus side with the new version, the dancing is better and Ansel Elgort is a much better Tony than (the nearly forgettable) Richard Beymer – both acting-wise and vocally. (I've seen some pop videos Elgort made a number of years ago and his vocals are WAY better in this movie, he has obviously put a lot of work into improving his vocal abilities.)

But my overall impression of this remake is…”Why?” The original is that good. And as the movie progressed, I kept wondering why they kept the date the same rather than tell the story over again in a different time period. I also thought some of the changes did a dis-service to the story. Moving “I Feel Pretty” to exactly after Riff and Bernardo were stabbed to death was very jarring and very wrong. And while I was initially happy that Rita Moreno was given the biggest song of the movie, I agree with an earlier poster that it didn’t really make sense for her to sing it instead of Maria and Tony. I think it was placed in a different part of the movie than in the original, so that was off as well.

I was surprised that there was so much Spanish dialogue without any subtitles. And I watched it on DVD where there were five subtitle options with none of them letting us know what the characters were saying in Spanish.

Ariana DeBose was as great as expected, but her later scene in the drugstore did not have the impact of the original with Rita Moreno to me. But the dance behind the bleachers with Maria and Tony was beautiful.

Overall, I’m glad I saw this new version but if somebody wanted to see only one, I’d 100% recommend the 1961 version over the 2022 version.

emason

I can't resist: Anyone watch that fabulous new version of "Persuasion" yet? :D
I watched the first 20 minutes or so last night. It was amusing in a sort of train-wreck I can’t look away way, but really, I thought it was vile. Don’t know if I’ll
bother with the rest; I’d rather re-read the book.

watchthis!!

Reasons why I did not want to see Top Gun: Maverick

1. Not my kind of movie
2. Not interested in war-type movies
3. Don’t have an attachment to the first movie, although I probably did see it back in the day
4. Not usually interested in movies that are all about male characters
5. Not interested in bro/dude movies

Reasons why I went to see Top Gun: Maverick

1. It was hot out and I wanted to spend some time in an air conditioned theatre
2. I believe everybody that have posted about it here have pretty much raved about it

Oscar nominations I think Top Gun: Maverick should receive:

1. Best cinematography
2. Best picture
3. Best actor for Tom Cruise

Okay, maybe I’m reaching with the Cruise nomination, but I think this role shows that he is still improving as an actor. And the whole movie does hinge on his character. There are many scenes that go against his persona and he handles each of these scenes in an interesting way.

As for best picture, it’s the top-grossing movie of the year so far and I am not expecting anything to surpass it. (The new Avatar movie won’t be released until December 18th, so that’s not enough time to pass Top Gun.) Would the academy overlook the biggest movie of the year, the movie that brought the most people back into the theatres in these post-pandemic days? Would the academy snub a movie that is captivating from start to finish?

Lastly, the cinematography. Wow…on so many levels. What brilliant work! Visually eye-popping.

So thank you to everyone who has posted about this movie. I might have missed it without you. :D

MacMadame

Doing all the things
As for best picture, it’s the top-grossing movie of the year so far and I am not expecting anything to surpass it. (The new Avatar movie won’t be released until December 18th, so that’s not enough time to pass Top Gun.) Would the academy overlook the biggest movie of the year, the movie that brought the most people back into the theatres in these post-pandemic days? Would the academy snub a movie that is captivating from start to finish?
Why not? They always ignore whether or not a movie is popular when it comes to awards. In fact, sometimes being popular is a handicap.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Watched the 1977 movie 'Close encounters of the third kind' for the second time. I had forgotten how it ended. Surprising twist at the end.

I felt it was slow and long drawn out, though it was interesting. For me personally the exciting part was to see Devils tower on the screen because I visited it last month.

I liked the use of musical notes for communication. The extra terrestsrial forms at the end seemed like an intro to Spielberg's blockbuster E.T. Which came out years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information